• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Who is walking the Camino in April 2019?

JR9162

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata (5/1/2018 - 1007 km in 39 days)
Camino France's (4/10/2019)
Starting my 2nd Camino on April 10th, 2019 from SJPP. So far I am a solo trekker. Walked the Via de la Plata last spring (2018) from Seville 》Astorga 》Santiago in 39 days with my cousin.

Anybody starting out on that date? The Napoleon route is closed until March 31, and if weather is bad I'll just take the alternative.

Cheers! John
Email address deleted by Moderator. Please use the Personal Message function

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Starting my 2nd Camino on April 10th, 2019 from SJPP. So far I am a solo trekker. Walked the Via de la Plata last spring (2018) from Seville 》Astorga 》Santiago in 39 days with my cousin.

Anybody starting out on that date? The Napoleon route is closed until March 31, and if weather is bad I'll just take the alternative.

Cheers! John
I am planning to start in April. had thought earlier but thinking around your departure date might be wiser

Cheers! John
Hello John My daughter and I are starting from st jean, pied de port. on about the 8th. This will be my third walk. Her first. Last April I went with a film group got to orrison stayed the night and got turned back to walk the valley because of conditions. So yes as we will be doing go through Valcarlos and the valley.
But the most important thing is you may start alone for the first two steps but then something very special happens and you become part of the Camino family. You don't have to pay or earn the right to this family it is given on the first step. It is yours you will not be alone.
Good luck God bless.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I as well am starting in April, planning to start from SJPDP April 11. I'm walking with a friend and we're planning on walking via Valcarlos and overnight there as a gentler start to our Camino. Hopefully will meet up with some of you along the way. Looking forward to it all! Buen Camino.

Last edited:
For everyone who's replied thus far, well met! How are we all going to recognize one another when we personally stumble across one another? We need to come up with some simple visual cue. Any ideas out there?

I am not a fast Walker. Can do 1 mile in 19-22 minutes, but we walk the distances. My 1st cousin and I averaged 16.44 miles per day for 39 days straight on the Via de la Plata this past spring.

Buen Camino!

John

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will be walking in April -- my 2nd. I'm not sure of my date of departure and have not finalized which one. I will figure this out soon!

For everyone who's replied thus far, well met! How are we all going to recognize one another when we personally stumble across one another? We need to come up with some simple visual cue. Any ideas out there?

I am not a fast Walker. Can do 1 mile in 19-22 minutes, but we walk the distances. My 1st cousin and I averaged 16.44 miles per day for 39 days straight on the Via de la Plata this past spring.

Buen Camino!

John
Well in my book 1007 km in 39 days is pretty impressive! Don't sell yourself short! Hope to meet up. I know, we could all have a dazed look in order to recognize each other. Oh wait,, that's a given!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will be walking from mid-April and am looking for someone who plans to walk not much more than about 10 miles a day. I will be walking the Valcarlos Way and stay overnight there to make it a two-day journey to Roncesvalles. This will be my 5th Camino but first time solo.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I'm starting out on the 17th April - you might be able to recognise me from my profile photo:) I'm aiming to finish on May 20th.

My walking partner and I will be starting out from Leon on March 25. We have a 17 day itinerary planned and should arrive in Santiago on April 8. We have planned an extra day in Sarria and one in Santiago before heading back to Madrid on April 10.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If all my travel connections work out, I'll be starting April 9 from SJPP. My first time. Still planning to book at Orisson for the first night, and if the Napoleon route isn't passable I'll turn around and go the other way. I'll have my Canadian Company of Pilgrims patch, and by then a forum member patch too!
Marie

I am planning to fly to Bordeaux on 29 Mar and will start from SJDP on 30 mar planningto stop at Valcarlos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If all my travel connections work out, I'll be starting April 9 from SJPP. My first time. Still planning to book at Orisson for the first night, and if the Napoleon route isn't passable I'll turn around and go the other way. I'll have my Canadian Company of Pilgrims patch, and by then a forum member patch too!
Marie
Hello. You'll likely be 2 days ahead of me and a friend who are planning on starting from SJPDP on April 11th. We are likely going via Valcarlos to avoid possible harsher conditions on the Napoleon route. Maybe we'll meet up along the way somewhere. Where in Canada are you from. I'm in Kamloops, BC

