• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Who called you, pilgrim?

Michael; Camino-addicted

Take your time to enjoy a beautiful moment
Time of past OR future Camino
A few Caminos
Next plan - Camino de Baztan
During my first week on the Camino I saw the thoughts of a pilgrim who wrote them in German on a large noise barrier.

Who has called you, pilgrim?
Dust, mud, sunshine and rain
that is the way to Santiago.
Thousands of pilgrims
and more than a thousand years.

Who has called you?
Which secret power attracted you?
Neither it was the starry sky,
nor the cathedrals.

Neither was it the bravery of Navarre
nor the wine of Rioja,
not the seafood of Galicia
and also not the fields of Castile.

Pilgrim, who has called you?
Which irresistible power attracted you?
Neither the pilgrims on the way,
nor the traditions of the country.

Neither the culture and the history,
nor the cock of Santo Domingo,
not the palace of Gaudi
and also not the Castle of Ponferrada.

All this you saw in passing
and it was a great pleasure for you
but you felt the voice who was calling
deep inside you.

The force, that drove you
the power, which attracted you
I also have no explanation for it.
Only HE can explain it

I like these lines very much and in my opinion it´s a great pity that they can only be understood by the German speaking pilgrims.

Such beautiful texts are not so easy to translate without losing their special expressiveness - I hope it succeeded and you like it like I do.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love this. So moving. We recited this poem in 5 (?) languages at the prayer service at LaFaba. I had the honor of giving it in English. Somewhere I have the poet's name, but it will take me a while to look it up. Maybe someone else can provide it first. Thanks for posting. It brings back such special memories.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In 2015, as I was entering El Burgo Ranero, a man appeared out of nowhere and identified himself as the local priest. He asked what my language was and presented me with a copy of this same prayer poem. He led me to the albergue, maybe blessed me and wished me "buen camino," and disappeared. When I asked other pilgrims if they had met the priest, no one else had encountered him. He was one of many mysteries of a mystical day.

During my first week on the Camino I saw the thoughts of a pilgrim who wrote them in German on a large noise barrier.

Thousands of pilgrims

Who has called you?
nor the cathedrals.

nor the wine of Rioja,

not the palace of Gaudi

deep inside you.

Only HE can explain it

I like these lines very much and in my opinion it´s a great pity that they can only be understood by the German speaking pilgrims.

Such beautiful texts are not so easy to translate without losing their special expressiveness - I hope it succeeded and you like it like I do.
Thank you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thousands of pilgrims

Who has called you?
nor the cathedrals.

nor the wine of Rioja,

not the palace of Gaudi

deep inside you.

Only HE can explain it

These pictures are from 2015. In 2017, if I recall, much if it was damaged and in very bad condition.12FFFC3A-369F-40DE-822A-0E5695494C67.jpegFE6622EC-3C69-4F67-8391-14F30DE7AF90.jpeg3920CE23-6661-4F00-A96E-6D3AEF072F96.jpeg5E4313EE-7258-44D0-AD75-4B17F7BCD880.jpeg6CA1DF5B-F85E-46B4-8C3E-12F3234B802D.jpegFE6622EC-3C69-4F67-8391-14F30DE7AF90.jpegFE6622EC-3C69-4F67-8391-14F30DE7AF90.jpeg5E4313EE-7258-44D0-AD75-4B17F7BCD880.jpeg6CA1DF5B-F85E-46B4-8C3E-12F3234B802D.jpeg

Thank you the words are so powerful and have in every language a special turn.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.