Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Who is going to walk the Invierno in 2016?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Now that the Xunta de Galicia has given its "official recognition" to the Camino de Invierno, I think we can expect that there will be a big increase in numbers of pilgrims. Now that isn't necessarily saying much because the increase I saw between 2012 and 2015 was that I went from seeing no pilgrims to seeing one pilgrim. But, I have gotten emails and PMs from a number of people who are thinking about walking this route, and I thought it might be nice to have a thread where people can share plans, ideas, etc, since it would be nice to know that you'll be seeing some others as you walk this lovely route. Also, if you are tempted but not decided, seeing that there are others who are planning to go may help make the decision for you! Buen Camino, Laurie

So far, I can think of fralucchi and anna, Alan Pearce, maybe JillGat, but I'm sure there are more. So come forth and meet each other.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's on the list, but I think I've got the Portugués and the Mozárabe to get under my belt first. So please pencil me in for late in 2018 if it hasn't got too crowded by then.

Possibly, I plan on starting the Madrid in April. Once I reach Leon, I will decide whether to go North (Salvador/ Primitivo) or continue West to Ponferrada and the Invierno. The weather will probably have something to say about my decision.

Joe

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So far, I can think of fraluchi and annakappa
Yes, we keep the idea in mind. It'll probably be from mid September 2016 onwards.;) We have various commitments in spring, and the summer is too busy on the Caminos for us:eek: We'll keep watching this thread.:cool:

Yes, we keep the idea in mind. It'll probably be from mid September 2016 onwards.;) We have various commitments in spring, and the summer is too busy on the Caminos for us:eek: We'll keep watching this thread.:cool:
Invierno in summer won't be really busy ;) Go for it if you have some spare time.

Ultreia!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am planning to leaving Ponferada on the Invierno on June 17th, and taking the 12 day option as outlined in Lauries guide, thus arriving in SdC on June 28th. Having been attacked by 2 dogs [I still carry the scars] some years ago, I would not be unhappy if there was another pilgrim to share my journey, on the theory that dogs would be much less likely to attack two of us.As much as people reassure me, I am scared of dogs.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

I am planning to leaving Ponferada on the Invierno on June 17th, and taking the 12 day option as outlined in Lauries guide, thus arriving in SdC on June 28th. Having been attacked by 2 dogs [I still carry the scars] some years ago, I would not be unhappy if there was another pilgrim to share my journey, on the theory that dogs would be much less likely to attack two of us.As much as people reassure me, I am scared of dogs.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.
Oops, I misspelled your name. I will go fix that!

And I share your fear of dogs. But I made it and never was in any danger and it never interfered with my enjoyment. I have a technique that may be helpful for people who are over the top scared of dogs like I am. (I've said this several times when Luka was there, but I'll say it again). When a dog appears in the road in front of me and starts to bark, I stop walking immediately. The dog just holds his ground, doesn't come after me but keeps barking. I then stay put and loudly yell "Oiga" until someone hears all the racket and comes out and takes care of the dog.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Now that the Xunta de Galicia has given its "official recognition" to the Camino de Invierno, I think we can expect that there will be a big increase in numbers of pilgrims. Now that isn't necessarily saying much because the increase I saw between 2012 and 2015 was that I went from seeing no pilgrims to seeing one pilgrim. But, I have gotten emails and PMs from a number of people who are thinking about walking this route, and I thought it might be nice to have a thread where people can share plans, ideas, etc, since it would be nice to know that you'll be seeing some others as you walk this lovely route. Also, if you are tempted but not decided, seeing that there are others who are planning to go may help make the decision for you! Buen Camino, Laurie

So far, I can think of fralucchi and anna, Alan Pearce, maybe JillGat, but I'm sure there are more. So come forth and meet each other.
I'm a fledgling pilgrim and I am wondering where the best place is to learn about all these other routes. I'm a little concerned about what Im hearing about the CF route. I don't party or drink, and it sounds like that is what's going on on the CF route. I want a quieter but still safe route. Any help to point me in the right direction. This will be my first Camino planned for late September

First get your bearings. There's a fun interactive map of all the different routes in Spain here:
http://www.mundicamino.com/loscaminos.cfm
Once you have the basic lay of the land and know what you're interested in, there is a wealth of information on the forum--just do a search for that particular route and often you will find threads form Camino Angels who post their stages and some sense of the way they took. I've bookmarked a bunch of these for present and future reference. A helpful search is "stages ______" (fill in the blank for the name of the route you want to know about). The 'old hands' around here--people like Peregrina2000, AlanSykes, Kanga, KinkyOne, and others--can write wonderful on the ground running accounts that have value years after their walks.
One warning--once you go down that rabbit hole there's no coming up for a while. :confused:
And there are Spanish websites like Gronze where you can plan your own walk.
Have fu-un!
:D

Possibly, I plan on starting the Madrid in April. Once I reach Leon, I will decide whether to go North (Salvador/ Primitivo) or continue West to Ponferrada and the Invierno. The weather will probably have something to say about my decision.

