• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why did you walk the Camino more than once?

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
Deal all

Having just arrived from Santiago a few weeks ago, there's no day that my husband and I are having dinner and we don't say "I wish I could go there again", or "I feel we should go again", or "I would love if we had Caldo Gallego for dinner".

We finished CF and started planning to do the Camino Portugues as soon as possible, probably March 2016.
The reason is because we feel like "the Camino is still calling us", but I cannot explain better than this. We were just so happy and we want to feel it again.

So, for those who made the Camino more than once, why did you do it?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh yes, first time in 2007 and since 2012 evey year. Always a different bit od CF or of another route. I can only take 3 weeks off at a time. Idealy, to manage work stuff I would go 3 weeks in spring and 2 in fall.
That is very nice, do you favor one season? I really liked the spring, but I am curious of those who have walked multiple times if they have a favorite.

The call of the Camino is a constant song in the heart of each pilgrim; whether they have walked yet or have walked many times. She calls to me every evening and every morning. I have surrendered to her and have stopped asking why. She calls to me and I must follow.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We love the daily rhythm, the contemplation during the walk, the friendships formed along the way. We keep coming back.
As for our favourite time of year, we loved each of the seasons. Spring had the most amazing wildflowers and the snow on the mountains was spectacular. Autumn saw variations in colours that were breathtaking.
Summer walking through the fields brilliant with sunflowers and a much lighter pack was awesome.
Haven't braved winter yet.
Four weeks till our next summer pilgrimage and more excited than ever to find that familiar rhythm.
Sue and Brian

From 2004 through 2014 I have walked the Camino Frances in its entirety ten times in late autumn/winter.

Each pilgrimage developed into a rich mix of old friends and new, fickleness of weather, stamina and health and, most importantly, philosophical musings and personal thanksgiving for each day lived. Subsequently providing information about the Camino has become a particular pleasure whether talking with another pilgrim or writing alone for an unknown reader

Why do I do this? My laconic answer is from Pascal's Pensées "le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing."

We love the daily rhythm, the contemplation during the walk, the friendships formed along the way. We keep coming back.
As for our favourite time of year, we loved each of the seasons. Spring had the most amazing wildflowers and the snow on the mountains was spectacular. Autumn saw variations in colours that were breathtaking.
Summer walking through the fields brilliant with sunflowers and a much lighter pack was awesome.
Four weeks till our next summer pilgrimage and more excited than ever to find that familiar rhythm.
Sue and Brian
Hi,
I am so jealous that you have only 4 weeks, I am going back in 2016 Sept to walk the Camino Catalan and then onto Santiago not a day goes by that the Camino is not tugging at my heart to have time to relax be with friends and the sounds that fill the air and that rhythm one fits into. Buen Camino and enjoy.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Deal all

Having just arrived from Santiago a few weeks ago, there's no day that my husband and I are having dinner and we don't say "I wish I could go there again", or "I feel we should go again", or "I would love if we had Caldo Gallego for dinner".

We finished CF and started planning to do the Camino Portugues as soon as possible, probably March 2016.
The reason is because we feel like "the Camino is still calling us", but I cannot explain better than this. We were just so happy and we want to feel it again.

Going again and again is so common... we were just talking about it a couple of days with our walking buddies from last year, laughing and saying it's a bit like childbirth - you forget the pain. My husband and I have walked three now, each a different route (Spain, Italy and France) and a different time of year (Winter, Autumn and Spring) and alone (as a couple) and with friends. I would do them all again in a heartbeat. Twelve months since we finished the last one and the itch is starting again. It is such a unique experience to live slow, close to nature, in absolute simplicity and taking each day as it comes, living at the pace of our ancestors. Travelling at walking speed for long enough that it becomes a way of life is a very precious feeling. And it opens you up to so many unexpected experiences.
Maggie Ramsay
("The Italian Camino"; "My Camino in France" - Amazon)

I have yet to do my first camino, but I think, after all the things you have to learn about the camino and the gear you search out, it would be easier to go on a second camino. As a retired person, I could see myself doing this again as long as I felt healthy enough to do it.

Because I am obsessed with Spain and the Basque Country, because the Camino was an intensely rewarding experience, because we want to walk the Norte (see Basque comment), because we walk five miles every day anyway, and because, while taking a 13 month old made our camino extra special, we'd like to also have that experience sometime withOUT a baby.

