• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which stages would you skip?

TracyBatonRouge

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June 2016
I have been walking for 6 days now. I started in Burgos, and I'm now in Villarente. I'm going to take tomorrow off to sightsee and rest in Leon. After that, I only have 11 days. I realize I need to walk the entire way from Sarria to obtain my compostella, but I'll need to skip a few stages. 20km seems to be the best per day in terms of my fitness level and comfort.
I'd love insight ...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It would be a shame to miss any of the remaining 3oo km to Santiago, but if timing is critical then maybe walk as far as Ponferrada and then take a bus to O'Cebreiro or Triacastela - but that would still leave you 6 stages - so assuming 4 days to Ponferrada (from Leon) then that gives you one day up your sleeve. You can not miss the Cruz de Ferro (between Rabanal and Molinaseca.

Hope this helps. Buen Camino

When you're relaxing in Leon, it would be a good idea to look at your guidebook and consider your options. You need to think about the places between Leon and Sarria and what you are willing, or not willing to skip. Also, does your 11-day timeframe allow for spending some time in Santiago?

Personally, I would hate to miss anything between Leon and Molinaseca, although I know that a lot of people take a bus for the few kms between Leon and la Vergen del Camino.

Given your preference for about 20kms/day, Sarria to Santiago will take you 5 or 6 days. Add on another 2-3 days if you decide to include O'Cebreiro. This (plus provision for a couple of days in Santiago) will allow you to work backwards and calculate how many days you can walk from Leon before you need to take a bus. There are buses from Molinaseca to Ponferrada and from Ponferrada to many other places.

Good luck and Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you need to skip a few days, you need to skip a few days. No big deal. Lot's and lot's of pilgrims do it everyday on the Camino Frances. Maybe one day you can come back and walk it time unrestricted.
Anyway, my advice is to just catch a bus from Leon to Ponferrada if you can. Looks like ALSA has a nonstop bus going there from Leon for under 10 euros. You should be able to reach Santiago from Ponferrada in 11 days no problem, and may even be able to have an extra day there to relax, and see the city.
cheers and ultreia

Or you can decide it is the journey and not the destination and just walk until it is time to go home. By just walking you have no worries about trying to figure out a time line other than leaving time at the end to get a bus to the town your flight departs from.

You've just walked the days you should have skipped!

But what's done is done! What can you skip from Leon? - I would skip right to Hospital del Orbigo from Leon for a start and walk from there, that saves you a day, outskirts of Leon are not enjoyable and the scenery until HdO is pretty Meseta like too and none of the towns are interesting either - so bus to HdO.

If you need more time that's difficult - the walk from here as far as O'Cebreiro is all interesting but guess you could skip O'Cebreiro right up to Sarria to save another two days or O'Cebreiro to Triacastella to save another one day.

So skip ...

Day 1 - Leon-Hospital del Orbigo
Day 2 - O-Cebreiro to Triacastella
Day 3 - Triacastella to Sarria

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

But what's done is done! What can you skip from Leon? - I would skip right to Hospital del Orbigo from Leon for a start and walk from there, that saves you a day, outskirts of Leon are not enjoyable and the scenery until HdO is pretty Meseta like too and none of the towns are interesting either - so bus to HdO.

If you need more time that's difficult - the walk from here as far as O'Cebreiro is all interesting but guess you could skip O'Cebreiro right up to Sarria to save another two days or O'Cebreiro to Triacastella to save another one day.

So skip ...

Missing any stage means possibly missing something unforgettable. That being said I think Sarah is spot on with skipping those 3 days. Between Leon and Hospital de Orbigo is not the most inspiring landscape but Tio Pepe's is great stop. Between O'Cebreiro and Triacastela is an interesting mountain trek mostly downhill but if you've walked mountains they all start to blend into one milieu, the morning mist is lovely coming down the hill but I've done it twice in a driving rainstorm, thus my aversion. Is there transport from O'Cebreiro? From Triacastela to Sarria there is lots of walking along a highway.

