• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why are we walking the camino?

K

karenfromcali

Something happened today, of my own doing, that left me feeling sad and unmotivated. I realized half way through the morning that I was pondering cancelling my camino, this pilgrimage that had meant so much and that I was now considering of lesser importance. The reasons I believed I was walking seemed real enough. Had I simply watched a good movie that caused me to dream of an escape from life? I don't think so. But there is something in my spirit that is searching. So as I went about my errands I began to ponder my reasons for walking. But as I pondered, I realized..i don't have to have a 'reason' to walk this camino. It is simply a journey I want to take! Life will not always go according to plan, but it is still our life to live. No one can live it for us. And so I will be walking, following yellow arrows on the way! I also keep editing this post! lol. Just trying to explain a little better I guess :)

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sorry to hear you´ve lost your motivation. Who knows perhaps you may find it again. If not , you´ll find something else for sure. The important thing is you walked your Camino , you did it as you wanted. You had your reasons to do it. There ´s no obligation to walk it over and over again. Some walk it many a time others once.
I wish you lots of luck on your future plans and I do hope all comes out good for you.:)

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sorry to hear you´ve lost your motivation. Who knows perhaps you may find it again. If not , you´ll find something else for sure. The important thing is you walked your Camino , you did it as you wanted. You had your reasons to do it. There ´s no obligation to walk it over and over again. Some walk it many a time others once.
I wish you lots of luck on your future plans and I do hope all comes out good for you.:)

Buen Camino!
Hi MendiWalker. This is actually my first camino. But in realizing I don't need a reason to walk gave me the strength to do it...so I just booked my flight, and I am thrilled :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would really like to encourage anyone who is in the thinking/planning 'maybe one day' stage, to do this. I really think we are 'called' to the camino. We may have a reason or maybe not.You may be thinking you have NO CLUE why you want to do this. But it really doesn't matter. Friends may laugh, family may mock. But you just know you have to do it. So do it!

Glad you have it sorted out Karenfromcali, as has been said on this forum before " the heart has its reason which reason knows nothing " Pascal Pascal.
Your Camino will give you your reasons i'm pretty sure Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Glad you have it sorted out Karenfromcali, as has been said on this forum before " the heart has its reason which reason knows nothing " Pascal Pascal.
Your Camino will give you your reasons i'm pretty sure Buen Camino!

Yes. I think so too.

It is such a grand step: that first one. At this point it is not given to you to understand the entirety of what you are undertaking. You now just need to put one foot in front of the other and keep on following the camino's call until the end. It is then that you will comprehend, in full, the whole mystery of the camino, and of YOUR camino. It will unfold (as it does) to you, and change you forever.

Just a thought or two about not overthinking.....

Everything you need and everything you need to know is already inside of you. There is nothing particularly special about the Camino, except for the way it seems to prompt many to hear - learn to listen to? - that inner voice. But the voice exists without the Camino. You might discover it in a walk around your neighborhood block, working in your garden, sitting in traffic..... or maybe never, no guarantees. The Camino is just a (potential) catalyst. Put aside expectations, and just walk.

Halfway through my second Camino, I had a crisis of mind and spirit. I realized that I didn't actually have to pay all that money, fly across the ocean, and endure all that daily foot pain in order to "find myself" or to experience life profoundly. I just sat there at the Cruz de Ferro feeling utterly dejected and alone and blistered inside and out, thinking..... yeah, wherever you go, there you are.

That's what I learned anyway, and yes, I realize it's a bit of a paradox.
And yeah, I'm going back anyway, and taking my guy with me. :D
Why? Not really sure yet. Maybe I'll figure it out when I get there. Maybe not.

We're all just fools on the path.
(And I don't mean "fool" in a derogatory way - I mean it in the way of the mystic fool - maybe you'll recognize a peregrino in this description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fool_(Tarot_card)#Symbolism )
tarot-le-mat-the-fool.jpg

ultreia, e suseia,
Adrienne

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Many insightful reflections in the replies above. I have genuinly appreciated reading them all. For me it will be time alone - for me, the longest I have ever or may ever have again. The physical challenge and the absence of the usual clamour around me from my usual life will be an experience to treasure. I spend my life doing things for others...This walk will be for me.

When I start - I will have no expectations...

