• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why do it Again?

Busybody

Time of past OR future Camino
Now french Way
I am not home yet after completing the Camino Frances at the end of October. I am taking some time out to reflect before getting home but while I have reflecting, I have been asking myself why would anyone want to do it again and again and again. Now you are home what is it that makes you want to go back? And I'm not talking about the people who just do a section each year until they have finished it. That I can completely understand but those who walked the whole thing or most of the time in one go. Why not do another trial or something different?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have done both: walked the Camino Frances several times and also walked other long-distance routes in Spain and several other countries. On the whole I prefer variety and new discoveries over the comfort of familiarity. My main reason for walking the Camino Frances more than once was to see how the pilgrimage experience had changed over the years. My first Camino Frances was in 1990, my second in 2002, and my third last year. A completely different experience each time despite covering the same ground. I think it is unlikely that I will walk the Camino Frances again for many years.

Because it is in my favourite country in the world : Spain.
Because I do need the simplicity of walking, just being in the moment and meeting wonderful people.
Because in no other country you can find pilgrim accomodations as in Spain.
Because for me as a European it is very simple to get to any part of departure in Spain.
Because I still have to discover so many more Camino routes and pueblos...
Because every year there will be a new Albariño or Rioja wine to taste.

Because there is no " whole thing or Camino ".

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My husband and I walked the Frances in 2015 to turn the page on our retirement. This was a Camino of exploration...

It was also a pilgrimage of reflection, prayer and penance. I joined the Catholic Church in 2016.

In 2016, the “Jubilee of Mercy”, we walked the Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome - to the Vatican.

We are walking the Frances again in 2018.

Why?

We loved sharing the experiece with so many other pilgrims.

Walking a familar, well marked route allows one to truly live in the moment and appreciate every step.

This is a Camino of praise and thanksgiving - and I’ll be able to fully participate in Mass and the sacraments along the way. I can’t wait!

There are so many ways to experience the Camino - an adventure is one of them.

For some of us, it’s a profoundly spiritual connection to the pilgrims who have walked before us.

And aren’t we blessed to have a Forum like this to learn about all the reasons we walk? Yay Ivar!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don’t think you understand the concept or definition of addiction! But my guess is that you will soon. Give it a couple of weeks of sitting at home... maybe a smell, maybe a sound, maybe a memory and it will all flash back and you’ll find yourself in Spain again but only in a daydream... then life will resume around you again but there will be a small smile at the corner of your lips and people around you will certainly be wondering what you’re thinking about... it won’t be long after that before you’re pouring over every new forum post, reviewing new guidebooks and actively searching out new, entirely unnecessary (but lighter, quicker drying, higher tech version) pieces of kit for your inevitable next Camino...! Buen next Camino!

My wife and I asked the same question when we walked in 2013. So many people were on their 2nd, 3rd, 6th Camino. Why?, we thought. This is a once in a lifetime experience. After being home for a while and getting back into the "rat race" at home, we started talking about Camino #2. We had actually planned on going this year, but the opportunity to go to Italy and to the Vatican to see Mother Theresa canonized as a saint came up. My wife always wanted to go to the Vatican and Rome, so the Camino is postponed for now. We will be back, the bug has been planted and my phone is ringing. . . gotta go and answer the call :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For me the main reasons for wanting to return are mainly practical. I love long distance walking and the lifestyle that comes with it. Walking a Camino has the perfect combination for someone like me
- A good infrastructure with inexpensive albergues, hostals
Places to eat and son on.
- Fellowtravellers, while most of the time I walk on my own, in the evening I like some nice company ( the Camino Frances though is "too much for me")
- I like Spain,the cities, the landscapes and last but not least the people and the language.
- I like the idea that I walk in the footsteps of millions of people before me.
In the eighties I was in Nepal 3 times. Trekking there was also very beautiful and had the same advantages ( except for the cities and the language) The landscape was fabulous.
If I was younger it would be a difficult choice between Spain and Nepal. Being nearly 70 and having had to interrupt my caminos 2 times I will choose Spain, because in Spain you are never far from a road and a fast connection to a "Centro medico".

"Le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing."
Pascal, Les Pensées

Perhaps the first post of my last camino explains best why I have walked the Camino Frances ten times; thus it may serve as my apologia.

I can't speak for others but all my caminos are different routes over the last 11 years.

My theory (at least for me) keep walking the camino is an escape from the real life to live in the simpler metaphor.

It is only during my fourth camino that I understood and began to make real life in the same simplicity as the camino. From then, my subsequent caminos became an adventure instead of an escape.

At least I walked different routes each time. Those that kept walking the Camino Frances may have an even bigger tendency for escape? Or maybe the tendency for interactions with other pilgrims? (Some routes are pretty quiet).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Whats the phrase "Bread once eaten soon forgotten" Camino once walked never fogotten. Its like an eternal drug that just drags you back and back. I never try to speculate as why I want to walk it again and again I kust think it is the whole unique experience of it for me. I try to put it into words but then I think just how do you describe the indiscribable, so I don't. I think when you walk it you just 'get it' no words needed or explanations. It's like a revelation that you just want to be a part of which sinks into your very core. The invited house guest who never wants to leave.

