• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Who is trashing the Camino with the graffiti phrase ‘melted rubber humans ‘

Charles Ross

Time of past OR future Camino
Two people to walk the Camino de Santiago in the spring of (2018)
Written hundreds of times on everything.
May they rot in a special hell.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It’s all the way to Santiago...

For me, the first half was that Neurope Camino Revolution stuff and the last half was Melted Rubber Humans. At least the latter made me laugh. Once.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Whenever I see the graffiti I wonder who did it? Not to stereotype, but I will stereotype, I believe that the average graffiti vandal is under 30 years old. Probably a local. I do not know why I think a local, I just do and I suppose in my mind I cannot fathom a non-local actually traveling all the way to the Camino with a game plan of sorts, to vandalize property with graffiti. To actually transport spray cans of paint and/or large permanent markers with them to do that, or to even go shopping for such upon arrival. That would be so utterly pitiful and sad, and disturbing that someone would be that dysfunctional.
I suppose there are some naive and misguided people who read me saying this and think I'm just some silly older guy who doesn't get it. I am closed minded and don't see it as an expression of art, philosophy. Modern poetry to them. A sort of 21st century cave art, lol.

Probably a local. I do not know why I think a local, I just do and I suppose in my mind I cannot fathom a non-local actually traveling all the way to the Camino with a game plan of sorts, to vandalize property with graffiti.
Melted Rubber Humans is a music group, so the graffiti is probably not a Spanish local.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Whenever I see the graffiti I wonder who did it? Not to stereotype, but I will stereotype, I believe that the average graffiti vandal is under 30 years old. Probably a local. I do not know why I think a local, I just do and I suppose in my mind I cannot fathom a non-local actually traveling all the way to the Camino with a game plan of sorts, to vandalize property with graffiti. To actually transport spray cans of paint and/or large permanent markers with them to do that, or to even go shopping for such upon arrival.

I think the answer is, all of the above. I doubt that many pilgrims are packing cans of spray paint, and a lot of the political slogans are clearly of interest primarily to locals.

On the other hand the numerous “inspirational” messages written with Sharpie or scratched into the paint of every available surface, and in a dozen languages, are obviously the work of pilgrims. How many local juvenile delinquents choose to rebel by writing “Ultreia” on a traffic sign?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wild Sheep is a band, too. I wrote them a nasty note, to which they responded that that's
"the price of fame" and that they aren't responsible for what their fans do. I wouldn't be proud of this kind of fame... I later ran into another pilgrim, Sheila, who found Wild Sheep online and wrote, scolding them, too. We laughed about how we both did that and wonder how many others have, too. When I got to Santiago, I went in a tourist shop and bought one of those little paper weight size Camino trail markers and wrote Wild Sheep on it with a sharpie (in that awful script/font) and mailed it to Sheila.

This is interesting; a Facebook bio. for the Wild Sheep band:

Biography
We' re WildSheep, a sperimental punk hardcore band from Vicenza, Italy. Ours is a passion we' ve been feeding for many years, we' re trying to communicate our discomfort towards an impassive, monotonous and corrupted bastard society. We renounce any sort of racism and intolerance, we try to protect nature obstructing those destroying it, reclaming our rights of "citizens of the world searching for freedom". We' ve started publicizing our first EP so that our message can cross every border, in the hope of finding people that will give us strenght to continue to nourish a scene that' s disappearing all over the world. Spread our CDs, don' t worry if you copy it, just spread it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
can of white primer spray paint and, in the cases of graffiti on originally white surfaces
Something is white in Spain???;)

I pondered doing something like that, but nothing comes close to matching "granite." There is a solvent/cleaner sold in the China stores that has some effect on magic marker when rubbed vigorously. I suspect that only paint remover will work on paint.

Just after Mercadoiro there is a wall with a Grateful Dead tribute that has been there for over a decade (it is fading). Music band fans are a curious bunch; rebels with more in common with tyrants than Christians!:)

Like I already said in another post, I think it would be best if the local governments just stuck to simple stone obelisk or monolith shaped markers. No brass plates or any other attached parts. The arrow or scallop simply a relief in the stone. Paint the stone markers solid white and the scallops or arrows bright yellow. Every couple of years or so it is a simple matter of repainting to cover up the inevitable graffiti.
It was nice, but naive of the local governments to put those elaborate and I am sure expensive ones with brass plates, etc as replacements for the simple solid stone ones.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Many of the new way markers in Galicia are white. Some appeared to have been painted over a few times. I guess, along with picking up trash, there will need to be volunteer efforts to remove graffiti. Along with this, I would like to see a couple of signs along the way, thanking the folks who clean up the Camino. Might be good to let people know that it doesn't happen by itself. Maybe at least a few will get the message and not contribute to the mess.

I was also saddened by all the local graffiti in Ponferrada, even on historic walls.

Personally, I would like these taggers and graffiti artists to be made to stand still whilst others spray paint THEM. The punishment should fit the crime.

Okay, I would let them wear a respirator...but not much else. Wanna truly experience your art...well, have I got the perfect sentence for you...o_O

Personally, I would like these taggers and graffiti artists to be made to stand still whilst others spray paint THEM. The punishment should fit the crime.

Okay, I would let them wear a respirator...but not much else. Wanna truly experience your art...well, have I got the perfect sentence for you...o_O

This post made me laugh. Thanks @t2andreo .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Great plan, but I'm afraid it won't work.
According to http://indiemusicpeople.com/artist.aspx?id=92102 this is what a melted rubber human looks like:

Melted_Rubber_Humans_-_2005-09-17._Knockengorroch._01.JPG

Now this may sound a little counter-intuitive, but the best remedy is apparently imitation. As soon as the pillars of society, the everyday people and the law-abiding grandfathers (-mothers) dress accordingly, all the fun is lost. Not saying that you should, please sleep on it, but it would be a great way to make new friends.....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I finally stopped into a ferretería along the way and got a can of white primer spray paint and, in the cases of graffiti on originally white surfaces, I "erased" some of it.
Vandal!!!!!!!!!!!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Sad to say, but it was obvious in its green scribble when we came off the Norte.
Last year "wild sheep" was the annoying graffiti along the Frances, but at least not to Santiago (the ink ran out luckily) and a Google search listed it as a German punk rock band. Possibly this is the same culprit who has joined a new band and actually made it to Santiago? Spiritual messages are tolerable, blatant graffiti is not.

€46,-
They have about six fans, but I guess one is on the Camino. :eek::eek:

Written hundreds of times on everything.
May they rot in a special hell.

Perhaps a rather extreme punishment for what really is a minor infraction. But to answer your question, I believe it was a rather demented fan, who stalked one of the musicians in the band. I know she got in trouble with the police over this, but it must have been a decade ago. I heard the story through my son, who was also in a band back then. I knew her father quite well. She was a difficult child. He told me she was off to walk the Camino, and that I might bump into her. I think I did see her one day, but she looked very surly, so I didn't approach her.

I agree. The other annoyance I have is seeing a lot of the affixed kilometre plaques been removed from the waymarkers, particularly in the last 100 km from Sarria!

The km markers all seem to be back (replaced). Now cemented in !

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back