But no Caminos in the near future. I can't imagine taking a toddler or small child too big to carry but too small to walk themselves. We will be sitting it out at least until he is 11 or 12 (or however old he needs to be to do the Norte). Then my wife and I plan to do the Frances again starting in Paris when we are in our fifties.

The Camino keeps calling me so I answer it, and will do so God willing
I also walked in Sept 2013 and 2014 but now I have to wait till Sept 2016 which seems a long way off, but planning helps the pull as I know I am on my way back.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have walked on the Camino Frances three times - 2003, 2012, 2015 - during three different seasons (summer, spring, and winter). Being a priest now, I have a hard time getting more than three weeks off. I went in January of this year, which was the most convenient time for me, and I just loved the tranquility and the winter landscape. I am planning to go ahead in January 2016. For me, the Camino is a prayer retreat with God - that is how I approach it. For me, it is like going home.

I have walked on the Camino Frances three times - 2003, 2012, 2015 - during three different seasons (summer, spring, and winter). Being a priest now, I have a hard time getting more than three weeks off. I went in January of this year, which was the most convenient time for me, and I just loved the tranquility and the winter landscape. I am planning to go ahead in January 2016. For me, the Camino is a prayer retreat with God - that is how I approach it. For me, it is like going home.
I agree totally in that it is and one can make it a prayerful time.

The Camino keeps calling me so I answer it, and will do so God willing

It is just that simple. There is nothing complicated about it. It is a calling to return to hear the rhythm of my feet, the adventure of the road, the beauty of the land and it's people. For me the road gave me history and a time for reflection, spirituality, challenges, and new friendships. It is a feeling that I want to share and experience again. Hopefully in late August of 2016, God willing. Buen Camino.

Last edited:
The second time around enables you to revisit favourite spots and to remember all the things you did on a previous occasion, the people you met and talked to before. Also, it gives you an opportunity to improve the experience, perhaps by carrying less or by staying in different places.

How dearly I wish I could find a simple answer to this question.

Buen (returning again) Camino

Me too! But I've decided to stop thinking about it and just go. Maybe I will find the answer there? I will probably go next year too..... and the year after?
Buen camino again!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Camino (and Santiago) called again but this year we believe was for the last time, as we said before we left home. We will continue to walk in Spain and visit places we could not detour too from our Caminos, but will take our car to enable us to do so.
So for us it was - if the Camino calls then answer the call, but recognise when it is time to move on as a pilgrim through life, confirmed by Father Joe's homily at the English Mass
Food; we make our favourite recipes here at home. Does anyone know how to make that coating stick on Milanesas?? and not fall off before it reaches our plates.

@Tia Valeria -

Does anyone know how to make that coating stick on Milanesas?? and not fall off before it reaches our plates.

The process is no different than making 'wiener schnitzel' aka 'Viennese cutlet' though the seasonings differ. The most common mistakes (which I made myself) are 1) not having enough oil in the pan and 2) not paying attention to the sequence of breading steps. Also, I have found that bringing the meat close to room temperature before starting helps quite a bit.

If you still have problems after examining this recipe for the process (link: http://germanfood.about.com/od/meatbasedrecipesandmenu/r/wienerschnitzel.htm) then send me a PM. We can swap e-mail addresses, you can send me your recipe and I'll try to help you out.

B

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Camino (and Santiago) called again but this year we believe was for the last time, as we said before we left home. We will continue to walk in Spain and visit places we could not detour too from our Caminos, but will take our car to enable us to do so.
So for us it was - if the Camino calls then answer the call, but recognise when it is time to move on as a pilgrim through life, confirmed by Father Joe's homily at the English Mass
Food; we make our favourite recipes here at home. Does anyone know how to make that coating stick on Milanesas?? and not fall off before it reaches our plates.
Tia Valeria: Super simple. 1) Pound meat thin between two pieces of plastic wrap. 2) dust meat with flour or cornstarch (shake extra off), 3) dip in two beaten eggs ( can add a bit of water to loosen egg), 4) coat in bread crumbs, 5) let sit for a few minutes or refrigerate if not cooking immediately. Cook in hot oil. The flour acts as glue to hold the egg on and the egg adheres the bread crumbs. Works every time.

The second time around enables you to revisit favourite spots and to remember all the things you did on a previous occasion, the people you met and talked to before. Also, it gives you an opportunity to improve the experience, perhaps by carrying less or by staying in different places.

