• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which section of the Norte?

DLLenehan

Time of past OR future Camino
soon Norte
Hi veterans and previous walkers!.

I have only one week. which would you walk:
San S to Bilbao or Bilbao to Santander?
Which is the nicer route?
thanks
DL

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

thanks
DL

Just my opinion of course, but the two most spectacular stages are Irun to San Sebastian and Guemes to Santander.

if you were starting in Irun I might agree that Irun - Bilbao beats Bilbao - Santander but the awesome beach walking and boat rides in Laredo & Somo, plus the inclusion of Castro Urdiales makes the second option my personal choice.

thanks
DL

DL:

I guess it depends on what you want from your walk. If you plan on walking the entire Norte, it make sense to walk from Irun to Bilbao. This section, imo, is the toughest part of this Camino. If you want to finish in Santiago, I would start in Tapia de Casariego. This is the gentlest part of the Norte but only one day of coast walking.

If I only had a week to walk, I would walk the San Salvador. Start in Leon and then after Oviedo would continue to Gijon on the Coast. The San Salvador has it's own Credential (in Leon Albergue) and Compostela ( in Oviedo Cathedral). This is a beautiful but more sparsely traveled Camino, though recent posts have said it's popularity is growing.

Ultreya,
Joe

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree with Joe, if you plan on coming back to complete it then you should definitely start at the 'beginning'. However this is indeed a very tough stretch, you'll develop the calf muscles of an Austrian goatherd after a week! But I think you'll also enjoy a week in the Basque country, with its distinctive culture and pintxos, and after a day over the basque mountains you'll definitely have earned that first cerveza! ;)

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back