• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Who will be on the Madrid this April?

OTH86

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 x 2, 2017, 2021, 2022
In browsing the Camino de Madrid recently, I noticed several forum members have mentioned they will or might be walking the Madrid this Spring - Anniesantiago, jpflavin1, CK007, don88, HeidiL, maybe Undermanager, Rod the Slob, t2andreo... any others - yet?
Just curious, since I'm pretty sure I'll be there too as of about 18 April from Plaza Castilla - but going slowly... I like solitude up to a point - so will be looking for friendly faces!
Looking forward to a different season and a different route..
Have REALLY enjoyed reading Kinky's, Undermanager's, and Annie's daily postings and blogs from the last couple of years -- about to start on Laurie's soon!
Are there weekly markets in any of the towns along the way? Are ATMs fairly frequent? Are the dogs reasonably friendly? Will I finally see storks?? Soooo looking forward to this next one!!!
Buen Camino!
Terry

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lots of ATMs the first three days, then none for a while. Bring cash.

Lots and lots of storks, more the further you get.

And yes, my husband and I will be walking from Valdestillas at Easter.

Have a lovely Camino!

In browsing the Camino de Madrid recently, I noticed several forum members have mentioned they will or might be walking the Madrid this Spring - Anniesantiago, jpflavin1, CK007, don88, HeidiL, maybe Undermanager, Rod the Slob, t2andreo... any others - yet?
Just curious, since I'm pretty sure I'll be there too as of about 18 April from Plaza Castilla - but going slowly... I like solitude up to a point - so will be looking for friendly faces!
Have REALLY enjoyed reading Kinky's, Undermanager's, and Annie's daily postings and blogs from the last couple of years -- about to start on Laurie's soon!
Are there weekly markets in any of the towns along the way? Are ATMs fairly frequent? Are the dogs reasonably friendly? Will I finally see storks?? Soooo looking forward to this next one!!!
Buen Camino!
Terry

Terry:

I will be starting from Madrid on March 31st. I am not familiar with this route so I am not sure if I can answer any of your other questions.

That said, It is hard to believe you walked the Frances and did not see any Storks. As I recall, They were pretty much everywhere.

Since we are leaving 2+ weeks apart, it is unlikely we will meet but I wish you a "Buen Camino Madrid".

Are you going all the way to Santiago? If you are continuing on and like solitary routes, you might want to walk the Salvador when you reach Leon.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Terry:

I will be starting from Madrid on March 31st. I am not familiar with this route so I am not sure if I can answer any of your other questions.

That said, It is hard to believe you walked the Frances and did not see any Storks. As I recall, They were pretty much everywhere.

Since we are leaving 2+ weeks apart, it is unlikely we will meet but I wish you a "Buen Camino Madrid".

Are you going all the way to Madrid? If you are continuing on and like solitary routes, you might want to walk the Salvador when you reach Leon.

Ultreya,
Joe
Hi Joe, I think the storks leave for Africa in the Fall? When I was in Peace Corps in Niger I loved watching them arrive from Europe, but from about mid-Sept and Oct, I didn't see any along the Camino. :-(
I'm planning for Madrid & Frances to Santiago mid-April to mid June - taking my time. Could change route at some point, but even tho I like solitude, I also like to be able to see a few people around!
Terry

Hi Joe, I think the storks leave for Africa in the Fall? When I was in Peace Corps in Niger I loved watching them arrive from Europe, but from about mid-Sept and Oct, I didn't see any along the Camino. :-(
I'm planning for Madrid & Frances to Santiago mid-April to mid June - taking my time. Could change route at some point, but even tho I like solitude, I also like to be able to see a few people around!
Terry

Terry:

I always walk in the Spring and cannot recall a Camino with out Storks. So your wish to see them should be fulfilled many times.

Joe

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi there!
Looks like we'll be starting the same day!
I'll be staying in Hostal Alonso in Madrid from April 15-18, when we begin walking.
Look me up and we can share notes.

Once we start, we will be a bit ahead of you because we won't begin walking from the city.
We'll take the train out and begin in Tres Cantos.

As someone else mentioned, there are ATMs in some places, but not all.
However, we didn't have a problem finding cash when we needed it.
Just be sure to pick it up in the larger towns.

Whether or not you hit weekly markets will be a tossup.
We only passed one, and without looking at my blog, I can't recall where it was.
Tiendas can also be hit or miss.
I posted about food we found on my blog which starts here for the Camino Madrid route:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2014/05/in-madrid.html

If there was one place I'd say absolutely do not miss,
it is a visit to the church in Alcazaran. (see my blog)
Here, for several generations, children would talk about "pictures on the walls" behind the retablo,
a space only a small child could fit into.
Then one day, someone actually looked, and what they found was incredible!
If possible, schedule a church visit with Victor at the TI.

I saw more storks up close on this route than on any other route,
but I'm sure that's because of the time of year.
They'll be nesting and hatching, so you are sure to see plenty of them!

I know you're going to enjoy this Camino!
Hopefully, we'll share a cup of coffee or a beer!
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I have seen storks year round in Spain. I had heard that many have stopped migrating for the winter because of climate change, online sources seem to confirm that. But in any event, there will be lots and lots on the Camino de Madrid.

As far as dogs go, Terry, I am one of the big dog-phones on the forum, and I don't recall any problems at all. Certainly won't be a big issue.

And to those of you walking the Madrid this year -- see if you can visit the inside of the church in Wamba. I had been looking forward to it so much, and it was closed when I arrived (no surprise there), but later learned that there is someone nearby who will open up for you. Would love to hear what it's like inside. Started in the 10th century, kind of square and imposing.

Buen camino to everyone heading out on the Madrid. Looks like it may not be as solitary as it has been in the past. Laurie

I have seen storks year round in Spain. I had heard that many have stopped migrating for the winter because of climate change, online sources seem to confirm that. But in any event, there will be lots and lots on the Camino de Madrid.