I have finished my first Camino a month ago, and I am already missing it. I thought that with time the pull will disappear, but after reading this thread, I suspect that it may only get stronger.

Like you, I hope that the second time will be richer. I will fix some of my packing and scheduling mistakes and by not having to wonder what's next I will be paying more attention to the places I am passing.

Victoria

From 2004 through 2014 I have walked the Camino Frances in its entirety ten times in late autumn/winter.

Each pilgrimage developed into a rich mix of old friends and new, fickleness of weather, stamina and health and, most importantly, philosophical musings and personal thanksgiving for each day lived. Subsequently providing information about the Camino has become a particular pleasure whether talking with another pilgrim or writing alone for an unknown reader

Why do I do this? My laconic answer is from Pascal's Pensées "le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing."

Wow! I wish I can do that too. I can't get a time off work for more than 3 weeks in a row. Maybe someday.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tia Valeria: Super simple. 1) Pound meat thin between two pieces of plastic wrap. 2) dust meat with flour or cornstarch (shake extra off), 3) dip in two beaten eggs ( can add a bit of water to loosen egg), 4) coat in bread crumbs, 5) let sit for a few minutes or refrigerate if not cooking immediately. Cook in hot oil. The flour acts as glue to hold the egg on and the egg adheres the bread crumbs. Works every time.
Thanks Laura - I do, but it still comes off. Maybe I need a bit more oil on my 'plancha' which is usually only lightly oiled.
Meanwhile we are cooking Arroz con pollo and still wondering exactly what was in the Arroz con Pitu. It had large bones so was either a very big duck or goose. Either way it was very good. Food, flowers and people will draw us back to the camino paths even if not walking again to Santiago.

I haven't walked a second time, but it has been my dream ever since the first all those years ago. I planned to walk the Ingles in 2008 and started studying Spanish as it was said to be very difficult if one didn't speak it well.

The first time was such a sacred experience for me and it seemed like there were too many realizations for me to grasp that I would need to return to see if I could capture more of them.

At the time I walked this forum didn't exist nor did I know anyone else who had walked and the craving to talk to others who understand was just painful! Now that we are in 2015 and I haven't yet been able to return, having this forum and blogs to read (not to mention numerous books) has helped. I am beginning to feel it may not happen for me again, but I keep on with Spanish in hopes it will.

I envy all of you who have returned and wish you all Buen Camino~!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I love the freedom of the Camino. Having time to think, having time to not-think. Just being there.
Meeting wonderful people sharing the same experience, people from all walks in life, people I would not have met otherwise.
I enjoy the nature around the Camino, somewhere I read that humans have an innate longing for being surrounded by nature and living in a big city, I enjoy being in the mountains, the Meseta, walking along the Beach in Finisterre.
I love waking up in the mornings knowing that all I have to do, is walk. No demands, no pressure. A whole day by myself.
And I love Spain and the Spanish people, the tapas and the vino tinto, the cafe con leche - break with shoes off.
I can't wait for it to happen Again.

As one of the many addicted Caminoholics, the explanation for returning is usually only understood by other Pilgrims. It is a feeling that is difficult to share. However, I mirror most of the explanations that have been given so far.

I finished my second Camino last month and I started planning my next trip for 2016. One of my options is to walk the Frances to Santiago, bus up to the start of the Inglés route and then taking a bus from Santiago to walk part of the Portuguese route. Or perhaps Le Puy-en-Velay to Santiago? It isn't about the Compostelas, it about not wanting to stop.

It has enriched my life, allowed me to make lasting friendships, and given me a complete new focus on life. I am so grateful that have had this experience.

Buen Camino Peregrinos !

Deal all

My husband and I got back about 6 weeks ago and we still talk about our trip and plan to go back again as soon as we get the time off. Almost every night we look at our pictures again and again and wish we can be there soon. We didn't have enough vacation days so we were only able to do it from Villafranca. We think it wasn't enough and we feel we miss a whole whole lot.

I'm happy for you. Enjoy your next trip. I wish we can do it too. Buen Camino!

Sue and Brian

The excitement grows when the count down starts. I wish I can start my count down as well but I have to wait for another 700 days. Good luck! Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Eric 1985 says "He won't be back". I understand this! I felt the same when I first got home. So much pain on all levels!! (I had not trained). In fact, friends were surprised , because, apparently I bemoaned a lot of the experience at first and was just glad to be home. But after some time went by, remembering all the amazing things that happened, the camino began to call, relentlessly.