Joe
I am thinking exactly the same.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Laurie. Having reviewed your guide I was all set to walk it last month after the Le Puy and Camino de Madrid routes, but unfortunately suffered a stress fracture in my lower leg as I was approaching SJPdP. Such is life, but I was very much looking forward to it and well prepared for the experience. Ended up climbing on a bike and cycling/barging Paris to Brugge for two weeks in my walking gear no less, and no doubt looked pretty funny in my lime green Altus poncho on the rainy days (no pack to carry so ok with the doctor). Not the same experience of course, but better than returning home. I met some very nice folks along the way and continued to work on my French language skills, so a good outcome from a poor situation.

All healed now and I'm thinking about finishing some of what I began this year in 2016 (less the Camino de Madrid). In mid to late August, 2016 I'm thinking about walking from Leon to Santiago via the Inverino and will then walk the Portuguese from either Coimbra or Porto to Muxia probably finishing in very early October (I want to take a break in Porto and see some of the areas up to the east). I guess I'll find some heat in the latter part of August, but I'll be arriving from summer at home and I've walked in lots of heat during each of my prior Camino journeys. Will eventually post my decision(s).
Geoff

I'm a fledgling pilgrim and I am wondering where the best place is to learn about all these other routes. I'm a little concerned about what Im hearing about the CF route. I don't party or drink, and it sounds like that is what's going on on the CF route. I want a quieter but still safe route. Any help to point me in the right direction. This will be my first Camino planned for late September

Joodle, I hope you don't mind, but I used your post to start a new thread raising your question. There are lots of us on the forum with opinions on this issue, and I hope the thread will give you some ideas about how to make this most difficult (but wonderful) decision. Buen camino, Laurie

See this thread:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...choose-the-route-for-your-first-camino.37181/

Yes, I'm booked for my second Frances, starting in SJPDP on 29 March 2016, but am seriously thinking about taking the Invierno from Ponferrada. Depends on how I'm feeling by then. The translator says Invierno means Winter, anyone know why its called winter?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
...The translator says Invierno means Winter, anyone know why its called winter?

The Invierno route avoids the mountain passes and hence snow of Foncebadon and O Cebreiro. Thus it is so named since it is a more practical route for winter walking.

Joodle, I hope you don't mind, but I used your post to start a new thread raising your question. There are lots of us on the forum with opinions on this issue, and I hope the thread will give you some ideas about how to make this most difficult (but wonderful) decision. Buen camino, Laurie

See this thread:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...choose-the-route-for-your-first-camino.37181/
Thank you so much for your help. I have been reading some stuff lately that has me wondering if doing the Camino is worth it. Maybe the CF is more for the younger party crowd. I'm 59 and looking more for a pilgrimage and not a mobile party group.

Thank you so much for your help. I have been reading some stuff lately that has me wondering if doing the Camino is worth it. Maybe the CF is more for the younger party crowd. I'm 59 and looking more for a pilgrimage and not a mobile party group.

Hi, Joodle,
I would agree with you that the CF has become more crowded, more filled with restaurants, bars, hotels, etc. (more creature comforts generally), but I don't think it's accurate to call it a mobile party group. I walked from Ponferrada to Santiago on the Francés two or three years ago after many years away, and I was once again impressed by the physical beauty and calm of the surrounding area, notwithstanding the presence of many more people. Where were you planning to start? If you do some searches here on the "last 100 km", I think you will see that that's where the "party party" comments are directed, but that still leaves hundreds of kms prior to that where you will find camraderie, time for reflection and introspection. The key is to figure out how to maintain that sense when outside forces are conspiring against you, but I think that pilgrims can be somewhat philosophical here and just view those party features (to the extent you find them) as just another challenge to overcome while you maintain your pilgrimage.

