• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Who is starting from Lisbon at beginning of September 2017?

Rossco

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015, Camino Portugues 2017, Camino Finisterre 2017, Le Puy Route (Sept. 2018)
Hi all. I arrive in Lisbon in the morning of 29th August, 2017. At the moment I plan to stay one night and start walking the next morning. Is one day and night long enough to see what Lisbon has to offer? I'm undecided if I should spend another day there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Rossco-
Depending on what time you arrive in Lisbon, an extra day may be in order. Last year we arrived from North America via Paris. An extra day was nice. We used it to find the Catherdral (a bit difficult with Brierley map), purchase passports, and walk the city portion of the Caminho north to the Oriente Metro station (without packs!). Metro back to our lodging, and then the next morning Metro back to Oriente station and begin day 2 walking north.

There is a great Cuban bar right on the Way. We talked with the owner and told him he needed a stamp. Maybe they have one now.

Bon Caminho!

Paul and Paule

For me one day in Lisbon is not enough and I will be spending at least 3 days there at the end of my camino in October. Some of my favorites sites are Sé Cathedral (where the Caminho starts), São Jorge Castle, as well as the Ponte 25 de Abril bridge and Cristo Rei from Almada which is across the Tagus river looking back at Lisbon. There is a lot more to see and enjoy including the food but that would be the minimum I would want to see if only there once. You could see all of those in an afternoon if you hire a tuktuk.

Bom Caminho!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, as someone who goes to Lisbon for two weeks every year, I may be biased, but I think Lisbon deserves at least one more day. Or more! I know that some people don't like to mix caminos and tourism, but if you have the time, Lisbon is a great city and has a ton to do. I have written up a walking tour of Lisbon that gives you lots of a good camino warm-up. It´s posted here on the forum. I walk that route every year just to see all my favorite parts of the city. Unlike the first few weeks of the Caminho Portugues, which is essentially flat, the city of Lisbon has a lot of hills. So you will find it easy to get your heart rate going and walk long distances while admiring lots of beautiful neighborhoods and old buildings.

Well, as someone who goes to Lisbon for two weeks every year, I may be biased, but I think Lisbon deserves at least one more day. Or more! I know that some people don't like to mix caminos and tourism, but if you have the time, Lisbon is a great city and has a ton to do. I have written up a walking tour of Lisbon that gives you lots of a good camino warm-up. It´s posted here on the forum. I walk that route every year just to see all my favorite parts of the city. Unlike the first few weeks of the Caminho Portugues, which is essentially flat, the city of Lisbon has a lot of hills. So you will find it easy to get your heart rate going and walk long distances while admiring lots of beautiful neighborhoods and old buildings.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll spend an axtra day. Do you know of any albergues/hostels that are close to the Cathedral?

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll spend an axtra day. Do you know of any albergues/hostels that are close to the Cathedral?

Hi, Rossco,
I gave up staying at youth hostels years ago, since I found that the typical patron has very different nocturnal habits than someone who wants to sleep through the night. ;) I do know there are lots of youth hostels in Lisbon, though, and some have gotten good reviews on the forum, so I'm sure someone will offer you some options.

But for a small pensión (called residencial or pensao in Portuguese), I always recommend the Pensao da Prata http://www.pensaoprata.net/v1/

It's in the Baixa area. River in front of you, castle/cathedral up the hill to the left, Bairro Alto up the hill to the right. It's in a great location, about five minutes to the cathedral. Small and family run.

And if you are going to have some time to see Lisbon, here's a link to my "walking tour"

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-walking-tour-of-lisbon.7257/. Bom caminho! Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Laurie Thanks so very much for the info on Pensao de Prato ! Looks like my kinda place

Hi all. I arrive in Lisbon in the morning of 29th August, 2017. At the moment I plan to stay one night and start walking the next morning. Is one day and night long enough to see what Lisbon has to offer? I'm undecided if I should spend another day there.
Hi Rossco, Brooke from Melbourne here. I'm looking at starting end of August too. My only concern is the road walking at the moment and which are the best bits to train! Looks like it is worth it to stay a few nights in Lisbon.

Hi Brooke. I'm from Brisbane. I'm not really keen on all the road walking and unpleasant industrial areas I'm hearing about but I really want to walk every kilometre to Finesterre. I'm leaning towards spending two nights in Lisbon to see the sights and sample the food and wine. I'm booked into an Albergue near the cathedral that has a good review. It's getting closer and I'm recalling looking forward to it. Maybe our paths might cross sometime along the way. Hope you have a great time.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
looks to be a very interesting city. I arrive on the 13th and spending a full day there before I walk on the 14th. After my walk returning to Porto for 3 days before I fly back home.

looks to be a very interesting city. I arrive on the 13th and spending a full day there before I walk on the 14th. After my walk returning to Porto for 3 days before I fly back home.
Maybe our paths will cross and you can give me tips on the section from Porto onwards over a couple of drinks.

I am walking from Lisbon from 2nd September to Santiago, not looking to walking out of Lisbon and through the industrial area but hey ho that is part of it. Hopefully see you on the road.

I am walking from Lisbon from 2nd September to Santiago, not looking to walking out of Lisbon and through the industrial area but hey ho that is part of it. Hopefully see you on the road.
I agree. A lot people advise to avoid the first part but if I'm doing it I may as well walk all of it.

Blimey. The initial walk out of Lisbon.
It's not that big a deal!
Stop for a look at the tile museum on the way out
Nice little cafe there with tasty goodies.
If you really want to, do as I did.
Fall asleep in the movie presentation.
A lovely snooze for an hour.
Met a Dutchman a week or so later.
He walked the first day, then caught the train up the flat Tejo River valley.
"If I wanted to walk thru flat farm country I would have stayed at home!" he exclaimed.
Regards
Gerard

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
not looking to walking out of Lisbon and through the industrial area

Hmm, that’s strange, I don’t remember an “industrial area” out of Lisbon. Quiet residential areas, yes. Fabulous Tile Museum (Museu Azulejo) – don’t miss it! Then Parque das Nacoes, with the amazing Aquarium, the Torre Vasco da Gama, and the lovely path alongside the river for joggers and cyclists. Why do people always want to skip city suburbs which are so full of life and interesting things to see? It is all part of the camino just as much as the villages, forest and fields.
Jill

I've made reservations at Pensao Residencial Setubal in Lisbon for our first two nights, August 10 and 11. We will shake off the jet lag, acclimate to the climate, and sightsee for a day. Then we are on our way! No reservations from there.
I know one day is not enough to see Lisbon properly, but we fly out from there when we finish, so maybe we will have a few more days on the other end!

I have just booked my flight from Australia to Lisbon should arrive on 4th of September shall stay for 2 nights get my land legs working ,after 32 hr flight ,shall need a rest ,hoping to catch up with a few .:p

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back