As far as dogs go, Terry, I am one of the big dog-phones on the forum, and I don't recall any problems at all. Certainly won't be a big issue.

And to those of you walking the Madrid this year -- see if you can visit the inside of the church in Wamba. I had been looking forward to it so much, and it was closed when I arrived (no surprise there), but later learned that there is someone nearby who will open up for you. Would love to hear what it's like inside. Started in the 10th century, kind of square and imposing.

Buen camino to everyone heading out on the Madrid. Looks like it may not be as solitary as it has been in the past. Laurie

We will check out the church at Wamba, Laurie.
When Joe wakes up I'll ask if he went inside. Seems he said he did. And if so, he probably has photos.

And I don't remember any dogs, either.
I'm another person who is afraid of dogs!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We will check out the church at Wamba, Laurie.
When Joe wakes up I'll ask if he went inside. Seems he said he did. And if so, he probably has photos.

And I don't remember any dogs, either.
I'm another person who is afraid of dogs!
According to Google searches, the inside is quite nice. And there is one of those slightly gruesome ossuaries with skeletal remains spanning several centuries. But it also looks like there are some mural remains, some nice capitals, etc.
http://www.turismo-prerromanico.com...anta-mara-de-wamba-20130411152814/#ad-image-0

Thanks, Annie, Buen camino,Laurie

Buen Camino!
Terry
Hola, Terry!

I'm sure you'll love Camino de Madrid. Personally I haven't met friendlier people on any other of my Caminos. And in the spring there will be much more people (mostly Spaniards I guess) than in the summer heat.

I wasn't lucky enough to see any market in the villages and towns but that doesn't mean they aren't ;)

I remember ATM's in many towns along the way that I have slept in except Zamarramala (just after Segovia), Ane, Villeguillo, Penaflor de Hornija, Castromonte (not really sure), Tamariz & Cuenca de Campos but you have plenty of them in towns between like Coca, Medina de Rioseco, Simancas etc. No problem there. This year on Levante & Sanabres I learned that some tiendas, bars and small petrol stations offer cash withdrawal with credit (or usuall bank/debit???) cards with no additional fees. But of course they like if you buy something also. Might be the same on Madrid but as already said no need for that.

No recollection of loose or unfriendly dogs and you'll be able to see plenty of storks :)

Ultreia!

Kinky's comment about markets reminded me that I shopped at what was by far the best "supermarket in a van" I have ever seen in Spain in Castromonte. The produce was out of this world, and it tasted as good as it looked (a novelty for those of us in the US who are used to getting perfectly shaped and colored fruits and vegetables that have no taste). NOt sure how often it comes through town, though.

And just reading through Kinky's list of towns brought back wonderful memories, it is a VERY nice camino. Castles, plazas, churches, pillories, you'll see it all! I walked in 2012, starting in early May and met two pilgrims on foot and two or three groups of cyclists.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Kinky's comment about markets reminded me that I shopped at what was by far the best "supermarket in a van" I have ever seen in Spain in Castromonte. The produce was out of this world, and it tasted as good as it looked (a novelty for those of us in the US who are used to getting perfectly shaped and colored fruits and vegetables that have no taste). NOt sure how often it comes through town, though.

And just reading through Kinky's list of towns brought back wonderful memories, it is a VERY nice camino. Castles, plazas, churches, pillories, you'll see it all! I walked in 2012, starting in early May and met two pilgrims on foot and two or three groups of cyclists.
As I remember in Castromonte there is a carniceria opened only in the morning and as the siesta ends this van come to the village told me the old senor in Bar Caribe. But it didn't show up the day I was there ;)

Nothing unusual I guess because there was 3 hours long fierce storm with hale that afternoon and poor me "locked" inside the bar :D

According to Google searches, the inside is quite nice. And there is one of those slightly gruesome ossuaries with skeletal remains spanning several centuries. But it also looks like there are some mural remains, some nice capitals, etc.
http://www.turismo-prerromanico.com...anta-mara-de-wamba-20130411152814/#ad-image-0

Thanks, Annie, Buen camino,Laurie

Laurie, Joe said he went to the church, but they were closed.
Dang!
Ok.. this is going to be on my list!
Joe made a photo that showed which days it was open.
I'll see if he can find it and we'll post it later today.

NOTE: I just found this on your link. It looks like you can call for them to open. Maybe the day before?:

Information Telephone: City of Wamba: 983.56.33.17 Visiting hours: To visit contact the hall Friday from 17:00 to 19 : 30 hours. Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 10:00 to 13:30 and 17:00 to 19:30. Free visit.

I just wrote to the folks at the Pilgrim Office to try to nail down my volunteer service days for 2016. I hope to be able to pencil in firm dates for these periods, as well as my Camino de Madrid this coming week, first week of February.

For the 'good of the order" I will post my Camino de Madrid dates in this string. You can tag along if you wish and your dates coincide, or avoid me, whatever best suits you. I harbor no pretense. Also, I prefer hostals and hotels to albergues except in extremis...just FYI.

Later...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Are ATMs fairly frequent?

Yes, till Segovia. Once you leave Segovia, if I'm not wrong, you don't have another one till Santa María la Real de Nieva. Then you have in Nava de la Asunción and Coca. I'm not sure if there's in Alcazarén so get cash in Coca to be safe because if there isn't one in Alcazarén, the next one would be in Valdestillas. There's one in Puente Duero and in Simancas too. Get cash in Simancas because I think there isn't another one till you reach Medina de Rioseco. After Medina de Rioseco, I think Villalón de Campos and Sahagún are the only towns with ATMs.

Will I finally see storks??

Yes, you will.

I have seen storks year round in Spain. I had heard that many have stopped migrating for the winter because of climate change, online sources seem to confirm that.

...and on the ground sources (i.e.: I) too.

Information Telephone: City of Wamba: 983.56.33.17 Visiting hours: To visit contact the hall Friday from 17:00 to 19 : 30 hours. Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 10:00 to 13:30 and 17:00 to 19:30. Free visit.

