• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

who knew it would cost so much!

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I just started looking at flights for November/January expecting the prices to be lower than summer (let's face it, who wants to leave sunny NZ to go to Europe in winter except maybe for a magical Christmas?)....and the costs are astronomical - well, maybe not THAT bad, but certainly as high as for travelling ten years ago before the big tumbles happened. My last trip was the fastest by ten hours (only 27 hrs) and only cost NZ$1400. The cheapest at the moment is just under NZ$2,000 and takes the standard 36 hours.
I'll just have to make walking plans and watch for a flight special - then at least I know I'll be ready if one comes along!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just started looking at flights for November/January expecting the prices to be lower than summer (let's face it, who wants to leave sunny NZ to go to Europe in winter except maybe for a magical Christmas?)....and the costs are astronomical - well, maybe not THAT bad, but certainly as high as for travelling ten years ago before the big tumbles happened. My last trip was the fastest by ten hours (only 27 hrs) and only cost NZ$1400. The cheapest at the moment is just under NZ$2,000 and takes the standard 36 hours.
I'll just have to make walking plans and watch for a flight special - then at least I know I'll be ready if one comes along!
Given the cost and the distance, I hope you are taking the “long” route!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It might be too early to book. I've read that the best time to purchase flights is 4-6 months out.

Or pack your rucksack and live in the airport until there is a last minute cancelled seat going cheap?

Mind you, airport food costs would probably bankrupt you in a few days anyway!

What plans have you for your next camino?

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Davey

With the complicated pricing systems these days who knows what prices will be in a few weeks or months time? Anyone's guess! I was interested in your question and looked up return flights from Auckland to Madrid leaving mid-November and returning mid-January on Kayak. Some reasonable fares showing up with Etihad though not very fast or direct. Starting about £739 / NZD1413.
nzd.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you can go to Bangkok first, here are some possibilites, prices in GBP: Lowest date/prices in red. Explore alternatives: Norwegian is cheap and reliable.

https://www.norwegian.com/uk/bookin...2019-04&inbound=2019-05&adults=1&currency=GBP

momondo.com is pretty good for finding inexpensive fares, but I also second alexwalker on Norwegian Air (that's what I'll be taking this summer)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
oops. Momando.com.

With the complicated pricing systems these days who knows what prices will be in a few weeks or months time? Anyone's guess! I was interested in your question and looked up return flights from Auckland to Madrid leaving mid-November and returning mid-January on Kayak. Some reasonable fares showing up with Etihad though not very fast or direct. Starting about £739 / NZD1413.
View attachment 53878
My problem is needing to leave very late November at the earliest and coming back as early as possible in January! There was one 50 hour option at a semi-reasonable price but I'm not sure any camino is worth that!

If you can go to Bangkok first, here are some possibilites, prices in GBP: Lowest date/prices in red. Explore alternatives: Norwegian is cheap and reliable.

https://www.norwegian.com/uk/bookin...2019-04&inbound=2019-05&adults=1&currency=GBP

If only Air Asia still served NZ! Those Norwegian prices are fabulous (although it still makes for a long flight). I'll keep an eye out for deals to Bangkok.

LOVE Norwegian! Great planes and prices, as long as you can do without the extras that they charge you for (assigned seats, meals, checked bags, etc).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My problem is needing to leave very late November at the earliest and coming back as early as possible in January! There was one 50 hour option at a semi-reasonable price but I'm not sure any camino is worth that!

The run-up to Christmas and immediately after New Year. Probably not the best time for bargains. This one from Korean Air any use for you?

korean.jpg

@Bradypus I understand it’s a first world problem, but 43 hours is a very long travel time! Especially when they manage 25 going the other way. But I’ll look at it - if it’s a daytime layover, then maybe I get to see some of Seoul!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Bradypus I understand it’s a first world problem, but 43 hours is a very long travel time! Especially when they manage 25 going the other way. But I’ll look at it - if it’s a daytime layover, then maybe I get to see some of Seoul!