If your pilgrimage is planned to be around 100 km, there are several other 100 km stretches that will also qualify for the compostela. The Inglés, Sanabrés, Primitivo, and Portugués, and Invierno all have their own entrances into Santiago, with just a little overlap with more heavily trafficked caminos.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Joodle,
I would agree with you that the CF has become more crowded, more filled with restaurants, bars, hotels, etc. (more creature comforts generally), but I don't think it's accurate to call it a mobile party group. I walked from Ponferrada to Santiago on the Francés two or three years ago after many years away, and I was once again impressed by the physical beauty and calm of the surrounding area, notwithstanding the presence of many more people. Where were you planning to start? If you do some searches here on the "last 100 km", I think you will see that that's where the "party party" comments are directed, but that still leaves hundreds of kms prior to that where you will find camraderie, time for reflection and introspection. The key is to figure out how to maintain that sense when outside forces are conspiring against you, but I think that pilgrims can be somewhat philosophical here and just view those party features (to the extent you find them) as just another challenge to overcome while you maintain your pilgrimage.
If your pilgrimage is planned to be around 100 km, there are several other 100 km stretches that will also qualify for the compostela. The Inglés, Sanabrés, Primitivo, and Portugués, and Invierno all have their own entrances into Santiago, with just a little overlap with more heavily trafficked caminos.
I am planning for at least 4-5 weeks of one Camino route or another. I am a people lover and watcher, its's just that this is a special Pilgrimage for me. I'm working hard to get through the loss of my identical twin, and my my daughter recently went through a divorce. We want to walk and talk and try to understand the will of God in our lives. Again, thank your for your time and help.

Hi Laurie did you receive my email re your guide? Aliwalks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I think late September will be quieter and less crowded than the summer months. You will find many other pilgrims that are walking for other reasons than to party. If you don't follow the stages in the Brierly guide you should have a quieter Camino. I just finished another Camino that joined the Camino Frances for the last 60 km and was expecting crowds but found it relatively quiet. The pilgrims I met would have started in SJPdP or Roncesvalles in late September...so I am guessing that the CF wasn't as crowded as summer months.

Yes, I'm booked for my second Frances, starting in SJPDP on 29 March 2016, but am seriously thinking about taking the Invierno from Ponferrada. Depends on how I'm feeling by then. The translator says Invierno means Winter, anyone know why its called winter?

How much longer will this take, SJPP to Ponferrada and then the Invierno to Santiago? How many km/miles for the whole route?

How much longer will this take, SJPP to Ponferrada and then the Invierno to Santiago? How many km/miles for the whole route?

I'm not sure I will have time if the Invierno adds two weeks to my total walk. I will be starting in SJPP and would like to avoid the Sarria to Santiago leg. Other suggestions?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm seriouslu thinking about itbut wonder if it will not be too lonely. I really enjoy the density of the Norte andPrimitivo in fall and spring.

Joodle...heartfelt condolences about your twin's passing. It sounds like not an easy year for you.
And not to be too concerned about the 'party atmosphere'--it depends. My experience is limited to springtime, but it's relatively quiet then, even after joining the 100km traffic jam. After Sarria it was busier, is all. I've only encountered one raucous night in an albergue--and that was because it was at about the half-way point, and on top of that the owners had just come home that day from having walked for a few weeks. That was in Terradillos, a long way from Gallicia!
So what you will encounter depends a lot on the time of year, where you stay, simple luck--oh, and your attitude about it all. That alone can take a little high-spirited noise and turn it into a camino-ruining bummer.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My fingers are hovering over the "I'm IN!" keys for this...it seems so perfect in many respects. The distance, the quietness...
One "But....." that keeps me on the undecided fence is being alone to work everything out with no Spanish beyond the most basic of baby-language. But that's probably pretty workable. At least I do love to walk alone.
I had concerns about cost, but they too have melted away--it turns out it's actually deeper than that.
Really what stops me (to be truthful) is that I wonder how I might be received/perceived by people along the way.
Here's the 'thing': I'm a Buddhist nun. On the Frances, no-one seems to be averse to the shaved head and robes--because plenty of people who are religious have gone and continue to go that way.
The Invierno is bound to be a bit different, and I know very well what it's like to travel through a conservative place, in the countryside, perceived as extremely strange by the local populace. It has its moments of discomfort--sometimes eyes have daggers. With a pack and a pilgrim shell, this would be much less likely to happen, but I'm still feeling a little shy about putting myself out there, without the buffer and company of fellow pilgrims along the way...
So for the time being just sitting on that fence, reflecting about just how out of my comfort zone I'm willing to be.
Can I say I'm in 50%?
Meanwhile, there's a lot to learn about the many (too many?) other possibilities.

