• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Whoops, I Did it Again...

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
Little musical allusion there (please keep that song out of my head).

I have purchased my next ticket to Europe to do more walking, this time on the Le Puy route! I'll try to get to Santiago de Compostela again too, of course, but have booked about three weeks.

I'll fly into Paris--I've never been there!--and then I'll fly out of Madrid. Cool, right? That way, I'll be able to see the Eiffel Tower and a few important things around Paris. Nothing is in stone. If I fall in love with Paris, well, I may stay there for three or four nights.

Then, I'll make my way to a good place to begin the Le Puy route. I think that will give me an interesting new experience!

Buen Camino---

Deb

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Deb,
Glad to learn that you soon will be visiting Paris! Hopefully it will be warmer then than it is today!
For more many tips/links re Paris and the camino do check out this recent post.

Happy planning and Bon voyage!
Thanks so very much! I value your great knowledge and experience, and am delighted with your help.

Deb

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I like the way you roll!

I'm doing a similar trip: VdlP for a month or so, then on to Paris--my mom's never been there, so I will meet her and have a gawk. But first, to an ashram in the Bahamas. My Camino is a tad circuitous

Buen Camino!

Whoops... you did it again!
But at the end...
"You're not that innocent!"
;)
*How come I still remember this?!? :eek:*

Nice plans ahead! You'll love Paris. And Le Puy. And the Camino, of course! :)
Bon Chemin!

full

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I have purchased my next ticket to Europe to do more walking, this time on the Le Puy route! I'll try to get to Santiago de Compostela again too, of course, but have booked about three weeks.

I'll fly into Paris--I've never been there!--and then I'll fly out of Madrid. Cool, right? That way, I'll be able to see the Eiffel Tower and a few important things around Paris. Nothing is in stone. If I fall in love with Paris, well, I may stay there for three or four nights.

Then, I'll make my way to a good place to begin the Le Puy route. I think that will give me an interesting new experience!

Buen Camino---

Deb
Hi Deb,

I've spent a couple of months in Paris recently, one month each on two trips over a couple of years. I love it. I love just walking around but this year my feet were very sore after my CF, went out every day anyway. I've never done the most popular, iconic stuff - too crowded. Seeing The Eiffel Tower can take a big chunk out of a short stay (not if you walk up the stairs to the first "floor" first thing in the morning). It's elitist and expensive and crowded with too many pesky tourists and it's pretty grubby. But it's Paris. No matter how long you stay, you'll go back. I went for a week the first time and the day I left I was already on my way back.

Maybe you know the story of the German general who was in charge of Paris towards the end of WW2. (They made a big movie called "Is Paris Burning?") His orders were to reduce it to ashes and rubble if things started to go bad. As the allies got close, General Dietrich von Choltitz delayed setting off all the rigged explosives. He couldn't do it.

I'll send some info about how to get the best out of a short stay. Check out how to get a weekly subway ticket (runs out Sunday night). Some train stations to be avoided Friday and Saturday nights. Etc.

There's a bunch of Paris pics on my website miketrebert.com

Buen camino, - Mike

That is great, Deb. I love, love, love Paris - and Madrid! The Le Puy route is also wonderful. Enjoy!

Hi Deb,

I've spent a couple of months in Paris recently, one month each on two trips over a couple of years. I love it. I love just walking around but this year my feet were very sore after my CF, went out every day anyway. I've never done the most popular, iconic stuff - too crowded. Seeing The Eiffel Tower can take a big chunk out of a short stay (not if you walk up the stairs to the first "floor" first thing in the morning). It's elitist and expensive and crowded with too many pesky tourists and it's pretty grubby. But it's Paris. No matter how long you stay, you'll go back. I went for a week the first time and the day I left I was already on my way back.

Maybe you know the story of the German general who was in charge of Paris towards the end of WW2. (They made a big movie called "Is Paris Burning?") His orders were to reduce it to ashes and rubble if things started to go bad. As the allies got close, General Dietrich von Choltitz delayed setting off all the rigged explosives. He couldn't do it.

I'll send some info about how to get the best out of a short stay. Check out how to get a weekly subway ticket (runs out Sunday night). Some train stations to be avoided Friday and Saturday nights. Etc.