Anybody starting out on that date? The Napoleon route is closed until March 31, and if weather is

Cheers! John
my friend of 30 years and I will probably be starting out from st Jean on the 10th. This will be our First Camino. Our names are Pete and Steve no idea our pace. We are both in our 60s. Leaving Seattle on the 8th arriving Paris on the morning of the 9th. Hoping to get going on the 10th. Glad to meet others leaving around the same time.

Cheers! John

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
My friend Annie and I are starting from SJPP on April 10th, heading for Orisson if we can get it booked, so maybe we’ll see you on the route!

My friend Annie and I are starting from SJPP on April 10th, heading for Orisson if we can get it booked, so maybe we’ll see you on the route!
I'll be right behind you as planning on starting on the 11th via Valcarlos route. Likely will meet up somewhere along the way. Just wondering how the weather was in April when you did it in 2015?

I'll be right behind you as planning on starting on the 11th via Valcarlos route. Likely will meet up somewhere along the way. Just wondering how the weather was in April when you did it in 2015?
Hi, the weather was exceptionally good, snow on the ground on the Pyrenees but warm and sunny, just had a couple of rainy days in the month I was walking! ....hopefully it’ll as good next April!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, the weather was exceptionally good, snow on the ground on the Pyrenees but warm and sunny, just had a couple of rainy days in the month I was walking! ....hopefully it’ll as good next April!
Thanks for responding and I too hope we have similar weather as you had on your last camino. I'm unsure how much "warm" layers to bring. Also did you bring a sleeping bag for that time of year.

Yes, I needed a lightweight sleeping bag and I had a silk liner and pillowcase.
I had a lightweight down jacket but hardly used it and a lightweight thin fleece and one long sleeved base layer. It’s so difficult deciding what to take!

I had a lightweight down jacket but hardly used it and a lightweight thin fleece and one long sleeved base layer. It’s so difficult deciding what to take!
Thanks! Yes I'm pretty sure now I'll bring a light sleeping bag and liner; still not sure how many long sleeved options to bring. But that's part of the fun and excitement of planning and just going with whatever you decide.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will be walking from mid-April and am looking for someone who plans to walk not much more than about 10 miles a day. I will be walking the Valcarlos Way and stay overnight there to make it a two-day journey to Roncesvalles. This will be my 5th Camino but first time solo.
Hi start from pamplona18th April

I will! Starting in the 14th in Valença and expecting to arrive in Santiago on the 19th.

For everyone who's replied thus far, well met! How are we all going to recognize one another when we personally stumble across one another? We need to come up with some simple visual cue. Any ideas out there? ....
John

John, that is something easily solved. Ivar offers a Forum Members patch in the store which can easily be attached to one's backpack or hat or ? You can also access the store from the menu, at the top and left-hand side of the page.
1547158357610.png

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello. You'll likely be 2 days ahead of me and a friend who are planning on starting from SJPDP on April 11th. We are likely going via Valcarlos to avoid possible harsher conditions on the Napoleon route. Maybe we'll meet up along the way somewhere. Where in Canada are you from. I'm in Kamloops, BC

The conditions on the Napoleon are not likely to be any harsher than with Valcarlos unless there are thundershowers or heavy rains. Even then, the same type of wet gear protection will be needed. The Valcarlos route actually requires more overall energy than Napoleon as there is an overall higher elevation gain from not only going up a gradient, but then losing that elevation gain and having to climb it again many times. And while Napoleon Route has a steeper grade to walk up for the first 8 km than does the Valcarlos Route, the reverse becomes true during the last part of this first stage: Napoleon becomes easier to walk as the grade becomes much less steep, while Valcarlos becomes much more steep toward the final kilometers.