[Edit...The Camino provides. The next post I looked at after writing this was by Donna Sch who has this quote on her signature line:.....
“Risk anything! Care no more for the opinion of others ... Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth." Katherine Mansfield
Weeeell...that's a message. I'm not sure if I want to listen yet, but there it is.]

Last edited:
My fingers are hovering over the "I'm IN!" keys for this...it seems so perfect in many respects. The distance, the quietness...
One "But....." that keeps me on the undecided fence is being alone to work everything out with no Spanish beyond the most basic of baby-language. But that's probably pretty workable. At least I do love to walk alone.
I had concerns about cost, but they too have melted away--it turns out it's actually deeper than that.
Really what stops me (to be truthful) is that I wonder how I might be received/perceived by people along the way.
Here's the 'thing': I'm a Buddhist nun. On the Frances, no-one seems to be averse to the shaved head and robes--because plenty of people who are religious have gone and continue to go that way.
The Invierno is bound to be a bit different, and I know very well what it's like to travel through a conservative place, in the countryside, perceived as extremely strange by the local populace. It has its moments of discomfort--sometimes eyes have daggers. With a pack and a pilgrim shell, this would be much less likely to happen, but I'm still feeling a little shy about putting myself out there, without the buffer and company of fellow pilgrims along the way...
So for the time being just sitting on that fence, reflecting about just how out of my comfort zone I'm willing to be.
Can I say I'm in 50%?
Meanwhile, there's a lot to learn about the many (too many?) other possibilities.

[Edit...The Camino provides. The next post I looked at after writing this was by Donna Sch who has this quote on her signature line:.....
“Risk anything! Care no more for the opinion of others ... Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth." Katherine Mansfield
Weeeell...that's a message. I'm not sure if I want to listen yet, but there it is.]
Hola, VN :)

It's true that Invierno is rural but not more or less than CF from Ponferrada to SdC. Maybe locals are not used to numbers of pilgrims as on CF but they are aware of Invierno pilgrim route. Many and good markers speaking in favour of this. I don't remember I ever got "looks" in 2014, quite contrary I was surprised how little interest people found in me passing through villages and resting in bars. Very relaxed I'd say. And when people (on less walked routes in general) are helping you with anything you might need it can be felt that their help is much more sincere than on CF (or even Sanabres as the extension of Invierno before SdC). I don't think your shaved head and robe will get any more attention as most of the Korean pilgrims with gloves and veils for example ;)

Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks so much KinkyOne, this is helpful and quite reassuring!
Rural I'm great with (and in fact am also considering the Sanabres for that reason--and partly why I love the Meseta)...'alone' (above) refers more to not having some other pilgs around who might speak a bit more Spanish than the baby talk I'm capable of.

But what's so great to read about is how laid back the Invierno is--and how sincere people are. I missed the chance to walk the Camino Frances in the 'old' days and would love to see how it is to walk quietly and mostly alone...
I don't think your shaved head and robe will get any more attention as most of the Korean pilgrims with gloves and veils for example ;)
I am perhaps more sensitive about this than I need to be. And I'll let you know how it goes. (Veils? This I never saw! Mostly what I notice about the Korean pilgs is the astonishing amount of electronics many of them carry, with attendant weight.)
OK, so now 75% in.........

Hi, Viranani,
I think that it's likely that your presence will trigger curiosity, but I think it's much less likely to trigger prejudice. I wouldn't be surprised if people look at you a lot, maybe little kids will giggle ignorantly (but hey they are little kids, they are somewhat ignorant), but I think that Kinky is right that the general atmosphere is one where people don't seem to be interested in being the "pilgrim police." I'd be very surprised if you got "dagger eyes." Though I know that Galicia is one of the most conservative places in Spain, the treatment of strangers seems to transcend politics, at least in my experience, and I have felt welcomed and found people happy to try to help me if I needed it.

I remember one incident in the 1990s in some far away part of Galicia when our family of four was traveling in a tiny rented car. I was driving and made a wrong turn, and we wound up at a dead end in a little lane with no obvious way out for me. I saw women on the various balconies, all staring at me -- clearly I was an outsider. When I waved and said hola and some inane comment like "que problema!", their expressions immediately changed to big grins and they all begin giving me tips on how to get out of the dead end. Most of it was in what was for me unintelligible galego, but eventually we got out of there. And I learned that impenetrable stares do not always convey dislike. If you're ok with that, and are willing to make that first gesture, I think you will find that you will feel comfortable and welcome.