On first Camino, I met and walked with someone who had walked it three times. And I did ask 'WHY?' Why would anyone do that???

And yet, five years on...I have now walked the camino francés 3 times, he 6 or 7 times (I forget! :D) and....
Last year, when we were discussing what we would do next, that same camino was pulling hard at our heart strings!
Why? I have no idea!
@mspath has got it absolutely right with her quote.... :cool:

I would like to walk the VF again next year (God willing!) but I know
it'll be hard saying no to the Camino francés.... Whatever people say 'it's too crowded, full of tourists...blabla", whatever, I have not found it so. To me it still is magical.
But then, I 've only walked it three times ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am of the " return year after year to complete the next stage " brigade. Despite the blisters, accidents, difficulties etc we felt the need to keep returning until we'd reached Santiago and Finisterra. I have no desire to 're walk the CF but would like to do other routes. Life is short and there's still so much to discover.
Yes, the infrastructure on the CF is exceptional and a great training ground for other long distance walks.
I completed the CF in 2016. Feeling bereft this year I took myself off to walk 3 days alone on the Voie de Tours . Very beautiful, no other pilgrims apart from one encounter, completely different experience from the CF, however the CF experiences really served me well.

Last edited:
Because; 2001 first camino was to be last, but received divine deliverance from 9/11 via camino. So, in 2002 returned to give back; thanking God by working as hospitalera for 9/11 deliverance and walk again. That time was so miraculous, so fun, met so many terrific people ... 2004, well, had to volunteer again, then walk on. 2014, after ten years off camino called. I went during winter. It was cold, muddy, and miraculous. Now, I wish to walk another route as soon as possible if I walk alone. But, if I go with family or a friend we'll be on CF. So, they can experience the way most folks walk. Camino is an addiction for which I thank: God, Milky Way, Santiago, Fourteen Holy Helpers, Fate, and on and on and on.

Last edited:
Friends of ours that have never walked a Camino are baffled why we have been back to Spain and Portugal four years in a row.

Why they ask, don't you go to other European destinations? Or if we like hiking so much, why not go to Banff, or Jasper, Alberta which are literally in our back yard and has some of the most beautiful mountain scenery in the world? Or others ask why not the West Coast trail in BC, or Pacific coast trail or Appalachian trail?

Those that have not walked a Camino, really have no idea what it is like. I am not sure if many make much differentiation from this kind of travel versus a resort type holiday.

My best explanation always falls short of what a Camino and pilgrimage means to me. I try to explain the magic of a Camino, but if you have not been there, you simply don't get it.

€60,-
On this first Camino, I had some worries especially in the beginning. I was thinking of how fast could I walk, how far could I walk, how would I cope with this or that ascent or descent, etc. That meant that I didn’t always stop to enjoy places, views and sights, I had a feeling of being a little rushed. It eased off towards the end, but still…

When I go again – and I will- I think I will be more at ease so I can experience things that I missed this time and re-experience things that I remember with joy. That is my reason for wanting to return (beside the general “Camino-feeling”).

Friends of ours that have never walked a Camino are baffled why we have been back to Spain and Portugal four years in a row.

Why they ask, don't you go to other European destinations? Or if we like hiking so much, why not go to Banff, or Jasper, Alberta which are literally in our back yard and has some of the most beautiful mountain scenery in the world? Or others ask why not the West Coast trail in BC, or Pacific coast trail or Appalachian trail?

Those that have not walked a Camino, really have no idea what it is like. I am not sure if many make much differentiation from this kind of travel versus a resort type holiday.

My best explanation always falls short of what a Camino and pilgrimage means to me. I try to explain the magic of a Camino, but if you have not been there, you simply don't get it.
I totally agree. I have friends that ask me if I'll do the PCT, since it's practically in my back yard. But I'm not really a "hiker", and have no desire to camp out. For me, the Camino has just the right mix of long distance walking, scenery, culture and camaraderie to make it magical.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On this first Camino, I had some worries especially in the beginning. I was thinking of how fast could I walk, how far could I walk, how would I cope with this or that ascent or descent, etc. That meant that I didn’t always stop to enjoy places, views and sights, I had a feeling of being a little rushed. It eased off towards the end, but still…

When I go again – and I will- I think I will be more at ease so I can experience things that I missed this time and re-experience things that I remember with joy. That is my reason for wanting to return (beside the general “Camino-feeling”).

This echoes what I was contemplating when I felt called to walk the Camino Frances second time. See my post at:

I have returned from walking the Camino Frances the second time from Saint Jean Pied de Port to...

The second walk on the same route was a deeper experience as I was definitely more at ease. I saw more, absorbed more, enjoyed more. The general "Camino-feeling" was much deeper.

Buen Camino!
--jim--

I totally agree. I have friends that ask me if I'll do the PCT, since it's practically in my back yard. But I'm not really a "hiker", and have no desire to camp out. For me, the Camino has just the right mix of long distance walking, scenery, culture and camaraderie to make it magical.
So true for me, too. I have no interest in being a "true" backpacker on a long distance hike. I don't want to carry 30-40 pounds of gear, which includes a tent, a cooking pot, and a weeks worth of food before re-supplying them. Oh, and I have a fear/phobia of bears so intense it would ruin any pleasure to be had and every night's sleep...even if I never laid eyes on one the whole way! :eek::confused:

Last edited:
What shall I say , as already stated " why not ".