So when you arrive in SJPdP go to the Pilgrim's Office. You are likely to be doing so anyway to obtain or stamp your Credencial as the start of your Camino. But the Office volunteers will have the very latest information on the conditions over both the Napoleon and Valcarlos routes. If the Volunteer says that going over Napoleon is OK, then there is no reason to avoid doing so, if that is something you would like to pursue.

Here are videos from John Sikora's YouTube offerings which shows the Napoleon Route and the Valcarlos Route step-by-step. The videos are in Hyperlapse, so it doesn't take hours to watch them :)

Thanks for responding and I too hope we have similar weather as you had on your last camino. I'm unsure how much "warm" layers to bring. Also did you bring a sleeping bag for that time of year.

Hi, maruska :)

This is a re-post of mine which may be of help. Keep in mind that the effect of each layer dramatically raises the warmth retention factor, which is why it is much better -- both from the amount of weight carried as well as efficiency -- to use multiple lighter layers than a single heavy layer.
-------------------------------------------
Maybe this will give you an idea of what will work during your time on Camino. Below is a list of my "closet" that I carry in my pack. Besides it being used during this past late Fall on the Camino, it is about the same as what I used to thru hike the Pacific Crest Trail and the Colorado Trail (most of which sits above 9,000 feet / 2743 meters in elevation. And for the thousands of other backpacking miles I have done.
  1. Pants -- REI, Classic Sahara Convertible, Zip-Off Legs
  2. Baselayer Top -- Smartwool, Lightweight, Long-Sleeve x 1
  3. Baselayer Bottom - Smartwool, Lightweight
  4. Hat - wool beanie
  5. Windshell Jacket - Patagonia, Houdini
  6. Insulating Layer -- Mountain Hardwear, Ghost Whisperer Vest
  7. Socks -- Smartwool Phd, Crew, Light Padding x 2
  8. Extra insoles x 1
  9. Poncho --- Zpacks, Cuben Fiber
  10. Gloves -- North Face, polartec
The total weight is around 3.4 pounds.

The clothing that I wear usually consists of running shorts and a light weight, long sleeved synthetic or Merino wool shirt. All of the clothing can be used in various layering configurations to provide a comfort range from 25F to very hot. This is just an example of how a layering system can be flexible and cover a wide temperature range which is more than sufficient for the time of year you are going over the Pyrenees and Galicia.

-------------------------

Cheers! John

I'll also be starting April 10 from SJPP.... with my wife and 3 kids....! Hoping for a mild winter and nice weather! Hoping to stay in Orisson (reservations in hand) Roncesvalles, Zubiri, then Pamplona. Taking the train to Sarria, then stops in Portomarin, Palas de Rei, Melide, Arzua, O Pedrouzo, and finally Santiago de Compestela on April 20. About 115 miles total. Holy Week should be interesting! Spending the day in SDC for Easter, then off to Madrid for a week or so....!

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For those who do not know, there is a Calendar (top of page in the menu bar) which lists the departure dates of Forum members. You can also add yourselves to that calendar by following the instructions from Ivar:
-------------------------------------------

Dear all,

Adding your date to this calendar is a two step process:
  1. Start a new thread (maybe in the Camino Introduction section?) announcing your Camino with as much/little information that you feel comfortable with.
  2. Once the thread has been posted, click the "Threads Tools" drop down, just over (to the right) of your initial posts and select "Calendar Add".
    screen-shot-2018-01-17-at-22-31-51-png.38829

3. You then enter the start date of your Camino and press "Submit" to add it to the Calendar.
This will create a link in the Calendar (on your date) to the Thread you created about your camino plans.

If people thinks this is an easier way comparted to the old calendar, I will disconitnue the old calendar in a few weeks. If this happens, dates entered in the old calendar will be lost (there are not many).

