• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poll Why are you walking the camino?

Why are you walking the camino?

• For spiritual or religious reasons

Votes: 60 46.2%
  • For a life-changing adventure/the challenge

Votes: 48 36.9%
  • Time out/tune more deeply into yourself

Votes: 66 50.8%
  • To do something together with family/friends

Votes: 20 15.4%
  • For ascetic reasons (that are not religious)

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • For the culture/history/nature

Votes: 57 43.8%
  • For the physical challenge

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • For the food and/or wine

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • To meet new people

Votes: 22 16.9%
  • For the Compostela

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hmm. The foot-note states "Multiple votes are allowed" but actually we are limited to 3 which isn't enough ;)
Yes, I limited to 3, I thought I could have answered most of them myself. It is more interesting to see the main reasons for all of us. :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If someone have a better text than "For ascetic reasons (that are not religious)" let me know.

What I mean is that it might be nice to live simple, just carry the few things you need, don't use so much money (even if you have) and so on, without the religious reason to do it.

Tongue in cheek, will any introverts fill in the survey? Actually, I am really enjoying the space that Davebugg has opened up on the topic of introverts on the camino. I did a MyersBriggs personality type indicator test 40 years ago. 50/50 extravert/introvert. However , it is not a life sentence. It is an invitation to open your eyes and see the world from the point of view of the other! It would be an interesting additional question, what is your score on the Myers Briggs?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How about "getting rid of stress" - which happens to be the major reason for quite a few walkers that I know of.
Yes, it was just possible to add 10. I think it can fit into "Time out/tune more deeply into yourself"

Tongue in cheek, will any introverts fill in the survey? Actually, I am really enjoying the space that Davebugg has opened up on the topic of introverts on the camino. I did a MyersBriggs personality type indicator test 40 years ago. 50/50 extravert/introvert. However , it is not a life sentence. It is an invitation to open your eyes and see the world from the point of view of the other! It would be an interesting additional question, what is your score on the Myers Briggs?
Yes, why not start a poll? I, myself did the test 20 years ago and I was ENFP. I was very much extrovert and I still nejoy being with people but have got more need of being alone since then. Or maybe the reason is that I know have a familiy around me most of the time so I value the time alone more.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just out of curiosity: Are you collecting material for a book/thesis or something or is it just personal interest?

No plans at all to write a book. I am just curious.

Fair enough. When thinking about how to answer the questionnaire I realised, that my answers would have been different if asked before my first camino. Just a little personal reflection :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can't vote because apart from 3 reasons family/ friends, ascetic and compostela they are all just applicable to me and if my partner decides to walk again, which I hope with all my heart then its just 2 reasons.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For me it’s a bit of soul searching, the physical challenge and to meet new people, heading out on the 1st April and have decided to give myself 8 weeks so I can go at a steady pace and take in lots along the way, can’t wait 😊

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am not sure any deep truth about the Camino will be revealed "survey monkey" style.
This because the Camino experience is very nuanced - so multifaceted.
If it really is "One man, one Camino" then the answers are like so many grains of sand.

Asking someone why they went on pilgrimage, doesn't reveal what they actually found.

Actually it is a Rolling Stones sort of thing.
People go to Saint Jean Pied a Port to get what they want.
They end up in Santiago de Compostela actually finding they get what they need.

The truths I found were not about what to know, but how to be.

€149,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Walking the Camino is like jazz...if you have to ask why you will never get it.

One pilgrim in this forum once wrote:
"I found my tribe"

Once started, I now cannot stop walking (another new ) camino....

€83,-
Although many do not think it the Camino is a christian walk. Not that all walkers are christians. The care and support that walkers help each other is a caring and christian way. But the essence of why people walk is in the fellowship that they have with other walkers whatever their beliefs.

I don’t think my reasons fit into a box, although I think they are widely shared. There is something so freeing to wake up every morning thinking “all I have to do today is walk, avoid physical injury, and maintain a level of cleanliness to not be a menace”. The fact that I do this while carrying everything I need on my back, adds to my feeling of freedom rather than weighing me down and that seems rather paradoxical. Finally I walk because I can, and keeping that fact in the forefront of my mind helps me maintain an attitude of gratitude.

Can I explain why I am walking the camino (again)?
No, I can't... 'es imposible' ... as F., a Spanish pilgrim on the Camino Aragones, said about explaining the 'magic' of a camino to a non-pilgrim...
So I have not voted.

But I have a link to another thread:

And another link to a video:

And two quotes I like:
"I keep walking, not to add years to my life, but to add life to my years" (Stivandrer, in this thread)
"Le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing."
Pascal, Les Pensées (quoted by mspath)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've just read this paragraph on a BBC History website. I am now wondering where that might fit into your list of reasons for walking a pilgrimage 🤔 I am also wondering if anyone is willing to confess that they have been walking more recently for similar reasons... :cool:
1578937102409.png

I wouldn’t dream of getting involved with the alleged activities of medieval monks however..... a contemporary pilgrim in Spain can drink to their heart’s content, gamble online through their smartphone and fornicate in the numerous, legal clubs and brothels along the Camino routes.
Not much change over 1000 years eh.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Really, we need a two fold questionaire:

What reason for walking the Camino the first time

&

Why do you keep walking Caminos

I read a book by an anthropologist (some years ago) in which he writes that we are hard-wired to seek out others like ourselves and that in our DNA we are built for the nomadic life.

My list of reasons would be too long.

One can learn a great deal about the magnetism of the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage simply by listening to the stories of those who walk it. I discovered four general categories of people who had been drawn to the Camino.

I always get asked this question. What did you find on your Camino?

I think this is the more revealing question. What were you in search of?

The first category was the adventures. They were people looking for an inexpensive travel diversion who liked making new friends, drinking wine with strangers and hooking up with other pilgrims, occasionally falling in love. The spiritual component of their pilgrimage was secondary to their search for adventure. The younger pilgrims seemed to make up most of this group.

The next category was the damaged. They were looking for healing. Some were recently divorced or widowed, some had lost a family member and others were dealing with sickness, addiction or depression. For them the Camino was a kind of reset button, a chance to do a rewind and start over, a chance for a rebirthing. These people were especially grateful for the kindness and empathy of others.

There was a group I call the “New Age Zen-Types” who were authentic in their spiritual search, but that search did not involve the Catholic Church. These were the people who were looking to be fully aware in the present moment – they were in pursuit of mindfulness. Their inner journeys were often a winnowing that peeled away ego, resentments, prejudice and attachment to material possessions.

The last category was the faithful. Usually Catholic, sometimes Christian, but the faithful included people from all faiths. All of these pilgrims believed in God, or at least the possibility of God intersecting with the arc of their lives. They all had a personal relationship with God; they spoke to him, prayed to him and humbly asked him for guidance. For most of the faithful, the Camino pilgrimage was a way to broaden and strengthen that personal relationship.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back