• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why do it Again?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
While I walked the CF the second time this last fall, many pilgrims I met along the way - during bad weather or in physically challenging sections especially - expressed bafflement about why I would ever want to do this again. I couldn't explain it, but told them to wait until a few weeks after they get home and see if they feel the same way.

I actually wish I didn't feel so compelled to go back to the Camino (the Primitivo next). I've lived in the Caribbean, traveled much of Latin America and SE Asia, but there is much of the world I haven't seen. Like the whole continent of Africa! And even Italy and Greece! I feel kind of guilty that I just want to go back to Spain again.

I can see that you do not understand the meaning of this pilgrimage "This thing" does not need your support.

I was making a joke, but you have no idea how right you are. I still don't understand the meaning of Camino. It's been almost 4 years now since I walked, and it haunts me to this day that I still feel like I never "got" the Camino.

Not a damn thing about it makes any sense. Why in the world would I feel called to do this? I'm about the worst Catholic there is. There are a million other things I could have been called to do, and better suited for, but nope, I have to fly halfway around the world and walk 500 miles in a country I had no real interest in or any connection to. Spanish history? Who cares? The culture? Bullfighting and getting a 4 hour nap in the middle of the workday? Big deal. Oh, and supposedly the remains of an apostle are there. Sure... I'm reminded a quote about supposed pieces of the True Cross, how if all of them were collected, it would be enough wood to build a ship. And on top of that, I'm not even a St. James guy. Peter was always my favorite apostle. Or just Saints in general, then I'm a St. Dismas guy.

And that totally ignores the physical aspects of it. Me, walking 500 miles! I get winded walking to the refrigerator!

Oh, and then there is whole social thing. Pilgrims are supposed to warm and open to everyone. Warm and open are not adjectives used to describe my personality. Cold and introverted, now those are adjectives I can get behind. Along with negative, surly, grumpy, moody, selfish, uncaring, and jerk.

Yet my fat, grumpy butt was called to spend a year working 60 and 70 hour weeks, doing hard, physical labor, just so I could save up enough to do this insane walk. And despite my limitations, I made it. And not only did I make it, you could almost say I thrived on the Camino.

I made friends from around the world. I held conversations with locals even though I only knew a handful of Spanish words. I came to see that we're not so different. Sitting at a bar in the Ledigos, seeing all the people gather to watch a futbol match. Same thing happens in the tiny towns where I'm from, except it's football on the TV. Conversations were probably the same too. Talking about dying rural towns, farm prices, families, etc.

And spiritually... well, they'll never put me down for sainthood, that's for sure. But I feel like I did draw closer to the Almighty. And I even added a few new saint friends, like St. James and Santo Domingo. And I came to a conclusion about the whole relics thing. It doesn't matter. Even if that box has the earthly remains of Santiago, it's not what is important about him. Is he in that box? Who knows? But I can tell you he is with every pilgrim who hears the call to walk.

And physically... I made it to Santiago in 35 days. My only major injury was dealing with a big blister for a couple of days. I saw so many pilgrims, who were in much better shape than me, succum to far worse. Some were forced to rest for several days at a time. Others even had to cut their pilgrimage short. But me? I walked my fat butt into Santiago in the best shape I'd been in since... well, probably forever!

So yeah, I totally do not understand a thing about this pilgrimage. None of it made any sense! Guess that's why I have to go back and do it again. Maybe I'll figure it out this time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Your story sounds very similar to mine Jeff. I'm not even a year removed yet and trying to work out a way back! Perhaps it'll be another career change in a few years...or next month ;) I know a lot of people walk it in pieces but I do not think that would be enough for me after experiencing the whole thing. I want another go knowing what I "think" I know now.

I have hiked the Camino pilgrimage route 5 different times - 2003, 2012, 2015, 2016, and 2017. The last three times were in the winter by myself. I am a Catholic priest. I have had four different assignments in the last nine years. I am serving in a diocese that is far from close family and friends. Going back to the Camino Frances is like seeing a close friend again. The Camino gives me encouragement and energy. The last assignment I had, which lasted almost five years, was very taxing on me. If I had not gone on those three Camino hikes of prayer, reflection, and solitude these past three years, I don't think I would have made it. As it was, mentally, spiritually, and physically, I was very close to my breaking point. I am currently still recovering from some health challenges which prevent me from going on the Camino this year. If it was not for that, I would be back again this year, for sure. I hope to hike the mission trail in California one day, since I grew up in southern California. But, the Camino de Santiago de Compostela will always be near to my heart, and I will never tire of it. It will continue to draw me back. So much of what touches me on the Camino cannot be put into words.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have hiked the Camino pilgrimage route 5 different times - 2003, 2012, 2015, 2016, and 2017. The last three times were in the winter by myself. I am a Catholic priest. I have had four different assignments in the last nine years. I am serving in a diocese that is far from close family and friends. Going back to the Camino Frances is like seeing a close friend again. The Camino gives me encouragement and energy. The last assignment I had, which lasted almost five years, was very taxing on me. If I had not gone on those three Camino hikes of prayer, reflection, and solitude these past three years, I don't think I would have made it. As it was, mentally, spiritually, and physically, I was very close to my breaking point. I am currently still recovering from some health challenges which prevent me from going on the Camino this year. If it was not for that, I would be back again this year, for sure. I hope to hike the mission trail in California one day, since I grew up in southern California. But, the Camino de Santiago de Compostela will always be near to my heart, and I will never tire of it. It will continue to draw me back. So much of what touches me on the Camino cannot be put into words.
Thankyou for sharing your thoughts and I wish you good health and a speedy return to the Camino de Santiago de Compostela. Buen Camino