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hello John. I am planning to start on the first week of April from SJPP. Unsure of the exact date yet. My plan is to run/walk about 18 miles - 20 miles a day. I am going solo. I have been debating about whether or not to take a sleeping bag with me but by reading some of the answers here I take that I should have one. Would anyone here have an educated guess of what the average temperature should be like in April?
I live in Northern Alberta (Canada). The word "cold" means something different to me that it means to most people :)

Cheers! John

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Flying from Bristol to Bordeaux 29 march ( Just in case) Train to SJPP 30th March AM. Pm Walk to Valcarlos.

I will be continuing my Chemin form Perigueux on March 29th.
Coming to SJPdP around April 12th and continue until maximum Santo Domingo de la Calzada

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I plan to start on April 11th, from St. Jean, arriving in Santiago on May 20th. Following the 33 day route, with one rest/exploring day a week.
Our paths will cross on some of the later days. My schedule has changed slightly to accommodate my 14-day volunteering duty at the Santiago office that starts on May 20. I hope to start walking on April 5 and arrive in Santiago by May 18 or 19.

Atlanta to Madrid - arriving April 15

Will find my way to SJPDP and start on April 19 - having fun thinking of the gear I packed hiking the Appalachian Trail that gets to stay home... Looking forward to new Camino friends and discovering what the trail provides.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Start April 18th or 19th from Pamplona

I plan to start on April 11th, from St. Jean, arriving in Santiago on May 20th. Following the 33 day route, with one rest/exploring day a week.
Fire driver I think we are starting our Camino the same day. I take that from you total you were a firefighter. I retired 2 years ago from the fire service. Hope to meet up. Pete

G'day all.I'll be starting my first Camino from SJPP around mid April.No set time to finish as I want to soak it all up, plus I'm not the fastest trekker.Looking forward to a few friendly faces.

Retiring from SAFD on April 1st. Look for me, Pete, I probably will have FD gear on.

My friend Kim and I start CF from SJPP on 17th April. We have booked Orisson first night and Roncesville 2nd night as we will be jet lagged from Aus. We are looking to share a taxi from Pamplona to SJPP on 16th if anyone interested. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Hi,
Starting (alone) from SjPdP at 16-4-2019 via Napoleon route.
staying at Orrison (i already made a reservation) on the first day.
Planes to arrive to Finistera at about 24-25/5/2019. I hope it's a realistic plan.

I'm looking to share taxi from Pamplona to SJPP on 15th afternoon, if anyoue interested.
(arrive to Pamplona railway station at about 12:00AM )

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will be starting from St Jean on Good Friday April 19th for the 4th time. 1st walk i got to Belorado, 2nd was Sahagun, 3rd was Logrono then had to go back to work each time. This year i'm going the whole way, at my pace, with no deadlines. Crossing the Pyrenees for the 4th time!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will be walking in April -- my 2nd. I'm not sure of my date of departure and have not finalized which one. I will figure this out soon!
Priscilla, I will be walking end of April and then May. I am actually looking for a walking partner. Are you looking for one also?

I intend to take the Route Napoleon in mid April and I'm still unsure how much warm gear I'll need. Recent weather reports for St Jean PP indicate daytime ambient temperatures in the 12C - 15C range. Usually a merino base layer and 2 thin synthetic top layers are enough for me at that temperature (as long as I keep moving!). However, I'm wondering if I'm going to feel the cold if there is still snow on the ground up on the mountain and the sunlight is reduced by fog...

I intend to take the Route Napoleon in mid April and I'm still unsure how much warm gear I'll need. Recent weather reports for St Jean PP indicate daytime ambient temperatures in the 12C - 15C range. Usually a merino base layer and 2 thin synthetic top layers are enough for me at that temperature (as long as I keep moving!). However, I'm wondering if I'm going to feel the cold if there is still snow on the ground up on the mountain and the sunlight is reduced by fog...

The advice on layering is a biggie. You never dress with the amount of clothing needed to keep you warm at the start of walking or hiking... you wear the amount of clothing needed to keep you warm 10 minutes after you start walking.

In cold weather, or even cool weather, one needs to do what is necessary to prevent overheating and sweat. That includes how fast a pace one is moving at in exerting energy, as well as how much clothing one is wearing, and how much air circulation one is able to maintain.