I understand the problem :) It so happens that I am heading the opposite direction in May: from the UK to Japan and then on to Australia before returning home. Flying with Emirates and so changing planes in Dubai both directions. I had the choice of a 2-hour connection on the outward journey or one of 20 hours. As I have never visited the place I chose to have a long stopover that would effectively give me a full day in Dubai. Perhaps Korean Air could offer you a worthwhile stopover at reasonable cost? It may be worth searching for flights using the "multi-city" options of a search engine like Kayak rather than the default simple "return" between two points. When I booked my Australia journey a simple return flight London to Sydney or Brisbane was costing about £650. After some playing around with Kayak I eventually settled for a multi-city fare which gives me a full day in Dubai, three weeks in Japan, a flight from Tokyo to Sydney and another back home from Adelaide for £730. Worth the extra £80 I thought!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It might be too early to book. I've read that the best time to purchase flights is 4-6 months out.
It’s random luck. If someone cancels, the company is scrambling to fill that seat and its price may drop drastically.

I am in awe of you folks from down under who are all over the Camino, in spite of the grueling number of flight hours and the exorbitant costs to get there. I will stop fussing about my own flights/costs by thinking of you folks always.

I am in awe of you folks from down under who are all over the Camino, in spite of the grueling number of flight hours and the exorbitant costs to get there. I will stop fussing about my own flights/costs by thinking of you folks always.
It's worth the money to fly down there for a visit too; at least once in every couple of decades. ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've used the "Hopper" app. You enter in your dates and destination points. Then the app will alert you to prices and advice if now is a good time to buy or to wait as they expect prices to drop.

Good Luck and Buen Camino :)👣

Oh no! When did this happen?

Try the Jetradar app. Keep checking the fares over the coming months...you might end up with something more reasonable. I used it when my daughter and I went to Europe last summer...it saved us about $500/person.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just wait a sale will come along....

I always fly Korean Air to Spain, leaving from Stdney. There is a 19 hour stopover in Seoul, and as part of the cost of the ticket, they include a room in a 5 star hotel, plus 2 meal vouchers for use in the restaurant, with free transport from the airport to the hotel and back. As some one who cannot sleep on aeroplanes the room is a wonderful bonus, and I usually get in at least 6 hours uninterupted sleep.

After this years flight [ leaving April 23rd for 2 months in Spain ] I will have enough points to upgrade to business class for next years flights - landing in Paris and flying home out of Madrid!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

And here I am trying to find tickets to get myself to New Zealand from Europe around that same time. Isn't there a way yet that we can just change places? Or orb? Maybe I have seen too many movies...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As someone else has noted, you are trying to book too early. I have just looked at www.google.com/flights. They have prices Auckland to Madrid return in May and June for $1300 to $1500. Look at the price graph for May and June. They do not have prices for Dec and Jan yet

I use trip.com and always find a bargin. They are a Chinese site but I've used them For 3 trips and no problems. I'm flying Auckland to London April 30 return Aug 30 and only nz1300. Return. Bought tickets Xmas morning.

In the US I subscribe to something called Scott's Cheap Flights. Every day I get alerts about cheap flights to various locations, but the only problem is that the sale only lasts a short time and usually the limitations are not when I can travel or where I want to go. I have a friends whose family has used this method for several trips though. Wondering if you have something similar in NZ. Many times the fares are great and on major carriers. I saw several to Spain this spring, but had already bought my tickets.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Also just want to say that Christmas is an awesome time to go to Spain, but you must think and plan ahead since there are many closures in albergues during the holiday season. Phil and I loved being in Spain at Granon as hospitaleros during the last half of December and we enjoyed celebrating the Kings festival in Burgos before we left the country, too.

As said you can sign up for price alerts through several sites
You probably know to look at different days of the week for the start as the prices can changes dramatically
Look at a different week
If related to any holidays or school stops the prices can vary
Look st travel to a different area first
I travelled to Canada from the US and left from there as a cheaper flight by hundreds to enter Spain
I too have followed watching the prices that are supposed to be better 2 or 4 months out
Doesn’t always pan out

My advice is to sign up for alerts from Scott’s Cheap Flights. I can’t believe the deals they find. It isn’t for everyone, because the booking windows are typically very short. There is a free version that gives you about 1/3 of the deals and a modestly priced version that gives you all the deals. Good luck.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Be careful in the search for the cheapest possible airfares. In January, my daughter booked and paid for her family’s air travel to the Camino on WOW, a very low cost airline based in Iceland. A day or so ago WOW abruptly ceased operations declaring bankruptcy. Her credit card company is trying to get the money back, but there are no guarantees they will succeed.

