• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

WHOOT! WHOOT! Bought my ticket!

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I bought my ticket today for April 15.
My friend and I will start walking the Madrid route on April 18.
After I reach Sahagun, I'll walk the Frances with my group.
Then, I'm doing a slow Camino trip from Sarria to Santiago or maybe I'll pop over and walk another section of the VDLP. My return flight is June 15. Two months in Spain should satisfy this longing! :p

:::happy dance:::

I'm always so nervous until my ticket is booked.:eek:

I got a really great price from Portland to Madrid for $820 - but it has a very LONG layover in Dallas.
I booked a Minute Suite for 8 hours, and even with that, the price for the ticket was less than on any other site I could find. So I'm happy. I like breaking up the trip in a few stages.

Ok.. it's real.. I'm going to walk the Madrid again and finish it this time ... YAY!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well done Annie, what a great feeling. I am visiting Seville for s couple of days right now (not on Camino) but have seen a few yellow arrows and am carrying my backpack - I will have to try not to follow the arrows in the morning.
Buen camino for 2016

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Congratulations, Annie! I've enjoyed your posts as I've been reading these forums and planning my first Camino. I bought my ticket today, too, also for April 15th, from Montreal to Paris. After years of thinking "I may do this", I'm actually doing it....I've allowed 2 months for walking the Frances, which will allow time to explore. Hope to meet you at some point!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Anniesantiago--WEll done! and your ticket price is amazing. That's a return ticket, right? Wow! How did you get such a low price?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Enjoy every step and every stop of your caminos.

As he's starting in Huesca, I would choose a jota (but I would just sing letting dancing for other more skilled for it). For example, the jota de San Lorenzo. www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-JaNKwh1iI

P.S.: San Lorenzo is the Saint Patron of Huesca.
Oh, my, maybe I could do the legs thing but castanetas - that's too much :D

Oh, my, maybe I could do the legs thing but castanetas - that's too much

That's better than me. ;) For me both dancing and castañuelas are too much... even on the Jota de San Lorenzo that isn't a specially difficult one among the Aragonese dancing jotas (or so it seems to me)...

That's better than me. ;) For me both dancing and castañuelas are too much... even on the Jota de San Lorenzo that isn't a specially difficult one among the Aragonese Jotas...
tOh, is that "castañuelas"??? From castañes? Sound made with their shells?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
See you in the airport, then - I think that's the day we're flying to Madrid, too. (We're taking the train to Valladolid to continue from Valdesillas to Sahagun, and then maybe one of the Inglés routes.)

is that "castañuelas"??? From castañes? Sound made with their shells?

Castañuelas is, maybe, the most used term for them and the preferred one by the RAE but castañetas, the term that you used, is also an accepted term by the RAE. Both of terms (castañuelas and castañetas) are diminutives of the term castañas -castaña in singular-). It's not fully clear why the name is a diminutive of castaña but an extended theory is that it's due to the similarity between the form of the castañuelas and the form of a castaña.

P.S.: There are several names for the castañuelas. One that doesn't start by "castañ" (and that can be difficult to identify if context doesn't make it fully clear and you don't know the term beforehand) is palillos, a term used for them in part of Andalucía (and accepted by the RAE too as a regionalism).

Castañuelas is, maybe, the most used term for them and the preferred one by the RAE but castañetas, the term that you used, is also an accepted term by the RAE. Both of terms (castañuelas and castañetas) are diminutives of the term castañas -castaña in singular-). It's not fully clear why the name is a diminutive of castaña but an extended theory is that it's due to the similarity between the form of the castañuelas and the form of a castaña.

P.S.: There are several names for the castañuelas. One that doesn't start by "castañ" (and that can be difficult to identify if context doesn't make it fully clear and you don't know the term beforehand) is palillos, a term used for them in part of Andalucía (and accepted by the RAE too as a regionalism).
Ohh, so it's not about the sound and rather about the form. Thanks for that Castilian. Informative and helpfull as always!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Annie - are you flying in and out of Madrid? Or do you return from another city?

Also what airline did you get your ticket from? That is a great price.
Michele

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I too have finally completed my reservations. I guess a happy dance is in order as well.
I will begin in Huesca late in May and hope to make it to Santiago by early in July, as long as the feet and legs are willing.

