• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which sleeping bag?

bertietheblue

Hi all

I'll be setting off from St Jean on 1 October. I've got a silk liner but I suppose I'll also need a sleeping bag at this time of year. I only have a 36l Osprey Stratos backpack so I'd need a compact bag. I don't want to spend too much and wondered if a basic, lightweight 1/2 season sleeping bag would be OK? Here are 2 I was looking at - any thoughts?

http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?MenuID=114-119&ItemID=149

http://www.nevisport.com/catdetail-4-catdetail1_id-72-catdetail2_id-360-product_id-833588

Thanks all
Bertie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bertie:

Either one should be fine, unless you plan to camp outside.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was wondering if any one thinks that either of these sleeping bags would be good for the Camino in May/June.

My partner and I will be walking the Camino in 2012 and are planning to camp along most of the route. My partner doesn't want to stay in the accommodation along route as he has read too much about bed-bugs lol...so I'm making him carry the dang tent lol. :wink:

I camped in August, September,and October and used a Marmot Pounder Plus which is a very lightweight bag. Most nights I was comfortable. If it was TOO cold or raining, I stayed inside.

I'm getting ready to put two Golite bags on ebay. They look like this model but are down filled:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/golite ... r~p~92787/

They are really, really light and pretty warm (Rated 40 F). The medium weighs 740 grams, the long 795 grams. We used them for a one week trip in the Canadian Rockies and look like new. We just found that in our old age, it is worth having a slightly heavier bag which unzips flat and allows one to thrash and sprawl. When I was younger I was happy as a clam in narrow, light bag.

These bags have no zipper at all, to save weight. I was able to get them new on ebay for $95 each. I'd be happy to send them to someone on this board for $50 each plus shipping from US.

They would be too warm for a summer camino, but a fall trip they'd be great. Anyway, send me a pm if anyone is interested.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Actually, I would go toward the second bag (Nevisport) due to the slightly lighter weight...but most importantly...it zips all the way open and can be used as a blanket when it is too warm for the bag.

That bag is for children. It is 125 cm long.

Thought it sounded too good to be true

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am going in March, so I am taking my GoLite 40 degree bag. In April, I would take only my nylon sleep sack. I like to be cool when sleeping. If you need to be warm, take a sleeping bag (40 degree rating would be fine).

I opted for a Marmot Arete. You can find them for around $200.

I wanted a bag I could use in the summer for more traditional backpacking in the mountains too, and this seemed to be the best of the ones I tried for less than $200. It has a hood that will cover the head and a nearly full length zipper if you want to use it as a blanket. Not as constricting as some of the other lightweight summer bags I tried. I've spent many a summer night with a bag that is too warm and many a winter night with a bag that is too cold. I'm hoping this will balance out my embarrassingly large collection. :roll:

Actual measured weight for the long model is 801g and the supplied stuff sack is 50g. It's rated at 40F / 5C. It's not the lightest or the cheapest, but it seemed the best compromise for a full-featured bag, at least for US prices.

My original plans were to go this March, but unfortunately I've now had to defer till October. This bag might be a little too warm / heavy, but it's the one I'm taking now that I've bought it!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi guys,

Thanks to all the generous people who are sharing their experiences and advice on this forum. It's amazing! :)

I'mm planning to walk from Sarria to Santiago during the first week of May this year together with a friend. I still haven't got a suitable sleeping bag for this purpose. We will arrive in Santiago and stay there for two nights, before heading for Sarria by bus. Is it easy to buy a suitable sleeping bag in Santiago? How are the prices there?

(Maybe Ivar himself can give me a good advice - as far as I have understood, he is Norwegian like me, and living in Santiago... :) )

Thanks in advance! :)

Ola

Hi

I'm aiming to walk the Frances between mid april and the start of june.

In choosing a sleeping bag, I understand from reading the fora that:

A/ synthetic is best because it can be washed if you're unfortunate enough to get a bed bug infestation [how likely is this by the way?]
B/ Light as possible...say 900 grams max

I absolutely cannot stand mummy bags as I hate the way they constrain your feet. So I'm considering this:

http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?MenuID ... ItemID=153

My concern is that it won't be warm enough. I like to sleep warm, and maybe unzip the bottom so my feet are cool. Can anyone confirm or otherwise please that the addition of a silk liner would equate to a full season rise in rating? In other words, would a silk liner effectively convert a 2 season bag to a 3 season bag?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
antelope said:
I'm aiming to walk the Frances between mid april and the start of june.
In choosing a sleeping bag, I understand from reading the fora that:
A/ synthetic is best because it can be washed if you're unfortunate enough to get a bed bug infestation [how likely is this by the way?]
B/ Light as possible...say 900 grams max
I absolutely cannot stand mummy bags as I hate the way they constrain your feet. So I'm considering this:
http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?MenuID ... ItemID=153
My concern is that it won't be warm enough. I like to sleep warm, and maybe unzip the bottom so my feet are cool. Can anyone confirm or otherwise please that the addition of a silk liner would equate to a full season rise in rating? In other words, would a silk liner effectively convert a 2 season bag to a 3 season bag?