I am not home yet after completing the Camino Frances at the end of October. I am taking some time out to reflect before getting home but while I have reflecting, I have been asking myself why would anyone want to do it again and again and again. Now you are home what is it that makes you want to go back? And I'm not talking about the people who just do a section each year until they have finished it. That I can completely understand but those who walked the whole thing or most of the time in one go. Why not do another trial or something different?
For me it is a wonderful solo journey allowing plenty of time to contemplate while walking with the option of having interesting people to talk to and share food with in the evenings.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I didn't expect to fall in love with the Camino and Spain, I expected a memorable adventure.
After my first Camino I was almost in mourning for it. I missed everything about it, even as I boarded the plane to get back to New Zealand I was planning my next one.
We have wonderful walking and hiking in New Zealand, and I love my adventures here as well. I live in a beautiful area and I walk every day, with my family, with my dogs and by myself. Our country is beautiful and I love showing it off to visitors. I encourage everyone to come here and do our walks, we have such a variety.
But the Camino got under my skin, and my thoughts returned to it everyday, until I set off again.
From NZ, the trip to Spain is probably longer than from anywhere else, so its quite a commitment in cost and time.
It is the big country, the people, the infrastructure, the history, the friendship, the food, and the adventure all rolled into one. There were surprises. I'm not a particularly religious person, and didn't expect to be so spiritually affected. When I walked up to the cathedral in Santiago I heard the piper, and I cried. I hadn't expected to feel so emotional. And I didn't expect to feel so connected to the friends we made as we walked. I learned so much about all the counties the other pilgrims came from, because we had time to talk and listen. We shared stories, gear and food. I felt pure happiness most of the time.
Yes it hurts, at some point I think everyone will experience pain, even if it is just a blister or sunburn.
Somehow, the fact that we all share that links us in some way.
As I finished my (2nd) Camino last year my sister said to me, 'you're not done with this are you?" And no I'm not. I still think about it every day. Still talk about it and bore everyone. I'm now making plans for my next two trips. Each Camino is different. Later this year I hope to walk it alone. But next year I will take my husband and our two oldest grandchildren, and walk from Leon to Santiago - a smaller Camino, they are in high school, so it has to be in school holidays. That will be a completely difference experience.
The only way to deal with not doing a Camino, is to plan the next one.

I was making a joke, but you have no idea how right you are. I still don't understand the meaning of Camino. It's been almost 4 years now since I walked, and it haunts me to this day that I still feel like I never "got" the Camino.

Not a damn thing about it makes any sense. Why in the world would I feel called to do this? I'm about the worst Catholic there is. There are a million other things I could have been called to do, and better suited for, but nope, I have to fly halfway around the world and walk 500 miles in a country I had no real interest in or any connection to. Spanish history? Who cares? The culture? Bullfighting and getting a 4 hour nap in the middle of the workday? Big deal. Oh, and supposedly the remains of an apostle are there. Sure... I'm reminded a quote about supposed pieces of the True Cross, how if all of them were collected, it would be enough wood to build a ship. And on top of that, I'm not even a St. James guy. Peter was always my favorite apostle. Or just Saints in general, then I'm a St. Dismas guy.

And that totally ignores the physical aspects of it. Me, walking 500 miles! I get winded walking to the refrigerator!

Oh, and then there is whole social thing. Pilgrims are supposed to warm and open to everyone. Warm and open are not adjectives used to describe my personality. Cold and introverted, now those are adjectives I can get behind. Along with negative, surly, grumpy, moody, selfish, uncaring, and jerk.

Yet my fat, grumpy butt was called to spend a year working 60 and 70 hour weeks, doing hard, physical labor, just so I could save up enough to do this insane walk. And despite my limitations, I made it. And not only did I make it, you could almost say I thrived on the Camino.

I made friends from around the world. I held conversations with locals even though I only knew a handful of Spanish words. I came to see that we're not so different. Sitting at a bar in the Ledigos, seeing all the people gather to watch a futbol match. Same thing happens in the tiny towns where I'm from, except it's football on the TV. Conversations were probably the same too. Talking about dying rural towns, farm prices, families, etc.

