• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which track is the best alternative from Sangüesa to Monreal

norway

I wonder if anybody has done this track which is on camino Aragones. There are 2 different ways; one by Rocaforte-alto de Aibar-Izco - some books etc says this is the best and main camino - the other is by Liédena and Lumbier (where the Puente del Diablo is) and this one is also named the best and the main one. I wonder which one is the most beautiful and interesting -

Gerd :?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Gerd,
I've done this stretch a few weeks ago; if you follow the signs (yellow arrows), you will end up walking via Rocaforte.
But if you follow the main road until Liedena, you can walk along an old railroad track through the Foz de Lumbier, and past the Puente del Diablo (at the entrance to the first tunnel). I did this, and it was just amazing, there were dozens of vultures circling above me, I've never seen anything like this before, it somehow felt like Jurassic Park! The downside of this route is that you walk some stretches along a busy road, and the signs are not really clear, especially before Liedena and after Lumbier, where you have to be careful not to miss the path.
I personally would recommend to walk through the Foz de Lumbier, though it's a few kilometres longer than the other route, but the vultures are something you won't see again!
Rolf

Hello Rolf! Tks a lot for your informations! Decision was made easily now! Will certainly go by Lumbier! Looking so much forward to it! I wonder why the vultures were there - usually they are in places where dead animals ... or others... :? are... Will be very interesting! Hoping weather will be ok - did u have snow - rain cold weather?

gerd :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was laying on my back, just amazed by vultures circling above me, until I thought that they might see me in this position and think that I'm their lunch... :D
When you leave Sanguesa, you have to follow the main road for a few kilometres, past the Camino sign which would bring you to Rocaforte, until you get to a big round roundabout with a petrol station and a motel/restaurant. There you have to turn right into the direction of Liedena, across a bridge, and just after the bridge you will see the signs leading to the left, past an old station and onto the track of an old railway line. There are occassionaly yellow arrows, I think this used to be the original Camino before they created the new route via Rocaforte.
After the Foz de Lumbier, follow the road to Lumbier, across a bridge, and there you need to follow the road out of Lumbier, up a little hill, until the road turns right and a Camino sign points to a track to the left, which you have to follow until a road barrier tells you that this Camino has been diverted because of the construction of a new motorway. There you have to turn left, cross a very busy highway and just on the other side of the road go up a steep hill with some provisional signs (in blue!), until you get back onto the Camino which comes from Rocaforte. An alternative is to follow the highway until Izco/Monreal, but it's really busy with traffic.
This all sounds probably very complicated, but if you are used in reading the camino signs (yellow and other arrows), you will find your way!

Hello again Rolf and tks very much for infos. I am quite used to read camino signs - but sometimes they have been poor on not so frequented trails, once I got lost - so I am happy to have your description - will print it out. I will not lay down watching the vultures for too long :lol:
I'll tell you abt it when back - I am just going to Puente de la Reina now - starting in Oloron ste Marie - might go back on some other camino in September.

Have a good time!

gerd :D

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back