Book early with El Cheapo Airline and you may find there’s no plane at the gate when you show up to start your pilgrimage.

Maybe the lesson here is to walk to Santiago from home. But that’s hard for those who live across oceans.

Doing the Primitivo last year I spoke to a few people that had got £50 flights from London to Spanish cities - 2 hr flights. Have you thought about flying to London then hopping to Spain?

There is a fellow named Montgomery Scott, you need to get to know him, about 300 years from now. Get in with him and he will be able to beam you wherever you want, pretty much instantaneously. Till then, do not book with WOW Airlines. They went bankrupt this week.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Worth looking into flights to and from London or Paris, which from Sydney at least are much cheaper than flights to Spain. Probably more fare options too. From those cities it’s easy and comparatively cheap to get to your starting point by train and you can book trains 3 months ahead to get best fares. Search around for the cheapest entry point into Europe from NZ. Sounds like shortest flight time will be the most expensive or you’ll need to have a long travel time to get cheaper fares. From my experience, fares at that time of year don’t get cheaper as it’s peak season.

Worth looking into flights to and from London or Paris, which from Sydney at least are much cheaper than flights to Spain. Probably more fare options too.
Mary we use Scoot to Singapore , then anywhere you wish in Spain on Emirates or Qatar

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The cheapest at the moment is just under NZ$2,000 and takes the standard 36 hours.

I tried mid Nov , home mid Dec got the following ;
Sydney to S/Pore $500 return with Scoot.
S/Pore to Madrid return anywhere between $850 [ Swiss ] to $900 [ A F , Emirates etc ]
Good luck , lay off buying a coffee and all's square.

Last edited:
I have been monitoring prices in October for the last few years. Because I am not sure when I will walk the Camino, I chose to research and put my plans in place. I am now watching prices for September/October as well as May. I am not sure where you want to fly to, but I also know flights from Sydney, Australia to Porto are more expensive than flying to Lisbon and catching local flight or going by train. Enjoy the planning.

I am now watching prices for September/October as well as May. I am not sure where you want to fly to, but I also know flights from Sydney, Australia to Porto are more expensive than flying to Lisbon and catching local flight or going by train.

I booked flights a couple of weeks ago on Emirates for just under 1600AUD from Adelaide to Lisbon in Sept. I was in two minds about handing out for cheaper flights but really, how much cheaper would they get and if I waited, how much more would I have to pay? Chances are I'll probably only save a maximum of $200 but I might also have to pay that much again. I'm going to spend 5 nights in Lisbon, then take the train to Porto (should be under 50AUD) and walk from there.
Be wary of booking using online travel agents as opposed to directly booking through the airlines. I have friends who booked flights only for the agent to go broke and they lost everything. Sometimes chasing the cheapest price ends up costing much more.

I just started looking at flights for November/January expecting the prices to be lower than summer
Hi Kiwi family- I'm just over the pond and down the dirt track a little in Adelaide so feel your pain about prices to Europe at Christmas. While we always think European winter is low season Christmas is very much high season, you've got everyone heading over to Europe for the Christmas markets and it's also our school holidays so prices are higher. Just one of those not so enjoyable problems of being on the other side of the world. :mad:

