• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why Did / Will You Do the Camino?

stratophile

Everyone has different reasons for doing the Camino. What are yours?

Specifically:

1. If you aren't regularly a long-distance walker, what made you want to walk 800km now...?

2. How did you learn about the Camino de Santiago?

3. What prompted you to go from "Hmmm, sounds interesting" to actually *doing it*? (finding it interesting and actually doing it are two very, very different things! LOL)

4. If you've completed your Camino, did it live up to your expectations?

For me, I am a long-distance walker / cyclist - it is my passion. I learned about the Camino from some friends who did it with their church group. We were sharing adventures and they told me about their Camino. I was intrigued (I had heard of it before but the little I knew didn't actually sound all that interesting). The more I looked into it, the better it sounded (mainly thanks to this forum!).

As for what pushed me into actually doing it, that was easy. I was actively looking for somewhere to walk and had the time available, so it was just a matter of picking a date and going.

It definitely lived up to my overall expectations, though not always in the ways I originally expected. By that, I mean that the Camino was amazing and I absolutely loved it every bit as much as I had hoped (more, frankly) but the things that I enjoyed the most were different than what I had anticipated. For example, I was expecting the Camino to be more pretty than it was. Of course, it *is* very pretty in many places but overall it is just 'nice'.

On the other hand, I enjoyed the company of the other pilgrims I met along the way far more than I had expected. I'm used to 'trail friendships' that crop up when you meet others on a long-distance hike but usually they are very casual 'one day friendships'. That wasn't the case on the Camino. I met lots of great, really interesting people of all ages and backgrounds. And I've stayed in regular contact with an unusually large percentage of those people. That was a very pleasant surprise.

On the other other hand (yes, I have three hands...), the friendliness of the Spanish people did not surprise me at all. I've been to Spain many times (on business and for fun) and I've always liked the Spanish people - especially in smaller communities. They lived entirely up to expectations and I'm glad of that! :) You'd think the Spanish would be jaded by hundreds of years of pilgrims passing through and would be focused only on hustling them for money (especially given the tough economic times in Spain recently). And there *are* some locals who will cynically exploit pilgrims (where there are people...) but overall they are friendly and very welcoming. Most of those running businesses along the Camino (cafés, private albergues, etc.) are certainly looking to make a profit but they also seem to genuinely care about the pilgrims as well. That was very nice to see.

So, how about you?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1. I had never done anything like this in my life. I had a sense that I had never had any big adventures in my life - I know people who have been backpacking overseas or spent time living in another country and I had never done anything like that. I had always been a safe, predictable sort of person who tended not to do anything particularly adventurous, and I had reached a point where I felt I wanted to do something about that. I was fed up of giving in to my fears and placing artificial limitations on what I could achieve. I wanted to go somewhere and do something big, I wanted to challenge myself and take myself out of my comfort zone, and I wanted to prove to myself that I was capable of doing something like the Camino.

2. I studied medieval history at university. I wrote a postgraduate thesis on the First Crusade and, as part of that, I had to write about the practice of pilgrimage in Western Europe in the 11th century. This involved discussing the three great pilgrimage routes at the time, which were the routes to Jerusalem, Rome and Santiago de Compostela. Around the same time - this is more than ten years ago now - I found out that quite a few people still walked the pilgrim trail to Santiago. I thought, wow, that would be a cool thing to do someday. And then I filed the idea away in the back of mind.

3. In May 2013, I watched the movie The Way. I had been interested in seeing it since it dealt with modern day pilgrims on the Camino as its subject matter. As soon as the movie finished, I thought to myself: that looks fantastic. I could do that. How far is it? How long would it take? What would I need? And so I began to research it and to start getting an idea of what would be involved. The following month, I went to a Camino workshop here in Sydney run by a couple who have done the Camino multiple times, and that was a great starting point in terms of getting a sense of what it would be like and what I would need to take. I was also having a really rough time at work, a lot of upheaval, and I needed to have something to occupy me and look forward to. So, after 16 months of reading, training, making travel arrangements and buying gear, I finally began the Camino in St Jean on 21 September 2014.