The web of the town council provides a different phone and says the schedule you quoted is from May to October. The rest of the year you (just) can visit it on Sundays after mass (at 13:30, they say). See: www.wamba.ayuntamientosdevalladolid.es/?q=node/179
www.elrincondesele.com/osario-wamba-valladolid, an article about the ossuary of the church published on April 2015, quotes a different phone and schedule...

Oh my goodness!! What great information from you all!! Thanks so much for the info on storks, dogs, and ATMs (the detail by KinkyOne and Castillian is incredible)! Since, in addition to the spiritual journey, I love the cross-cultural things as well - supermarket vans, special bars with special people, churches and how to access them, and maybe even "slightly gruesome ossuaries"!

Yes, by all means (as the OP) everyone is welcome to use this string to post your Camino de Madrid dates - that would be wonderful if they were all in one place. Don't know that I will organize like DeadFred's great monthly schedules for the Frances however! :)

Annie, I will be in touch via Pvt Conv.

Buen Camino, everyone!
Terry

I will also be walking the Madrid in April. Leaving the 18th, with Annie. (I know, I'm lucky!) Hope to see you along the way.
Claud

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The web of the town council provides a different phone and says the schedule you quoted is from May to October. The rest of the year you (just) can visit it on Sundays after mass (at 13:30, they say). See: www.wamba.ayuntamientosdevalladolid.es/?q=node/179
www.elrincondesele.com/osario-wamba-valladolid, an article about the ossuary of the church published on April 2015, quotes a different phone and schedule...

A note on the door (May 2015) gave much the same schedule, and the same phone number, as the osario-wamba-valladolid article. It also advised donativo of €1.50. The church is closed on Mondays - which was unfortunately the day on which I passed through. Still, I had a delightful hour or so browsing around outside and enjoying the lovely square adjacent

Based on the response to this thread, it looks like a quiet Madrid this April.

Joe

Okay folks, as threatened above, I just made my travel reservations for my Camino de Madrid this April. I will arrive a Madrid on Tuesday 5 April. Also, I made hotel reservations for two nights at the Hotel Gran Atlanta on Comandante Zorita #34. My plan is to leave Madrid on foot on 7 April.

I intentionally booked at this hotel as it is on the way out of the city, up the Paseo de la Castellana. The nearest metro station is Nuevos Ministerios. Line 8 direct from the airport ends here. There is a HUGE el Corte Ingles here as well, for last minute gear needs, like in case I packed for the wrong weather...it happens. It is a very convenient location. There are also several Mail Boxes etc. shops in the neighborhood. I find these more convenient than the Correos for shipping stuff ahead to Ivar at Santiago. I always ship stuff to Ivar...:eek:

Okay, if any one wants to tag along, now you know where and when I will be starting.:p Alternatively, you can avoid me as easily.:(

My thought is to drop my gear at the hotel coming in from the airport on the 5th. I will get my credencial "started" at the Iglesia Santiago y San Juan Bautista, probably the day before I start walking. I use the extra day to adjust to the time zone, coming from Florida, it is a six-hour difference. I need to get my digestive tract inline as well.

So, there it is...and it is what it is. See you there, or not.

Santiago or bust!:)
Ultreia!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Okay folks, as threatened above, I just made my travel reservations for my Camino de Madrid this April. I will arrive a Madrid on Tuesday 5 April. Also, I made hotel reservations for two nights at the Hotel Gran Atlanta on Comandante Zorita #34. My plan is to leave Madrid on foot on 7 April.

I intentionally booked at this hotel as it is on the way out of the city, up the Paseo de la Castellana. The nearest metro station is Nuevos Ministerios. Line 8 direct from the airport ends here. There is a HUGE el Corte Ingles here as well, for last minute gear needs,like in case I packed for the wrong weather...it happens. It is a very convenient location. There are also several Mail Boxes etc. shops in the neighborhood. I find these more convenient than the Correos for shipping stuff ahead to Ivar at Santiago. I always ship stuff to Ivar...:eek:

Okay, if any one wants to tag along, now you know where and when I will be starting.:p Alternatively, you can avoid me as easily.:(

My thought is to drop my gear at the hotel coming in from the airport on the 5th. I will get my credencial "started" at the Iglesia Santiago y San Juan Bautista, probably the day before I start walking. I use the extra day to adjust to the time zone, coming from Florida, it is a six-hour difference. I need to get my digestive tract inline as well.

So, there it is...and it is what it is. See you there, or not.

Santiago or bust!:)
Ultreia!
Great plan. I actually love that area around Nuevos Ministerios, you can find lots of little family-run places, some good restaurants, and if you stay off the main drags, you will be surprised at how residential and non-prefab the area is.

If you find yourself with time to spare, and if you like impressionist paintings, your hotel is about a half hour walk from one of my absolute favorite places in Madrid, the Museo de Sorolla. Sorolla is Spain's preeminent impressionist painter, and the museum is in his house and it is wonderful. The joy and the light in his paintings will convince you that all is not lost, despite all the signs to the contrary. http://museosorolla.mcu.es/index.html
Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks for the museum tips. I love the Reina Sofia and the Prado, as well as the Thyssen. I will put this on my "to do" list. I will make the time.

How do you recommend making my way out of town? I am not fond of industrial estates and dreary suburbs.

Is it legitimate to skip to Tres Cantos, or to Colemar el Viejo or even as far as Manzanares el Real, and how is it best done?

I do not want to miss any of the "authentic" Camino route, but I also do not want to "squander time" walking soulless portions. Actually, I do have plenty of time. I am just trying to fine tune my planning for maximum enjoyment. Am I making sense here?

I have the CSJ Guide as well as the several excellent recommendations I scrounged here in the forum. If I recall correctly, one of them was produced by you. It has been long since cut and pasted into my planning worksheet.

