• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why biking

Julia

Hi,
i have to write a homework about el camino, about the reasons and the different ways of pilgrimage.
so I'd like to know why you decided to do the camino by bike. of course I'm also happy about everybody else who'd like to tell me something about his oder her personal reasons.

thank you
Julia

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Reason for doing the Camino by bike is because I love cycling and the available time only allows me to do a return trip by bike (walking the same stretch would take me at least 6 months). As with all my long distance trips I made so far I choose to start from home and return home using the same transportation: my trusty bike.

Why biking the Camino

We are going to bike the Camino Frances, beginning at the end of March, starting at SJPP. We live in the state of Queretaro, Mexico, in a small community (Tequisquiapan) where many people bike to and from work.

On the Camino, the bikes will allow us to cover the distance is less time than walking as well as give us the opportunity to take side trips. Of course, flat tires can be a problem. Another problem can be the steep grades, either uphill or downhill. We have been training since Christmas on a variety of routes, surfaces, and distances.

Hope this helps for your report. Steve

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
so I'd like to know why you decided to do the camino by bike. of course I'm also happy about everybody else who'd like to tell me something about his oder her personal reasons

Time constraints. I've walked and cycled a number of pilgrimage routes but currently whatever we do has to be fitted into a 2 week time spell. In that time you can either walk a shorter section or cycle a longer section.

On a well traveled route like the Camino Frances there is a comradeship among walking pilgrims that the passing cyclist misses out on to some extent. On less popular routes like the Via de la Plata or Via Francigena there are fewer pilgrims so the journey is more solitary whichever way you do it.

There are some long routes like the Via Francigena or a home to home journey like Super7's that would take so long to walk that you would need to be retired or between jobs to get enough time to complete.

This year we will be walking a short but beautiful section of the Via Francigena through Switzerland and into Italy, last year we cycled an interesting but flat section through England and France. There does not seem to be much diference to what you experience and both journeys are at a slow enough pace that you really see the country you are passing through (as long as you are not a speed cyclist sticking to the main road with your head down).

Buen Camino
William

Biking - circular trip

Having walked part of the way in 2006 we are planning a 2007 biking trip. The 2006 hike was very hard, carrying approx 12kg for 30-35km a day was a killer, also because it was a very hot summer. I have great respect for those who hike all the way. We loved the place and we have decided to take 2.5 weeks early October and go for a circular trip, starting from SJPP to Santiago-Finisterre on the French way but then coming back via the coast i.e. La Coruna-Santander-Bilbao etc
Yet to decide whether to drive to SJPP (13 hours) or risk it by taking a plane- last time I flew they smashed by gears.
Would anyone know if there is actually a bike shop in SJPP?

When I was in SJPP in 2004 I found a good bike shop next to the large supermarket (walking distance from the campingsite).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am cycling the Camino Frances (SJPP - Santiago) from 25th March to 15th April 2007.

I'll be on my trusty old mountain bike staying as much as I can on the pilgrim trail and not on the road. I'm particularly looking forward to cycling over the Pyrenees to Roncevalles - weather permitting.

I have fitted a bell and an old fashioned horn to warn walking pilgrims of my approach! I love walking and cycling and each has its pros and cons but cycling will allow me to travel the whole of the camino in the short amount of time that I have. I shall be camping as well as staying in refugeos, hostels and hotels.

One day, when I have more time I would like to walk The camino too.

Andrew, England.

I'm packing my bike into a bike bag to travel from Stanstead - Biarritz - SJPP. If there's any damage to the bike en route then that bike shop in SJPP might be very useful.

Andrew, England.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back