It does not take long, with any layering amount, to saturate clothing with sweat. THAT is when the danger of hypothermia, and at the very least a chilly discomfort will begin to take its toll. If saturation or wetness happens, the only recourse is to change into dry clothing. Since there is usually a limited amount of clothing carried in a backpack, it is essential to adopt strategies to control sweating. Keep in mind that the material of your layers will also determine the effect to you from the above scenario. Focus on clothing made from merino wool or specialized synthetics. These will allow the garment to remain somewhat insulative even though saturated with sweat. Cottons and cotton blends are a menace and can accelerate a hypothermic condition.

Strategies include those mentioned above:

• Limit layers of clothing to only those needed when full exertion is going to be achieved. For those who can't suck it up ;) for a few minutes, then wear only layers which can be quickly and easily removed. For instance, adding a poncho will add about a 15 degree F advantage to existing layers. It allows for good air circulation. As you warm up during the first 10 minutes of your walk, the poncho is easily removed and stashed into a side pocket of your pack.
  • Move as slow as you need to, within reason, to keep perspiration to a minimum. This may also mean stopping to allow your body to cool down. Even with a single, lightweight layer, some folks walking under load will tend to over-heat. Keep monitoring yourself.
  • Keep an insulative layer near at hand so that if you are wetting-out while walking, you can put it on quickly when you stop for a break. Keep it in an outside pocket or on top of the other contents in your pack. A light puffy jacket or mid-weight fleece or a down vest works well here. The key is to keep this layer dry and to use it as a last resort when at rest. If this strategy is needed, do not continue walking until you have been able to stop sweating and you can achieve some level of dryness to your clothes.
In the above scenario, you may actually become warmer by removing your saturated layers so that you only have on your dry insulative layer. Dig out a towel and dry off excess sweat as best you can. Wring out your other layers and let them start to dry. If you have a second shirt, put it on. Hang your wet things from your pack so that they can dry. After you have cooled down, and with your dry layer and your insulative layer on, walk slowly to avoid re-heating. You will make progress down the path, stay warm, while letting your wet layers become dry. The real goal at this point is to dry your layers, not achieve distance.
  • Do not discount the amount of added warmth a light scarf or bandanna or a buff will bring as it insulates your neck. Wearing one can make wearing less layers very comfortable. It will also be a good first line of defense against over-heating and excess sweating by the ability to remove it, thus allowing the neck to act as a radiator in helping to shed body heat.
  • Yes, the type of head gear worn makes a big difference in one's body's heat loss or retention. A hat that works well for sun is not going to be the best choice for cold weather. Wool is king, as it is far less impacted by sweat affecting its inuslative properties than most other materials. And even though wool weighs more than other types of insulation, you do not need a heavy cap of wool to keep you warm. Wool is also far more breathable than many materials which aids in heat control.
As with neck wear, a wool cap can be easily removed to assist with cooling the body to prevent overheating.

Much of the above is what I have used when mountain climbing at high altitudes. Patience and light, multiple layers is the key to preventing hypothermia when being active outdoors.

Hello fellow peregrinos!:)

My name is Vanja and I'm doing my 3rd Camino this April/May. So excited!

I will be arriving in Pamplona on 15 April around 3.30 pm. I will be either sleeping in Pamplona that day and then take a taxi to Roncesvalles on 16th in the morning and start walking right away or I'll take a taxi to Roncesvalles on the 15th in the late afternoon and sleep there for the first night.

Does anyone want to share a taxi (15 April (around 4 pm) or 16 April (between 8-9 am, or earlier)?

Looking forward to meeting some of you along the way. Buen Camino!

Cheers! John
I am starting April 13.

I'm planning to start on April 7th from SJPdP. I've made a reservation in Valcarlos but I'm hoping Orrison will be open so I can change my reservation. I created my own shell for the Camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Cheers! John
Solo from SJPDP 4/25. Feel free to contact me. Maybe you'll communicate as you journey. Hope to hear from you and meet you too. Buenas Camino

Hi Everyone!