4. The Camino exceeded my expectations. I had been reading this forum before I left and I had spoken to people here in Sydney who had done the Camino. I wondered if it really could be as wonderful as they said, so I had a small degree of skepticism about that when I left Australia. I was wrong to be skeptical - it was fantastic. I have never come across such a wonderful, open, mutually supportive environment in all my life. I loved it.

In terms of my expectations for how I would personally handle the Camino, those were exceeded too. I was pretty fiercely determined to make it all the way to Santiago, but I wondered how enjoyable I would find the whole experience. I don't like communal accommodation as a general rule so I wasn't sure how I would go with that, but I got used to it. I was worried about how I would get along with other pilgrims and if I would make friends, and I made many friends on the Camino. I was worried that I would struggle with the walking, but I didn't have any major problems - it was hard, and I got a few little twinges, but it was fine. I was worried about communicating with the locals - I had learned a little Spanish before I left, but I didn't know how I would go talking to people in Spanish. As it turned out, my Spanish got better as I progressed along the Camino, I picked up more words, felt more confident conversing in Spanish. I wasn't fluent by any means, but I felt I could get by, and I really enjoyed being able to communicate with people in Spanish. So, basically, I was worried that the whole thing could turn out to be an uncomfortable, lonely slog, and it wasn't like that at all. I never felt uncomfortable or overwhelmed. I was absolutely thrilled to be there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I read about the Camino as a young married man with little children,and never lost my desire to walk it.Life got in the way and I realised I would not have the time off work or the finance or the brass cheek to abandon the family for 3/4 weeks,until I retired.Having been in 2013,I became 'an addict',andwent back to walk Leon to SDC in 2014,and now,God willing I will walk Burgos to SDC the 2nd week June.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Everyone has different reasons for doing the Camino. What are yours?

Hi, good question. I’d been hiking regularly for some 35 years, and I love Portugal and the Portuguese, so I started with a long-distance hike from Lisbon to Santiago. About half way along it suddenly dawned on me that I wasn’t on a long walk, I was on a pilgrimage. And that was how I arrived in Santiago: as a pilgrim :)

Hi Stratophile, I planned my first Camino in 2013 because I could! Between 2009 and 2012 I lost 150 pounds and I wanted to celebrate my new life by doing something I could never have contemplated before I lost my weight. I learned of the Camino in 2009 when my daughter walked from Burgos to Santiago with a small group from her college. I was intrigued and so excited for her, but I remember thinking at the time that I would never be able to do such a walk. So when I thought about how to celebrate and how to commit to continuing my healthy life the Camino popped to my mind. My Camino totally met my expectations, but it was so much more than I could imagine! It was a journey of recommittment with my husband, it was a time of religious and spiritual reflection and renewal and it was a time of total freedom. I like to say that when I'm walking, the world falls away. I am walking again this summer because I can and now I have an inkling of what it will be like. But I know it will be new again! I can't wait.... Liz

Last edited:
It was a journey of recommittment with my husband, it was a time of religious and spiritual reflection and renewal and it was a time of total freedom. I like to say that when I'm walking, the world falls away. I am walking again this summer because I can and now I have an inkling of what it will be like. But I know if will be new again! I can't wait.... Liz
What a great story! Congratulations on your newfound love of walking. And I see you are planning the Primitivo this summer -- buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
1. Other than military hikes (marches) and some backpacking during my college years, no other long distance walking experience. The reason I walked the 800 km was solely because of the Camino.
2. Learned about the Camino from a PBS television program here in the US called "Travel with Rick Steves".
3. From the moment I learned of the Camino I had an extremely strong desire to walk it and knew I would first chance I could. The opportunity came after an overseas job ended, so I did it.
4. I had no expectations of what the Camino should be, so there was nothing to live up to, or not live up to.

I heard about the camino about 9 or 10 years ago now. I still can't remember how I heard about it, but it sounded like something that I had to do. There just never seemed like a good time. First I was going to do it over the summer break at uni, until someone pointed out to my silly self that it would be winter in Spain and very difficult to do. Then I wanted to do it as a present to myself for graduating, but the restrictions on the scholarship I had meant I had to start work pretty much the day after I finished classes. Then I couldn't take leave without pay from my job until I had worked at least 2 years. It just seemed like something I'd never get around to doing.

