• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Who lives in the tent?

Abigail Kelly

Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago/Fis/Muxia 2017
A Coruna/Santiago 2017
Portuguese Coastal/Variante Espiritual 2019
Hiyea, 2 years ago when I did this route from Santiago I noticed a Blue tent just 15 minutes on the way out of Santiago. I went back again yesterday just to see if it was still there. It was still there, the tent looked a bit worn but the same. Does anyone know who lives there or the story? There was no one there when I got there :-(

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It was there when I first passed that way in 2015, so it has been there a while! I used to see a donation plate outside with some coins on it, (used to have note asking for donations in badly written English I think)? but last time I passed in 2017 I thought it looked abandoned (the tent was half collapsed and half open).

Always wondered what was the story myself! Hope somebody knows.

Davey

It was there when I first passed that way in 2015, so it has been there a while! I used to see a donation plate outside with some coins on it, (used to have note asking for donations in badly written English I think)? but last time I passed in 2017 I thought it looked abandoned (the tent was half collapsed and half open).

Always wondered what was the story myself! Hope somebody knows.

Davey
The donation plate was there yesterday and clothes hanging on a line.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stopped there in the fall of 2017. A guy poked his head out and asked for a couple of euro. I said ok only if he tells me his story. Turns out he was born in Australia to dutch parents. When he was only 4 his parents moved with him back to Holland where he was raised the rest of his life.

Sorry for the brevity of the first post. My wife was calling for me to hurry as I was typing. We were going out.
Anyway this fellow was Australian by birth, but speaks with a heavy dutch accent due to being raised in Holland as mentioned. I was surprised at his knowledge of English. His father worked on freighters, and he first followed in his fathers footsteps. Ended up he did not like the work and went to travel around Europe. He ended up on a permanent camino, and has been surviving this lifestyle for what was 7 years at the time. He had a homemade type of wheelbarrow made out of tree branches and a tire that he had found. He was very proud of his ingenuity. He didn't seem to have a care in the world. When I left him, he mentioned that he may make his way back to Holland.

The last time I was in Santiago, I was surprised at the increase in numbers of young people displaying their series of compestellas, begging for money with the stated objective of continuing to walk!

Last edited:
I stopped there in the fall of 2017. A guy poked his head out and asked for a couple of euro. I said ok only if he tells me his story. Turns out he was born in Australia to dutch parents. When he was only 4 his parents moved with him back to Holland where he was raised the rest of his life.
So he didn't tell you any more? why he was living in a tent on the camino way? What age group is he in do you think?

A guy poked his head out and asked for a couple of euro.... if he tells me his story.

I hope you paid him after the story and not before. I would have compensated the brevity of that "story" with something less than a Euro.

Last edited:
Lots of eternal pilgrims , more often than not with a serious background of homelessness and / or PTSD ( lots of ex -military ) camp out on the different Caminos.
May they be treated with kindness and compassion.
Absoutly without a doubt what you just said. We walk on our camino and miss the important things "a person life" in a tent and what they have been through and why life has taken them there. I always remember that tent 2 years ago and often thought about "who lives there" We wander by with our back packs and glance and keep walking. For me that stopped me ...and etched a memory but more to find out who this person is ..

Lots of eternal pilgrims , more often than not with a serious background of homelessness and / or PTSD ( lots of ex -military ) camp out on the different Caminos.
May they be treated with kindness and compassion.
Happens in other places too. I met a number of homeless men walking the Shikoku 88 temple circuit in Japan and shared huts overnight on two occasions with two of them. Glad to report that I was welcomed politely by both men and that I saw both being welcomed by local people who offered food to them and also to me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Phil and I met a retired woman who lived on the Camino in Granon last winter. She had a very good poncho that she could use as a tent and she had excellent gear. She told us she had an income of 300 Euros per month and she found that as long as her health was good that she could just travel on the various Caminos. She knew where she could stay and where she could camp. She would stay some nights in an Albergue and depending on weather she would camp some nights. This allowed her enough money to eat on her limited income and the opportunity to shower every few days. Of course when she stayed at Granon she had her evening meal and also her breakfast in addition to a shower. She was a lovely lady and we enjoyed talking to her. We also met others the year prior who were essentially living on the Camino between jobs who were also interesting to talk with. We only met one person living on the Camino who was intoxicated was acting out and we did not allow him to stay with us for the safety of our other pilgrims. When you have time to talk to people like you do on the Camino you find out that people are really just people regardless of their circumstances. Some nice and some not so nice...

I met a guy in Santiago and we shared a few beers. He was really filthy, wearing a dirty old suit and was barefoot. I think he was a pilgrim (seen him before on previous visits to Santiago), he was very religious and carried a bible in his hand most of the time, which he quoted from frequently. He was extremely intelligent and spoke quite a few languages, could not tell where he was originally from though. He was a suffering alcoholic. He wasn't poor, he had money to burn.

I met up with him again later and we decided to go out for the night, after meeting up with his mate. His mate would be what we would describe as an old fashioned tramp. Filthy and in rags, absolutely skint, with a beautiful smile on his face. He never once spoke, he may have been mute, and his friend said he had never heard him speak. So no idea his story. His was a funny and wonderful man, good company, a real gentleman He may not speak a word but he was like a mad comedian, and a very happy soul. We paid for his night out, and I was glad he came.

Around 3 am we all cracked up when in a very strange nightclub, all of us dancing away, we found we were in a gay bar! We stayed, were made very welcome and had a cracking night! Best night out in Santiago I have ever had (so far)!

Never found out about them though, and I wonder what was their stories. Anyone ever met the guy in a suit?

He also mentioned the guy living in the tent on the way towards Finisterre, but for the life of me cannot remember what he said. It could even be him I suppose.

Hope I see them again!

Davey

I've recently heard of 'Man', German hermit who lived near Finisterre. Came for the Camino in the 60's and never left. Died soon after the Prestige disaster of a broken heart (from the ecological impact) some say.
The world is a hard place in which to exist I think?
Megg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No one gets out of life alive... We are all born with a terminal condition... life itself.

It is the quality of your time of earth that matters...no matter what your station in life.

This reminds me of something one of my late friends once told me...

"De gustibus non est disputandum, or de gustibus non disputandum est, is a Latin maxim meaning "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes" (literally "about tastes, it should not be disputed/discussed..”

This has served me well for half a century, since I first learned the phrase...

Most read last week in this forum

Hello peregrinos! My daughter and I are walking the CF from SJPP and hope to arrive in SDC around a week before we fly home (late June). We'd like to walk to either Finisterra or Muxia and then...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back