And spiritually... well, they'll never put me down for sainthood, that's for sure. But I feel like I did draw closer to the Almighty. And I even added a few new saint friends, like St. James and Santo Domingo. And I came to a conclusion about the whole relics thing. It doesn't matter. Even if that box has the earthly remains of Santiago, it's not what is important about him. Is he in that box? Who knows? But I can tell you he is with every pilgrim who hears the call to walk.

And physically... I made it to Santiago in 35 days. My only major injury was dealing with a big blister for a couple of days. I saw so many pilgrims, who were in much better shape than me, succum to far worse. Some were forced to rest for several days at a time. Others even had to cut their pilgrimage short. But me? I walked my fat butt into Santiago in the best shape I'd been in since... well, probably forever!

So yeah, I totally do not understand a thing about this pilgrimage. None of it made any sense! Guess that's why I have to go back and do it again. Maybe I'll figure it out this time.
awesome. post!!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is a great thread.. Reading through it has really reinvigorated and inspired me again !
I also feel like doing the camino again - and i feel drawn to it for reasons i don't even fully understand either - it comes from somewhere deep within..but i feel that my first response to the initial post question of - 'why do it again' -is because once we do something that has truly been awe inspiring we feel a compulsion to go there again .. .. it can never truly be the same thing either- because although the natural & physical elements and villages, landmarks remain the same - we however are never the same person and the people and circumstances we meet and come up against are always going to be different . The causes and conditions and circumstances of each camino are like a kaleidoscope of nuances and differences as is the growth that we continually undergo in this life journey - every step takes us somewhere new .

I completed the Camino Frances from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago in Sept- Oct 2015- in 35 days (with 2 rest days- one was enforced due to falling cracking my skull in Santo Domingo ) and despite the arduous nature it was a truly amazing experience for me personally - emotionally , physically and spiritually .An unforgettable adventure.

I remember saying to myself afterwards that once is enough though. However , i started to get the 'bug ' again and wanted to give back - so i organised to do hospitelero training in early 2017 in Brisbane Australia with a Canadian friend that became my girlfriend - someone special that i met on the camino- in 2015.

We both then served as hospitelero's in Bercianos in Oct 2017. This too was an amazing and very fulfilling experience of a lifetime - just to be of service to pilgrims- it was a different perspective and very exhausting but deeply meaningful .

Afterwards - we flew to Porto & walked the Caminho Portuguese from Porto to santiago in about ten days . then my friend and I went our separate ways and she flew back home to Canada as she only had a ceratin amount of time available .

i decided to push on and walk from Santiago to Finesterre . It was fantastic .. but unfortunately I ended up in hospital just after it , i got very unwell and had to go to hospital a week later ( in Porto) to have my gall bladder removed but thats another story ;-)

i have recovered since my return back to australia and have missed the camino very much - i think about it often - started reading books and researching about it again- i lost 15 Kgs after my operation and was very unwell for many months and also feeling very down ... but i have now regained my weight & health and morale ' -I started walking training again last week ( 25 Kms and will continue each week ) -so i am thinking about going on the camino again in late September this year (2018).

I have 5 weeks leave and 4 weeks to walk only .Im just not sure which route this time. My mind has been set on the Italian Cammino of St Francis for the last few months- i have been researching it a lot , I also wouldnt mind walking the Camino norte from Oviedo . now Reading these posts have made me homesick for the Camino Frances- for the camaraderie, the excellent infrastructure and that it is relatively inexpensive - i could possibly walk from Bercianos - where i served as a hospitelero and see the people in the village and take a slow leisurely camino this time with no time or people pressure . At any rate - i love the camino and pilgrimage for me is the best & most important and amazing thing ive ever done in my life .

I will let it sit a while and perhaps it will come to me which route to take . I have 5 weeks leave but wish to complete 4 weeks in Europe - maybe 3 weeks of walking ..and another week of relaxing somewhere..
Thankyou for this great thread- it has been wonderful reading everyones posts and comments . I wish camino blessings to everyone .. .. Buen camino

Last edited:
You are all right.
After several months of being home, I have answered my own question and I am.planning my next one for May 2019. Just trying to save enough money, encourage my husband to come to and get fitter than I was last time. It's in the blood now.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don’t think you understand the concept or definition of addiction! But my guess is that you will soon. Give it a couple of weeks of sitting at home... maybe a smell, maybe a sound, maybe a memory and it will all flash back and you’ll find yourself in Spain again but only in a daydream... then life will resume around you again but there will be a small smile at the corner of your lips and people around you will certainly be wondering what you’re thinking about... it won’t be long after that before you’re pouring over every new forum post, reviewing new guidebooks and actively searching out new, entirely unnecessary (but lighter, quicker drying, higher tech version) pieces of kit for your inevitable next Camino...! Buen next Camino!
OMG. This is me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Me too... but then I wonder why there are cows in downtown Manhattan.... and then I wonder why I’m in downtown Manhattan... I really need to focus on what I’m doing...

A sure sign we both need to quit our jobs......

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.