There's a bunch of Paris pics on my website miketrebert.com

Buen camino, - Mike

You are too kind! I am more confident I will be able to get around Paris, having successfully maneuvered my way all over London and Scotland!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am more confident I will be able to get around Paris, having successfully maneuvered my way all over London and Scotland!
Not to mention Northern Spain. More than once.:cool:

I hope you will forgive me, Deb...but today I find myself channeling Dr. Seuss:
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose."
Oh, the places you'll go!!!
:DBon Chemin and Buen Camino!

Not to mention Northern Spain. More than once.:cool:

I hope you will forgive me, Deb...but today I find myself channeling Dr. Seuss:
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose."
Oh, the places you'll go!!!
:DBon Chemin and Buen Camino!

All day I have felt more positive, more excited, and feel like things are "business as usual".

In 2014 I began this planning--this decision to do something big and adventurous and just a little daunting. I know that I can't do everything that I used to be able to do, but this I can do. And I have a great community of good friends here who are right there to offer up great advice and encouragement. It's like a big fat YES to have a plan to travel, a reason to keep going, a research task, a one-more-time around the planet somewhere.

When I was in my 30's, I travelled all over SE Asia--as you know. But I let my husband (the ex) do a lot of the planning. I researched as we went, but I left the hard stuff to him. Not anymore! I get to own it now.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Buen Camino---

Deb
Congrats, Deb. Always good to have a booked flight to look forward to! What time of year are you going? You may already know this, but the LePuy route to St. Jean is very crowded in May and booking at least a day ahead seems to be required. I walked from LePuy years ago in late May and there were lots of French walkers who walk for a couple of weeks. It is more of a GR in France than a camino, IMO. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it does mean you get a lot more people who just plop down with a two week plan and then pick up the next year where they let off. Buen camino, Laurie

Congrats, Deb. Always good to have a booked flight to look forward to! What time of year are you going? You may already know this, but the LePuy route to St. Jean is very crowded in May and booking at least a day ahead seems to be required. I walked from LePuy years ago in late May and there were lots of French walkers who walk for a couple of weeks. It is more of a GR in France than a camino, IMO. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it does mean you get a lot more people who just plop down with a two week plan and then pick up the next year where they let off. Buen camino, Laurie

GR? I know now what you speak!

Yes, I am throwing around some ideas. I like ending up in SdC but I will only walk about 17 days. Observing how LONG it takes to get from Le Puy to SJPP (I don't have a month) I'm not sure of what to do. I am still rolling around ideas.

I did not like the patchwork I put together for myself last Spring, but I don't need another certificate---or do I?

All options are open.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buttinski me. Apologies. Have a wonderful trip.
Lol, you misunderstood.

I mean--THANKS so much, and I LIKE your help, as I get nervous going to places I've never been, although (pat on the back to me), I survived my Britain trip a few months back without getting run over, lol!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh! I loved the LePuy to SDC and I left mid-May but did not find it all that crowded as mentioned above. I did find it more challenging than the CF but so lovely! By the time I got to Cahors, I felt like I was in shape again. Some mighty long climbs and a few very steep ones - but beautiful! Buen Camino

Oh! I loved the LePuy to SDC and I left mid-May but did not find it all that crowded as mentioned above. I did find it more challenging than the CF but so lovely! By the time I got to Cahors, I felt like I was in shape again. Some mighty long climbs and a few very steep ones - but beautiful! Buen Camino
I may have JUST ENOUGH time to make it to Cahors...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Lol, you misunderstood.

I mean--THANKS so much, and I LIKE your help, as I get nervous going to places I've never been, although (pat on the back to me), I survived my Britain trip a few months back without getting run over, lol!
Don't mind me, I'm often tone deaf. Sounds as though you might be still finalising your schedule so maybe not sure how long in Paris. I could suggest a couple of ways to see a lot in even a day. The trick might be not wasting valuable time. I'll watch this thread and when your schedule is set a bit more solidly I'll post again.

I saw an article in The Guardian today about the ancient cave art in France. Pech-Merle and Cognac in the Cahors region were mentioned. (edit: That article was from 2015. Don't know how I ended up there - https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...5/apr/15/chauvet-cave-art-replica-is-nonsense)

I envy you walking in southern France. Sounds intoxicating. We stayed in a little village near Nimes a few years ago.

So I guess it's "Bon" Camino to you, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Bravo! Go with God! And make another good video, OK? I really like your old ones!

I'm still intoxicated with the Frances. I'm going back in May, with my youngest son, who'll accompany me from SJPP to Logrono. (I want someone with me crossing the mountains, in case I fall down and break something! I'll carry on from Logrono w/o him....)

Fr. Jeffrey

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back