• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which would be your next phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grubjpeg

Time of past OR future Camino
I used to be an Android guy but after moving to iPhone 7, I am now an Apple fan, lol. What would be your next phone and the reason?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I went over to Apple some years ago, never regretted it. I have an old secondhand iPhone 4 and it still works perfectly. If it dies - the new iPhone 7 surely looks tempting ;-) Buen Camino, SY

I've just changed from an iPhone 5s to the 5se very pleased with it and the size is ideal for me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Using Android phones since years.
Actually a Samsung S6, after several Sony, HTC and Samsung.
Nice size for my pocket.
Screen is very hard (no scratch in around 18 months without protection!).
Battery life is good, if I deactivate all useless features: in airplane mode, the GPS can run for 6-8 hours, depending on how often I look at it.

Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

I use the iPhone 6S plus -- the big one. I got it before the Camino and it was great. The larger size makes it more inconvenient to carry but I liked it because it was convenient for everything. Of course I used it for telephone, which was good for calling ahead for reservations and some other calls I needed to make. Google maps was very helpful, and I needed it in some the larger cities to find my way around and get back on the Camino. I had the kindle app, and had downloaded the brierly maps, the village to village guide, and the wise pilgrim app, all of which I used. I also had downloaded some books and music for when I resting, and it was easier to use than than a small phone for my old eyes (70). I also used it as a camera. So, my phone was the only device are carried, and I also carried no books, no guidebooks, no nothing... it was all on my phone. I kept my backpack down to 10 pounds and if I am able to walk the Camino again will do the same.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was joking about the exploding Samsung phones. Our only risk as Apple users is when we foolishly update the iOS:eek:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I heard of Google's Project Fi this year and liked the cost of the service so I picked up a Nexus 5X from them with a price break. I also liked the description of how it would work when you take it overseas (pretty much the same as in the US without having to do anything, I'll be finding out if that is true soon.) With Project Fi the phones are unlocked and can handle GSM and CDMA protocols. They charge data at $10 US per GB but essentially you pay a cent per MB used whether you go over or under your expected usage.

Google's new Pixel phones can be used with Project Fi.

https://fi.google.com/

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used to be an Android guy but after moving to iPhone 7, I am now an Apple fan, lol. What would be your next phone and the reason?
Part of me is uncomfortable with the consumer pressure to update and use more resources. Unfortunately another part loves having phone, good resolution camera, gps,maps, email etc all in one device. After many years with a dinosaur phone I've recently got an Android smart phone ( mostly for the plug in extra memory) and it's amazing! Think this'll do me for a while.

Leave it home!

Since I finished in late September, I have received emails from a woman I walked with frequently. She brought up that she wished that we had talked more and learned more about each other. I reminded her that SHE was the one who was on her phone during EVERY break at any place with Wi-Fi and texting until 2 AM in the albergues. Never had time to talk? It was not I on the phone.
If you walked in August and September, you might have seen me--- I was frequently with the 3 guys who they used to tell to keep quite outside the cafes when we were laughing too loud while we drank beer. None of us used phones while we met and had the chance to talk and laugh every couple days. How could you text anyone when you had the chance to laugh with us? People did it all of the time.

This is your chance to experience meeting people from all over the world--talk to THEM.

Three reasons I first went with the Nexus5; reasonably priced, it's sold unlocked, but mostly it was for the camera quality. Now considering the new Pixel.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I carry my large iPhone in the pocket of my Macabi skirt. No problem!
Can't live without my Macabi skirts!! And back to the thread topic - I currently have an iPhone 6+, waiting for and iPhone 8 when it/if comes out.

Can't live without my Macabi skirts!! And back to the thread topic - I currently have an iPhone 6+, waiting for and iPhone 8 when it/if comes out.
Have you seen anyone wearing the new short length Macabi skirt?