Any additional recommendations are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the museum tips. I love the Reina Sofia and the Prado, as well as the Thyssen. I will put this on my "to do" list. I will make the time.

How do you recommend making my way out of town? I am not fond of industrial estates and dreary suburbs.

Is it legitimate to skip to Tres Cantos, or to Colemar el Viejo or even as far as Manzanares el Real, and how is it best done?

I do not want to miss any of the "authentic" Camino route, but I also do not want to "squander time" walking soulless portions. Actually, I do have plenty of time. I am just trying to fine tune my planning for maximum enjoyment. Am I making sense here?

I have the CSJ Guide as well as the several excellent recommendations I scrounged here in the forum. If I recall correctly, one of them was produced by you. It has been long since cut and pasted into my planning worksheet.

I'm sure you won't miss anything spectacular if you skip first 10 or so kms to Fuencarral (metro line 8). Soon after that you'll be on AG paths and the view back to Quatro Torres of Madrid is amazing. If you go to Tres Cantos or further on with bus/cercanias etc. you'll miss that. From Fuencarral to Tres Cantos is "only" 10-12kms, ideal for the first day of walking. And after Fuencarral no more suburbs except for Segovia and Sahagun ;)
It's a beautiful Camino especially if you don't want to walk on tarmac and you love open spaces..., ahhhhh....... :D

Enjoy!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Though Kinky is right that you wouldn't miss anything spectacular by hopping ahead, one of the things that is pretty amazing about the Camino de Madrid is that you don't leave Madrid through any industrial estates or dreary suburbs. First arrow is at the Plaza de Castilla outside the Rodilla sandwich shop. You walk straight on for a while, then the arrows turn off the Castellana, go past a big hospital, maybe alongside one factory, and bam you are in the country. I'm sure my memory of this isn't perfect but I do remember thinking it was one of the most painless city exits on any camino I've walked. But if you want to get out to Tres Cantos or beyond you can use the Cercanias RENFE trains (the commuter line), which has a stop at Nuevos Ministerios. Look for the RENFE sign before you go down in the maze of underground passageways at the stop, though, it's an enormous transfer station.

Buen camino, Laurie
(And p.s., I don't think any of this route is "authentic" in any historical sense, it was marked by the Camino amigos group and their driver was finding off-road paths, which is probaby why this camino has less asphalt than any other I've walked. It follows a lot of the royally decreed transhumance paths for getting animals from north to south and vice versa, at least that's what I've been told).

I'll most likely be starting in the last week of April, but I still have to sort out my plane ticket (and one for my wife, who'll be travelling to Madrid with me to see me off).

I'm sure you won't miss anything spectacular if you skip first 10 or so kms to Fuencarral (metro line 8). Soon after that you'll be on AG paths and the view back to Quatro Torres of Madrid is amazing. If you go to Tres Cantos or further on with bus/cercanias etc. you'll miss that. From Fuencarral to Tres Cantos is "only" 10-12kms, ideal for the first day of walking. And after Fuencarral no more suburbs except for Segovia and Sahagun ;)
It's a beautiful Camino especially if you don't want to walk on tarmac and you love open spaces..., ahhhhh....... :D

Enjoy!!!

Kinky, you can see the Towers of Madrid for many many more stages... we kept looking, and seemed like we saw them forever. We started at Tres Cantos and I loved it. I'll start there again in May.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm glad we're all staggering our walking days. Some of those albergues only have a few beds! lol!

Well, I will NOT be hospitalera at San Anton. After chatting with Rebecca and my specialist about it, I came to the sad realization it would be too impossible to control my environment. With this darned MCS, there are times I have to get out of the space immediately if there is a perfume or chemical that is harmful. Bummer. I was so excited. :(

Soooo, I'm back to what to do the last 2 weeks.
I've decided to visit Granada, Cordoba, and Toledo for 4 days each.

Pong and I still plan on starting to walk the Madrid on the 18th from Tres Cantos.

I arrive on April 14 and we don't start "walking" until the 18th.
I may walk these first few stages on my own and just train back each night.
Is that possible, Laurie? Do they stop near trains?

I arrive on April 14 and we don't start "walking" until the 18th.
I may walk these first few stages on my own and just train back each night.
Is that possible, Laurie? Do they stop near trains?

Hi, Annie,
Take a look at these gps tracks. http://www.mapacaminosantiago.es/caminosantiagomadrid/01-madrid-colmenar-viejo.htm

If you zoom in enough, you can see the metro stop Fuencarral, and all the Cercanías stops (the little backwards C with a red background). You can also see what I mean about not having to deal with any big industrial mess and how quick the transition to country is.

I believe that the last stop on this line of the Cercanías is Colmenar.

Hi, Annie,
Take a look at these gps tracks. http://www.mapacaminosantiago.es/caminosantiagomadrid/01-madrid-colmenar-viejo.htm

If you zoom in enough, you can see the metro stop Fuencarral, and all the Cercanías stops (the little backwards C with a red background). You can also see what I mean about not having to deal with any big industrial mess and how quick the transition to country is.

Thanks! This is great!
Looks like I could walk to Golosco the first day, then train there Day 2 and walk to Tres Cantos (oops)
Thanks Laurie!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Laurie, Kinky:

THANK YOU! The new plan will be decided based on weather and local conditions when I arrive.

Exit Plan A is to walk as Laurie recommends. Exit Plan B is to take Metro Line 8 to Fuencarral and hoof it from there. Exit Plan C is to roll over, go back to sleep and try it another day...;)

Hi, Annie,

Laurie:

If I am reading this map link correctly, it starts at the Church not the Plaza de Castillo?

Joe

Last edited:
Okay, so if I am leaving from the airport, other than a taxi, what would be the best way to get to the Cathedral of Santiago?

If it opens at ten, I should be able to pick up my credential, get a blessing and be on my way to make Tres Cantos by evening.

Does that sound reasonable?

Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Okay, so if I am leaving from the airport, other than a taxi, what would be the best way to get to the Cathedral of Santiago?