I would like to hear back from Eric 1985 in a couple of months! So, Eric if you read this, let us know if you change your mind.:)

I love the freedom of the Camino. Having time to think, having time to not-think. Just being there.
Meeting wonderful people sharing the same experience, people from all walks in life, people I would not have met otherwise.
I enjoy the nature around the Camino, somewhere I read that humans have an innate longing for being surrounded by nature and living in a big city, I enjoy being in the mountains, the Meseta, walking along the Beach in Finisterre.
I love waking up in the mornings knowing that all I have to do, is walk. No demands, no pressure. A whole day by myself.
And I love Spain and the Spanish people, the tapas and the vino tinto, the cafe con leche - break with shoes off.
I can't wait for it to happen Again.

I totally understand your feeling. "I love waking up in the mornings knowing that all I have to do, is walk. No demands, no pressure. A whole day by myself" This is exactly what my husband and I feel. Everyday we long to go back. Somehow this afternoon I had this tremendous feeling of wanting to do it again. I don't know why I just feel it and would be very very very happy if I can do it again soon.

In hectic everyday life there is a lot I forget, and be remembered of on the camino.
-Who am I really under that mask?
-What do I really care for in life?
-Can I stop, this life that is running like a freight-train? Can I change its direction?

In a 100 different ways the camino gives me answers, through myself, through others, through the piece and quiet.
It stops the train for a rest and lets me see new horizons. I know there is still a lot the camino can teach me.

oh... and also I don´t mind the Rioja wine drinking either.

Going again and again is so common... we were just talking about it a couple of days with our walking buddies from last year, laughing and saying it's a bit like childbirth - you forget the pain. My husband and I have walked three now, each a different route (Spain, Italy and France) and a different time of year (Winter, Autumn and Spring) and alone (as a couple) and with friends. I would do them all again in a heartbeat. Twelve months since we finished the last one and the itch is starting again. It is such a unique experience to live slow, close to nature, in absolute simplicity and taking each day as it comes, living at the pace of our ancestors. Travelling at walking speed for long enough that it becomes a way of life is a very precious feeling. And it opens you up to so many unexpected experiences.
Maggie Ramsay
("The Italian Camino"; "My Camino in France" - Amazon)
I would do them all in a heart beat. This is exactly what my husband and I feel and this is also what I tell my friends. My husband asked me if I am to choose going back to Italy or anywhere in Europe or Asia where do I want to go. Before he finished asking the question I already said I want to do the Camino. My sister can't understand this but my husband does. I am even willing to forego going back to my home country to visit my mother and siblings which I know will be a bad decision so I guess Camino has to wait for another year. It hurts...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Im just about to finish it for the first time tomorrow. And I wont be back
I remember saying this too when I finished, I have done it now, another thing off the list, but I wasn't at home for more than a month when I missed it greatly and couldn't wait to get back again. I watched The Way several times and then Gunnar W, a member here made several videos called Radio Buen Camino and when I watched these they brought tears to my eyes because it was the real Camino and I could see all the places again where I walked and stayed. I went back in 2013 for a short Camino with my wife and again in 2014 for the full Frances, but that one didn't work out. This Autumn I hope to do another short one with my wife if everything works out OK. Love it.

May I ask why? Wasn´t it a good experience?

I'm curious, too, and thought perhaps he loved every minute of it and will simply be on to the next great and rewarding challenge. There's lots of mountains to climb in life and not a lot of time to do it.

It's great that he's a man of few words because now we can all wait in suspense for more!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm reading yet another book on the Camino and I came across these words which resonate with this topic:
She asked then what changes I had noticed in myself. Just the ones you would expect, I replied. I was no longer aware of either the rucksack on my back, or of my boots, nor did I any longer worry about losing my way. I now, in short, felt completely at home on the Camino.
'Just be careful,' Sheila warned. 'You might end up not feeling at home anywhere else afterwards.'

No, both are lovely, as lon as there is no major heat I am a happy camper.
Give me the heat any day, every day!
'Just be careful,' Sheila warned. 'You might end up not feeling at home anywhere else afterwards.'
There is a great deal of truth to this statement and I am well beyond being "not feeling at home anywhere else afterwards" after walking since 2011.