I think that is true for many of us. The need to sometimes be alone. There are often so many demands upon out time, family, friends, work. There is constant background noise of tv, radio ,phone, traffic etc, sometimes there is no time to hear ourselves think. What Caplen said in one of the posts about finding our camino anywhere is true but I think this camino gives us time to slow down, have time to think, and not be interrupted!

walking the Camino will give you the gift of quiet - time to think and reflect - something most of us cannot do at home. There are just too many distractions and interruptions. On a Camino you are a single individual in the midst of thousands walking your way into your inner being.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Why the Camino, why this journey?- I did it to say thanks for a life well lived and for my grandchildren and for my faith and for what I found out about myself and for the people I met. What a blessed world we live in. The time out for me enabled me to think about where I am heading, why I want to head there and about how the world around me has been helping me all this time and that I had not recognized this until I walked. I stepped out of my busy world to have time to think it all through and to give thanks and praise for it all.
It's not everyones cup of tea, but it's mine. (Although it has turned me into an avid coffee drinker.)
I'd love to share this journey with my loved ones including the grandchildren. However I recognize that they need to make their own decisions and journeys with or without me.

Something happened today, of my own doing, that left me feeling sad and unmotivated. I realized half way through the morning that I was pondering cancelling my camino, this pilgrimage that had meant so much and that I was now considering of lesser importance. The reasons I believed I was walking seemed real enough. Had I simply watched a good movie that caused me to dream of an escape from life? I don't think so. But there is something in my spirit that is searching. So as I went about my errands I began to ponder my reasons for walking. But as I pondered, I realized..i don't have to have a 'reason' to walk this camino. It is simply a journey I want to take! Life will not always go according to plan, but it is still our life to live. No one can live it for us. And so I will be walking, following yellow arrows on the way! I also keep editing this post! lol. Just trying to explain a little better I guess :)
Hallo Karen,greetings from South Africa - I also walked a part of the camino sept 2012 - sjdpdp to burgos - but I want to tell you this: " when you became part of the Camino,the Camino became part of you" - understand how you feel,maybe you are trying to hard - but be assure,the Camino is you now - whenever you see something of the Camino,being in a paper,magazine or where ever,you will stop and read it - Buen Camino - Johann Pretorius - my email address is:kogga@webmail.co.za,if you want to drop me a line.

My enthusiasm ebbs and flows . I read the blogs and see the Pilgrims struggling with blisters, pains and rain and think why do I want to spend two years worth of vacation to travel 1/2 way round the world to punsih my body. Makes NO sense. But the " I want to spend "part of that sentence is the key holder to the reason . So I think a while on it and come up with "sure beats lying on a beach somewhere" .. and that sentence makes NO sense either .

I have come up with a bunch of "reasons" while I'm going ., to celelabrate this! or that! , or its a calling! or whatever , but really?? Maybe I will be able to tell you after I walked it why I walked the Camino. I'll get back to you . In the meantime ..

KICKASS! karenfromcali

Joe

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had read about the camino – and kind of half-heartedly put it on a mental list about things it might be interesting to do, but then kind of put it on the back-burner.

After my retirement, one of my sons one day said to me: "Mom, the content of your daily life cannot be your daily trip to the supermarket and back!!"

So I upped and went – elderly, not fit – and with no expectations and ready to abort at any time and to just carry on with a normal holiday in Spain if I could not cope. – But I did continue all the way from Roncesvalles to Astorga – not a walk in the park. Thinking back, I did not start out as a pilgrim but I ended as one.

Still hoping to go back, but a few health problems have now caught up with me – hopefully not insuperable.

annelise

Last edited:

My husband and I walked our Camino in May, from Ponferrada to Santiago. We had good times, bad times, very bad times. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. Walking, who'd a thunk it! A great feat and one I told myself I would not do again. It wasn't until we got back home and I had a chance to digest everything that happened to us, to me. The Camino is in my blood now. I think about it constantly. I would do it again in a heartbeat and have plans to return in the year of my 65th birthday. Four more years to go. Believe me it will fly by. Until then I look at my maps and books and read everyones comments from this wonderful site. Dream and plan. I pray you have a glorious walk. Via con Dios and Buen Camino.

Its true. The Camino is also the opportunity to reflect on our place in the world and our relationships. Such relections rarely occur in the routine of our daily lives.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hallo Karen,greetings from South Africa - I also walked a part of the camino sept 2012 - sjdpdp to burgos - but I want to tell you this: " when you became part of the Camino,the Camino became part of you" - understand how you feel,maybe you are trying to hard - but be assure,the Camino is you now - whenever you see something of the Camino,being in a paper,magazine or where ever,you will stop and read it - Buen Camino - Johann Pretorius - my email address is:kogga@webmail.co.za,if you want to drop me a line.

Thanks for the encouragement..and it's true, I can't pass up anything camino!! I will save your email :)

After my retirement, one of my sons one day said to me: "Mom, the content of your daily life cannot be your daily trip to the supermarket and back!!"

I LOVE that your son came up with this!! What a great guy! So glad to hear you went and hope time flies until you are able to again. And your right..this forum is the best :)
Buen Camino for 2017!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Its true. The Camino is also the opportunity to reflect on our place in the world and our relationships. Such relections rarely occur in the routine of our daily lives.