If you are planning to sleep indoors, then even a 1 season bag would be sufficient. If you want to camp and sleep outside, and you need the extra warmth, then adding a silk liner usually adds ten degrees Fahrenheit to the comfort level. If you like your feet unconstrained, one solution is the full-length zipper: you open the zipper from the bottom -- you can even unzip the entire zipper, opening the bag full length so it is flat like a quilt. Alternatively, the "long" version of most mummy bags is also bigger in the shoulder and the hips -- so a roomier bag overall, whether you are tall or not.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sabine, I'm afraid I'm someone who often sleeps spread out like a starfish at home! [I should add that I'm single!] So I'm looking for a square bag...

Kitsambler, thanks, that's good information. So if I get a lightweight bag, and a heavy duty silk liner [like this one: http://www.terrevistatrails.com/index.p ... x&cPath=26 ], then I should be able to cover all eventualities, if I also have merino base layers to sleep in if I sleep outside, as I'd like the option to do.

That pretty much answers it I think.

Hi All,

I am walking the Camino in July and I need some tips on buying a sleeping bag.
Does a sleeping bag keep the bed bugs away?? Do I need a sleeping bag liner??

Thanks..

Unless you sleep cold and need a sleeping bag, I would suggest a sleeping bag liner of silk or nylon. Albergues have blankets if the night gets cold. Sleeping bags and liners do not keep the bed bugs away. You can treat them with permethrin, which is an insecticide. Once dry, permethrin is safe for humans. For the most protection use an insect repellent with DEET in it at night. Bed bugs attack exposed skin such as head, shoulders, arms, and feet, so you only need to put the repellent on those places. DEET is a bit toxic, so I further suggest washing in the morning unless you encounter mosquitoes in the mornings. Bed bugs can be everywhere, so staying in private accommodations is no protection. Use measures that assume bed bugs are around, and you will be doing all you can do. I hang my backpack from the bunk corner post with a loop of rope to keep it off the floor. With no tasty flesh to draw the bugs to my pack, it is in a place where they do not have to crawl over it to get at me! The worst place for a backpack is under the bed, but sometimes that is the only place. Therefore, I also treat my backpack with permethrin, inside and outside.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
falcon269 said:
Unless you sleep cold and need a sleeping bag, I would suggest a sleeping bag liner of silk or nylon. Albergues have blankets if the night gets cold. Sleeping bags and liners do not keep the bed bugs away. You can treat them with permethrin, which is an insecticide. Once dry, permethrin is safe for humans. For the most protection use an insect repellent with DEET in it at night. Bed bugs attack exposed skin such as head, shoulders, arms, and feet, so you only need to put the repellent on those places. DEET is a bit toxic, so I further suggest washing in the morning unless you encounter mosquitoes in the mornings. Bed bugs can be everywhere, so staying in private accommodations is no protection. Use measures that assume bed bugs are around, and you will be doing all you can do. I hang my backpack from the bunk corner post with a loop of rope to keep it off the floor. With no tasty flesh to draw the bugs to my pack, it is in a place where they do not have to crawl over it to get at me! The worst place for a backpack is under the bed, but sometimes that is the only place. Therefore, I also treat my backpack with permethrin, inside and outside.

Thanks for the info. Does the Permethrin work for down sleeping bags? Does it stain?

It works on down. I have never noticed any staining. Test your fabric if you are worried.

I've treated my sleeping bag, back pack, and pillow case with permethrin. Thanks for the info.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked in October, I bought the lightest and smallest I could afford. I was never cold as there were always blankets available. I do like to be quite cool at night.
And 'bed bugs', never encountered a single one.

WayWalker63 said:
I will start at the very end of September and walk into October. I'm looking at this bag. Do you think it will be enough? I'd rather be a little cool while sleeping than too hot.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055M ... YIXPVM57FO
The weather is one thing that we can't reliably predict. The bag is a 3 season one so you are more likely to be hot than cold. Either way it's easily fixed - if cold, sleep in your clothes and/or ask if there are any blankets available; if hot, sleep with the bag unzipped.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks Julie!

I want to be prepared but don't want to spend more than necessary. I rather spend the $ on good shoes and a backpack that fit.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.