Started walking when I was young ;),
walked a lot in the Austrian Alpes (love those mountains) also walked along the Mosel , Eifel and the Ardennen.
At the time I know about the Camino but I was not interested in walk it.

It all changed when my wife Marianne said to me that she wanted to walk the Camino alone.
She got here gear together and started with the training walkes and I went training with here.
In this period her sister died but she was so determined to walk the Camino , of she went in late August 2013.
It was mentaly and phychical so hard for her that she got so sick just before Sarria that was so hartbreaking.

But she wanted to walk in to Santiago but she could not do anymore.

The year after I walked with her to finish her Camino that she started the year befoere in SJPdP .
And as a bonus we went to Finistere aswell.

Thats why the Camino is so different compare with other walkes.

I 'm more emotional because of the Camino,but thats a other story.

Wish everybody well and wonderful walkes for the coming years.

Maybe some of the above was of topic but I wanted to write it down anyway . :)

Some do it for sentimental reasons. Spain is the land of my ancestors [and my wife's ancestors too]. It feels really good to walk thru the town of my paternal grandmother, then 40 or 50 kilometers later it feels really good to walk thru the town of my maternal grandmother. Both towns in Galicia, both on the Camino Frances [to remain unnamed for privacy reasons]. Thanks for reading, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

"Le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing."
Pascal, Les Pensées

Perhaps the first post of my last camino explains best why I have walked the Camino Frances ten times; thus it may serve as my apologia.

Margaret, I got really confused when I followed the link to your apologia... with all the posts from 2015. I cannot say more than all the other members who have had the benefit of your ready and generous help and guidance. Merci, gracias, thank you.

For me the first camino was a spontaneous lark, thinking only to join a friend for two weeks of walking. I love to do that, and I had enjoyed Spain a lot the one time I'd been there, so why not? It was to be a one-off.
The joke is on me.

So there are many reasons for returning, from the purely mundane to things that are quite mysterious. And even those they may not be the deepest ones. Each camino shows new layers, so I keep walking. One day I'll know what's most deeply asking me to return over and over, but honestly? Not yet.

Oh, and edit...not least because it is an activity that has meaning. It's constantly changing, but that there is some kind of meaning is enough.

Last edited:

€60,-
My reasons for wanting to do a second time mirror many of those already stated here. I was invited to do the Frances and said "sure" and knew nothing about it besides it was walking a long distance. I rushed through the first half and didn't fully embrace the lifestyle until it was almost over. I did however make friends I feel like I'll have for the rest of my life. I think of it almost every day and smile. I wish to go again to slow down and enjoy it more. Meet even more people. The real challenge will be finding the time. I'm not sure there will ever be another 40 day window until much later in my life.

I always feel I could do it better: use my previous experience to carry less, to pack more appropriate gear, to plan better stages, to see more and to avoid rushing!

I read once when I was researching people's travel habits that people come in three categories regarding what kind of experiences (read holidays) they want:

New-New: Everything must be new, different, spectacular. Sensation-seekers, often risk-takers.

Old-Old: Everything the same as the last time, meeting the same people, eating the same food. Family holidays at the same place, little interest in learning something new.

Old-New: Doing something similar, but different enough that they notice and appreciate the difference.

I'm in the last category. I keep walking new Caminos, but I keep coming back to Spain.
That we lived in Spain for three years, and still have friends there, doesn't hurt: maintaining both language skills and friendships is a pleasure.
My husband asks me to add that eating all you want while steadily losing weight doesn't hurt, either.

but those who walked the whole thing or most of the time in one go. Why not do another trial or something different?

I think maybe could ask yourself, "Why wouldn't I do it again"
That might actually give you more answers.

Without getting into the whole debate of what makes a walk different from a Pilgrimage, I will keep going back because:

1. The Camino for me has a clear purpose. A hike anywhere else is merely a hike, and for me at least is a pointless pursuit.
  2. The whole mix of the Spiritual, Emotional and Physical challenges and discovery is what brings me back. I don't believe I can find quite the same thing anywhere else.
  3. The deep sense of history,the people, the Churches is all part of the mix for me.
The question I ask myself is "Why wouldn't I do it every year if I can"?

I'll be doing the CF again next year, only because I think it will suit my wife who is coming with me. It has the right balance of terrain, infrastructure, distance (long enough to be a) a real challenge and b) to allow enough time on the road to go through all the phases of discovery that occur).

I think based on my limited experience, for me at least, I need to be 'on the road' for a minimum of 3 weeks to gain the most from the experience. And as we walk slowly, St Jean to SDC gives us 6-7 weeks!

I expect to be doing lone Caminos again after that. I'll want to try different routes within Spain then.

Coming back to your original question........

If you find yourself asking "Why would I do this again"?..........maybe you didn't get what you expected from your first Camino.