Good luck everyone and buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Worth looking into flights to and from London or Paris, which from Sydney at least are much cheaper than flights to Spain. Probably more fare options too. From those cities it’s easy and comparatively cheap to get to your starting point by train and you can book trains 3 months ahead to get best fares. Search around for the cheapest entry point into Europe from NZ. Sounds like shortest flight time will be the most expensive or you’ll need to have a long travel time to get cheaper fares. From my experience, fares at that time of year don’t get cheaper as it’s peak season.
I agree with Mary. My friend and I are booked on 15th September ex-Sydney hubbing through Dubai to Paris then train to Bayonne - two nights there to acclimatise and then train to SJPdP. As this is our first Camino we have paid a bit extra to get the shortest flight time and connection. My husband and I travelled to the UK in late December last year and there were no really cheap flights unless you wanted to do an ultra-marathon journey and my husband (ex-RAF pilot) will not travel on some of the airlines.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Always a trade off between price and flying time. Every hour counts when doing long haul Australia/NZ and Europe. When you add in time for transit in Singapore, Bangkok, Dubai etc, getting to/from airport, 25 hour flying time can turn into 35 hours plus. And much longer if you accept a big wait time somewhere in the middle. I am always absolutely shattered when I get off at the other end regardless of who I fly with, where I transit through, or where in Europe I land. It’s a long way, and the older I get the longer it seems to feel.....

My tip from, JKK New York to Madrid was just $400 on Iberia. The Camino is the cheapest adventure
you will ever take/ Book on a Tuesday flight/ About 8 weeks in advance to get cheapest raters.
Business travelers do not travel mid week/ Book with AAA Travel and get flight insurance/
Since you are waling and not renting a car the Camino is the least expansive adventure you Will ever take/

Try this:
NZ to Dublin. I just looked up flights in Nov and one example: Emirates $1184 in 27.5 hours R/T. Then take RyanAir to Biarritz Airport (about $75). Then use https://www.expressbourricot.com taxi service (about $20 each) which will drive you to St. Jean Pied de Port about 45 min. away. There are flights out of Santiago airport back to Dublin on Iberia for about $100. Buen Camino!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I live in France. Takes me two days by train to Santiago. Can't afford to fly, it's cheaper to Beijing.

Yes I agree with you! From nz it’s so expensive to get there before you have even set foot on Spanish soil. At least it balances out as Spain is so cheap to eat and stay (as a pilgrim) this is the only way I can justify my trips to my long suffering husband haha!!
I’m looking at doing the Frances again in 2020, but in April this year I will be experiencing the portuguese Camino :)

unfortunately you are looking to travel during peak season (school holidays) the rational of weather has no bearing on flight costs as they are purely based on the yeild of the route and school holidays are always peak time (regardless of if you are traveling to a winter destination) I am a travel consultant and this is something the internet wont advise you - peak season tickets need to be booked 11 months in advance to get the lowest fare (and even then they are not particuarly cheap), airlines NEVER have sales during this time as they dont need to, You cant compare the cost from 10 years ago as flight prices havent dropped, fuel charges and demand keep them high and as the world now has 7 1/2 billion people it is much easier to fill a plane. my advice if you want to travel at this time is to book ASAP, waiting will only see the price increase as the lower fares get booked up. Or otherwise book in the low season

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From airline tickets to food, lodging and incidentals it will set you back 5 to 6k and that’s because you are walking to the destination LOL

Zzotte

Have you looked at flights via southern China airlines... I have traveled twice this route to Auckland from Netherlands. The transThen a cheap airline flight to Biarritz. Where are you starting? A winter Camino????

Try this:
NZ to Dublin. I just looked up flights in Nov and one example: Emirates $1184 in 27.5 hours R/T. Then take RyanAir to Biarritz Airport (about $75). Then use https://www.expressbourricot.com taxi service (about $20 each) which will drive you to St. Jean Pied de Port about 45 min. away. There are flights out of Santiago airport back to Dublin on Iberia for about $100. Buen Camino!!
We have flown Cathay Pacific and found them pretty reasonable. Via Singapore. We live in Australia. At the time we went, we were on the last flight with AirAsia 👍 Train to Biarritz, like someone else suggested and then the express bourricot. We didn’t do this, we came from Barcelona, but have used the express bourricot and found that cheap, from Pamplona. More people you have in the car the cheaper. Good luck and buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am a total researcher and it was by accident that I found such cheap airfare to the Camino starting point of SJPDP. I ended up booking the longest leg with Norwegian Air from NY. I live on the west coast. The airfare was so reasonable that I knew I could really look around and find a bargain airfare to Ny from Oregon. The airline is definitely no frills but I wanted to save money and knew that walking the whole Camino was our end game. We flew from NY to London. We then took a small airline from there to Biaritz, and a train to Saint Jean. I worked backwards from St. Jean as to what trains went there and then airlines that flew into that town. The times worked. It takes a lot of searches, but it was worth it. Good luck!