If it opens at ten, I should be able to pick up my credential, get a blessing and be on my way to make Tres Cantos by evening.

Does that sound reasonable?

Joe

Sure, if the priest has had his breakfast! lol!
We had to wait for him when we were there.
You can catch a bus into town from the airport.

Laurie:

If I am reading this map link correctly, it starts at the Cathedral not the Plaza de Castillo?

Joe

There is no arrow till the Plaza de Castilla. But I walked from the church of Santiago (not the Cathedral), and I think credenciales are available at both places.

Sure, if the priest has had his breakfast! lol!
We had to wait for him when we were there.
You can catch a bus into town from the airport.

Annie, I take it you went to the Church of Santiago, too? My experience was similar, I had to wait, actually it wasn't till after a late morning mass that he was available. He was very nice and very helpful, but I think the posted hours you may see on websites are rather theoretical.

Walking from the Church through old Madrid down to the Plaza de Cibeles and then up the Castellana all the way to the Plaza de Castilla would be my preferred walking route, but I'll take a look and see what those gps tracks show.

Madrid to Tres Cantos is 23 km according to Johnnie's guide in the Resources, beginning at the church or Cathedral (they are very close to each other), so even with a late start you should be ok.

There is a screenshot map here on the forum showing you how to get to the church of Santiago from Puerta del Sol, I think. I think that's probably the best choice -- take Cercanías to Puerta del Sol and then weave through old Madrid to find it. I'll see if I can track it down and post a link here.

Buen camino, Laurie

Here are walking directions from Sol to the Church:

Screenshot 2016-02-03 15.27.36.png

You can actually see the cathedral in this screen shot, too, it's to the left and down from the church. It's Catedral de la Almudena, probably my least favorite cathedral in Spain, but I'm sure it's a fine place to pick up a credential.

Here are walking directions from Sol to the Church:

View attachment 23812

You can actually see the cathedral in this screen shot, too, it's to the left and down from the church. It's Catedral de la Almudena, probably my least favorite cathedral in Spain, but I'm sure it's a fine place to pick up a credential.

Laurie:

Thanks for the map. Looks like a short walk. If my plane is on time, I should have no problem getting to the church by ten. As I am looking at the Cercanias map, it appears the train to Puerta de Sol is the Purple line? Am I reading that right? My familiarity with Cercanias trains is from Chamartin to the airport. No chance of catching wrong train. Upon arrival, I have always taken cabs to Chamartin and Atocha due to close connections and arrival at T1.

Joe

Actually, I do have plenty of time.

In that case, if you miss some city-life along the route, you could consider to make the detour to Valladolid.

That's right. In addition, I'd say that Cercedilla is the last stop on another Cercanías line out of Madrid and that you can bus back (with frequent buses) from towns like Manzanares el Real or Navacerrada that aren't served by trains.

Cercanías from Terminal 4 to Sol (changing Cercanías trains in Chamartín) plus a short walk or
Línea Exprés Aeropuerto (bus) from the airport (stops at T1, T2 and T4) to Plaza de Cibeles (no changes required) plus a longer walk.

BTW, taxi would be 30 Euros (fixed rate), if they didn't change it this year.

You can actually see the cathedral in this screen shot, too

One of the Cathedrals because Madrid has two of them: the Catedral de La Almudena (that you quote) and the Iglesia Catedral de las Fuerzas Armadas (www.arzobispadocastrense.com/arzo/iglesia-catedral-de-las-fas.html).

It's Catedral de la Almudena, probably my least favorite cathedral in Spain,

Time to discover the other cathedral that I quoted above?

Last edited by a moderator:
Laurie:

Thanks for the map. Looks like a short walk. If my plane is on time, I should have no problem getting to the church by ten. As I am looking at the Cercanias map, it appears the train to Puerta de Sol is the Purple line? Am I reading that right? My familiarity with Cercanias trains is from Chamartin to the airport. No chance of catching wrong train. Upon arrival, I have always taken cabs to Chamartin and Atocha due to close connections and arrival at T1.

Joe

Only the metro has colored lines, so maybe you are not be looking at the Cercanías map. C-1 is the only Cercanías line that goes to the airport, and then you have to change in Chamartín. From Chamartín, 3, 4A and 4B go to Sol. Total trip time is around 30 minutes, including the transfer. It all runs very smoothly, and you will see scrolling signs announcing which track to go to.

You can see the schedule on the RENFE site: http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html

Only the metro has colored lines, so maybe you are not be looking at the Cercanías map.

He may be looking at the Cercanías map (www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/planos/madrid.html) because it shows too the lines colored although, once on the ground, forget about colours and have clear what's the number of the line you have to take.

it appears the train to Puerta de Sol is the Purple line?

Sol is served by the purple line (C-3) and the dark blue line (C-4).

My familiarity with Cercanias trains is from Chamartin to the airport. No chance of catching wrong train.

Even less chance if you depart from the airport because there's just one Cercanías line out of the airport (line C-1) so don't worry. OTOH out of Chamartín there are several Cercanías lines and you have to pay attention to the line you have to take to get to Sol -as I said above either the C-3 line or the C-4 line- and you have also to be sure you are taking the train in the right direction; i.e.: look on the screens not only for the number of line you have to take but also for its destination (if going from Chamartín to Sol, look for line C-3 to Aranjuez or line C-4 to Parla). Note: line C-4 may be showed on the screens as C-4a or C-4b, heading south from Chamartín to Sol, don't worry, both of them are fine for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Laurie:

If I am reading this map link correctly, it starts at the Cathedral not the Plaza de Castillo?

