• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which way to st Juan de la Pena?

Simsonite

Hi everybody, I couldn't find an answer to this question. Which way can you advise? Jaca to Atares and then to the monastery? My book says it is not well marked? It doesn't matter if the way is very exhausting. But what about the marks and signs? Could I get lost? ;)
Or would you advise to walk on the street to St Cruz de la Seros and then going up to St Juan de la Pena?

Kind regards :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi!

You can ask for directions at the TO or the albergue in JACA.

Here is what they used to recommend:

First, go the Santa Cilla. From there take the trail (marked) or the road to the monastery. It's 11km one way.

They do not recommend going by way of Atares, the trail not being trustworthy.

Another suggestion from a French pilgrim:

Around 10km from JACA, a few meters before Hotel Aragon, leave the main road by a secondary road (paved) going up on the left. After 6km, reach Santa Cruz de la Seros and take a room at Hosteleria Santa Cruz (+34) 974 361 975. Very welcoming people. Leave your bag, and go up to the monastery, taking a trail going left behind the albergue which will allow you to visit the two monastery in a loop. The next day, take to the left of the fountain, at the bottom of the village, a shortcut leading back to the main road at the level of Santa Cilla (Cyllia?) and the camino. 6km.

I hope this is of some help. Once you've done it, you could post here for the benefit of others.

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

These are both good suggestions. I walked the trail through Atares in 2005 and it was very difficult, with much loose rock, and it was very badly marked. Checking with the Jaca turismo in 2007, they told me that the trail had not been maintained or the waymarking improved since then. In 2007, I did much as the un-named French pilgrim suggests, and found it very satisfactory. There is no albergue in Santa Cruz de los Seros, but the hosteleria is very comfortable and welcoming.

While there is a trail from San Juan de la Pena to Santa Cruz de los Seros, it involves a dizzying stretch which can only be called a technical climb, and I would not advise it. I would much prefer walking the road, which is longer, but minus many problems.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Whiteteddy,

Sorry, my mistake.

The username of the French pilgrim on Forum Au Coeur du Chemin is CURIEUDETOUT.

''Rendez à César ce qui appartient à César''

Jean-Marc

hola Simsonite
there are several good posts in the thread 'Starting the Camino Aragones in France' with useful info about getting to San Juan d/l Pena ... see 17 + 18 Dec 2007 and 2 Feb '08

buen camino

Peter

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I did St Juan de la Pena about 3 weeks ago. I walked from Jaca and I made it to Arres. Arres is an amazing place to stay, I arrived late 8.30pm to be told completo, but dont worry, have a shower, come upstairs for some food (introduced like a king) with hosperterlo giving me his chair so he sat on a gas bottle followed by a comfortable nights sleep in the chapel. The warmth and caring attitude of the dutch hospiterolos was more important to me than seeing any monestry. The problem is becuase you have to do so much walking to reach Arres, it cuts down the amount of time you can spend at Pena. If I had more time I would spend the night at santa cillia as there is a path near there signposted for the monestery this leaves time at Pena and making Arres quite easy. The way I walked to Pena I had the CSJ guide as well as writing info from other guides people had, but to be honest it confused me a bit. I walked up the road near Hotel Aragon (with backpack) and walked to Santa Cruz de la seros (with famous church). Here I opted for the road to Pena but was told it was twice as long by road as the path. so I took the path (signposted) near the church walking through casa rural property. Its a steep walk and a bit rocky in places. You will see signs for other monesterys etc, dont worry, keep going forward. Coming back I hit the road from the monastery in the cliffs (its a bus ride from the main centre) thinking the easier going will be quicker. With hinsight I should of taken the path from the cliffs as I think this is the one that goes to Santa Cillia. Enjoy Pena, I enjoyed it, but all that walking wasnt worth the hour max that I spent there.

Ola caminobrit

that's why it's prbably better to get to the refugio at Sta Cilia first from Jaca - then do a detour to San Juan next day, via Binuacua on the way there and (depending on time of daylight left) return to Sta Cilia from San Seros on the bitumen (5 - 6 km only!) During quiet periods the hospitarea at Sta Cilia will probably let you stay 2 nights

buen camino all

Peter

In late September, I was in Jaca and asked the Turismo staff if the trail to San Juan de la Peña had been improved or maintained, and a staff member (who was in a local hiking group) said that it had not been. However, he told me, the signing had improved, and it was marked as a trail of medium difficulty, and he would not advise pilgrims to use it.

A few days later, as I was sitting in the hot springs at Tiermas (km 336 south of the road between Berdún and Yesa, on the north shore of the Embalse de Yesa) to recuperate from that particular path, much of which is walked alongside a busy carretera, I spoke with a woman soldier from the Principe de Asturias regiment, who was training at the Mountain Military School in Jaca. She told me that she and a few of her comrades had done it as a training walk when they first go there, and she said it is not to be recommended for day-hikers or pilgrims. And unlike Tiermas, she continued, there were no mud baths at San Juan de la Peña.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I got a WhatsApp a little bit ago and also saw here on the forum that @Vacajoe posted that the pilgrim albergue in Canfranc Pueblo will be opening April 16.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back