• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Who has enjoyed the pilgrims meal in Seminario Mayor San Martin Pinario?

Consey78

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Norte
Primitivo
I'll be arriving in Santiago on probably the 22nd and was wondering what people thought about this meal.
My understanding is that the pilgrims meal here is a bit of an institution and one that is often overlooked.
Any opinions or information?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I very much enjoyed the pilgrim menu at SMP last year with two dear peregrina (and Forum) friends. Each of the three courses was delicious; we had as much wine, water and bread as we wanted as well. The service was gracious and the restaurant space was beautiful.

I highly recommend it.

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’ve had some wonderful meals there, but on one occasion not so much. You can view the menu board outside the door and see if the choices appeal, there are usually 2. The wine keeps on flowing and is good.
I have eaten there a good few times and enjoyed it very much. Not alot of choice but the waiters are lovely and helpful and the wine is very good. You don't need to book either - we never have so far, including last September.

We had an excellent lunch at the Seminario last Tuesday. A wonderful bean soup, fish, and dessert. Plus wine. A great experience

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In my experience, lunch is better than dinner. The lunches seem more varied and 'Spanish' (or 'Galician'), whereas the dinners seem to be more like the pilgrim menu you've had the previous 30 days or so (if you've walked from SJPdP).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We enjoyed the atmosphere and wine but thought the food was not amazing. It is worth going in as the building is beautiful, you can look at the menu and decide if you want to eat.

We enjoyed the atmosphere and wine but thought the food was not amazing. It is worth going in as the building is beautiful, you can look at the menu and decide if you want to eat.
671D3E5F-2200-44A5-94DA-968128275678.jpeg

We have eaten dinner many times in the Seminario and enjoyed it. It is simple, good, and quiet. But, we prefer things that are quiet. We have also enjoyed dinner at the Parador Several times.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We stayed here the last 2 nights while in Santiago and though we were very happy with our room and the location, we thought the food was just okay. There are a lot of good restaurants in Santiago. We had breakfast both days as it is included and it was fine:

I had no idea that it was an institution, but I often don't notice these things. I have stayed there a few times pre-Plague, and found the food very reasonable-- a bit up from menu de peregrino. It was interesting to sit with others who had done very different Caminos. Santiago has quite a few good restaurants-- it helps to remember that it is a university town and a provincial government capital, and not only a pilgrim destination.

It is worth noting that the meals at the HSMP are not stated to be "pilgrims' meals". Though many pilgrims stay at the HSMP in the pilgrims' rooms on the top floor, there are many more rooms for non-pilgrims on the floors below – though there is nothing to stop pilgrims staying in one of those rooms if they want to pay a little bit more. I would say that the meals at the HSMP are usually better than the "menú peregrino" or "menú del día" served in restaurants along the caminos.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have often stayed in the San Martin, and am doing so again for 3 weeks in October. The meals are mostly enjoyable, but I have been disappointed on occasions, and I usually eat elsewhere.

I’ve stayed in San Martin during 15 days but found the value for money for what you get not worth to have diner there so most of the time I went out into one of the restaurants in town .
The breakfast buffet is good.
The waiters are very kind and the atmosphere is ok too but better go for dinner in town

Last edited:
It is worth noting that the meals at the HSMP are not stated to be "pilgrims' meals". Though many pilgrims stay at the HSMP in the pilgrims' rooms on the top floor, there are many more rooms for non-pilgrims on the floors below – though there is nothing to stop pilgrims staying in one of those rooms if they want to pay a little bit more. I would say that the meals at the HSMP are usually better than the "menú peregrino" or "menú del día" served in restaurants along the caminos.
A menu del dia is far better than a pilgrims menu
It is meant for workers to have a decent hot meal during the day . Millions of workers in Spain and Portugal use it every workday of the week during mid day and it consists of a starter, a hot maincourse and a dessert.
And important , it costs between 10 and 12 €
It was introduced by the former Spanish dictator generalíssimo Franco and still being served in almost every restaurant

So you are far better off to buy a menu del dia than a pilgrims menu what most of the time consists of a burger, french fries and some lettuce .

In San Martin Pineiro they served small portions as we Dutch have the expression “ too much to die and too little to live on” and when I was there last year 12 € for a menu what was every two or three days the same dish .
I prefered the Italian or an Asian restaurant in Santiago rather than this San Martin Pineiro one.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.