Joe

Joe, the map on that link takes a route from the church to the first arrow at Plaza de Castilla that is a little different than what I would do. The first part of the marked walk is very nice, across old Madrid, on the long Calle San Bernardo to the roundabout Quevedo. It then continues on Bravo Murillo all the way to the Plaza Castilla. If I were walking it, I would turn right at Quevedo, onto Eloy Gonzalo, which turns into Martínez Campos (and passed my favorite little Sorolla museum), and then turn left (north) onto the Castellana Boulevard. That will take you all the way up to the Plaza de Castilla, but it's much prettier, shadier, and takes you past the Bernabeu stadium where Real Madrid plays, which might be a destination for some people.

Only the metro has colored lines, so maybe you are not be looking at the Cercanías map. C-1 is the only Cercanías line that goes to the airport, and then you have to change in Chamartín. From Chamartín, 3, 4A and 4B go to Sol. Total trip time is around 30 minutes, including the transfer. It all runs very smoothly, and you will see scrolling signs announcing which track to go to.

You can see the schedule on the RENFE site: http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html

Laurie:

So I take the C-1 to Chamartin and then pick up another train to Sol. Does this require another ticket? Going upstairs to check train schedules? From that point it looks as if C-3 and C-4 both go to Sol.

Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Laurie:

So I take the C-1 to Chamartin and then pick up another train to Sol. Does this require another ticket? Going upstairs to check train schedules? From that point it looks as if C-3 and C-4 both go to Sol.

Joe

One ticket, and there are signs down on the tracks that scroll down through the destinations of the arrival train, and there are always announcements. I don't think you have to change tracks, I think all Cercanías trains run on the same two tracks through Chamartín, but my memory is not 100% on that. In any event, I know it's easy to find a train to Sol.

OMGoodness! I may just start walking from Iglesia Santiago rather than metro to Plaza de Castilla! Laurie, you make it sound wonderful - walking out of Madrid!! Thanks so much for the narrative guide and the map!

I have a very mundane question - apologies in advance -- I'm an old lady (argh) and have arthritis, and my hands do NOT like washing clothes. Will there be any places with laundry facilities along the Madrid? I can probably convince the hands they need to help, but ... :( On the other hand (so to speak), I might not be using trekking poles much, so maybe the exercise of washing will be good for them.

Also, will there be snow on the mountains in mid-April? And do I see a Cercanías stop on the other side of the pass - at Puerto Navacerrada? - where does it come from and where does it go? ---just in case....
Thanks mucho!!
Terry

Wow, it's fun reading all these posts about starting off on the CdM. It stands out in my mind as the most memorable 15 days ever. Make sure you have a sufficient amount of water each day, twice as much as the CF, I found. Buen Camino!

I'll most likely be starting in the last week of April, but I still have to sort out my plane ticket (and one for my wife, who'll be travelling to Madrid with me to see me off).

If you are there when I am, feel free to contact me. If you want to start out together on the 7th, send me a PM (start a conversation) and I will share my SMS, iPhone and email with you). We van connect in Madrid.

Maybe I can practice my Nederlands on you...:eek:

Ik spreek een beetje Nederland, maar niet zo goed. Ik woonde in Vlaanderen, in de buurt van Antwerpen voor twee jaar, en hebben een jong "neefje" die wordt opgevoed spreekt Nederlands. Dus, moet must ...

Tom

will there be snow on the mountains in mid-April?

Judging from the winter we are having so far, it's unlikely that you'll find snow along the route.

And do I see a Cercanías stop on the other side of the pass - at Puerto Navacerrada? - where does it come from and where does it go?

Yes, there's a Cercanías stop at the Puerto de Navacerrada (Navacerrada Mountain Pass; not to be confused with Navacerrada town). But the Camino de Madrid doesn't cross the Puerto de Navacerrada but the Puerto de la Fuenfría so I don't think it'll be useful for you.

Regarding the route of the line that stops at the Puerto de Navacerrada, it's the C-9 line (aka the Zona Verde -Green Area- ) that links the Puerto de Cotos (Cotos Pass) with Cercedilla. That line use metre gauge tracks while the rest of the Cercanías network uses Iberian gauge tracks.

OMGoodness! I may just start walking from Iglesia Santiago rather than metro to Plaza de Castilla! Laurie, you make it sound wonderful - walking out of Madrid!! Thanks so much for the narrative guide and the map!

I have a very mundane question - apologies in advance -- I'm an old lady (argh) and have arthritis, and my hands do NOT like washing clothes. Will there be any places with laundry facilities along the Madrid? I can probably convince the hands they need to help, but ... :( On the other hand (so to speak), I might not be using trekking poles much, so maybe the exercise of washing will be good for them.

Also, will there be snow on the mountains in mid-April? And do I see a Cercanías stop on the other side of the pass - at Puerto Navacerrada? - where does it come from and where does it go? ---just in case....
Thanks mucho!!
Terry

Terry, what date are you starting your walk?

There are no washing machines along the Camino Madrid that I remember.
We did all of our wash by hand.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think there's a washing machine in the albergue in Castromonte. At least if my memory is right. Or maybe it was a dishwasher.
Memory still serves you, Laurie ;)
I went through my photos and there is a shiny silver washing machine in the kitchen of Castromonte albergue. I don't remember WM in any other albergue, but in Puente Duero, Villalon and Santervas albergues there might be because there are hospitaleros all the time present.

Attachments

• 0450-Albergue municipal (Castromonte, 03.07.14).jpg
    0450-Albergue municipal (Castromonte, 03.07.14).jpg
    193 KB · Views: 5
In Segovia, there's a self service laundry. Look at their web: http://lavanderiasegovia.com for info about fares.

If you don't bother to make a detour to Valladolid from Puente Duero, there are also self service laundries in Valladolid. If you want/need to make the detour, urban bus line number 15 goes from Puente Duero to Valladolid every hour. On return, be sure the bus goes to Puente Duero because some buses of bus line number 15 end their route in (El) Pinar (i.e.: before arriving to Puente Duero) so check the bus route showed on the bus says Puente Duero as arriving point and not Pinar. For more info: www.auvasa.es/lineas.asp?lin=15

Thanks for all this laundry info!! I have more than enough info to get the job done, and still rest the hands occasionally!! I love the photo of the washing machine posted by KinkyOne!!
But the Camino de Madrid doesn't cross the Puerto de Navacerrada but the Puerto de la Fuenfría so I don't think it'll be useful for you.
And thanks for sorting me out here - I read Puerto de la Fuenfria, but it didn't quite stick! :oops:

I got this from the Villa Castora Youth Hostel in Cercedilla.
Thought someone might need it.
They said we can only reserve rooms one month in advance.