I thought at first I would never do a 2nd, or 3rd or more. But for different reasons.
Because my 1st one was everything I could have possibly hoped for.
And to do another one would merely lead to disappointment. As it would only be 2nd best.

But like others, I'm finding that each is different and valuable in its own way.

If after a few months you don't find yourself thinking about your next Camino, that's fine. Maybe it's not for you ;)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
i dont mean to be pessimistic...some cant... i might die longing for why i havent done but a fact accepting that will keep me inspire contented from those generous pictures, videos, blogs or any means of media shared by those who actually done...thanks to them!

I understand everything you say. But, to me, the Camino is my avocation. I discovered it five years into retirement.

I live on a fixed income, albeit a fairly generous one. Once I determined that doing the Camino, supporting the Camino, and planning to do Camino gave my life purpose and focus, I adjusted my life priorities to fit this need.

When I had to replace a car a year ago, I bought the least expensive vehicle that met my basic needs. I have no one to impress, and have long outgrown my hormonal needs for cool cars.

Although we recently renovated a home, I have restrained the normal male impulse to fill my garage with a multitude of gadgets and tools that I will not need. Instead I borrow them from a neighbor or rent them.

I do not have children of my own, but I severely restricted my heretofore generous gift giving to nieces and nephews. Similarly, wedding gifts, etc. are more restrained. Whenever someone comments, rarely, I reply honestly, that we are living on a fixed income that is inelastic.

Also, having previously lived in Europe for several years, I have many friends there. In the past, pre-Camino, I would fly over once or twice a year just to visit for a week or so. Those sole-purpose trips are now in the past. If I can swing by for a few days while on a Camino trip, I will do so, but it is now optional. Funny thing...I made more than a dozen visit-only trips there, but my nearly two dozen friends have not opted to visit me in Florida yet, even in the winter. I am not reading anything into this, but parity would be nice.

Overall, I found that if I shaved a tad here and a scoshe there, after a while I had enough to fund one Camino trip. Budget differently, watch impulse shopping, plan travel very carefully and I saved enough for a second trip.

My point is that I rearranged my life and my finances to afford two Camino-centric trips annually. One is for the purpose of walking a Camino (2-4 weeks). The other, the sacrosanct one, is one month as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago.

I plan to do this as long as finances and my health permit. This fully realizes that the day will eventually come when I am not able to do these trips as I get older. So, I am doing it now, while I can manage to facilitate it.

If other trips are able to be funded, my wife and I also enjoy international travel.

Life is all about choices. I made mine. I simply made the Camino a priority and changed my budgeting and spending accordingly.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I understand everything you say. But, to me, the Camino is my avocation. I discovered it five years into retirement.

I live on a fixed income, albeit a fairly generous one. Once I determined that doing the Camino, supporting the Camino, and planning to do Camino gave my life purpose and focus, I adjusted my life priorities to fit this need.

When I had to replace a car a year ago, I bought the least expensive vehicle that met my basic needs. I have no one to impress, and have long outgrown my hormonal needs for cool cars.

Although we recently renovated a home, I have restrained the normal male impulse to fill my garage with a multitude of gadgets and tools that I will not need. Instead I borrow them from a neighbor or rent them.

I do not have children of my own, but I severely restricted my heretofore generous gift giving to nieces and nephews. Similarly, wedding gifts, etc. are more restrained. Whenever someone comments, rarely, I reply honestly, that we are living on a fixed income that is inelastic.

Also, having previously lived in Europe for several years, I have many friends there. In the past, pre-Camino, I would fly over once or twice a year just to visit for a week or so. Those sole-purpose trips are now in the past. If I can swing by for a few days while on a Camino trip, I will do so, but it is now optional. Funny thing...I made more than a dozen visit-only trips there, but my nearly two dozen friends have not opted to visit me in Florida yet, even in the winter. I am not reading anything into this, but parity would be nice.

Overall, I found that if I shaved a tad here and a scoshe there, after a while I had enough to find one Camino trip. Budget differently, watch impulse shopping, plan travel very carefully and I saved enough for a second trip.

My point is that I rearranged my life and my finances to afford two Camino-centric trips annually. One is for the purpose of walking a Camino (2-4 weeks). The other, the sacrosanct one, is one month as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago.

I plan to do this as long as finances and my health permit. This fully realizes that the day will eventually come when I am not able to do these trips as I get older. So, I am doing it now, while I can manage to facilitate it.

If other trips are able to be funded, my wife and I also enjoy international travel.

Life is all about choices. I made mine. I simply made the Camino a priority and changed my budgeting and spending accordingly.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for sharing the details of the choices you personally make that helps to fund your Camino trips. Hopefully I will have opportunity to meet you for coffee or lunch in March when I'll be in your area as we discussed some time ago.:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was just re reading all of these posts, and something seemed to emerge that is perhaps common amongst them all, if only in some small way.

OK this is just my view, perception and experience, but what seems to happen with 'repeat offenders' is that they experience life changing transformations to some degree.