Laurie, what a delicious story! Imagining the sight you all must have been from those balconies--a face peering out of each window--and how all those faces on the balconies must have looked...
And I learned that impenetrable stares do not always convey dislike. If you're ok with that, and are willing to make that first gesture, I think you will find that you will feel comfortable and welcome.
If I learn just that and nothing else this camino, it'll be worth it. Over the years I've already had to learn to be more outgoing, but in another language that's a little more or a stretch...
Thank you...very wise words.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Laurie, what a delicious story! Imagining the sight you all must have been from those balconies--a face peering out of each window--and how all those faces on the balconies must have looked...

If I learn just that and nothing else this camino, it'll be worth it. Over the years I've already had to learn to be more outgoing, but in another language that's a little more or a stretch...
Thank you...very wise words.
Hi, Viranani, I have changed some behaviors, too, maybe in trivial ways compared to the scrutiny you will get, but it is frequently the case that when I walk into a town on an untraveled camino, pre-adolescent boys will think they're cool and say "hello" and a few other little phrases in English, but in a mocking kind of way, each one trying to impress the other. Occasionally they throw in the few profanities they know. I used to just ignore them, and always hated the attention. But I find that if I stop walking, respond in English and say hello, how are you, they either just dash off (too bad) or stay to talk to me and practice their English! It is true that I have a good command of Spanish so it's always easier, because sometimes if they are really annoying and say inappropriate things, I will ask them in Spanish if their parents would be happy to hear them speaking this way, or something like that. So for you it will be more of a challenge! Buen camino, Laurie

Last edited:
@Viranani , I'd gladly walk with you: I take care of the Spanish and dogs, you help me with meditation :)
That sounds like a fair enough trade, Anemone. If you wanted to walk in late March, that is...:D

(Dogs don't bother me at all--I used to train them and usually know how to get them to back off.
But Spanish...........
It knows how to get me to back off. :confused:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
pre-adolescent boys will think they're cool and say "hello" and a few other little phrases in English, but in a mocking kind of way, each one trying to impress the other. Occasionally they throw in the few profanities they know. I used to just ignore them, and always hated the attention. But I find that if I stop walking, respond in English and say hello, how are you, they either just dash off (too bad) or stay to talk to me and practice their English! It is true that I have a good command of Spanish so it's always easier, because sometimes if they are really annoying and say inappropriate things, I will ask them in Spanish if their parents would be happy to hear them speaking this way, or something like that.
Laurie, wow, what a different world I live in here --just today a pre-adolescent boy shyly came up to me to offer a donation. No profanities here--shy giggles sometimes, but these are easily turned into connection. So It's great to read of your experience--because my tendency would probably just be to do the 'walk on by' routine...this is another option altogether, and a much better one.

I may well do this in May 16 - I did my first Camino (primitivo) this July and loved it, although didn't enjoy the last 60km (I actually went south off the trail and forged my own route to Santiago to avoid the melee) the Invierno sounds perfect and having seen some photos looks every bit as stunning as the Primitivo. I think I may never do the Frances now as there are too many other options

I may well do this in May 16 - I did my first Camino (primitivo) this July and loved it, although didn't enjoy the last 60km (I actually went south off the trail and forged my own route to Santiago to avoid the melee) the Invierno sounds perfect and having seen some photos looks every bit as stunning as the Primitivo. I think I may never do the Frances now as there are too many other options
Jools, you smart girl. I was a few days behind you on the Primitivo this spring and was in shock when I areived in Melide. I saw so mnay backpacks everywhere that my gut reaction was to find theforst albergue available and hide. I then recovered and had a quite walk through town. This being said, I do believe that Camino lovers need to have also knonw and enjoyed the CF. I think that of you head out earlier in the spring (late March, April) you might still have a chance to enjoy it's beeauty, history, and social aspect before the heards come through. Unfortunately the Menu del Peregrino will still not compare to the menu del dia on the Norte, or even tne platos combinados of the Primitivo ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was supposed to have a camino free year 2016 and then I realised that Invierno is so short that my family will not even notice that I'm gone :) Have to decide when to sneak out of the house for a week and go to Spain again.