Have you seen anyone wearing the new short length Macabi skirt?
No but I've been trying to win a cheap used Macabi on ebay so I could chop my own. On my last two CF's I was the only one I saw or heard of with a Macabi. Could have sold at least 5 each trip! Had people trying it on in my albergues!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No but I've been trying to win a cheap used Macabi on ebay so I could chop my own. On my last two CF's I was the only one I saw or heard of with a Macabi. Could have sold at least 5 each trip! Had people trying it on in my albergues!
I only saw one other on my CF April/May. I think I might have looked like a nun

A nun friend of mine has one charcoal and one in black!! I was on the meseta April 7-17 0r so. Was I ahead of you? We'll have to compare notes!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I have a Samsung S4 now, but my next phone will be a fairphone.
It's an android phone which is made with as much as possible 'fair'' materials, taking care for reuse an recycling, and good working conditions.
https://www.fairphone.com

I don't have any personal conection to this company, I just like the aims.

I dislike Apple's locked down ecosystem but their hardware is great. When I went on my 6 month walking trip I brought a Samsung Alpha which worked very well. I upgraded this year to a Samsung Galaxy S7 which has some incredible features but unfortunately I'll have to get a new phone soon since the whole phone is glass the whole back shattered in an electric skateboarding incident. Prior to that I was having huge amounts of fun with the fact it's waterproof. I actually was able to take it to an aquarium and filmed some stingrays in a stingray petting area.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I nearly took this post down as spam / trolling but then got distracted by other threads.

The questions that arose in my moderator head when I first saw the post was "what the hell has that got to do with the camino and aren't there enough forums about 'phones already?" Exploding Singsongs make the 5 o'clock news while the camino never gets a mention unless somebody dies or gets spectacularily lost in the woods.

But you all seem interested. So I'll go walk the dogs.

DogS? Do you have more than one now?

Phones are tools that can be useful on the Camino and - cough - some of us are techno freaks/geeks/nerds that enjoy that kind of discussion.

Oh, and I pray that the Camino never makes the news - too much publicity already - Keep the secret ;-)

Give doggies an ear scratchie from me!

Buen Camino Perrogrinos, SY

I nearly took this post down as spam / trolling but then got distracted by other threads.

The questions that arose in my moderator head when I first saw the post was "what the hell has that got to do with the camino and aren't there enough forums about 'phones already?" Exploding Singsongs make the 5 o'clock news while the camino never gets a mention unless somebody dies or gets spectacularily lost in the woods.

But you all seem interested. So I'll go walk the dogs.

As a 'do it all' kind of tool Smartphones are very useful on the long walks. The 6 walks I did last year carrying one smartphone allowed me to shed a lot of other gear I would have brought for safety reasons. Not to say it's not important to know all the gear for certain times but a Smartphone is so so so handy as a GPS, Map, Communication tool, Info backup, entertainment backup, translator, calculator, currency convertor, calendar, alarm... I could go on and on.

Just as I wouldn't do a big walk without a swiss army knife I wouldn't do one without a smartphone either.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And in a pitch a good Smartphone can replace a Camera ;-) SY

PS The free Kindle App is also very useful - you can take the whole bible with you - at no additional weight ...

And in a pitch a good Smartphone can replace a Camera ;-) SY

PS The free Kindle App is also very useful - you can take the whole bible with you - at no additional weight ...

Hehe problem becomes how many pictures you take. Only 2 months ago did I sort all my photos out. Have 10,245 from my trip... still working on how I will display them lol.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
OK, OK. Sounds like it was a good job I got distracted ;)

And yes SY. Dogs. We are fostering a dog from the local rescue centre. Poor old Archie can't do kennels. And we have Smeagol the Beagle staying with us because my son is in Morocco.

In between the refereeing, the pop-scooping, walkies, din-dins and cuddles I'm still trying to work, moderate, cook, eat and even, occasionally, get to the pub. If there is an App that would assist in any of this I'll be quite happy to load it to my Bell Binatone (tm) :D

One more thing, when you switched to a new phone, what is the fastest way to move data from one to another? I used to do it manually, but it takes a lot of time.

A few years ago I decided to switch to smartphones, so I bought the best available at that time: Samsung Galaxy S3 and Iphone 4S. After a few months I got rid of the Iphone: TERRIBLE! :) After a Sony Xperia Z3, I now have a Microsoft Lumia 950 which works excellent and has a really good camera. Next one? Nothing from Apple, for sure. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
One more thing, when you switched to a new phone, what is the fastest way to move data from one to another? I used to do it manually, but it takes a lot of time.

What kind of data? The biggest pain is usually contacts and that's usually backed up either by Itunes or by Gmail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.