It's almost like finding some new religion or way of life. The Camino way of life, that permeates many aspects of our lives. We may view the World differently post Camino, perhaps re-evaluate our priorities, reassess our core values, our purpose, how we want to travel through our life's journey.

Certainly in my case, my first Camino was the place I discovered myself and it caused me to re think many aspects of my life and how I interact with others and the World around me.

And maybe this is the interesting bit. At least in my own case, and I'm sure for many, a large part of the Camino 'transformation' effect is engaging with the people we meet along the way. As well of course as the physical environment we pass through.

In that sense for me, the CF is like an 800 km long 'church' where I get to think, ponder, have great deep discussions with complete strangers, meet and overcome challenges, experience a range of emotions that perhaps normally lie dormant.....

And so like devoutly religious people of many faiths, I like to spend time with 'my' community, people who seem to share my 'faith' (not necessarily in a religious sense of course, because we come from so many religions or without any 'formal' religion). But spending time with People who share my values, openness and hopes and dreams. A supportive environment that listens and gently guides, but does not judge.

In a sense, a large part of that 'church' is right here on the forum.

But my real 'Church' lies in Spain, outside, amongst the beautiful landscapes, in an environment so different from my own, that it almost forces me to operate in a different 'mode' from the day to day. It's there that I feel truly alive, and free, closer to our mother earth, and closer to my maker.

Why do I want to walk the Camino every year, if I can?

Simple.
Because it's my 'church'.
It's where I feel at home.
Where I feel most alive.
It feels like where I'm meant to be.
Where I feel most at peace.

One of my favourite Camino related quotes is from Hank Leukart's short film, 'To the End of the World'

How does it go?

The Camino is God's dream of how people should be when they are with each other.........

Why wouldn't you want to experience that............over and over and over........

Last edited:
Why do it Again?
Why not? Different pace; slow down compared to the first one; because it's there; because you now know the freedom of it; because you know more now.

I hear you bro, but disagree: Cars are important. But I'll gladly trade it in for another Camino fix, if necessary...;)

I wish you could see all the stuff I've sent to the garbage dump as completely unneccessary items in my life... One needs to realize what is important in life: The Camino is ranking high on my list, for many reasons, But I will not act as a teacher here; you'll have to find out for yourself.

Last edited:
I didn't think I would do it again until after being home in my house for a few weeks. I was lucky enough to have 2 kids who pushed me into doing it a second time and am so glad I did. Very different experience but with some of the same great parts. We do walk a lot of different places, most not nearly as busy as the Camino Frances, but there is something about it...Oh, and Spain has a way of getting into you even when you don't realize it did!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was just re reading all of these posts, and something seemed to emerge that is perhaps common amongst them all, if only in some small way.

OK this is just my view, perception and experience, but what seems to happen with 'repeat offenders' is that they experience life changing transformations to some degree.

It's almost like finding some new religion or way of life. The Camino way of life, that permeates many aspects of our lives. We may view the World differently post Camino, perhaps re-evaluate our priorities, reassess our core values, our purpose, how we want to travel through our life's journey.

Certainly in my case, my first Camino was the place I discovered myself and it caused me to re think many aspects of my life and how I interact with others and the World around me.

And maybe this is the interesting bit. At least in my own case, and I'm sure for many, a large part of the Camino 'transformation' effect is engaging with the people we meet along the way. As well of course as the physical environment we pass through.

In that sense for me, the CF is like an 800 km long 'church' where I get to think, ponder, have great deep discussions with complete strangers, meet and overcome challenges, experience a range of emotions that perhaps normally lie dormant.....

And so like devoutly religious people of many faiths, I like to spend time with 'my' community, people who seem to share my 'faith' (not necessarily in a religious sense of course, because we come from so may religions or without religion). People who share my values, openness and hopes and dreams. A supportive environment that listens and gently guides, but does not judge.

But my real 'Church' lies in Spain, outside, amongst the beautiful landscapes, in an environment so different from my own, that it almost forces me to operate in a different 'mode' from the day to day. It's there that I feel truly alive, and free, closer to our mother earth, and closer to my maker.

Simple.
Where I feel most alive.
Where I feel most at peace....

One of my favourite Camino related quotes is from Hank Leukart's short film, 'To the End of the World'

How does it go?

The Camino is God's dream of how people should be when they are with each other.........

Why wouldn't you want to experience that............over and over and over........
I am right there with you, brother.

And so like devoutly religious people of many faiths, I like to spend time with 'my' community, people who seem to share my 'faith' (not necessarily in a religious sense of course, because we come from so may religions or without religion). People who share my values, openness and hopes and dreams. A supportive environment that listens and gently guides, but does not judge.

Simple.
Where I feel most alive.
Where I feel most at peace....

How does it go?

Pascal, Les Pensées

Great thought. When I can afford it I'll be back. (Been there twice, want to return.)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have had friends and family ask me that. Why would I want to walk the Camino de Santiago again? I always find it a bit of an odd question as most that ask it have made multiple trips to same destinations on holidays. One friend that asked it has made more trips to Las Vegas than she can remember. Another visits New York City every year. Yet another does a ship's cruise every couple of years. That's just to name a few. So when they ask me why I want to walk the Camino de Santiago again I ask them why they want to go to NYC, or Las Vegas or a cruise, etc again. They answer that question by saying they enjoy those destinations and so look forward to going again and again. I tell them they just answered their own question.