Then finally, last year was a pretty awful year for me and I realised that I couldn't continue to be defined by my job or putting everything else in the world before this adventure. So I decided that I would take a term off work and give myself an amazing 30th birthday present :) I turn 30 on Saturday and leave for France on Tuesday :)

I heard about the camino about 9 or 10 years ago now. I still can't remember how I heard about it, but it sounded like something that I had to do. There just never seemed like a good time. First I was going to do it over the summer break at uni, until someone pointed out to my silly self that it would be winter in Spain and very difficult to do. Then I wanted to do it as a present to myself for graduating, but the restrictions on the scholarship I had meant I had to start work pretty much the day after I finished classes. Then I couldn't take leave without pay from my job until I had worked at least 2 years. It just seemed like something I'd never get around to doing.

Then finally, last year was a pretty awful year for me and I realised that I couldn't continue to be defined by my job or putting everything else in the world before this adventure. So I decided that I would take a term off work and give myself an amazing 30th birthday present :) I turn 30 on Saturday and leave for France on Tuesday :)

Good on you Slynchy!
!Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've been asked this many times by friends, who were surprised... So I thought about it and I think it is probably because I studied literature? The Camino was a big thing then in theMiddle Ages, crops up everywhere!
Anyway, I thought, yeah, must be worth doing.... Just to see what it was all about.
Anyway.... That was in my teens and I married and had children.... The minute my youngest turned 19 and had been at Uni for a year, I said 'I'm off' :)

Don't know exactly.
Friend said she's going to walk the CF, read about it and decided to go.
The 790 sign made me sad.
Walked and walked.
Decided to never do it again (had to visit hospitals and doctors).
But perhaps...
Few weeks later (!) returned to SdC to finish to Finisterre.
And other camino's followed.
Even started to study camino.
That's my way to do the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hmmm. Interesting idea - I've heard of it before but not seen it applied to something like the Camino. That makes for a *lot* of Heroes given the Camino's growth! There's a wee little Hero waiting to burst out of all of us... :)

http://www.thewritersjourney.com/hero's_journey.htm

1. The hero is introduced in his/her ORDINARY WORLD. In the movie that is your life, this is yourself before you ever heard of the Camino. You're going to work or school, just living your ordinary, everyday life.

2. The CALL TO ADVENTURE. There are several threads on here dedicated to how we first heard of the Camino. Maybe you read about it in article or book. Maybe you saw The Way. Maybe someone in your community walked it. We all hear about the Camino in different ways, but we all hear the same call.

3. The hero is reluctant at first. (REFUSAL OF THE CALL.) I'm willing to bet that at least 90% of pilgrims first reaction to the Camino is "no." I don't have the money. I don't have the time. I could never walk all that. We all have a million reasons not to walk the Camino, but in the end, we've all decided to answer the call. Maybe it's walk for your faith. Maybe you just want to have an adventure. Maybe you're hoping to find yourself or even lose yourself.

4. The hero is encouraged by the Wise Old Man or Woman. (MEETING WITH THE MENTOR.) Could our own little message board be part of a Hero's Journey? Of course it can! We come here hoping to gain knowledge and wisdom and the tools we will need for our adventure. But we can't have our hands held forever. Eventually we need to...

5. The hero passes the first threshold. (CROSSING THE THRESHOLD.) For me, I knew I had crossed the threshold when I found myself stepping out of the metro station and onto the street in Paris. I was lost, trying to find my hotel for the night. I was an ocean away from every single person I'd ever known. I was surrounded by people who didn't speak my language. At that moment, I knew it was real. I had left my normal life behind and had entered this world of adventure.

6. The hero encounters tests and helpers. (TESTS, ALLIES, ENEMIES.) Here is where we meet those people that become our Camino family. And possibly those people who become our Camino "enemies." The ones who test our patience.

7. The hero reaches the innermost cave. (APPROACH TO THE INMOST CAVE.) This is where we feel the struggle, both physical and emotional. We have to face our deepest, darkest fears.

