• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Who "owns" the albergue at Roncesvalles?

DurhamParish

Un Cerveza, Por Favor
Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho Portuguese 2012 & 2018
Camino Frances 2014, 2015, 2015, 2017, 2018
I'm doing a talk on the Camino in a week or so. I was trying to add a bit about Roncesvalles and I found out that I really don't know how to truly describe it. Who does it belong to? The Church? Is it still a monastery?

Thanks for any help.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you. That website was great, and I think it satisfies my curiosity and will be enough for the talk I'm giving. Are there still any monks or nuns resident there?

Thank you. That website was great, and I think it satisfies my curiosity and will be enough for the talk I'm giving. Are there still any monks or nuns resident there?
Yes there still are a small group of monks or canons resident at Roncesvalles. Every evening throughout the year in the church they hold a special Vespers service and blessing for pilgrims. Don't miss it.

Yes there still are a small group of monks or canons resident at Roncesvalles. Every evening throughout the year in the church they hold a special Vespers service and blessing for pilgrims. Don't miss it.

I was there in May of 2014 and went to the 8:00 PM Pilgrim's Mass. Didn't know that there were monks there. But I did enjoy the Mass.

In my planning I had thought to pass Roncesvalles and go on to Burguete, since I was staying at Orisson the night before. People here told me I shouldn't miss Roncesvalles. I'm very much glad that I stayed there.

Thanks for your help.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Yes there still are a small group of monks or canons resident at Roncesvalles

The history for XX and XXI centuries available on the link provided by mspath on her first post on this thread says they are priest-canons subject to the same rules than the rest of the Diocesan clergy. In other words, they aren't monks because they don't belong to any Catholic Religious Order (or so I think because I'm not an expert).

Last edited by a moderator:
Castilian,

Thank you for the clarification re the present day priest-canons at Roncesvalles. Of course, I had earlier read those descriptive sections regarding c. 1980 organizational changes at Roncesvalles and wondered what is the current term for such a complex ? What is the precise English term for a religious Colegiata?

MM

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to have my first night on my first Camino be in Roncesvalles when the albergue was in the old stone building across thenew and improved dogs. It was magical. Memorable. I gather the new digs are clean and modern, spacious, similar to Jesus & Maria in Pamplona. Will always cherish that night in the stine building, and being woken up with the lights slowly being turned on on those massive chandeliers and classical music.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
DurhamParish:
The alberque at Roncesvalles is no longer a monastery since a monastery is "a building or buildings occupied by a community of monks living under religious vows." The priests at Roncesvalles are diocesan priests of the Diocese of Pamplona. Diocesan priests are not monks. The alberque is owned by the Diocese of Pamplona. "Collegiate church" is not a term commonly used in the Catholic Church today. The Church at Roncesvalles, in addition to being a Church where pilgrims can go to Mass and Evening Prayer, is also a parish church, i.e. the designated church for Catholics in that local area. I hope this information is helpful and hope your talk goes well!

Kay Kramer

Thank you Sister Kay, and thanks to everyone for the great information. I doubt anyone who I will be addressing would know one way or the other, but I would. I like to be correct.

Last edited:
The priests at Roncesvalles are diocesan priests of the Diocese of Pamplona.

As it seems there are some users interested in be as accurate as posible, Pamplona is an archdiocese since the mid 50's and in the mid 80's the diocese of Tudela was joined to form a single archdiocese with Pamplona so nowadays it's the archdiocese of Pamplona and Tudela being the person in charge of it archbishop of Pamplona and bishop of Tudela.

The alberque is owned by the Diocese of Pamplona.

I don't know for sure who owns the albergue but I'd like to point out that it might be runned by a diferent person/entity. That's something durhamparish might research.

"Collegiate church" is not a term commonly used in the Catholic Church today.

I guess it depends on the area of the world where you are located. In Spain, colegiata (Collegiate church) isn't a rare term at all although I'm not sure if all the colegiatas work nowadays as such. Anyway, the colegiata de Roncesvalles still has a cabildo (chapter/college of cannons) and the person in charge of it has the title of prior so I think it meets all the requirements to be properly called a colegiata (Collegiate church) independently of how common or uncommon that term is. BTW, the prior of the colegiata de Roncesvalles keeps the medieval title of Gran Abad de Colonia.

The Church at Roncesvalles, in addition to being a Church where pilgrims can go to Mass and Evening Prayer, is also a parish church, i.e. the designated church for Catholics in that local area.

...and (some) members of the cabildo de Roncesvalles are in charge of (some) parishes of nearby towns.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Monks are members of a religious order who live in a monastery and largely stay within its walls. A friar is also a member of an order who lives in a friary, but they go out to work among the people, giving retreats and ministering to the poor or teaching in schools etc.
Usually diocesan or 'secular' priests work entirely among the people and run a parish. Sometimes they form a community and run schools / 'colleges' (st Jarlaths in Galway, Ireland is one. It's a secondary or high school for 12 to 18's).
Here endeth the lesson.
Good luck with the talk. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am concerned that we will get to Roncesvalles on April 20 and it will be full. I can't seem to reach them to reserve. Ideas?

The albergue has 183 beds and an overflow area (the old albergue) of 110. Too, there is a hotel.

I guess your other options are to sleep under a park bench or keep walking to Burgete .. but it seems unlikely that will be necessary.

I would suggest laying your plans so that its not do-or-die to find a bunk at Roncesvalles.

DurhamParish:
The alberque at Roncesvalles is no longer a monastery since a monastery is "a building or buildings occupied by a community of monks living under religious vows." The priests at Roncesvalles are diocesan priests of the Diocese of Pamplona. Diocesan priests are not monks. The alberque is owned by the Diocese of Pamplona. "Collegiate church" is not a term commonly used in the Catholic Church today. The Church at Roncesvalles, in addition to being a Church where pilgrims can go to Mass and Evening Prayer, is also a parish church, i.e. the designated church for Catholics in that local area. I hope this information is helpful and hope your talk goes well!

Kay Kramer
How does one expect monasteries to survive since the Vatican Council?

I'm doing a talk on the Camino in a week or so. I was trying to add a bit about Roncesvalles and I found out that I really don't know how to truly describe it. Who does it belong to? The Church? Is it still a monastery?

Thanks for any help.
Its a dutch owned monestary

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Dutch volunteer hospitaleros on two-weeks stints. No monks, they left Roncesvalles between 1979 and 1983. Currently diocesan priests living in one of the buildings in some kind of statutory community (Cabildo colegial de Roncesvalles), with pastoral care for neighbouring villages and pilgrims mass. Albergue and hotels owned by the Archdiocese of Pamplona y Tudela. More info in previous posts.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.