After Leon, I would had skipped:
- Leon to Hospital de Orbigo.
- San Martin del Camino- Hospital de Orbigo
- The 8kms Molinaseca to Ponferrada (bus/taxi ahead).
-Cacabelos to Villafranca del Bierzo (bus/taxi ahead)
- The 12 Kms Villafranca del Bierzo-Vega de Valcarcel (bus/taxi ahead)
- Sarria to Portomarin
-Portomarin to Palas de Rei
-OPedruezo-Monte de Gozo

Not the biggest fan of the last 100 kms. Rudest locals, most commercial. I would not and hope not to ever walked them again. The crowds did not bother me at all, but the cyclists turned into real maniacs; walked 400+miles not a problem with one bicyclist; during the last 100 kms almost got ran over several times. Leave options open, I guess.

- Sarria to Portomarin
-OPedruezo-Monte de Gozo

Not the biggest fan of the last 100 kms. Rudest locals, most commercial. I would not and hope not to ever walked them again. The crowds did not bother me at all, but the cyclists turned into real maniacs; walked 400+miles not a problem with one bicyclist; during the last 100 kms almost got ran over several times. Leave options open, I guess.
Olivares, love your parsing and editorial comments. I hope you are doing well.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If I had to skip, it would be from Molinaseca to Las Herrerrias (just before O'Cebreiro). Molinseca to Ponferrada was all on concrete and hot; Ponferrada was a depressed (and depressing), gang-tag riddled urban mess, and the last bit between Trabadelo and Las Herrerrias was on a winding mountain road with no shoulder (the protective barrier lower down on the mountain was gone) that I found dangerous (big trucks whizzing by within about 3 yards of where I was walking).

That being said, one of my favorite days on the Camino was in that section, between Villafranca and Trabadelo taking the high route along the ridge and walking through the Chestnut orchards. But, if I was in your situation, and you have to miss something, that is what I would miss.

For what it's worth. Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

I would maybe bus to Astorga from Leon, which is what I did to complete the camino. After a boring start to that day, I loved the scenery all the way into Molinaseca. There to Ponferrada is pavement and road and boring, so if you could get a bus for that part it would save you a couple of hours. Then start again from there. I also took the high (right hand road) way out of Villafranca and thoroughly enjoyed it. And the chestnut trees. I was finally doing longer days towards the end - 25-28km, so don't know how that would work for you (many days earlier on because of leg problems I only did 10 or so, hence busing from Leon to Astorga). You will probably find as I did, that however you do it, it will be fine, then you get to go back again and do the other parts!
Buen camino whichever paths you walk - Cherry

- Sarria to Portomarin
-OPedruezo-Monte de Gozo Not the biggest fan of the last 100 kms. Rudest locals, most commercial. I would not and hope not to ever walked them again. The crowds did not bother me at all, but the cyclists turned into real maniacs; walked 400+miles not a problem with one bicyclist; during the last 100 kms almost got ran over several times. Leave options open, I guess.
Olivares (if I read your response correctly) you are indicating skipping sections west of Sarria? Well that is not correct - you need to WALK those last 100 km if you wish to qualify for a Compostela.
I do agree about skipping the Leon/Hospital de Orbigo - yes those industrial areas on the western outskirts of Leon are not inspiring. Cheers

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What a range of choices! If you don't want to miss the two big mountain passes (Cruz de Ferro and O Cebriero) an approach would be to catch the train to Astorga and walk to O Cebriero, then catch the morning bus to Sarria and continue from there.

If you need to slice more distance off this to stay under 20km/day, start at Rabanal rather than Astorga. Either way, this preserves the last section from Sarria.

IF you are walking for the Compostela, of course then you cannot skip Sarria- Santiago. Anything before that still applies.

Don-- so glad to get to "see" you around the forum. Hey, let me know if you ever walk the Sanabres or Via de la Plata and want/need some walking company. :) Hope all is well.

If you're a pilgrim, just keep walking til your time runs out. You will return someday later and pick up where you left off.
If you're on the camino to see pretty sights, go ahead and skip past the boring/urban/messy bits. Enjoy your highlights tour! Be sure to walk the last 100 km., so you can have your complimentary souvenir Compostela certificate at the end.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you're a pilgrim, just keep walking til your time runs out. You will return someday later and pick up where you left off.
If you're on the camino to see pretty sights, go ahead and skip past the boring/urban/messy bits. Enjoy your highlights tour! Be sure to walk the last 100 km., so you can have your complimentary souvenir Compostela certificate at the end.
many well-intentioned responses were given .... may we really be sometimes too helpful (as was said in one reflection recently) and somewhere here, between the mighty acts advices lose the essence
"If you're a pilgrim, just keep walking til your time runs out" I really like :)

I have been walking for 6 days now. I started in Burgos, and I'm now in Villarente. I'm going to take tomorrow off to sightsee and rest in Leon. After that, I only have 11 days. I realize I need to walk the entire way from Sarria to obtain my compostella, but I'll need to skip a few stages. 20km seems to be the best per day in terms of my fitness level and comfort.
I'd love insight ...

