• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which way from Lamego

gns

Time of past OR future Camino
Ciudad Real to Medina Del Campo - Sep 2023
I will be starting from Salamanca on May 5 with 21 days to walk to Santiago before flying home.

I will follow the Torres (all being well) as far as Lamego. I am currently uncertain whether to stay on the Torres through to Ponte de Lima or turn north on the interior route to Verin then take the southern variant to Ourense.

I have walked the stretch from Ourense to Santiago twice and I have to say I prefer it to last part the Portuguese which I did from Porto in October. On the other hand part of me feels it would be a shame not to do the full Torres.

Can anyone who has walked both these routes give me any thoughts on which is more enjoyable and rewarding and the relative difficulty.

Regards

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will be starting from Salamanca on May 5 with 21 days to walk to Santiago before flying home.

I will follow the Torres (all being well) as far as Lamego. I am currently uncertain whether to stay on the Torres through to Ponte de Lima or turn north on the interior route to Verin then take the southern variant to Ourense.

I have walked the stretch from Ourense to Santiago twice and I have to say I prefer it to last part the Portuguese which I did from Porto in October. On the other hand part of me feels it would be a shame not to do the full Torres.

Can anyone who has walked both these routes give me any thoughts on which is more enjoyable and rewarding and the relative difficulty.

Regards
This is a good choice. I've walked the interior as far as Chavez so can't address the remaining section. However from Lamego to Chaves is a similar continuation of the Torres, meaning a more remote walk with dramatic terrain. The Torres becomes more urban as you travel northward through the incredible cities of Amarante, Guimares, and Braga. After being quite alone on the Torres, it was a nice change to be around more people. At Ponte de Lima I went the coastal route.
That being said, the route to Verin is a very attractive alternative and some day I would like to complete.
Bom Caminho

I walked the Torres last year. We walked from Salamanca to Ponte de Lima and, as I had already walked the CP, I jumped on a bus to Viana de Castelo and walked the coastal route followed by the Espiritual. I took 23 days. You are welcome to see my stages here. I also give details of accommodation, terrain and elevation profiles for each day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is a good choice. I've walked the interior as far as Chavez so can't address the remaining section. However from Lamego to Chaves is a similar continuation of the Torres, meaning a more remote walk with dramatic terrain. The Torres becomes more urban as you travel northward through the incredible cities of Amarante, Guimares, and Braga. After being quite alone on the Torres, it was a nice change to be around more people. At Ponte de Lima I went the coastal route.
That being said, the route to Verin is a very attractive alternative and some day I would like to complete.
Bom Caminho
Thanks for the response. It chimes with what I had already found out. I will see how it goes. I suspect that by Lamego I will probably not be up to the challenge on the interior route.

Regards

I walked the Torres last year. We walked from Salamanca to Ponte de Lima and, as I had already walked the CP, I jumped on a bus to Viana de Castelo and walked the coastal route followed by the Espiritual. I took 23 days. You are welcome to see my stages here. I also give details of accommodation, terrain and elevation profiles for each day.

Thanks Magwood.

I have already read your blog which I enjoyed enormously. I will particularly take notes on accommodation as this is a bit daunting bit for me due to limited Spanish and Portuguese. I certainly hope that there won't be any loose bulls this year!

I am doing an audio course in Portuguese on my commute. but I dread the thought of opening my mouth to speak Portuguese and finding doggerel Spanish coming out.

I am walking a month later than previously and hope the wildflowers will be out in full.

Regards

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back