Last edited:
OK...making the decision official...and saving the Invierno for later. It looks gorgeous and there's not much time...so not wanting to rush it. I'll be keeping an eye on this one, though...and on the posts about it. It's on my list!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
To my earlier post, I've purchased a one way ticket and have decided to begin in Leon on August 21st and walk to Santiago via the Inverino in 14 stages. Much to my surprise I've had to book accommodations for some nights on the Invierno. Last year I had intended to pass through here in late October/November and wasn't worried about it. However, a few searches and phone calls have revealed that many of the accommodations are booked up in August in certain places by people on vacation, not generally by pilgrims. I realized that August was vacation time, but figured most folks would be on the coast. Nope. They are also touring this area and taking in many of the outdoor activities that are available. Las Medulas being a UNESCO sight was booked out and I was only able to find a bed with a phone call to a personal residence that I found in the guide. Thanks for that Laurie!! There being only 4 albergues means that I decided to search out other possibilities. Some days I'll walk in and find a place, but I'll be checking ahead as I go.

From there will travel NW to Malpica and walk the Camino dos Faros along the coast to Finisterre for 8 days (mostly all trail walking). There isn't a great deal of infrastructure on this route, but enough, and a very quiet coastal walk. Will then travel south to Coinbra to walk the Portuguese into Santiago with two lovely friends from Australia we met on the Frances in 2013. Hoping that way to avoid some of the busy highway walking so evident along the south part of the Portuguese. However, I expect to walk long enough in Portugal to enjoy many of the special foods, wines and ports so long associated with this country! The scenery is pretty fabulous as well:)

Such a great couple of months with time to enjoy the experience! Not yet counting the days, but pretty soon I'll no doubt start that process!! Thanks again Laurie for all your efforts with the guide. Turned out to be a real help finding unusual accommodations.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
To my earlier post, I've purchased a one way ticket and have decided to begin in Leon on August 21st and walk to Santiago via the Inverino in 14 stages. Much to my surprise I've had to book accommodations for some nights on the Invierno. Last year I had intended to pass through here in late October/November and wasn't worried about it. However, a few searches and phone calls have revealed that many of the accommodations are booked up in August in certain places by people on vacation, not generally by pilgrims. I realized that August was vacation time, but figured most folks would be on the coast. Nope. They are also touring this area and taking in many of the outdoor activities that are available. Las Medulas being a UNESCO sight was booked out and I was only able to find a bed with a phone call to a personal residence that I found in the guide. Thanks for that Laurie!! There being only 4 albergues means that I decided to search out other possibilities. Some days I'll walk in and find a place, but I'll be checking ahead as I go.

From there will travel NW to Malpica and walk the Camino dos Faros along the coast to Finisterre for 8 days (mostly all trail walking). There isn't a great deal of infrastructure on this route, but enough, and a very quiet coastal walk. Will then travel south to Coinbra to walk the Portuguese into Santiago with two lovely friends from Australia we met on the Frances in 2013. Hoping that way to avoid some of the busy highway walking so evident along the south part of the Portuguese. However, I expect to walk long enough in Portugal to enjoy many of the special foods, wines and ports so long associated with this country! The scenery is pretty fabulous as well:)

Such a great couple of months with time to enjoy the experience! Not yet counting the days, but pretty soon I'll no doubt start that process!! Thanks again Laurie for all your efforts with the guide. Turned out to be a real help finding unusual accommodations.

Camino dos Faros???? Why have I never heard of that? Don't tell me there's yet another walk for me to put on the list! Thanks for that tip, High Endeavors. Would love to hear about it when you're done. And I wish you a wonderful Invierno, I think you will enjoy it a lot. Buen camino, Laurie

I am still hoping to cut off onto the Invierno at Ponferrada, after starting from SJPP on May 5th. I don't plan to book ahead at this point, because I don't want to introduce deadlines to my walk. But I appreciate hearing about others' experiences finding lodging along the way.
Jill

Camino dos Faros???? Why have I never heard of that? Don't tell me there's yet another walk for me to put on the list! Thanks for that tip, High Endeavors. Would love to hear about it when you're done. And I wish you a wonderful Invierno, I think you will enjoy it a lot. Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie, I told Jirit about it (we are friends both living in the same city here in Canada) and he posted a link to it in the Resources Section. I'm really looking forward to it and of course I'll let you know how it goes. It's newish and looks like a lot of fun and the stages are reasonably spaced, knowing what I think I know about your walking distance preferences. The shortest stage is about 18 kms and the longest looks to be about 32 kms, with an average of just over 26 kms/day. There is 4,000 meters of vertical over the route with lots of headlands to wander over, beaches to cross and many kilometres of trail to be walked. Runs mostly right along the ocean and if the weather is good at the beginning of September it could be something special. Here is the link to a very good Spanish website, but has an English option on a drop box. http://www.caminodosfaros.com/en/

Great videos of each stage with many people shown walking in the videos, but I have learned that these are special group walking days which have taken place for the past few years, one day a month over several months and walked only by local Spanish folks.