My wife and I did our second and final camino last year. We did it because we were so enriched by the first in 2011 and we were delighted by the fact that there were still new experiences to be had. As it was our last camino the view for the last time of the mist filled valleys in the early morning dawn at O'Cebriero was particularly painful, knowing that it was for the last time. The great time in Santiago and the meeting of those we had walked with along the way had an undercurrent of finality and resultant pain. And so it was that we stood in the corner of the square in front of the Cathedral looking into the west with a tear in our eyes on that last night and so it is that we are walking from Sarria this September (after a trip to Rome and Sorrento and one night in Dublin) and so it is that we start all over again next year in St Jean, but don't ask me why.

I understand that call, but it is so hard to explain to others I have stopped trying and now smile to myself when I hear it, which seems to be most days.

I first felt "the call" few months ago and I went on my camino this July/August. I came back last Friday...couple days ago actually. When I first tried to explain to my friends and family here why I decided to do it nobody understood what I meant when I said I can't explain it but I felt "the call". Then on the Camino we all exactly know what it means and it doesn't need an explanation. To be part of that "special" group, the chosen ones (if you wish) felt so special to me and I was thanking God every day for that call, the recognition of it and for the fact I was there.
So it IS so calming to read again how many people use the same words "the call" to describe it, just like I did before even knowing how many of us felt the same way.
Will I do it again?!? I don't know. When I was walking it I thought I wouldn't. Like I'd rather go and do another pilgrimage somewhere else in the world (like Japan's), but now after being home less than a week and still feeling very confused, not being able to see anyone yet or talk to anyone (friends and family) and the sole thought of it makes me uncomfortable (I got Spanish number when I was there and was only in contact with my mom so I basically totally excluded myself from everyone and everything back home)...
But as someone here said if I ever get the call again of course I will do it. Maybe not the same route (I did Frances).
The call of camino is one of those things where you RSVP with capital YES!!!

I'm reading yet another book on the Camino and I came across these words which resonate with this topic:
She asked then what changes I had noticed in myself. Just the ones you would expect, I replied. I was no longer aware of either the rucksack on my back, or of my boots, nor did I any longer worry about losing my way. I now, in short, felt completely at home on the Camino.
oh wow,what book was it that you read that quote "you might end up not feeling at home anywhere else"cos that is how i feel and why i keep looking at and reading other peoples posts like a peeping tom trying to relive the joy/nerves this walk will bring.it helps to know that i am not alone in this feeling,yes there were tough bits but the good/fantastic bits far out weight them,,i love most the mix of ages /class/nationality that this walk puts together and how it works so well.governments could /should take a lesson from them and see how pulling together can get everyone to the happy place we all want to be..be it walking/cycling/carry your pack or not,we all got there with the help and back up of others,THATS THE WAY!!!!

Reading this thread makes my heart jump with joy all you guys are one big reason I will walk again and again as its to meet future friends as a song goes "God is great Beer is good and people are crazy"

May I ask why? Wasn´t it a good experience?
I won't presume to answer for him, but it is almost always because expectations were not met. The pilgrim expected something from the pilgrimage, but got something different. Second timers may have a higher chance of being disappointed because they expect to replay their first one. The physical difficulty often surprises pilgrims, some of whom have almost no outdoor or hiking experience. I think that the physical difficulty is not a deterrent for those who finish; they will have discovered that they are not limited by it, so may be interested in going again. For a handful the walk is not tough enough. They expected an Appalachian Trail or Pacific Crest Trail (expectations again), so are not interested in the level of challenge. A few cannot get joy out of life regardless of what they do!;)

Why? It's become part of my self-definition. I am a person who takes a long walk, at least once a year.

Having the time to be with my family, noticing how the world around me shrinks until there are only two important things in the world: Putting one foot in front of the other and what's for lunch. It's just wonderful!

oh wow,what book was it that you read that quote "you might end up not feeling at home anywhere else"cos that is how i feel and why i keep looking at and reading other peoples posts like a peeping tom trying to relive the joy/nerves this walk will bring.it helps to know that i am not alone in this feeling,yes there were tough bits but the good/fantastic bits far out weight them,,i love most the mix of ages /class/nationality that this walk puts together and how it works so well.governments could /should take a lesson from them and see how pulling together can get everyone to the happy place we all want to be..be it walking/cycling/carry your pack or not,we all got there with the help and back up of others,THATS THE WAY!!!!