G'day Kiwi-Family,
The best thing to do is set up alerts on airline apps or subscribe to their email blasts. That way you should be notified of any specials. I say should because it always pays to periodically check their website.
Originally it was going to cost me $5,000+ return (from regional Australia) just for me but by keeping an eye on the airlines we purchased tickets for my wife and I for $3,600 including a week in Singapore on the way over and a day in Dubai on the way back. Also try a multi stop (round the world) ticket.
All the very best in finding good prices.
From across the ditch.
Blue skies

I agree with Mary. My friend and I are booked on 15th September ex-Sydney hubbing through Dubai to Paris then train to Bayonne - two nights there to acclimatise and then train to SJPdP. As this is our first Camino we have paid a bit extra to get the shortest flight time and connection. My husband and I travelled to the UK in late December last year and there were no really cheap flights unless you wanted to do an ultra-marathon journey and my husband (ex-RAF pilot) will not travel on some of the airlines.
Hi Hilary, I’m starting my Camino from Paris in September and will be in SJPP on 5th. I’m planning an average of 20k a day, so might see you along the way if you’re moving faster than me. It’s getting closer now 😊

Hi Hilary, I’m starting my Camino from Paris in September and will be in SJPP on 5th. I’m planning an average of 20k a day, so might see you along the way if you’re moving faster than me. It’s getting closer now 😊
Hi Mary. Very exciting! We won’t be in SJPdP till 18th September. I doubt we will be moving faster. It will be great to know we are walking in your footsteps and those of all the pilgrims that have gone before. You will be in our thoughts!

I did not think anyone would be looking at this thread a year later till I received a Like on one of my posts. If anyone is looking at this in 2020, check out TIP Airlines into Portugal from North America and possibly other points on Earth.

My tip from, JKK New York to Madrid was just $400 on Iberia. The Camino is the cheapest adventure
you will ever take/ Book on a Tuesday flight/ About 8 weeks in advance to get cheapest raters.
Business travelers do not travel mid week/ Book with AAA Travel and get flight insurance/
Since you are waling and not renting a car the Camino is the least expansive adventure you Will ever take/
And if you use Iberia’s cheap, no frills version (Level) - it gets cheaper still.

Most airlines provide free accommodation when your lay over is over 8-12 hours although all airlines are different. I sometimes seek out these longer flights so that I can rest in the provided accommodation as I rarely rest on the flight itself.

Try using matrix.itasoftware.com. I'm finding flights for NZ $ 1200 rt from aukland, and rt from Wellington from NZ$1,500. You can't buy the tickets at the website, but can find them and then contact the airlines. You can organize your search for flights in a hundred ways.

Most airlines provide free accommodation when your lay over is over 8-12 hours

Really??! This is exciting news! @Doughnut NZ do you mean for normal layovers between flights, or when there is a delay and the airline puts you up at their expense? I have heard that Korean will do this as a normal service if you are transiting through Seoul, but I have to confess I've never come across any other airline offering to cover accommodation in the normal course of things, and I have done a lot of long flights from NZ to Europe over the years, including a number where I had to wait 12 hours or more between flights at various hub airports. Do you have some examples of other airlines that offer this service free? I will switch my allegiance to them immediately!

Yes, most airlines do it as part of normal service. They do vary on the length of time, Emirates for example require a lay over of more than 8 hours (or 6 hours if first class). The trick is that they prefer not to offer it and so you only get it if you request it before you get to the lay over point.

Some airlines require you to request it when you book the tickets and it is usually hidden away somewhere obscure unless you know where to look. Emirates have recently changed and now only require that you make a reservation 24 hours ahead.

I have pre-reserved and used it in Dubai and I have tried to ask for it without a reservation in Dubai and been refused with the excuse that all rooms are already full. You can find the Emirates info for Dubai here https://www.emirates.com/nz/english/before-you-fly/dubai-international-airport/dubai-connect/

What I do these days is that I find out the terms of the offer before I reserve my tickets so that I know where to look for the accommodation option.