I will as usual be blogging my wanderings daily as I go. If you are interested in following along and putting up with my ramblings and photos then just send me a PM and I'll send you the link.
Best, Geoff

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So this Camino (Faros) does not go to Santiago.

Annakappa and me are gathering details for our autumn walk on the Camino de Invierno. During the last week of September we might take the bus from Madrid to Astorga and start from there . We've walked many times from Astorga to Ponferrada over the past years and always liked the beauty of the hills between Rabanal and Molinaseca. We'll try to keep our daily walking distances between 20 and 24 kms, and hope to reach Santiago by mid October. :)

I've more or less got my itinerary planned for this year's Camino de Invierno, but I'm going to be taking a short break in the middle.

If I leave Ponferrada on Friday June I should get to Monforte de Lemos the following Wednesday. I will then catch a train to Ourense, where my wife will pick me up and we'll drive over to the Illa de Arousa for three or four nights in a casa rural. It will also give us the chance to renew acquaintances with Marta, Joaquín and Alberto in the Albergue in Vilanova de Arousa (where the boat to Pontecesures/Padrón leaves from on the marvellous Variante Espiritual of the Camino Portugués).

I'll be back in Monforte de Lemos the following Monday and, depending on the time, I will see exactly how I plan to deal with the long stage to Chantada. Last year I stayed in the Hotel O Ruso in Escairón and linked up with the Invierno at Diomondi, where the amazing descent to Belesar starts. This year I might take peregrina2000's advice and go for one of the other options.

After Chantada it will be more or less the same as last year, although I might well push on a few kilometres after Bandeira and spend the night in Casa Leiras with the Italian couple.

Depending on availability and price I would certainly love to spend the last night in the Pazo dos Gallegos instead of in the albergue at Outeiro.

I plan to post my daily adventures on here and to make any comments on Laurie's excellent guide.

Getting tempted to go on Invierno again if only for a few days. I now know there are many bus & rail connections along route for easy exit to Santiago. My previous Camino de Invierno was an enjoyable adventure involving some long days walking. Yes, I'm glad I took advice & experience of veteran posters on forum and turned left on way into Ponferrada.

Day 1 Ponferrada to Borrenes approx 17km sleeping Cornatel Medulas

Day 2 Borrenes to O'Barco approx 32km La Gran Tortuga

Day 3 O Barco to Quiroga approx 41km Hostal Quiper

Day 4 Quiroga to Monforte approx 33km PR Mino

Day 5 Monforte to Chantada approx 29km P.Yoel

Day 6 Chantada to Rodeiro approx 27km O Guerra

Day 7 Rodeiro to Albergue A Laxe approx 27km

Day 8 to Albergue beyond Ponte Ulla approx 34km

Day 9 Santiago approx 17km but no time to register at pilgrim office!

Buen Camino.

Getting tempted to go on Invierno again if only for a few days. I now know there are many bus & rail connections along route for easy exit to Santiago. My previous Camino de Invierno was an enjoyable adventure involving some long days walking. Yes, I'm glad I took advice & experience of veteran posters on forum and turned left on way into Ponferrada.

Day 1 Ponferrada to Borrenes approx 17km sleeping Cornatel Medulas

Day 2 Borrenes to O'Barco approx 32km La Gran Tortuga

Day 3 O Barco to Quiroga approx 41km Hostal Quiper

Day 4 Quiroga to Monforte approx 33km PR Mino

Day 5 Monforte to Chantada approx 29km P.Yoel

Day 6 Chantada to Rodeiro approx 27km O Guerra

Day 7 Rodeiro to Albergue A Laxe approx 27km

Day 8 to Albergue beyond Ponte Ulla approx 34km

Day 9 Santiago approx 17km but no time to register at pilgrim office!

Buen Camino.
Some long stages there, especially what you have for Day 3: All the way from O Barco to Quiroga? The real problem is that O Barco to A Rúa is pretty short. The stage from A Rúa to Quiroga is long, and there's nowhere to stop (unless the bar by the river is open in Soldón). It is a spectacularly secenic stage, though.

Hola Charrito, above post is my first walk on Invierno perhaps three years ago, which was towards end of August. Started late afternoon in Ponferrada and then all went well.

