• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Who Has Used iPhone app "Wise Pilgrim Guide"

alhartman

2005-2017 Delightful 346 days in Spain and France.
Time of past OR future Camino
Specifically Portugues as I am walking Lisbon to Santiago starting the end of September. I have purchased it and compared some of the data with Portugues resources on this forum and it seems excellent. It is not designed around stages, just has information (sleeping, eating, etc) for each town on the route. That makes it perfect for those of us who are aging out of the 22-32 km/ day walking. Makes for very easy short stage planning. I am not clear yet how it will work in practice with no cell data and only intermittent wifi, but I will find out. And I will start with the downloaded printed paer outputs of the various resources on this forum.
I noticed that Wise Pilgrim has a Complete Collection of 10 apps for about $10. If anyone has used any of these while actually walking I would love your input as well. Since a smartphone now seems mandatory, a good app is a great way to save weight. (I still loved my second Camino with only the French amis handout and the Albergue RED brochure!!)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Specifically Portugues as I am walking Lisbon to Santiago starting the end of September. I have purchased it and compared some of the data with Portugues resources on this forum and it seems excellent. It is not designed around stages, just has information (sleeping, eating, etc) for each town on the route. That makes it perfect for those of us who are aging out of the 22-32 km/ day walking. Makes for very easy short stage planning. I am not clear yet how it will work in practice with no cell data and only intermittent wifi, but I will find out. And I will start with the downloaded printed paer outputs of the various resources on this forum.
I noticed that Wise Pilgrim has a Complete Collection of 10 apps for about $10. If anyone has used any of these while actually walking I would love your input as well. Since a smartphone now seems mandatory, a good app is a great way to save weight. (I still loved my second Camino with only the French amis handout and the Albergue RED brochure!!)
Hi Al
We walked from Lisbon to Oriente today before returning to Lisbon on the subway. Tomorrow, we will subway back and walk, this time, carrying our packs to Alpriate.
We only purchased the WP Portugal guide. If we are lucky to do more Caminos in the future, we will buy guides as we go.
Also, we are walking with a Brierly book. Sometimes, paper is better than electronic!
Wishing you a buen Camino

@Walton..I will have my Brierly Maps book--no batteries needed!! But would love feedback as you use the WP Portugal Guide. That is all I have as well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used the WP on the French Way in May-June, no need for a connection, wifi or otherwise. The info was good, the distances were off compared to other sources, who knows which is actually correct. Buen Camino.

Hi Al, I also walked the Portuguese this time last year from Lisbon and used the Brierly, even got to meet him in person, and I also had the WP on my cell. Since I had planned my route around the 20 km per day goal, I had to do some adjustment, since albergues are not always available. Especially from Lisbon to Porto, it is more Pension and hostel, and a few albergue. One night I even had to stay at a Hotel, or I would have had to walk or bus, or taxi an extra 10 km, but I was fine with a bit of luxury for one night, lol... Enjoy! Bom Caminho!

@justpassin. Thank you. Not overly concerned with distance accuracy. Beds and food much more important. And glad for the constant connection information. The application must have much stored locally on the iPhone.
@Zoula. 2okm per day is my plan for this October. And Wise Pilgrim application has been great addition to this Forum resources in planning. The "Lisbon Short Stages" here gave lots of ideas and tips to make manageable days. Just knowing the willingness of the Albergue owners to 'pick and drop' was key to knowing I can do manageable daily distances. Thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Love Wise Pilgrim app. I do have an always on data connection but didn't when I used it on CF. Many many things about it I love - good accommodation info, links to bookings, good terrain/elevation guide. On occasion I've used the online map to check I'm not lost, especially in a town. On CF I would now only use WP. On the Portugues this year however I was occasionally glad of the Brierly backup mainly because of comparing alternative routes but could have lived without.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I used this guide for my CF in 2015. It was invaluable.

I have used the WP apps for VdlP and the Invierno and think they are excellent. It would be my first choice every time, not just because the wealth of information provided but also because you can leave comments about places that are published in real time which can be very useful.

We used it last year and loved it. We used it in conjunction with another app and totally avoided the Brierly stages. All the best for your Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Love it! I'm using it on the VdlP at the moment & finding it very helpful

Is there a map on this app that is downloadable to maps.me for offline gps?

Is there a map on this app that is downloadable to maps.me for offline gps?
I don't know about using it with another app, but the "Wisely" version of the app (which now seems to be integrated with the regular version for the Camino Frances and the Camino Portugues Wise Pilgrim apps), includes a downloadable map for use within the app itself.

That is, you can use the map in the app itself for offline geolocation. I don't know if you can use it in other apps.

At least, that's the case with the Android version. I assume it is the same for the iOS version.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back