A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Who Bought Lone Peak 4.0?

0 Euro Camino Bank Note

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
Its time for me to buy new shoes. There are times when I think I have to quit this walking business because finding shoes is so difficult . Those of you who know me will already know my problem :confused:

My feet are as wide as they are long...my husband calls me sponge bob (square feet). My second toe is also longer than my big toe. If my shoes aren't right my pinkie toes become a mess of blister and sadness :oops:

I buy men's ...my foot is EEE wide but new balance 4E felt snug. In Europe we have waaaaay less wide fit choice.. And no roomy normal width will work...I'm painting a grim picture... In the hope that you'll hear the despair in my post.

So...I loved Lone Peak 3... Hated Lone Peak 3.5... Is the new fit on Lone Peak 4.0 more like the older shoe?

Also I read reviews saying the support/cushion feel goes very quickly and feels hard underfoot?

Anyone have the Lone Peak 4?

Many thanks in advance...I'm going to sit hear now wishing and hoping for arrows that point to my perfect shoe 😎

moxy

May your search through nature lead to yourself.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015), Camino Ingles (2016), Camino Primitivo (2018), Camino Português (2019)
I have LP4.0 (The blue ones) and I taking them to the CP in September. I jumped from boots to Lone Peak 3.5 and then to 4.0. I feel the toe box in the 4.0 is wider than the 3.5. I bought them one size bigger than what I regularly wear since feet tend to sore (feel larger) during hikes. If 3.0 worked for you, Im sure that 4.0 will as well.
When it comes to cushion, it is definitely better the the 3.5 however, they are zero drops so don't expect the same support a a regular trail runner. You can always replace the insole for better support.
And don't worry about buying men's shoes due to its size, I've met other women in the AT doing the same including equipment. And since Altra is great at comfort but not that great fashion design, we will still look like we have big clown shoes. If you wore 3.0 you know what I mean 😛. Good luck.

linkster

Nunca dejes de creer!
Camino(s) past & future
CF (17) Sarria - Portomarín
CF (17) SJPdP - SdC
CF (18) SJPdP - Fisterra
CP (19) Porto - Muxia
I have not worn the Lone Peak. I have switched from Hoka Bondis to Altra Olympus. What do I like about them?

1) Toe box - I really like the shape of the toe box. It is anatomically correct for my feet. They help to accommodate my wide feet.

2) Cushion - The ultra cushion makes it feel like you have a spring in your step. They absorb stones etc. and you do not even feel them. They do start breaking down somewhere about ~400 miles for me. You may consider staging an extra pair with a bounce box if on a long camino. Last year I bounced and extra pair of Bondis along the Frances.

3) Sole - The sole is very sticky in all kinds of terrain. It did not matter whether it was wet or not. They just grab to the surface.

4) GaiterTrap - I like the GaiterTraps. It saves me from having to put a split ring, and velcro on the shoes.

5) Non waterproof - I like that they are not waterproof. They breathe well, and dry quickly,

6) High heel Achilles - I like that the back of the shoe is higher. It allows me to lace lock and eliminate any heel slip ... especially since I upsize my shoes for the Camino. I also like that there is no plastic etc. in the back of the shoe. The Bondis had a piece of plastic that caused me some problem when I wore a hole in the inside back of the shoe.

I am not sure about the availability and returns, but Amazon in the states makes trying different shoes easy.

Last edited:

edandjoan

Camino(s) past & future
St. Gallen to Muxia
2012-2018
Hello!
Very disappointed in the new model and the fit was horrible. I have been such a fan of Altra, but the changes in the hiking shoe and running shoe models I have been wearing have made for a bad fit for me.
For the walk in May on the Way of Saint Francis we both wore Topo Athletic Ultraventures. Loved them. And we put them to the test. Lots of muddy paths and rain--got them dry all but one night. And one day 5 miles through a foot of snow. Plus the road walking. Over 500k in them and I think I can get another 200k.

Jbirk

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, SJPP to Finesterre April (2018)
Via Francigena Sept (2018)
Del Norte Aug (2019)
I used TIMPs 1.0 on the CF and switched to the LonePeak 4.0 mids for the VF and love them. Just bought another pair for my upcoming Norte. I feel the toebox is wider than the 3.5 which I also own. My wife is trying out the new TIMP 1.5 and likes them as well. There is more padding than the Lonepeaks

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portuguese 2018
(Camino Ingles 2019)
Hi
I will be very interested in this thread as my feet are similarly very wide. I recently bought my first pair of Altra's, the LP4.0 after reading so many great reviews. I wanted something non-Goretex after reading DaveBuggs excellent reasoning. However...they are not wide enough so are just waiting to be returned. (I've only worn them indoors, I am in the UK and bought them from Runners Need.) I can feel the outside edge of the toe box but the main problem is the stitching across the base of the tongue, I am too wide there and have a high arch so it makes my foot ache. Different ways of lacing makes no difference because it is the stitching. These shoes are also a size larger than my normal size so I am not keen to go any bigger.