Attachments

• Folleto del Albergue.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
I got this from the Villa Castora Youth Hostel in Cercedilla.
Thought someone might need it.
They said we can only reserve rooms one month in advance.

I stayed here when I walked the Madrid and it was quite a fine place. I wouldn't eat here unless you have to, but the accommodations are fine. They told me they saved several double rooms for pilgrims, and I was walking with two guys, so I had a room all to myself. Clean sheets, private bath, what's not to like? There was a big group of kids and it added a lot of joie de vivre to the place. It's right on the Camino, a km uphill from town, so it gives you a good start on the long slog the next day to Segovia.

I stayed here when I walked the Madrid and it was quite a fine place. I wouldn't eat here unless you have to, but the accommodations are fine. They told me they saved several double rooms for pilgrims, and I was walking with two guys, so I had a room all to myself. Clean sheets, private bath, what's not to like? There was a big group of kids and it added a lot of joie de vivre to the place. It's right on the Camino, a km uphill from town, so it gives you a good start on the long slog the next day to Segovia.
Do you remember what they charged pilgrims? It is up past the town, right?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Will there be any places with laundry facilities along the Madrid?

I have had great success when staying at small hotels (of which there are several along this way) by simply asking the owner (who is often also the receptionist) very nicely if she can put some stuff in the washing machine for me. I usually offer €5 for this, and more often than not, they've refused to accept any money at all. Your Spanish skills may vary...

If you are there when I am, feel free to contact me. If you want to start out together on the 7th, send me a PM (start a conversation) and I will share my SMS, iPhone and email with you). We van connect in Madrid.

Maybe I can practice my Nederlands on you...:eek:

Ik spreek een beetje Nederland, maar niet zo goed. Ik woonde in Vlaanderen, in de buurt van Antwerpen voor twee jaar, en hebben een jong "neefje" die wordt opgevoed spreekt Nederlands. Dus, moet must ...

Tom

Hi Tom, sounds like fun to hear the dulcet tones of Flemish over the Meseta (a few years ago I was in Mesa Verde in the American Southwest with a friend from Limburg, who was on the phone with his parents talking in his local dialect -- something which I'm sure had never been heard there before). But I can't get away until after 20 April, so I'll probably start walking around 24-25 April at the earliest.

I quite understand. Enjoy your Camino. I wish you fair weather and gentle breezes...from the East.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do you remember what they charged pilgrims? It is up past the town, right?

Annie, since my memory couldn't answer your question, I searched around a bit for info on prices. Here's the official site with prices listed: http://www.madrid.org/cs/Satellite?...doFinalMenuIzquierdo&rootpageid=1152517028736

I THINK they give pilgrims the youth price, which looks like 14 for bed and breakfast. If not, it's 18. We started out before they opened their cafeteria, so they left us a bag with some basic stuff like juice and a pastry inside (another day I was very happy to have my electric coil, though there may have been coffee machines there).

As far as location -- Follow the camino up out of town, past the pension Longinos (you will turn right at an intersection to start the ascent -- to the left is the train station, and the pension will be on your right as you ascend).

We straightened out some of the confusion about youth hostels in Cercedilla last year on the forum, because it turns out Kinky (I think) and I stayed at different youth hostels. The one that seems most pilgrim-friendly is the first one you will pass (which is the Villa Castora). It is on your left right on the camino, about a 15 minute uphill walk from the pension. If you continue further on, you will see another one off to the right side, back in the woods a bit. I don't know anything about that one, except that it's another youth hostel.

If the weather is nice, the grounds around the hostel are very nice and would be a good place for a picnic supper.

Annie, since my memory couldn't answer your question, I searched around a bit for info on prices. Here's the official site with prices listed: http://www.madrid.org/cs/Satellite?cid=1142322437488&language=es&menuIzquierdo=true&pagename=PortalJoven/Page/JUVE_contenidoFinalMenuIzquierdo&rootpageid=1152517028736

I THINK they give pilgrims the youth price, which looks like 14 for bed and breakfast. If not, it's 18. We started out before they opened their cafeteria, so they left us a bag with some basic stuff like juice and a pastry inside (another day I was very happy to have my electric coil, though there may have been coffee machines there).

If the weather is nice, the grounds around the hostel are very nice and would be a good place for a picnic supper.

Ok. Thanks.
I do have reservations at Aribel, and I've stayed there before.
It was fine and only €25.

The hostel won't allow reservations until a month before and my walking partner is in charge of that.
I just was a bit confused about the pricing on the brochure (and the website). It looked like it was over €35, and I'm working from a budget.

The hostel would be a better place to stay as far as the day's walking goes.
For me, this is a particularly long stage because of the hill, and it seems to take forever to get to Valsain!
I may just stay at Aribel, then take a taxi next morning up to the entrance of the park.
That would shave off a few kilometers.

I'm really getting excited!

We will play it by ear.
Thanks Laurie.

Annie, my reading of the Albergue pamphlet shows 38 € as the full board price. Bed & breakfast looks to be 18€, that's for the above 30 years crowd. If peregrinas get the juvenil rate, then it looks like 14€ for B&B. I just e-mailed you on it. Of course, my Spanish reading skills leave extensive room for error!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ok. Thanks.
I do have reservations at Aribel, and I've stayed there before.
It was fine and only €25.

The hostel won't allow reservations until a month before and my walking partner is in charge of that.
I just was a bit confused about the pricing on the brochure (and the website). It looked like it was over €35, and I'm working from a budget.