Buen Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm in El Acebo tonight, Ponferrada tomorrow, and then will be starting the Invierno, which I'm planning to do following Laurie's 14 day stages. The Frances has been great so far, but it's been getting crowded since Leon, and instead of seeing folks just enough not to feel too lonely, I've been walking in a parade the last few days. I'm a little worried about being totally alone day after day on the Invierno, but that sounds better than never being alone!
If anyone is planning to be walking the Invierno starting in Ponfredda around May 24th, hope to see you on the path!

On 15 may I ended my walk on Via de la Plata from Seville (Ourense way) and I am already planning a new walk.
How about this?
  • Zamora - Astorga (easy to go by train to Zamora from Madrid)
  • Astorga - Ponferrada (nice to pass Cruz de Ferro)
  • El Camino de Invierno
  • A Laxe - Santiago (Via de la Plata ending stages)
About 460 km of walk starting at the end of September.
Planning, planning...

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm in El Acebo tonight, Ponferrada tomorrow, and then will be starting the Invierno, which I'm planning to do following Laurie's 14 day stages. The Frances has been great so far, but it's been getting crowded since Leon, and instead of seeing folks just enough not to feel too lonely, I've been walking in a parade the last few days. I'm a little worried about being totally alone day after day on the Invierno, but that sounds better than never being alone!
If anyone is planning to be walking the Invierno starting in Ponfredda around May 24th, hope to see you on the path!
I'll be about 10 days behind you!

Buen Camino! You're going to love this route, although you probably won't see too many fellow walkers.

I should be all right! These are the figures for April this year:

Camino seguido:

Los caminos que han seguido la mayoría de los peregrinos son:

Francés-Camino con 9.554 (63,26%);

Portugués-Camino con 3.316 (21,96%);

Vía de la Plata con 700 (4,63%);

Norte-Camino con 533 (3,53%);

Primitivo-Camino con 499 (3,30%);

Ingles-Camino con 470 (3,11%);

Otros caminos con 13 (0,09%);

Muxía-Finisterre con 10 (0,07%);

Camino De Invierno con 6 (0,04%)

Just what I wanted!!!!!!!!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Right, I'll be setting off from Ponferrada on the Invierno on the morning of Friday June 3. I hope to see hundreds of people going the other way, up towards Cacabelos and O Cebreiro!
You'll find it wonderfully quiet, Charrito. I haven't seen anyone other than folks who live here. It's beautiful, interesting, great variety, I'm really enjoying it so far.

I'm keeping all my options open for this year's trek. After meeting my PhD supervisors yesterday we decided I didn't have to stick to a set route so although I plan to set out along the Vasco and join the Frances at Burgos I may deviate after the meseta. The Invierno looks lovely, though it would mean missing out on doing the Ruta Dragonte again. I'd arrive Ponferrada mid-August.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm keeping all my options open for this year's trek. After meeting my PhD supervisors yesterday we decided I didn't have to stick to a set route so although I plan to set out along the Vasco and join the Frances at Burgos I may deviate after the meseta. The Invierno looks lovely, though it would mean missing out on doing the Ruta Dragonte again. I'd arrive Ponferrada mid-August.
Not only DOES the Invierno look lovely, I guarantee that it IS lovely. Go the other way from Ponferrada and you won't regret it. The Ruta Dragonte is only a short walk, anyway!

You have stages on the Invierno which will literally take your breath away: Las Médulas, along the Sil river, A Rúa to Quiroga, the descent to Belesar and the climb up to Chantada, the Alto do Faro . . . . and many more.

Not only DOES the Invierno look lovely, I guarantee that it IS lovely. Go the other way from Ponferrada and you won't regret it. The Ruta Dragonte is only a short walk, anyway!

You have stages on the Invierno which will literally take your breath away: Las Médulas, along the Sil river, A Rúa to Quiroga, the descent to Belesar and the climb up to Chantada, the Alto do Faro . . . . and many more.

The only problem is that I'm supposed to be doing partcipant observation and I'm worried I won't have anyone with whom to participate or observe!

The only problem is that I'm supposed to be doing partcipant observation and I'm worried I won't have anyone with whom to participate or observe!
You can participate yourself and will have plenty of opportunities to talk to some of the lovely inhabitants that you will come across! If you walk the Camino Francés you'll be too busy trying to get out of the way of the thousands of people on the route, most of whom will be in large groups or without any rucksacks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Currently walking the Levante, I plan to walk Invierno in August. But I may change my mind and go to the beach instead!!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back