To prevent blisters between my pinky and next toe I wear Injinji toe liner socks with light merino walking socks on top. Currently I have some Merrell MQM Flex GTX shoes (one size up) and these have been great. In fact comparing the innersoles of these with the LP's I would say Merrell just win on width but it is only a very small difference. The design of the shoe is just better for my wide feet and I have never felt an edge anywhere. The Merrell's weigh 31.5g more per shoe which is not much different either. They are a different shoe, designed for a slightly different purpose: MQM stands for Moving Quickly in the Mountains, so they are not trail runners more a hybrid. Nor are they zero drop.

I wore them from Porto to SdC on the inland route and they were comfy on all the different surfaces. Plus my feet stayed dry when it poured during my day in SdC. Recently in the UK I walked in long wet grass and I did get very wet feet (should have taken my ankle gaiters).

So I am going to stick with these shoes if I make it out to the Ingles in September. I will just change into dry socks at lunch time which should counter the reduced airiness from being Goretex.

Hope you find your perfect shoes

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
You fab people... Already great advice. I can order and try a few pairs at home... Honestly I am a walking/camino addict but the shoe search breaks me... Its good to know I'm not the only hobbit out there :oops:

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
I have LP4.0 (The blue ones) and I taking them to the CP in September. I jumped from boots to Lone Peak 3.5 and then to 4.0. I feel the toe box in the 4.0 is wider than the 3.5. I bought them one size bigger than what I regularly wear since feet tend to sore (feel larger) during hikes. If 3.0 worked for you, Im sure that 4.0 will as well.
When it comes to cushion, it is definitely better the the 3.5 however, they are zero drops so don't expect the same support a a regular trail runner. You can always replace the insole for better support.
And don't worry about buying men's shoes due to its size, I've met other women in the AT doing the same including equipment. And since Altra is great at comfort but not that great fashion design, we will still look like we have big clown shoes. If you wore 3.0 you know what I mean 😛. Good luck.
Great thanks... this does back up what I'd read about the width. I've tried insoles and always end up with tiny heel blisters where the insole isn't an exact match... Perhaps I need to try again.

Ps... I'm long since over style... I'd wear the boxes if they'd sole them :eek::D:D

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
I have not worn the Lone Peak. I have switched from Hoka Bondis to Altra Olympus. What do I like about them?

1) Toe box - I really like the shape of the toe box. It is anatomically correct for my feet. They help to accommodate my wide feet.

2) Cushion - The ultra cushion makes it feel like you have a spring in your step. They absorb stones etc. and you do not even feel them. They do start breaking down somewhere about ~400 miles for me. You may consider staging an extra pair with a bounce box if on a long camino. Last year I bounced and extra pair of Bondis along the Frances.

3) Sole - The sole is very sticky in all kinds of terrain. It did not matter whether it was wet or not. They just grab to the surface.

4) GaiterTrap - I like the GaiterTraps. It saves me from having to put a split ring, and velcro on the shoes.

5) Non waterproof - I like that they are not waterproof. They breathe well, and dry quickly,

6) High heel Achilles - I like that the back of the shoe is higher. It allows me to lace lock and eliminate any heel slip ... especially since I upsize my shoes for the Camino. I also like that there is no plastic etc. in the back of the shoe. The Bondis had a piece of plastic that caused me some problem when I wore a hole in the inside back of the shoe.

I am not sure about the availability and returns, but Amazon in the states makes trying different shoes easy.
Thanks... I've tried olympus after my VdlP and the first Lone Peak 3... I loved the squishy comfort underfoot but they were too narrow... Maybe they've changed that so I might test another pair?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
Hello!
Very disappointed in the new model and the fit was horrible. I have been such a fan of Altra, but the changes in the hiking shoe and running shoe models I have been wearing have made for a bad fit for me.
For the walk in May on the Way of Saint Francis we both wore Topo Athletic Ultraventures. Loved them. And we put them to the test. Lots of muddy paths and rain--got them dry all but one night. And one day 5 miles through a foot of snow. Plus the road walking. Over 500k in them and I think I can get another 200k.
Ahhh... This was me with the 3.5... They felt just awful after the 3.0. I've heard great things about Topo so maybe another to try.

I'm hoping to do 800km so good to know they'll last!