I will start walking from Pamplona starting April 11. I am planning on taking it "low and slow". I don't have any timelines. Except that I need to meet my dad in Sarria on May 10 (which is a timeline, lol).

Anyway, I can't wait to start. And can't wait to meet you all...

We are leaving SJPP on April 13. We will stop at Orrison and arrive in Roncesvalles April 14. We have flights home May 20 so we plan to be in Santiago on May 19. Buén Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Starting April 3 in SJPdP (or 4 if I decide to take one night sleep before the start) planning to do a bit more mileage per day than the average walker. But plans can change, so I will see what happens ;-)

I will be starting from St Jean on Good Friday April 19th for the 4th time. 1st walk i got to Belorado, 2nd was Sahagun, 3rd was Logrono then had to go back to work each time. This year i'm going the whole way, at my pace, with no deadlines. Crossing the Pyrenees for the 4th time!
[/QUOTE
I start walking my second Camino on Good Friday, April 19th, from St. Jean Pied de Port also and will stay in Orisson that night. I will go as far as Leon before heading to Oviedo to walk the Camino Primitivo. May see you along the Way! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Cheers! John
Myself and two friends are only doing Sarria to Santiago from 2 to 7 April

Atlanta to Madrid - arriving April 15

Will find my way to SJPDP and start on April 19 - having fun thinking of the gear I packed hiking the Appalachian Trail that gets to stay home... Looking forward to new Camino friends and discovering what the trail provides.
That's my starting day from SJPDP, too! See you on the trail or at Orisson if you are staying there.

I'll start my first Camino on April 15th (At least I hope so...) from SJPDP

Solo trekker also

My train arrives at Pamplona on the 14th, around 18:30.. so I'm looking for someone to share a taxi on 14th night, if anyone is interested

May us all have a buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will start my second Camino from SJPDP on April 8. Starting the Primitivo on April27.

The advice on layering is a biggie.
(...)
Much of the above is what I have used when mountain climbing at high altitudes. Patience and light, multiple layers is the key to preventing hypothermia when being active outdoors.

I think your practical advice on this forum ist most valuable to all those will less experience in long distance hiking! Thank you for taking the time and explaining it all thoroughly so even newbies can understand!

I guess we come from a similar background (Army-days inspired wilderness-hiker)? :)

I think your practical advice on this forum ist most valuable to all those will less experience in long distance hiking! Thank you for taking the time and explaining it all thoroughly so even newbies can understand!

I guess we come from a similar background (Army-days inspired wilderness-hiker)? :)

Sorta the other way around :) I started backpacking at a very early age with dad. By age 15 I was backpacking solo and with a couple of good childhood friends, which included a lot of thru hikes and weeks long trips.

During high school, my best friend Dan and I were on one of the Pierce County / Mt Rainier Rescue team. I've been up Mt Rainier 27 times to the summit. The last and final time a while ago.

After high school graduation, Dan and I worked as portage 'mules' for a USGS survey team on (then) Mt McKinley, and spent 3 weeks above 12,000 feet or higher.

By the time I got off the mountain and back home, it was a few days before flying out to Ft Leonard Wood for Basic Training. With all of the severe conditioning from altitude and portaging 70 pound loads from camp to camp on McKinley (Denali), I actually had to go running every evening, whenever I could manage to break away.

Man, I would love to be in even 1/2 as good of shape today, as I was then at 18. :)

I appreciate your kind words. Thank you.

Well, my love for sleeping outdoors probably started when my parents used to leave 5-year-old-me me behind sleeping in the tent in thunderstorms while they hiked to the nearest pub to warm themselves up ;-) I am glad parents were not as overprotective in those days as many are today.
... but my interest in hiking was definitely inspired in the army later.

