• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Who called you, pilgrim?

Michael; Camino-addicted

Take your time to enjoy a beautiful moment
Time of past OR future Camino
A few Caminos
Next plan - Camino de Baztan
During my first week on the Camino I saw the thoughts of a pilgrim who wrote them in German on a large noise barrier.

Who has called you, pilgrim?
Dust, mud, sunshine and rain
that is the way to Santiago.
Thousands of pilgrims
and more than a thousand years.

Who has called you?
Which secret power attracted you?
Neither it was the starry sky,
nor the cathedrals.

Neither was it the bravery of Navarre
nor the wine of Rioja,
not the seafood of Galicia
and also not the fields of Castile.

Pilgrim, who has called you?
Which irresistible power attracted you?
Neither the pilgrims on the way,
nor the traditions of the country.

Neither the culture and the history,
nor the cock of Santo Domingo,
not the palace of Gaudi
and also not the Castle of Ponferrada.

All this you saw in passing
and it was a great pleasure for you
but you felt the voice who was calling
deep inside you.

The force, that drove you
the power, which attracted you
I also have no explanation for it.
Only HE can explain it

I like these lines very much and in my opinion it´s a great pity that they can only be understood by the German speaking pilgrims.

Such beautiful texts are not so easy to translate without losing their special expressiveness - I hope it succeeded and you like it like I do.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I love this. So moving. We recited this poem in 5 (?) languages at the prayer service at LaFaba. I had the honor of giving it in English. Somewhere I have the poet's name, but it will take me a while to look it up. Maybe someone else can provide it first. Thanks for posting. It brings back such special memories.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In 2015, as I was entering El Burgo Ranero, a man appeared out of nowhere and identified himself as the local priest. He asked what my language was and presented me with a copy of this same prayer poem. He led me to the albergue, maybe blessed me and wished me "buen camino," and disappeared. When I asked other pilgrims if they had met the priest, no one else had encountered him. He was one of many mysteries of a mystical day.

During my first week on the Camino I saw the thoughts of a pilgrim who wrote them in German on a large noise barrier.

Thousands of pilgrims

Who has called you?
nor the cathedrals.

nor the wine of Rioja,

not the palace of Gaudi

deep inside you.

Only HE can explain it

I like these lines very much and in my opinion it´s a great pity that they can only be understood by the German speaking pilgrims.

Such beautiful texts are not so easy to translate without losing their special expressiveness - I hope it succeeded and you like it like I do.
Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thousands of pilgrims

Who has called you?
nor the cathedrals.

nor the wine of Rioja,

not the palace of Gaudi

deep inside you.

Only HE can explain it

These pictures are from 2015. In 2017, if I recall, much if it was damaged and in very bad condition.12FFFC3A-369F-40DE-822A-0E5695494C67.jpegFE6622EC-3C69-4F67-8391-14F30DE7AF90.jpeg3920CE23-6661-4F00-A96E-6D3AEF072F96.jpeg5E4313EE-7258-44D0-AD75-4B17F7BCD880.jpeg6CA1DF5B-F85E-46B4-8C3E-12F3234B802D.jpegFE6622EC-3C69-4F67-8391-14F30DE7AF90.jpegFE6622EC-3C69-4F67-8391-14F30DE7AF90.jpeg5E4313EE-7258-44D0-AD75-4B17F7BCD880.jpeg6CA1DF5B-F85E-46B4-8C3E-12F3234B802D.jpeg

Thank you the words are so powerful and have in every language a special turn.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back