I have had friends and family ask me that. Why would I want to walk the Camino de Santiago again? I always find it a bit of an odd question as most that ask it have made multiple trips to same destinations on holidays. One friend that asked it has made more trips to Las Vegas than she can remember. Another visits New York City every year. Yet another does a ship's cruise every couple of years. That's just to name a few. So when they ask me why I want to walk the Camino de Santiago again I ask them why they want to go to NYC, or Las Vegas or a cruise, etc again. They answer that question by saying they enjoy those destinations and so look forward to going again and again. I tell them they just answered their own question.

We are creatures of habit and maybe gravitate to where we feel comfortable. Nothing wrong with that.

Having said that though. Whilst I hope to walk a Camino every year, either with my wife or alone.....if I had limited time I might walk every other year.

There are far too other many places I want to see before I 'fall of my perch'..........

I tend to 'bribe' my dearly beloved. Let's walk a Camino, then afterwards we can go visit place X or place Y.
It's a very long trip for us to get to Spain so we try to make best use of it.

I have been asking myself why would anyone want to do it again and again and again.

Lesson Number 32 when I arrived in Santiago de Compostela the second time:
I am spiritually lost. Go and talk to St James; don’t forget to thank him for having arrived safely. Then next year, go back to the beginning, start again and learn something MEANINGFUL.
Jill

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
To quote Heraclitus of Ephesus:

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river, and he is not the same man."

It might be the same way according to the maps, but it's impossible to walk the same path twice. I repeated the Francés this year. It had felt like unfinished business the first time, and so it wasn't really a question which way to walk this year. I just knew it had to be the Francés again (in an "extended version", though).

There are so many reasons why people decide to walk at all (or not), to walk again (or not); so many different ways to choose from, seasons to walk in, places to stay at or walk through... so many factors. And somehow, most pilgrims seem to end up exactly on the way they need to walk, when they need to walk it, anyway.

Isn't it amazing?

I think maybe could ask yourself, "Why wouldn't I do it again"
That might actually give you more answers.

Without getting into the whole debate of what makes a walk different from a Pilgrimage, I will keep going back because:

1. The Camino for me has a clear purpose. A hike anywhere else is merely a hike, and for me at least is a pointless pursuit.
  2. The whole mix of the Spiritual, Emotional and Physical challenges and discovery is what brings me back. I don't believe I can find quite the same thing anywhere else.
  3. The deep sense of history,the people, the Churches is all part of the mix for me.
The question I ask myself is "Why wouldn't I do it every year if I can"?

I'll be doing the CF again next year, only because I think it will suit my wife who is coming with me. It has the right balance of terrain, infrastructure, distance (long enough to be a) a real challenge and b) to allow enough time on the road to go through all the phases of discovery that occur).

I think based on my limited experience, for me at least, I need to be 'on the road' for at least 3 weeks to gain the most from the experience. And as we walk slowly, St Jean to SDC gives us 6-7 weeks!

I expect to be doing lone Caminos again after that. I'll want to try different routes within Spain then.

Coming back to your original question........

If you find yourself asking "Why would I do this again"?..........maybe you didn't get what you expected from your first Camino.

I thought at first I would never do a 2nd, or 3rd or more. But for different reasons.
Because my 1st one was everything I could have possibly hoped for.
And to do another one would merely lead to disappointment. As it would only be 2nd best.

But like others, I'm finding that each is different and valuable in its own way.

If after a few months you don't find yourself thinking about your next Camino, that's fine. Maybe it's not for you ;)
Thumbs up, and ditto from me. You expressed many of my own feelings so well! Thanks for your poignant reply.

I am not home yet after completing the Camino Frances at the end of October. I am taking some time out to reflect before getting home but while I have reflecting, I have been asking myself why would anyone want to do it again and again and again. Now you are home what is it that makes you want to go back? And I'm not talking about the people who just do a section each year until they have finished it. That I can completely understand but those who walked the whole thing or most of the time in one go. Why not do another trial or something different?
I agree with all the replies and add one little part: I have begun discovering who I really am on my first Camino. I’ve learned a little more on the second. I’m now planning my third as I’m finally accepting who I am and have been, through time, through kilometers and through other people’s smiles. Gratitude.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Because it is in my favourite country in the world : Spain.
Because I do need the simplicity of walking, just being in the moment and meeting wonderful people.
Because in no other country you can find pilgrim accomodations as in Spain.
Because for me as a European it is very simple to get to any part of departure in Spain.
Because I still have to discover so many more Camino routes and pueblos...
Because every year there will be a new Albariño or Rioja wine to taste.

Because there is no " whole thing or Camino ".
Love doing the camino.

The night before I returned home from my first Camino Frances a French pilgrim I'd just met told me that I would return. I protested that this was a one off for me. I am presently considering my fourth. Maybe Via de la Plata. The experience, the people, the spirit, the country, the Camino. Thought I was done. Feel like I've just begun!