Man, I would love to be in even 1/2 as good of shape today, as I was then at 18. :)
Don't we all? ... of course still with the experience we have gained since :cool:

The conditions on the Napoleon are not likely to be any harsher than with Valcarlos unless there are thundershowers or heavy rains. Even then, the same type of wet gear protection will be needed. The Valcarlos route actually requires more overall energy than Napoleon as there is an overall higher elevation gain from not only going up a gradient, but then losing that elevation gain and having to climb it again many times. And while Napoleon Route has a steeper grade to walk up for the first 8 km than does the Valcarlos Route, the reverse becomes true during the last part of this first stage: Napoleon becomes easier to walk as the grade becomes much less steep, while Valcarlos becomes much more steep toward the final kilometers.

So when you arrive in SJPdP go to the Pilgrim's Office. You are likely to be doing so anyway to obtain or stamp your Credencial as the start of your Camino. But the Office volunteers will have the very latest information on the conditions over both the Napoleon and Valcarlos routes. If the Volunteer says that going over Napoleon is OK, then there is no reason to avoid doing so, if that is something you would like to pursue.

Here are videos from John Sikora's YouTube offerings which shows the Napoleon Route and the Valcarlos Route step-by-step. The videos are in Hyperlapse, so it doesn't take hours to watch them :)

My granddaughter and family. Live in Kamloops. I will start from SJPdP April 19-20. Been Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will start my first Camino on April 3th from Burgos alone.
Hello, I am starting my Camino alone on April 11th from Leon. You might be getting to Leon around that time I am thinking. Maybe I will see you then.

Starting St Jean Saturday 20th April.
Arriving Madrid from Sydney 17th.Two nights in Pamplona to get over flight.
Taxi or bus to St Jean 19th.
Took bus last year but if anyone around wanting to share a taxi from Pamplona let me know.

Cheers! John
I'm leaving SJPP on April 11th. I'll decide on route and conditions when I arrive.

€83,-
Starting from SJPdP on April 15 for my first Camino!
Hey Mike, our group of 5 will also start from SJPdP on April 15 as well. We're planning to go only to Orisson that night, and Roncesvalles the next night. Perhaps we'll see you along the way!

I'm alone tomorrow morning from Burgos and will start walking. Buen Camino to all.

Cheers! John
Starting my first Camino on the 10th also. I have booked Orrisson in order to have a slow start and to give my achilles a break as it has been playing up for the past few weeks. Hope to bump into you there or along the way although it is fair to advise you I'm not a great talker and like to contemplate whilst walking but not averse to a chat over a beer.

Starting my first Camino on the 10th also. I have booked Orrisson in order to have a slow start and to give my achilles a break as it has been playing up for the past few weeks. Hope to bump into you there or along the way although it is fair to advise you I'm not a great talker and like to contemplate whilst walking but not averse to a chat over a beer.
Hi Staffman. If all our travel plans work out we will see you in Orisson ( if it’s open) on the 10th. Talking with you over a beer sounds great. Just five days till we leave Seattle. Pete

Hi Pete. I'm leaving Glasgow (Scotland) the same day but due to the shorter journey I think I will have a day spare as opposed to your marathon from Seattle. I visited your City back in '70 but its been so long the memory has gone. Maybe you can bring me up to date. Looking forward to seeing you. Safe journey.

I'm from Halifax NS. You may catch up with me, I'm probably not going to walk fast! I have Canadian Company of Pilgrims & Camino Forum badges on my backpack. Just about ready to depart from Halifax on Saturday. Buen Camino!

I am from Sarria on the 8th of April :) first time!

Myself and two friends are only doing Sarria to Santiago from 2 to 7 April

Hi Staffman, my friend Annie and I are starting from SJPP on April 10th and staying overnight at Orrisson so we’re likely to meet up!

I started from Burgos. Today was my third day and I am feeling good. The weather is cold. You have to know that. When I planned to come I wanted weather between 3 and 17 degrees. Till now max 7.-8. Be prepared.

Hello DBride, I saw the weather info online also that it's cold and am wondering what I should pack. Since you are already there, any recommendations of how to layer clothes? Thanks

Last edited:
I'm starting the Camino on the 11th April from Roncesvalles, I will walk with my husband.
Hope to meet you along the way :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Starting my først Camino in SJPDP on april 15 :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back