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
I used TIMPs 1.0 on the CF and switched to the LonePeak 4.0 mids for the VF and love them. Just bought another pair for my upcoming Norte. I feel the toebox is wider than the 3.5 which I also own. My wife is trying out the new TIMP 1.5 and likes them as well. There is more padding than the Lonepeaks
Great thanks... Another one on the list

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
Hi
I will be very interested in this thread as my feet are similarly very wide. I recently bought my first pair of Altra's, the LP4.0 after reading so many great reviews. I wanted something non-Goretex after reading DaveBuggs excellent reasoning. However...they are not wide enough so are just waiting to be returned. (I've only worn them indoors, I am in the UK and bought them from Runners Need.) I can feel the outside edge of the toe box but the main problem is the stitching across the base of the tongue, I am too wide there and have a high arch so it makes my foot ache. Different ways of lacing makes no difference because it is the stitching. These shoes are also a size larger than my normal size so I am not keen to go any bigger.

To prevent blisters between my pinky and next toe I wear Injinji toe liner socks with light merino walking socks on top. Currently I have some Merrell MQM Flex GTX shoes (one size up) and these have been great. In fact comparing the innersoles of these with the LP's I would say Merrell just win on width but it is only a very small difference. The design of the shoe is just better for my wide feet and I have never felt an edge anywhere. The Merrell's weigh 31.5g more per shoe which is not much different either. They are a different shoe, designed for a slightly different purpose: MQM stands for Moving Quickly in the Mountains, so they are not trail runners more a hybrid. Nor are they zero drop.

I wore them from Porto to SdC on the inland route and they were comfy on all the different surfaces. Plus my feet stayed dry when it poured during my day in SdC. Recently in the UK I walked in long wet grass and I did get very wet feet (should have taken my ankle gaiters).

So I am going to stick with these shoes if I make it out to the Ingles in September. I will just change into dry socks at lunch time which should counter the reduced airiness from being Goretex.

Hope you find your perfect shoes
Thanks... That's interesting... Will order and try!

jvankleeck

Camino(s) past & future
Plan to walk in the summer of (2018)
Its time for me to buy new shoes. There are times when I think I have to quit this walking business because finding shoes is so difficult . Those of you who know me will already know my problem :confused:

My feet are as wide as they are long...my husband calls me sponge bob (square feet). My second toe is also longer than my big toe. If my shoes aren't right my pinkie toes become a mess of blister and sadness :oops:

I buy men's ...my foot is EEE wide but new balance 4E felt snug. In Europe we have waaaaay less wide fit choice.. And no roomy normal width will work...I'm painting a grim picture... In the hope that you'll hear the despair in my post.

So...I loved Lone Peak 3... Hated Lone Peak 3.5... Is the new fit on Lone Peak 4.0 more like the older shoe?

Also I read reviews saying the support/cushion feel goes very quickly and feels hard underfoot?

Many thanks in advance...I'm going to sit hear now wishing and hoping for arrows that point to my perfect shoe 😎
I’m a lone peak lover myself, but for the Camino I went with the TIMP 1.5 by Altra instead for the added cushion. I’ve not regretted them and I’m in Foncebadón now.

Dochim

Camino(s) past & future
2016 July - April 2018 Francés
June - July 2018 Primitivo
Great thanks... this does back up what I'd read about the width. I've tried insoles and always end up with tiny heel blisters where the insole isn't an exact match... Perhaps I need to try again.

Ps... I'm long since over style... I'd wear the boxes if they'd sole them :eek::D:D
When I buy new insoles, I take the old ones out and lay them over the new ones. I draw around the new ones (upside down), in pen and then cut them to size. If you’re wearing altras, which are wide, it’s a good idea to buy the insoles too large so that there are no gaps around the toe box. Altras and really squidgy soft insoles are like walking on marshmallows.

Camino(s) past & future
Spring 2016: Camino Frances, Finisterre and Muxia
April 2019: Frances, Salvador, Primitivo
I walked my first Camino in Altra LP 2.5's. They were great. My next buy was 3.5, which was ok. When I was getting outfitted for my recent Camino, my pedorthist told me that I would be better off wearing the Timps (whatever the latest model was in late winter).

He had me try on both the LP 4's and the Timps -- I went with the Timps and they also worked out extremely well.

Hope you find your perfect fit too!

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Le Puy (2016)
Vézelay (2019)
Norte (2019)
I wore LonePeak 4.0 from Vézelay to Santiago de Compostela, via del Norte and Primitivo, about 1900km.
I took out the inner sole and used dr Scholl’s orthotics to give more arch support.
My first pair lasted to San Sebastián. My second pair have a couple of hundred k’s left in them.
I was very happy with the choice. No foot or toe problems.