You're right...we are usually to busy. Or perhaps it's not the time to delve in too deep!!

We have been home from the Camino about a month now - we swore that we would not be like everyone else on the Forum - being addicted to the Camino - yet it has happened.
We continue to process our experience and so often it comes back stronger than ever. My wife finally admitted today that "maybe she could walk it again" - I said that about a week
ago and she frowned. Don't know if we will do again - going to Italy in another week - Poland next July - other commitments - but if we do the Camino again - we will be better
prepared mentally now that we know the realities having made the errors we did. That being said I have to ask myself why I keep dreaming about Spain and the Camino and why
am I up at 5:00am on the Forum :)
Buen Camino

..i don't have to have a 'reason' to walk this camino. It is simply a journey I want to take!

Thanks for posting this, Karen - I'm going to be reminding myself of what you said here when I have those days, of which I am sure there will be many before I set off next September! When I think about my reasons for doing this I don't often come up with anything coherent or logical - so maybe I'll just stop trying!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Your quote is great:
... Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

Yes, He will.

Thanks for posting this, Karen - I'm going to be reminding myself of what you said here when I have those days, of which I am sure there will be many before I set off next September! When I think about my reasons for doing this I don't often come up with anything coherent or logical - so maybe I'll just stop trying!

There is just a pull somehow isn't there? No logical explanation.
Buen Camino :)

Your quote is great:
... Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

Yes, He will.

It's one of my favorite scriptures. I keep it with me to remind me constantly as I really do forget all the time and let my concerns and fears take over!
But yes, you are right. He will. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am walking the Camino to fully experience the physical and mental challenge, to observe and reflect on my role in thee journey, to open my mind to thoughts and ideas, in a context that is uncontaminated by anything I have previously experienced. To be open to the experience, without fear of failure or rejection, without expectations, but also to to accept and not be disappointed if the experience is not as expected. Being prepared with all of the right gear is not enough. It is being prepared for the unexpected and unknown challenges.

Being prepared with all of the right gear is not enough. It is being prepared for the unexpected and unknown challenges.

True -- but being prepared for the possibility that the whole thing might seem ordinary and as expected is equally recommendable.

The Camino will always be exactly what it is, and whether some might experience it as a very long walk and not much else, whilst others might experience it in powerfully mystical terms, or any and every shade of possibility between these extremes changes nothing about the fact that the only truly important thing is to make it on foot to Santiago.

Karen you made the choice, the first step of a 1000 mile journey is under your feet. You will not regret it, in April 2013 walking into Burgos in snow showers I thought I was crazy, but by 18 September I was on camino again and 18 days later walked into Santiago, now can't wait for sparing and camino Norte, Buen camino

I am walking the Camino to fully experience the physical and mental challenge, to observe and reflect on my role in thee journey, to open my mind to thoughts and ideas, in a context that is uncontaminated by anything I have previously experienced. To be open to the experience, without fear of failure or rejection, without expectations, but also to to accept and not be disappointed if the experience is not as expected. Being prepared with all of the right gear is not enough. It is being prepared for the unexpected and unknown challenges.

Great post Mark. Very insightful and a good way to approach the experience! Trying to do the same, albeit not very successfully. lol.

Karen you made the choice, the first step of a 1000 mile journey is under your feet. You will not regret it, in April 2013 walking into Burgos in snow showers I thought I was crazy, but by 18 September I was on camino again and 18 days later walked into Santiago, now can't wait for sparing and camino Norte, Buen camino

Karen, I am a camino junkie, since may 2000 I have walked across Pyrenees 7 times, it's only 2 hour flight from Dublin to Biarritz so can be on camino 24 hours after leaving home, solitude, I can walk for days without talking to a soul , I sometimes help people to cross Pyrenees , and a day in Pamplona worth, bull run and vino, I could write about camino for hours, you are in for a life changing challenge , my next camino , the Norte in spring and Lourdes to sjpdep 2014

The Camino is a Call! A call from your inner part and we are lucky to hear it .
Just arrived from another 7 days walk from León to Sarria, no words to be said only my own experiences .
And it won't be the last time , , right now my legs and body are in pain but the soul , the spirit, is meditating in the good moments.
Buen Camino to all of you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Shortly after talking with someone from my community about his Camino, I knew I would walk. There was no question in my mind, no conflict and seven months later I flew into Madrid and two days later I was walking. The questions( why the hell am I doing this?) and conflicts(!why the hell am I doing this?) would come later .
Putting one foot in front of the other,breathing and keeping my hear open was the way for me.
Because there was little or no planning, it was all accepted ,all new to me. Nothing but surprises and awarenesses. Mind,body and heart working together.

