• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why are you walking? Please comment below!

For what reasons have you walked the Camino de Santiago?

• Total voters

Amcovlin

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Hi! I’m a high school student from Oregon taking an IB World Religions class and as the topic for my Internal Assessment I’m comparing the reasons why pilgrims walk the Camino now vs when it first became popular in the 9th century. I’m having trouble finding information regarding the percentages of people who walk it for religious reasons, exercise, etc, so I figured why not just ask the people myself! So if you have a minute, can you please comment below with your reason for walking and share this with other pilgrims. Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m comparing the reasons why pilgrims walk the Camino now vs when it first became popular in the 9th century.

If you discover any good sources of statistical information concerning the motives of individual pilgrims in the 9th century please let us all know. I for one would be fascinated to read it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi! I’m a high school student from Oregon taking an IB World Religions class and as the topic for my Internal Assessment I’m comparing the reasons why pilgrims walk the Camino now vs when it first became popular in the 9th century. I’m having trouble finding information regarding the percentages of people who walk it for religious reasons, exercise, etc, so I figured why not just ask the people myself! So if you have a minute, can you please comment below with your reason for walking and share this with other pilgrims. Thank you!

This is the website of the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago.

Good luck with your project.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Excellent subject in which to do youre studies!! A wise head on young shoulders !!
I wish you well and success on youre studies and project

I wish you all the best in your research. Maybe it will inspire you at some stage to walk yourself, but meantime you have already got some useful links for the statistics you are looking for. I will look forward to a look at your finished work, don’t forget to let us know how it goes.
edit: I selected other because while I walk as pilgrim, there is much more to walking a camino, in my case it is not only for religious reasons.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Walking is good for my personal health.
It‘s a perfect cardio training for my heart.

A fellow pilgrim mentioned ... “Pilgrimage is balm for body, mind and soul“.

There‘s nothing to add.

Of the 7 provided options I could have selected 4 of them.........

Check this link. I think it's the best you'll find.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good luck with your studies!
I checked several boxes including 'Other'.
I haven't checked 'religious' because as a doubting protestant I struggle with venerating the possible earthly remains of a long-dead saint who in at least one firm was used as a rabble-rousing hero for religious persecution of those from another faith. However, I find myself in church and celebrating mass while on Camino far more frequently and willingly than at home! And despite myself, I still hug the Saint James statue in the cathedral in Santiago!
But I walk and cycle Caminos for the culture, 1 in terms of history and landscape but also 2 today's pilgrim culture of mutual support and encouragement and an acceptance of a degree of vulnerability in finding accommodation, food and company.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Huge thank you to everyone who participated in this survey! I ended up scoring very well and my teacher loved that I had so many primary sources. In my findings, I found that when the pilgrimage first emerged in the 9th century, the main motives behind the trek were to pay homage to Saint James or to receive an indulgence for their good work, both of which stem from religious reasons. Although many still walk the Camino for religious purposes today, especially during a Holy Year, I found that there is a huge spectrum of other reasons as well. When I first started my research, I didn’t understand how complex and life changing the Camino is. I assumed that there would be a simple answer behind everything, but that is clearly not the case. I found that motives often change during the walk and reasons can range from simply liking long walks to trying to redefine yourself. One user even commented that “walking the Camino is like jazz... if you have to ask why you will never get it.“ I think that perfectly sums up my experience. Walking the Camino is a beautiful experience and I‘m so grateful that you all were able to share your insight with me. I‘m definitely going to walk it myself when this whole Corona virus mess has died down. Thank you again for your input!

Thank you for your feedback, and congratulations on scoring well. Yes, when it is possible for all concerned, you will love walking your own camino.

I know I'm late, and I haven't been able to walk yet, but a major reason for me is reflection, taking time out from the world before I decide what direction my life will take in future.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back