Bob Howard

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2016
Frances 2018

I've posted previously about the Altra Timp (1.0 on last summer CF, now 1.5). I also have a wide foot and my 2nd toe is longer than my big toe. I found the Timp to be one of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. And, for me at least, they were noticeably roomier in the the toe box. I prefer them over them over the Lone Peak. Try both in the store--or Zappos, or from Altra directly.

formysons

Camino(s) past & future
Roncesvalles - Santiago 2009; Portuguese, Ingles, Finesterre and Muxia - 2019.

I bought Lone Peak 4 for my Portuguese camino in August. I love them, super wide toebox, so no more "get these shoes off my feet!!@?~" Lots of space for my toes !!!! Luuuuuuv them :cool:

David

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Moissac to Santiago Spring 2005 was the first foray.
I also have wide feet - clowns ain't in it! and eventually moved from boots then to shoes to trekking sandals - I wear the Keen Newport H2 - superb comfy fit with contoured foot bed and super-wide at the front.

The only footwear I have ever owned that ten minutes after putting them on I am not conscious of wearing them.

When out doing first aid (with my Berlingo) I met a woman with 'square' feet who was having a terrible time with her footwear - took her to the outdoor shop in Astorga and they fitted her with the Newport H2 - she was sooooo happy.

mla1

Camino(s) past & future
CF (2000); Ch St. Giles (2013); Le Puy to SJPP (May/June 2015); vdlp 2016
Last year I bought Lone Peak 3.0s -- and loved them. But it's time for a replacement. I cannot wear the Lone Peak 3.5 for some of the reasons mentioned above -- especially for the the way that the plastic around the laces cuts into a high arch. The 4.0 is better than the 3.5 but, for me, it is still too tight over the top of the foot (with little give because of the plastic bits). Just last week I tried on the Timp 1.5, and they feel pretty good. They are top of the list now. To see here (in this thread) that other people have liked them is very helpful! Thanks everyone!

May2016

Rhonda
Camino(s) past & future
Plan to walk April (2016)
I’ve had Lone Peak 3, 3.5 & now the 4. The 4 are by far my favourites so much so that I’ve already bought an extra 2 pairs for when they bring out the next model. I do all my hiking & running here in Australia in them & plan to walk the Portuguese Camino in them. Have never had a blister & have also completed 2 1/2 marathons in them.

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
So I bought Lone Peak 4.0!

They felt pretty much like the Lone Peak 3.0... until the first downhill towards Roncesvalles. The cut is different and my second toe hurt a lot. I ended up wearing my Teva's for most of the walk because the Lone Peak 4.0 just hurt. I only walked for 9 days but in the end I really had to stop wearing them.

Oh how I miss the Lone Peak 3.0 :( I think I'm going to lose that nail (sorry for the feet photo :)

69827127_857825037946447_1901755890252382208_n.jpg

mla1

Camino(s) past & future
CF (2000); Ch St. Giles (2013); Le Puy to SJPP (May/June 2015); vdlp 2016
:( I hate it when they change the designs. Sorry about your poor foot LesBrass. I might try the Altra Timps next. They feel like they have more space than the lone peak 4s. Much better for high arches. I have heard other people say Topo runventure or terraventure are good lone peak substitutes. (I am not sure if those are the exact names.)

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, Madrid (2019) Portuges (2020)
You fab people... Already great advice. I can order and try a few pairs at home... Honestly I am a walking/camino addict but the shoe search breaks me... Its good to know I'm not the only hobbit out there :oops:
My wife’s a hobbit also - hairy feet and two breakfasts. We both struggle with shoes so when anything fits, we buy in bulk. Nobody ever got promoted for suggesting that manufacturers use more expensive materials or avoid a shortcut.

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
My wife’s a hobbit also - hairy feet and two breakfasts. We both struggle with shoes so when anything fits, we buy in bulk. Nobody ever got promoted for suggesting that manufacturers use more expensive materials or avoid a shortcut.
I have found some lone peak 3.0s on Amazon.com... I’m very tempted to buy a few pairs and ask a friendly American to forward them on 😁... they’re cheaper than in France as well!

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
I tried some LPs thinking that I might need something more than my sandals in early spring on the Primitivo. Nope. Hated them. Walked the Primitivo in my sandals and they were fine. Wore waterproof socks when it was freezing.

I love the way I keep trying to re-invent the wheel.

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
I tried some LPs thinking that I might need something more than my sandals in early spring on the Primitivo. Nope. Hated them. Walked the Primitivo in my sandals and they were fine. Wore waterproof socks when it was freezing.

I love the way I keep trying to re-invent the wheel.
I wish I could wear my Teva's the whole time. I can do around 15km in them but after that I get blisters. For my walk this autumn I have an old pair of LP3.0 that I can take and I'll mix them with Teva's... if I can get my hands on the LP3.0's I'm going to buy them all :D :D

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%