Call of the Camino by Robert Mullen

I won't presume to answer for him, but it is almost always because expectations were not met. The pilgrim expected something from the pilgrimage, but got something different. Second timers may have a higher chance of being disappointed because they expect to replay their first one. The physical difficulty often surprises pilgrims, some of whom have almost no outdoor or hiking experience. I think that the physical difficulty is not a deterrent for those who finish; they will have discovered that they are not limited by it, so may be interested in going again. For a handful the walk is not tough enough. They expected an Appalachian Trail or Pacific Crest Trail (expectations again), so are not interested in the level of challenge. A few cannot get joy out of life regardless of what they do!;)

Heraclitus: No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man

Second your comment on expectations. I rarely repeat a walk,
primarily because there are so many but also because it is so difficult to come back without any expectations.... but I can see the lure of the Camino and there are so many different paths that I am greatly tempted (probably not the correct terminology for a pilgrim).

Aha, so good, I am not alone in this crazy obsession. I think someone put it well when they said its like "coming home". I read up for years on the Camino before finally going this July/August, Ive been back 6 weeks and I'm already thinking on "What would it be like in different seasons" and convincing myself that I didn't quite do it properly! There are bits I'd like to redo, I went via Valcarlos and next time will go over the Napoleon route, for sure I wasn't walking in presence for 99% of the time and I know I missed some incredible churches. I'd like to stay at many of the overnight stops I missed through lack of knowledge, I always seemed to run out of leg juice just before the really great places to stay and would walk past them at 8am the following day. Not next time!

I first felt "the call" few months ago and I went on my camino this July/August. I came back last Friday...couple days ago actually. When I first tried to explain to my friends and family here why I decided to do it nobody understood what I meant when I said I can't explain it but I felt "the call". Then on the Camino we all exactly know what it means and it doesn't need an explanation. To be part of that "special" group, the chosen ones (if you wish) felt so special to me and I was thanking God every day for that call, the recognition of it and for the fact I was there.
So it IS so calming to read again how many people use the same words "the call" to describe it, just like I did before even knowing how many of us felt the same way.
Will I do it again?!? I don't know. When I was walking it I thought I wouldn't. Like I'd rather go and do another pilgrimage somewhere else in the world (like Japan's), but now after being home less than a week and still feeling very confused, not being able to see anyone yet or talk to anyone (friends and family) and the sole thought of it makes me uncomfortable (I got Spanish number when I was there and was only in contact with my mom so I basically totally excluded myself from everyone and everything back home)...
But as someone here said if I ever get the call again of course I will do it. Maybe not the same route (I did Frances).
The call of camino is one of those things where you RSVP with capital YES!!!
After two CF and a third Camino De Levante in 2016 it becomes harder to explain that calling, other pilgrims understand it but others cannot get their heads around putting a pack on your back and just walking. But its more than just walking its the people the time to reflect on ones life and give thanks that you were called, its magic and I am only 11 months away from my next walk.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Deal all

Hi, for me it is a adiction. Every year a different Camino.
Wish you well, Peter.

"I was no longer aware of either the rucksack on my back, or of my boots, nor did I any longer worry about losing my way. I now, in short, felt completely at home on the Camino ... 'Just be careful,' Sheila warned. 'You might end up not feeling at home anywhere else afterwards.' " (Call of the Camino by Robert Mullen)

Well said. I share the feelings.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I enjoyed the last one.
I liked this, and Falcons earlier comment...
When we walked out first Camino and met people who had done it more then once we thought they were mad. Once yes, to see if you could do it maybe, but surely once is enough!
Then we got to the end and discovered we had walking sickness and couldn't stop. Even when we got home, a yellow arrow, scallop shell, or the sight of a pack leaning against a bar would set us off. So we set about finding more routes, and returned, and returned. We've tramped all over our wonderful country and travelled many more historical routes, but the smell of Spain and the wave of golden light that hits you after a few hours on the way drew us back.
The question is not why would you do it again, it's what wouldn't you.

Last edited:
because it is there...

€149,-
I walked the Camino in April/May 2017 and I was just curious to see if I could physically do it and the curiosity of what being by myself for 4 weeks would be like. While walking I heard stories of people who were doing it for the 2nd - 9th times and I thought that was a bit silly - once was enough. Yet within a week of going home, I just wanted to do it again. Why?

1) I felt a sense of energy during my Camino that I had never experienced before.
2) I experienced a sense of community I had never witnessed before - even though the other pilgrims I met along the Way were strangers.

It was so refreshing. But I didn't really recognize this until the last 3-5 days of the walk. One of the greatest gifts I have received. I will go again.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back