This is one of those benefits of sometimes using a travel agent instead of making your own reservations as the travel agent should know the rules and request accommodation for you automatically.

Oh, the other thing to note is that it only applies when the same airline is being used both sides of the lay over. If you fly in on one airline then fly out on another then you don't get this option.

🙂
Yes, most airlines do it as part of normal service. They do vary on the length of time, Emirates for example require a lay over of more than 8 hours (or 6 hours if first class). The trick is that they prefer not to offer it and so you only get it if you request it before you get to the lay over point.

Some airlines require you to request it when you book the tickets and it is usually hidden away somewhere obscure unless you know where to look. Emirates have recently changed and now only require that you make a reservation 24 hours ahead.

I have pre-reserved and used it in Dubai and I have tried to ask for it without a reservation in Dubai and been refused with the excuse that all rooms are already full. You can find the Emirates info for Dubai here https://www.emirates.com/nz/english/before-you-fly/dubai-international-airport/dubai-connect/

What I do these days is that I find out the terms of the offer before I reserve my tickets so that I know where to look for the accommodation option.

This is one of those benefits of sometimes using a travel agent instead of making your own reservations as the travel agent should know the rules and request accommodation for you automatically.

Good to know - thanks! 👍🙂

Qatar require you to request it when you make your initial reservation

China Eastern offer it through Shanghai but only once per return trip and only if no connection "that" day so not so good if you fly into Shanghai early. Reserve 5 days ahead

China Airlines offer is a free hotel if you transit "overnight" and your layover is less than 24 hours. See http://www.airchina.com.cn/vaservice/view/homepage/hotel/hotels.jsp

Etihad's offer costs $37 but you can then get a second night free

Japan Airlines offer requires either a reservation via a travel agent or you have to phone JAL direct and ask for the offer after buying a ticket

Korean offers a free night if the stopover is longer than 12 hours or arrives late at night. You must request the offer when buying a ticket

Other airlines also have similar offers

Hi Kiwi!
I'm looking at Camino Madrid.
Flying Scoot out of Gold Coast via Singapore into Athens, then Ryanair fm Athens into Madrid.
For September into Athens $430-ish one way.
Athens into Madrid A$125-ish one way.
I book about six months out.
Jetstar I think flies NZ into Gold Coast so maybe worth a look.
All discount airlines so the extras will cost for sure. Seats, food, drinks, etc.
Good hunting.
Regards
Gerard
PS I've been staying up Waimauku and currently in Turangi. Lovely kiwi summer!

Try using matrix.itasoftware.com. I'm finding flights for NZ $ 1200 rt from aukland, and rt from Wellington from NZ$1,500. You can't buy the tickets at the website, but can find them and then contact the airlines. You can organize your search for flights in a hundred ways.
I tried this site just now, and compared it to Skyscanner and booking direct with Qantas. Matrix did not find the cheapest flights overall nor the cheapest flights offered by Qantas. The difference for the cheapest flights was under AUD100, but over AUD400 on airline specific flights. It also didn't find the shortest flights, although the differences here appeared to be minor.

If I am looking for the absolutely cheapest flights, I find using a couple of different airfare search services gives better results than relying on only one. They don't reveal their optimisation approach, nor any embedded biases that they might have for certain airlines, so getting information from a number of different sources can be worthwhile.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I tried this site just now, and compared it to Skyscanner and booking direct with Qantas. Matrix did not find the cheapest flights overall nor the cheapest flights offered by Qantas. The difference for the cheapest flights was under AUD100, but over AUD400 on airline specific flights. It also didn't find the shortest flights, although the differences here appeared to be minor.

If I am looking for the absolutely cheapest flights, I find using a couple of different airfare search services gives better results than relying on only one. They don't reveal their optimisation approach, nor any embedded biases that they might have for certain airlines, so getting information from a number of different sources can be worthwhile.
And now some airlines will match those lowest quotes, if you can provide the proof. That way the airlines do not have to pay the commissions to the free airfare search services.

Most airlines provide free accommodation when your lay over is over 8-12 hours although all airlines are different.
Yes, most airlines do it as part of normal service.
Not most airlines. I think that it tends to be Middle Eastern and Asian airlines that do this. It hasn't been my experience at all with North American and European airlines.