Hi, Don, (and Annie, please excuse this off-thread derailment of your happy news) -- are you walking from Huesca to Santa Cilia on the Camino Catalan or going somewhere else from Huesca? And then where to? I remember you weren't really thrilled with the Aragones, so I'm wondering if there are other options out there for you. So fun to see people with their 2016 plans firming up, mine are still in the tentative stage. :(

Anniesantiago--WEll done! and your ticket price is amazing. That's a return ticket, right? Wow! How did you get such a low price?
Cheap Fare Guru.com

Annie - are you flying in and out of Madrid? Or do you return from another city?

Also what airline did you get your ticket from? That is a great price.
Michele

In and out of Madrid. I bought the ticket on CheapFareGuru.com.
You have to REALLY watch the connections.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Don, (and Annie, please excuse this off-thread derailment of your happy news) -- are you walking from Huesca to Santa Cilia on the Camino Catalan or going somewhere else from Huesca? And then where to? I remember you weren't really thrilled with the Aragones, so I'm wondering if there are other options out there for you. So fun to see people with their 2016 plans firming up, mine are still in the tentative stage. :(
No, no, I loved the Aragones but I ran out of money because there are long distances between ATM and my poor planning left me out of cash in Artieda so I bailed out to take a bus to Pamplona. What I learned was with the limited facilities almost every place to stay is demi-pension so the daily costs are a bit higher than CF.
I want to go to San Juan de Pena this year, that will probably be by taxi from Huesca and then start walking from there to Santa Cilia. I am planning on walking the north side of the lake this year to spend a night at the monastery in Leyre and then head on to Puenta la Reina. The construction work on the lake was quite a distraction in 2015 and I am unsure which villages will be under water in 2016.

... to spend a night at the monastery in Leyre and then head on to Puenta la Reina. ...

The monks used to have a very small (2 places) albergue for pilgrims. It was quite the insider tip, you had to go to the monastery door, not the hotel, and ask specifically for the Brother Hospitalero. I wonder if that albergue still exists? Buen Camino, SY

The monks used to have a very small (2 places) albergue for pilgrims. It was quite the insider tip, you had to go to the monastery door, not the hotel, and ask specifically for the Brother Hospitalero. I wonder if that albergue still exists? Buen Camino, SY
I opted to go upscale and reserved a room at the hotel.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I bought my ticket today for April 15.
My friend and I will start walking the Madrid route on April 18.
After I reach Sahagun, I'll walk the Frances with my group.
Then, I'm doing a slow Camino trip from Sarria to Santiago or maybe I'll pop over and walk another section of the VDLP. My return flight is June 15. Two months in Spain should satisfy this longing! :p

:::happy dance:::

I'm always so nervous until my ticket is booked.:eek:

I got a really great price from Portland to Madrid for $820 - but it has a very LONG layover in Dallas.
I booked a Minute Suite for 8 hours, and even with that, the price for the ticket was less than on any other site I could find. So I'm happy. I like breaking up the trip in a few stages.

Ok.. it's real.. I'm going to walk the Madrid again and finish it this time ... YAY!

Annie, SO excited for you! Now you know that we'll be in Spain (on one Camino or another) and wouldn't it be fabulous to meet up during the May/June part!? We got our RT's for $704pp. We'll see what happens! :::fingers crossed:::

Annie, SO excited for you! Now you know that we'll be in Spain (on one Camino or another) and wouldn't it be fabulous to meet up during the May/June part!? We got our RT's for $704pp. We'll see what happens! :::fingers crossed:::

Of course! Hey, maybe we can FaceTime or Skype later today... when do you arrive in Madrid?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh boy. You have lots of time now to whip yourself up into a frenzy of expectation. The Madrid walk was brilliant earlier this year in May. No problems at all except sore feet and snoring. When/ If I did it again, I'd try to slow down a bit, take in more of the sites, have a few more rest days. The hostels were brilliant by and large and everyone was fabulous. Enjoy the build up!

Attachments

• first_arrow.jpg
    first_arrow.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 5
  • bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 5
  • outside_madrid.jpg
    outside_madrid.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 6
  • sheep.jpg
    sheep.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 5
  • sleep.jpg
    sleep.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 5
  • truly_on_the_way.jpg
    truly_on_the_way.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back