None, every day different and every walker different, but if you must bus into or out if city, ie Leon

Thanks everyone! I met a great couple in Leon who'd done several Caminos. They gave great advice, and I made the most of my last 11 days. I wound up walking Villadangos del Parmo to Molinaseca in four days, spent a day getting to and walking around Sarria, then took six days from Sarria to Santiago (could have done it in five). It was a wonderful first Camino (I'm still primarily dreaming of the Camino while I sleep 14 days later), and with what I know now, I can't wait to return to do the first part of the CF to Burgos and also Molinaseca to Sarria. I had problems with feet (blisters/pain), but that seems par for the course. I discovered (with 6 days left) that Tevas were the way to go for me. Though many complain about so many pilgrims, I walked alone most of the time. It was beautiful, and the time for contemplation was just what I needed. (I walked the Camino to mourn/honor my father who passed away recently, and I arrived in Santiago on his birthday.) At first, I found myself wishing I had the time to complete the entire CF in one year, but an insight gained is that I am blessed to have limited time -- my family is my greatest blessing. I share all of this here because I've learned that the pilgrim family is kind and that we all walk our own caminos.
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It would be a shame to miss any of the remaining 3oo km to Santiago, but if timing is critical then maybe walk as far as Ponferrada and then take a bus to O'Cebreiro or Triacastela - but that would still leave you 6 stages - so assuming 4 days to Ponferrada (from Leon) then that gives you one day up your sleeve. You can not miss the Cruz de Ferro (between Rabanal and Molinaseca.

Hope this helps. Buen Camino
Did not miss the Crruz de Ferro. Thanks for your feedback!

When you're relaxing in Leon, it would be a good idea to look at your guidebook and consider your options. You need to think about the places between Leon and Sarria and what you are willing, or not willing to skip. Also, does your 11-day timeframe allow for spending some time in Santiago?

Personally, I would hate to miss anything between Leon and Molinaseca, although I know that a lot of people take a bus for the few kms between Leon and la Vergen del Camino.

Given your preference for about 20kms/day, Sarria to Santiago will take you 5 or 6 days. Add on another 2-3 days if you decide to include O'Cebreiro. This (plus provision for a couple of days in Santiago) will allow you to work backwards and calculate how many days you can walk from Leon before you need to take a bus. There are buses from Molinaseca to Ponferrada and from Ponferrada to many other places.

Good luck and Buen Camino
Hospital de Orbigo to Molinaseca was stunning! Thanks for your feedback.

So skip ...

I know so many hate the Meseta, but I happened to start there and also happened to be there during beautiful poppies and nice weather. I didn't know any different and loved my first six days, even though I got terrible blisters!!! Thanks for the feedback.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks everyone! I met a great couple in Leon who'd done several Caminos. They gave great advice, and I made the most of my last 11 days. I wound up walking Villadangos del Parmo to Molinaseca in four days, spent a day getting to and walking around Sarria, then took six days from Sarria to Santiago (could have done it in five). It was a wonderful first Camino (I'm still primarily dreaming of the Camino while I sleep 14 days later), and with what I know now, I can't wait to return to do the first part of the CF to Burgos and also Molinaseca to Sarria. I had problems with feet (blisters/pain), but that seems par for the course. I discovered (with 6 days left) that Tevas were the way to go for me. Though many complain about so many pilgrims, I walked alone most of the time. It was beautiful, and the time for contemplation was just what I needed. (I walked the Camino to mourn/honor my father who passed away recently, and I arrived in Santiago on his birthday.) At first, I found myself wishing I had the time to complete the entire CF in one year, but an insight gained is that I am blessed to have limited time -- my family is my greatest blessing. I share all of this here because I've learned that the pilgrim family is kind and that we all walk our own caminos.
Buen Camino!

Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated! How very moving to arrive in Santiago that very day.
Buen camino pilgrim :)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back