I did first part of the Camino (from SJPP to Burgos) and returned home two weeks ago. Until I got on a plane at SFO, it didn't feel real, but once I was at SJPP and hiking over the Pyrenees all my other worldly concerns just fell away. It was a short walk, but I feel my life has fundamentally changed somehow. I couldn't tell you how it is changed, but I think I see the priority differently on the clutter of life in modern busy and material world. I am glad to have this piece of Camino with me, and I hope it survives the 'reality' until I can continue the Camino. So, Karenfromcali, just jump in and go for it.

I met someone in May who had walked the Camino. He just casually mentioned it. It was like a fire was lit in my soul. They call it the voice of St. James who speaks to pilgrims. Funny how my St. James Voice sounds just like my friend John. ;) I researched it. I knew I would do it. After 13 years of taking care of my elderly mother, I am now able to do things for me. My mother recently passed away so it is time to see who I am. Back in the 60s and 70s they called it Finding Yourself. Well, my Camino is sort of the start of my new life. Like I am walking towards my future. I can't walk the whole thing. Do not have the time from work to do that. But I can walk from Leon to Santiago. I am so excited and scared and nervous.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
To find ourselves in the quiet of an uncluttered life for several weeks. To search for long lost spirituality. To reflect on ones loses. Try and understand them. To reconnect...To hope for reconnection. On the Camino...
To find out who I am is what I am aiming for. At least to figure out what I want to be now that I am not longer a full time caregiver.

It took me a while to figure out what I was doing there. I recall writing in my journal after the climb up to O Cebreiro something along the lines of "time passes even when you do nothing" and I guess that was the point I found my reason.

I went to run away from all the crap at home in my life, at this point I think I started running back towards it.

There is plenty of time to figure out why you're there when you are actually there. If you don't go then you'll never work out what it was that was pulling at you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
To find ourselves in the quiet of an uncluttered life for several weeks. To search for long lost spirituality. To reflect on ones loses. Try and understand them. To reconnect...To hope for reconnection. On the Camino...

Mark.
Life can be difficult and unpredictable and not as straight forward as we would like it to be. But I can't think of anywhere better that I would wish to ponder and reflect than the camino. I see in your posts that you are planning to walk alone and that is indeed a personal decision that only you can make. But I pray that you will take the time to meet and talk with others, that you will reconnect, and that ultimately you will find what you are searching for.

Beautiful and the right words ! Breathing and one foot after another, that was my feeling and need no more, to be fulfill at that moment. ........
Shortly after talking with someone from my community about his Camino, I knew I would walk. There was no question in my mind, no conflict and seven months later I flew into Madrid and two days later I was walking. The questions( why the hell am I doing this?) and conflicts(!why the hell am I doing this?) would come later .
Putting one foot in front of the other,breathing and keeping my hear open was the way for me.
Because there was little or no planning, it was all accepted ,all new to me. Nothing but surprises and awarenesses. Mind,body and heart working together.

e="Rosemary Lyons, post: 167567, member: 30105"]Shortly after talking with someone from my community about his Camino, I knew I would walk. There was no question in my mind, no conflict and seven months later I flew into Madrid and two days later I was walking. The questions( why the hell am I doing this?) and conflicts(!why the hell am I doing this?) would come later .
Because there was little or no planning, it was all accepted ,all new to me. Nothing but surprises and awarenesses. Mind,body and heart working together.[/quote]
Beati

I have lost the opportunity to share an important part of my camino walk with a friend whom I was supposed to meet. I had initially set out to walk the camino alone, and will still do so. But I feel I have lost an important part of the experience.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have lost the opportunity to share an important part of my camino walk with a friend whom I was supposed to meet. I had initially set out to walk the camino alone, and will still do so. But I feel I have lost an important part of the experience.
Maybe this is meant to be and is a positive thing.
I walked for 5 days with a friend of mine in September . We had a massive falling out, and ended walking separately. We parted so badly. This is one of my dearest, longest standing friends, who I love dearly!!
We are tentatively building bridges now, but it will take time....
So,this really could be " good thing" ! :)
Buen camino, Helen

Maybe this is meant to be and is a positive thing.
I walked for 5 days with a friend of mine in September . We had a massive falling out, and ended walking separately. We parted so badly. This is one of my dearest, longest standing friends, who I love dearly!!
We are tentatively building bridges now, but it will take time....
So,this really could be " good thing" ! :)
Buen camino, Helen

Helen.
Trying very hard to see it as a good thing. Necessary. It is such an awful feeling to part so suddenly, so badly. Struggling terribly but know I will get through it. I sincerely hope with all my heart that you are able to restore your friendship with your own friend. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. It was very kind of you. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back