Last edited:

thanks. I know that Matrix misses RyanAir and a few others. I like it as I can shift the search parameters (for example look only for short flights), and the price given includes taxes and fees. Matrix also recently stopped searching for departures from more than one country-- which is annoying. But it's interesting to know they missed Qantas.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not most airlines. I think that it tends to be Middle Eastern and Asian airlines that do this. It hasn't been my experience at all with North American and European airlines.
I didn't realize that Air Canada, TAP Portugal and Finnair were Middle Eastern or Asian airlines.

Generally, the airlines that offer this service only offer it on their "hub" or "hubs" and so for Air Canada as an example, they only offer it for transits through Toronto. If you have never flown via one of these hubs then you have probably never encountered it for this reason.

Last edited:
I didn't realize that Air Canada, TAP Portugal and Finnair were Middle Eastern or Asian airlines 😂
I didn't say that there were no North American or European airlines that offered hotel rooms, just that in my experience they haven't. And Finnair doesn't provide a free hotel, just a free extended stop over. 😊

Anyway, the list of airlines that do NOT provide a free hotel is much longer than the list of airlines that do.

Hi Kiwi!
I'm looking at Camino Madrid.
Flying Scoot out of Gold Coast via Singapore into Athens, then Ryanair fm Athens into Madrid.
For September into Athens $430-ish one way.
Athens into Madrid A$125-ish one way.
I book about six months out.
Jetstar I think flies NZ into Gold Coast so maybe worth a look.
All discount airlines so the extras will cost for sure. Seats, food, drinks, etc.
Good hunting.
Regards
Gerard
PS I've been staying up Waimauku and currently in Turangi. Lovely kiwi summer!
Two things.
I kept looking (as you do) and ended up with a $1300 return flight to Barcelona which is comparable to yours, but not in December which I had expected to be cheaper.
Second thing, if you end up back in Auckland, yell out. I’d give you a meal in exchange for some storytelling!

I didn't realize that Air Canada, TAP Portugal and Finnair were Middle Eastern or Asian airlines.

Generally, the airlines that offer this service only offer it on their "hub" or "hubs" and so for Air Canada as an example, they only offer it for transits through Toronto. If you have never flown via one of these hubs then you have probably never encountered it for this reason.
Just to note, it seems that Air Canada offers the "free" hotel room only if you are travelling on one of the more expensive fares ("Latitude" and up) - not on the typical economy fares. So, you would need to spend more in order to save the cost of a hotel.

Korean Air is not mentioned in the earlier list of airlines providing a room during an extended stopover. From Australia there is a break of 19 hours in Seoul before the connection to Madrd. I have been promised a room in the Hilton when I am due to arrive in May, with 2 meal vouchers for use in their restuarants.
Anyone want to swap?:)

Alan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
thanks. I know that Matrix misses RyanAir and a few others. I like it as I can shift the search parameters (for example look only for short flights), and the price given includes taxes and fees. Matrix also recently stopped searching for departures from more than one country-- which is annoying. But it's interesting to know they missed Qantas.
To be exact, they didn't find the cheaper Qantas fares the airline was offering, and the miss was by a pretty substantial margin.

Korean Air is not mentioned in the earlier list of airlines providing a room during an extended stopover. From Australia there is a break of 19 hours in Seoul before the connection to Madrd. I have been promised a room in the Hilton when I am due to arrive in May, with 2 meal vouchers for use in their restuarants.
Anyone want to swap?:)

Alan

If i recall , and it's a problem 🤞 , you have used Korean before and was extremely happy.
We followed your advice or who ever it was a few yrs ago and had a great flight.

Last edited:
ecall , and it's a problem 🤞 , you have used Korean before and was extremely happy.
We followed your advice or who ever it was a few yrs ago and had a great flight.
I have indeed used Korean for lots of years, and have always been happy to recommend them. I even had enough frequent flyer points accumulated that this years flight is in Business Class! My only doubt this year is the fact that the corona virus is rife in Korea. Hence the little joke at the end, with the smilie.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back