The hostel would be a better place to stay as far as the day's walking goes.
For me, this is a particularly long stage because of the hill, and it seems to take forever to get to Valsain!
I may just stay at Aribel, then take a taxi next morning up to the entrance of the park.
That would shave off a few kilometers.

I'm really getting excited!

We will play it by ear.
Thanks Laurie.
Annie, it's much nicer (although tougher) uphill walk from Cercedilla than gently downhill on the tarmac road to Valsain. You'll see when you come out from the forest to a large empty space with tarmac road going left and right (and Camino to Segovia straight across it) that you should turn right for the Valsain. Nothing much really to see on that stretch. Try to hitchhike there if needed. Or simply call the hostal/pension proprietor to pick you up? It would be very easy to explain where you are at that point.

Ultreia!

Annie, it's much nicer (although tougher) uphill walk from Cercedilla than gently downhill on the tarmac road to Valsain. You'll see when you come out from the forest to a large empty space with tarmac road going left and right (and Camino to Segovia straight across it) that you should turn right for the Valsain. Nothing much really to see on that stretch. Try to hitchhike there if needed. Or simply call the hostal/pension proprietor to pick you up? It would be very easy to explain where you are at that point.

Ultreia!

Yes, I walked it two years ago.
We are staying in the Parador at Ildefonso de Granjal! YAY!
But I doubt even at their prices they'd pick me up! lol!
We'll walk . We'll be ok.

Buen Camino!
Terry
Hi Terry
My husband and I are walking this route starting May 10(ish)
We are from New Zealand

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen Camino!
Terry

Hi, I will be walking Camino de Madrid starting April 6. I have been thinking who else will be walking this route at that time. I am not rushing, I want to take it slow as well:) I plan to walk for two weeks. My Spanish is not very good, will it be a big problem while looking for a place to stay overnight??

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, I will be walking Camino de Madrid starting April 6. I have been thinking who else will be walking this route at that time. I am not rushing, I want to take it slow as well:) I plan to walk for two weeks. My Spanish is not very good, will it be a big problem while looking for a place to stay overnight??
Hi Kerti, Welcome to the Forum! Other people who have walked the Madrid will be able to give you better answers, but I've found Camino Lingo (e-version) has helped me a lot on the Frances - where many locals seem to have a unique way of communicating with pilgrims with limited (or no) Spanish. I've picked up some Spanish, but am not sure how useful it will be on the Madrid :( But I DO know with languages, where there's a will and a sense of humor there's a way. And learning all the polite terms helps.
Buen Camino!!
Terry

Hola, Kerti!

I walked CdM in 2014 and I was in Spain for the third time then. Probably picked up enough Spanish to get along quite OK. If you know just a few general phrases or even words that will be enough I'd say. Usually people know that you're a pilgrim (with backpack, poles etc.) and what you need, like you won't ask them how to repair your washing machine ;)
And simple "hola" or "buenas dias" (buenas tardes for afternoons) along with smile makes miracles sometimes! You'll be just OK :)

Ultreia!

Kerti:

If you can wait one more day before starting, you are welcome to walk with me. I arrive at Madrid on 5 April and plan to leave on 7 April. Start a private conversation and we can coordinate. Alternatively, I wish you a buen Camino. We may meet along the route.

Last edited:
Hi, it is so good to hear that we will be walking at the same period:) As I have only two weeks to walk, I would rather start as early as possible but as I do not plan to rush then most possibly we will meet on the route! I am thinking of taking the train out of town to Tres Cantos because I prefer to walk in the nature...
What to do with the stuff I do not want to carry? Is it possible to leave it to Madrid- train station locker? I plan to get to Sahagun and next time continue from there to Santiago..
I will keep in touch, because it is my first time on the camino and lots of things are new. I am following this forum and up to now it has been very helpful.

Hi, it is so good to hear that we will be walking at the same period:) As I have only two weeks to walk, I would rather start as early as possible but as I do not plan to rush then most possibly we will meet on the route! I am thinking of taking the train out of town to Tres Cantos because I prefer to walk in the nature...
What to do with the stuff I do not want to carry? Is it possible to leave it to Madrid- train station locker? I plan to get to Sahagun and next time continue from there to Santiago..
I will keep in touch, because it is my first time on the camino and lots of things are new. I am following this forum and up to now it has been very helpful.
Hi, Kerti, You do not say which station you are referring to, but Chamartin has a "consigna", which is the Spanish term for left luggage and I'm sure Atocha does as well. Charge ranges from 3-5 euros a day.

Don't discount the walk out of Madrid too quickly -- the train is easy, but so is starting at the Plaza Castilla. Within 5 or 6 kms you are totally out of the city. I think of all the caminos I have walked, this is the quickest and least industrial city exit I have walked. You can see it if you zoom in on the GPS map http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=11751509. Once you walk under the M-40 highway, bingo, there is no development.

Whichever way you choose to start, Buen camino! Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Leaving one month from today to walk the Camino de Madrid! Will try to meet up with Anniesantiago in Madrid for a beverage or two on the 17th. Will try to get documents from the Iglesia Santiago, and then start walking thru Madrid as suggested by Laurie! After re-reading this thread, I'm getting very excited! SO looking forward to seeing storks, red poppies, and all the gems of the Madrid!! I mentioned in an earlier post that I have problems doing laundry by hand, and have just purchased a Scrubba Washbag - after reading about it in another thread - thanks to Kanga!!
I hope to see some of you somewhere between Madrid and Santiago! Buen Camino!
Terry

1 Month 4 days to go before I fly out. Landing the 27th, starting out the 28th of April. I most likely won't be seeing any of the other April walkers, thus Buen Camino to all!

Enjoy!!!
Owww I'm so excited we fly in from NZ in May. Start walking 10th may, am tempted to miss the first few km and start at fuencarral. We will still be adjusting to the time change, so thinking it will be kinder on our bodies the first day.. Thanks everyone for great info

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back