• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which (short) section of the Camino should I take my mother who uses a wheelchair on?

Lina_liebt_Leben

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (2019)
Hello guys,

My name is Lina, 22 year old and I am planning to walk the Camino Frances for the first time starting May 2020.

My mom was diagnosed with MS a while ago and we would always promise each other that we will walk the Camino together when she gets better. Fast forward 10 years and my mother has limited physical abilities: she uses a walker or people for support at home and a wheelchair outside. So me walking the Camino is an emotional experience for me and her alike.
I was wondering if there is a way that she can join me for a short while. My father and her could drive to meet me somewhere and I told her "I'll push you". I know that there are people who have done it before so I am looking for advice if there is a specific section of the Camino that would take 2-4 days where we could push a (normal) wheelchair without too many complications.

For example the last 100km/ 50km/ 20km... can anyone describe how hard it would be?

Best,
Lina

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I wouldn't recommend any of the last 100 km if it is a normal wheelchair. The best one would be, in my opinion, some stretch in the Meseta, for example or the Navarra (starting in Puente la Reina) and La Rioja aeras come also to mind. BC SY

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
To go back to your original question, I would say somewhere between Sahagun to Hospital de Obrigo, they changed the route into Leon last year to a less accessible one so that would have to be looked at. It's mostly flat and has options in some sections for more harder ( asphalt surfaces) and direct paths, you would have the iconic bridge over the Obrigo as the backdrop to ending your mum's Camino.

Last edited:
Hi Lina,

I wish you and your parents all the best.

This blog ( in Dutch only unfortunately ) with inspiring pictures about a pilotproject from a Belgian health care organisation might give you some ideas about the feasibility of using a wheelchair on the Camino.
They walked from Sarria.
Btw the try-out went fine and now the pilgrimage to Santiago is on their yearly list of possible destinations.

Welcome to the forum Lina,
As @Isca-camigo suggests, I'd also recommend the easier path starting in Sahagun through to Leon.
Sahagun is the halfway-point of the Camino Frances - so this will add some significance for you and your parents. Also, as an added safety feature this part of the camino is mostly in view of a road (so, if there is a problem with weather, wheelchair, health etc. you are in reach of a vehicle.
I think this is a beautiful idea and I wish you a Buen Camino.
Davie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I met a couple this year between Fromista and Carrión de los Condes who were doing sections of the Camino that were suitable for the man to do in a wheelchair. He had a standard wheelchair that he could modify with some additional larger wheels that went on the front that made it easier to roll on rough terrain. These were easily swapped out when he wanted to use it normally.
The couple had mapped out sections that would be easier to do in the wheelchair.
I would try to get in touch with the two guys who made the movie I'll Push You for their suggestions. I heard that they took a group in wheelchairs on the Camino this year. You can probably contact them through this website.

Call or message Peggy Sue Lansing
She and several other volunteers spent a week this past October pushing handicapped people in wheelchairs on the camino each day. I believe they took a bus everyday from Santiago to start in a different place each day.

Mods Note: Please don't us contact details of other people on the forum. PM Mike for the details.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back