You will find out in 3,6,9 months when you can't stop talking about it and thinking about it. Your friends will tire of the topic but you just can't help yourself.

I've walked the Frances and Portuguese. Not a week goes by that I don't think about walking from Le Puy to Finisterre.

Buen Camino. Bom Caminho. Bon Chemin

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Yes, exactly. I only allowed myself 35 days and always felt like I was rushing. I met some lovely people while walking, only to have to say goodbye when they stopped earlier than I could. Î thought I walked rather fast at 2.5 - 3 miles per hour with a pack but 15+ miles a day takes all day and I had to miss exploring a lot of towns. It would be a lovely journey to just stop anywhere at any time. And then there was the Sept- October bed rush, which was a real thing this fall.

I have one reason to return right now. I failed the first time due to injury.

However, the second time will be due to the prolonged, meditative beauty of the Caminos in Spain. And let's face it. Few places in the World can offer the charm, beauty and infrastructure for self determined touring.

Finally, Heaven is where you find it for yourelf.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That was my question until I completed the CF. I am doing the Portugues route next, and then plan to move to Spain, Astorga maybe. Why do it again (and again)? Seeing and feeling the love that I encounter in a way that makes the Creator's meaning of that word Crystal clear to me like no other time in my life. It is certainly more than that, but I find no words to express the depth of it. I suspect that you will discover Your answer in time. Buen camino.

Best reply was 'why not?' - no one is going to top that.

Friends of mine often ask me why I would do the same camino again and why do I keep going back to countries like New Zealand to hike. Well I think a lot depends on how much time you have on your hands. In a semi-retired state, I tend to have a lot of spare time. I keep going back to countries likes NZ to hike because it has a world class track and hut system that is not found anywhere else on the planet, all in a small and very safe country (no predators for us!).

Similarly with the Camino, it offers something quite unique. The infrastructure is unbeatable, as is the variety of people you meet.

People that often criticize others for doing the same walks, same trips etc are probably cash rich and time poor, so I understand. If they managed to sort out their work/life balance, then they'd probably see things differently.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

However, the second time will be due to the prolonged, meditative beauty of the Caminos in Spain. And let's face it. Few places in the World can offer the charm, beauty and infrastructure for self determined touring.

Yes see the beauty of the Camino,and interact with the pergrinos for me is the best part.

All the replies are correct, of course. But maybe the question is wrong... ;)

I will NEVER do the Camino again. The first Camino was, for me, truly amazing. Much of what has been said/written above echoes a lot of my experiences along the way: the solitude in Belgium and France in winter, the camaraderie in Spain, the friendly people and helping hands you meet when you most need them, the sense of achievement after a particularly cold/hard/wet/whatever day, et cetera. Whatever else it was, it was a once in a lifetime experience.

Now having said that I'll never do the Camino again, I must also admit that I will, if all goes well, try and do a couple more Camino's. Which might sound somewhat contradictory. o_O

I think I can explain, though. For me 'doing it again' suggests something an 'old-old' sort of traveller would do:

I read once when I was researching people's travel habits that people come in three categories regarding what kind of experiences (read holidays) they want:

New-New: Everything must be new, different, spectacular. Sensation-seekers, often risk-takers.

Old-Old: Everything the same as the last time, meeting the same people, eating the same food. Family holidays at the same place, little interest in learning something new.

Old-New: Doing something similar, but different enough that they notice and appreciate the difference.

I'm not into this 'old-old' kind of thinking. Trying to repeat an experience can only result in disappointment, because 'again' implies expectations that you'd really like to be met. Which probably won't happen... I'm actually more of a 'new-new' kind of guy (though not necessarily a risk taker...) who can thoroughly enjoy the 'old-new' as well.

The real beauty in being out there is all the new experiences, unexpected encounters, and surprisingly moving moments that the world keeps throwing at you. And to me, the ancient roads to Santiago just happen to deliver these experiences in abundance. So no, I'm not going to try to relive the experience, and yes, if all goes well I'll be on some camino or other quite a few more times.

All the replies are correct, of course. But maybe the question is wrong... ;)

I will NEVER do the Camino again. The first Camino was, for me, truly amazing. Much of what has been said/written above echoes a lot of my experiences along the way: the solitude in Belgium and France in winter, the camaraderie in Spain, the friendly people and helping hands you meet when you most need them, the sense of achievement after a particularly cold/hard/wet/whatever day, et cetera. Whatever else it was, it was a once in a lifetime experience.

Now having said that I'll never do the Camino again, I must also admit that I will, if all goes well, try and do a couple more Camino's. Which might sound somewhat contradictory. o_O

I think I can explain, though. For me 'doing it again' suggests something an 'old-old' sort of traveller would do:

I'm not into this 'old-old' kind of thinking. Trying to repeat an experience can only result in disappointment, because 'again' implies expectations that you'd really like to be met. Which probably won't happen... I'm actually more of a 'new-new' kind of guy (though not necessarily a risk taker...) who can thoroughly enjoy the 'old-new' as well.

