• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which VF? And accomodation questions

Jo Jo

Time of past OR future Camino
Eight routes; nine pilgrimages 2014-present
We are looking at walking the area between Tuscany (Lucca or Florence) and Rome this July (2015). It seems there are both the traditional Via Francigena and the St. Francis route through Assisi.

We hope not to book through a package tour, to preserve some flexibility and probably save a bit of money.

So the questions are:
1) opinions on which route, and why?
2) is it possible to call a couple of days in advance to book rooms (with essentially no Italian speakers) or are more advanced reservations or booking the tour packages essentially required/highly advisable?

Note, any other comments/helpful hints/sage advice is more than welcome.

Thank you, and Ultreia,
Jo Jo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lucca was a real highlight

Seldom had troublefinding accomodations. Never booked ahead but a bike gives you more range.

I would choose the Via Francigena. It is the more developed of the two routes which means there are some way-marking signs and more accommodation but still very much quieter than the caminos.

Depending on what sort of accommodation you want to stay in it is perfectly easy to do it on you own not with a tour company. You may be able to get tourist offices to book ahead for you if you want to in the smaller towns but this is not necessary in the bigger ones and there is parochial accommodation in most of the towns on the route.

Lucca is on the VF Florence is not so it would be an easier place to start your walk though the first day or two out are very flat so maybe start in Fuecchio or San Minato.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the Via in March/April together with my partner. We always phoned a day in advance. This is only necessary if you want to sleep in parish accomodation or convents. There are a lot of hotels and B&Bs between Lucca and Rome and quite a lot of them can be booked through booking.com. I always phoned because I wanted to make sure that the place still existed and wasn't closed on that day. Except for Lucca, San Gimignano and Siena this wouldn't have been necessary.
One warning: Tuscany and Lazio are very hot in July and especially in Tuscany there is not much shade. A lot of the Via is on gravelled roads through fields. It's very hilly and breathtakingly beautiful.
I can't comment on St. Francis Way, I'm still looking forward to walking it.

Sorry, I forgot: The Via is very well waymarked and there are GPS tracks available. There weren't many pilgrims, we met 10 in 34 walking days and were told about 4 others.
Last autum we walked from Besancon to Piacenza, we met 5 Pilgrims in 29 days.

We are looking at walking the area between Tuscany (Lucca or Florence) and Rome this July (2015).
Jo Jo

Please do post updates to the questions you asked when you have finished.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Leaving today. Going to walk the way of St. Francis based on Sandy Brown's new (really, forthcoming) book. Florence to Assisi to Rome (may not have time to quite get to Rome--we'll see). I'll definitely post results (good or bad).

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back