8. The hero endures the supreme ORDEAL. I think every pilgrim has that one period on the Camino when they feel it's just too much. All hope is lost. We can't go on anymore. But somehow we manage to summon strength from within. We also summon the strength from without, from our mentors and allies. The hero is "reborn" and survives the ordeal. We find a way to go on.

9. The hero seizes the sword. (SEIZING THE SWORD, REWARD) For a pilgrim, this can be when we walk into Santiago. Or maybe when we receive the Compostela. Maybe it's the sense of accomplishment of doing something great. We have earned a hero's reward for completing our mission.

10. THE ROAD BACK. Although we have our reward, we must still escape with it. We must endure saying good-bye to all those friends we've made. We have to survive the journey home, this time, without the excitement of an adventure waiting for us when we step off the plane. My own personal road back involved 3 train rides, 2 flights, and spending the night on a bench in Hendaye.

11. RESURRECTION. The hero returns to the ordinary world, transformed by the experiences of the adventure. I see this as stepping off that plane as a different person from the one who stepped on it. We go back to the "ordinary" world, but we are no longer ordinary.

12. RETURN WITH THE ELIXIR. Our journey was for naught if we don't share the reward or lessons we learned. The hero's duty is to give the knowledge or "treasure" found on the adventure to the people. We send out the call to adventure that is answered by a new hero. We become the new mentor, passing on what we've learned to those who will follow.

While not every story follows the Hero's Journey, elements are present in the epic stories of the past, like Gilgamesh, The Odyssey, and Beowulf. Today, you can find examples of it everywhere, especially in action movies like The Matrix, comic book movies like Iron Man and Batman, The Lord of the Rings, and the most famous example, Star Wars. But even non-action movies follow the Hero's Journey such as Field of Dreams, Toy Story, and The Big Lebowski. Even The Way uses the Hero's Journey.

As stratophile said, there is a little hero in all of us. The hero's journey is something that is universally appealing. Stories throughout time and in every culture use elements of it. The Camino gives us the chance to be the hero of our own story.

And that's why we walk.

My wife and I had never walked more than a 3mi hike that I know of before walking Camino Frances from SJPP to Finetere.
About 7 years ago a British Methodist preacher came to our church to speak. My mother being British I struck up a conversation with him asking "So did you just fly in from Gatwick or Heathrow?" "Neither" he said, "Madrid". And from there he told the story of Camino - which he'd just come from. I was hooked and wanted to walk it right away. However it took 6 years to convince my wife that it would be a good thing to do for our 25th anniversary and then to prepare.
I've always told youth, and others that you can't say "someday I'll do...", because "someday" never comes. You have to set a date - no matter how far in advance - and start telling people about it. That's what we did. It just happens that my wife and I also hit our late 40's and had a need to get more regular about fitness. Those two items really made Camino happen.
RE: "living up to expectations", I'd have to say "No". I had totally different expectations. Not that Camino was bad, or disappointing whatsoever. I just had something different in my head.
Camino was more drudgery and more city/pavement walking that I had expected. All of our preparatory hikes had been nature/woods/trail.
It was awesome in so many other ways though.

Our "story" can be found on Youtube if you search for "dowtycamino". We have tried to be very open and honest about our personal struggles/surprises and joys along the Way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
8. The hero endures the supreme ORDEAL. I think every pilgrim has that one period on the Camino when they feel it's just too much. All hope is lost. We can't go on anymore. But somehow we manage to summon strength from within. We also summon the strength from without, from our mentors and allies. The hero is "reborn" and survives the ordeal. We find a way to go on.
Very nicely put! I think I will cut-and-paste that entire description and send it to everyone who asks me, in that inevitably bemused tone of voice, "Why? Oh why would you do that???" Why? Well, because I'm a Hero!

One small quibble, though, is that the ORDEAL isn't the struggle to keep putting one foot ahead of the other, it's to restrain ourselves from throttling that one guy (as a guy I am ashamed to admit that it is always a *guy*) in the albergue who [insert pet peeve here]... Now *that* requires heroic restraint and endurance! :)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back