The real beauty in being out there is all the new experiences, unexpected encounters, and surprisingly moving moments that the world keeps throwing at you. And to me, the ancient roads to Santiago just happen to deliver these experiences in abundance. So no, I'm not going to try to relive the experience, and yes, if all goes well I'll be on some camino or other quite a few more times.

Ys every camino is diferent, diferente places,diferente pergrinos. I will never get tired of walking the camino ,walked 3 caminos,well the last one only 2 days as my knee went,but cant wait to go to another one.
Buen camino

Hi Busybody, it is very hard to explain why without having lots of negative response now days. Apparently there is different motivation for it, for me is only the will to go and pay my respect to James, ( this year has been my longest, 97 days for the 3300 Km and this is my 6th ). My intimate and foolish wish was to go to Peter in Rome, collect his greetings and deliver them to James in Santiago the Compostela, as every year is what mentally I promised myself to do, specially as they used to know each other and they did work together, and this I have now DONE!. You don't have to be Catholic to walk the various camino to get there, but I am, even if I'm not a church goer, but since I was a child I was taught the significant importance of the 12 Apostles and as I have learn that we got 2 in Europe (Peter & James ) and that is enough for me , I don't intend to build any record but only to make it harder, the harder it is the more happy and rewarding it is for James and not for me. For some people it's a holiday, for me it is like a mission, if I wanted to holiday I would do something different, like spending may time and money perhaps at the Caribbean. Every time I only walk to get there, I don't stop to visit all the beautiful villages and town that i encounter on the way, but if I found on the way something which interests me, then I could eventually one day go back to that particular region and stay a week for visiting.( Please remember this is only my reason for the pilgrimage, you can do what you like obvious)
Ultreya and Buen Camino

Last edited:
You pose a great question I also asked myself during the last week of my Camino Frances trip this Spring. Ask your question again about 4-8 weeks after you return home and the experience sinks in and you might be able to answer it yourself. :)

Another person who posted on this forum a few months ago had a great explanation why to walk the Camino. Her thoughts can also apply to why you would do it again. I can't locate her brilliant short video posted on this forum but here is the link to Vimeo

I can't wait to walk the CF again someday and I still don't fully understand why (perhaps to be alone, for space, to stop distracting myself, to experience simple community, to feel again, etc.) I just have to do it again. Cheers!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For me the main reasons for wanting to return are mainly practical. I love long distance walking and the lifestyle that comes with it. Walking a Camino has the perfect combination for someone like me
- A good infrastructure with inexpensive albergues, hostals
Places to eat and son on.
- Fellowtravellers, while most of the time I walk on my own, in the evening I like some nice company ( the Camino Frances though is "too much for me")
- I like Spain,the cities, the landscapes and last but not least the people and the language.
- I like the idea that I walk in the footsteps of millions of people before me.
In the eighties I was in Nepal 3 times. Trekking there was also very beautiful and had the same advantages ( except for the cities and the language) The landscape was fabulous.
If I was younger it would be a difficult choice between Spain and Nepal. Being nearly 70 and having had to interrupt my caminos 2 times I will choose Spain, because in Spain you are never far from a road and a fast connection to a "Centro medico".

It's like finding and falling in love with a good woman. Why go looking for another when you have found the perfect companion in life. I just love it. The mountains that nearly kill me, the meseta that burns me dry, the rain, the wind and the sun, the pain exhaustion and joy. The snow on the Pyrenees, the smell of the eucalyptus forests and the sounds of rivers and animals. The camaraderie, the peace and the freedom. The dark of early morning then the beauty of the sunrise. Why would anyone not want to do all that again

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's like finding and falling in love with a good woman. Why go looking for another when you have found the perfect companion in life. I just love it. The mountains that nearly kill me, the meseta that burns me dry, the rain, the wind and the sun, the pain exhaustion and joy. The snow on the Pyrenees, the smell of the eucalyptus forests and the sounds of rivers and animals. The camaraderie, the peace and the freedom. The dark of early morning then the beauty of the sunrise. Why would anyone not want to do all that again

You just missed out the enchanted moment when you arrive at the cathedral and climb the little step that enable you finally to embrace James at the back of the altar and to prey for few moment under where you can find the sarcophagus of saint James the Apostle James, thanking him to have looked after you safely on your pilgrimage, (which is the reason why you just accomplished it). Is it ????.

Last edited:
I sometimes wish I could write a poem.

Because the longer it grows since my Camino, the more my head seems to fill up with sensations and pictures of narrow, dust covered paths leading into the horizon under a blue sky; green hillsides with shadows of drifting clouds; winding roads blurred with early morning haze; dirt paths through quiet forests. Sounds of heavy breaths on steep ascents; crunching sounds of boots on gravel; sounds of pilgrims chatting, laughing, and saying “buen camino”. Silent moments in an old chapel by the roadside. Visions of warm evenings with food, wine and conversation. The good feeling of healthy tiredness after long days on the road.

I guess I have to go back…

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just wanted to be a part of this thread. First Camino 2011, since then ... Portugal, France, back to Spain (CF), Italy, Scotland, England, Vietnam, Peru, back to Spain (VDLP). Currently dreaming of my next walk but always driven from my first Camino. It is part of me and I hope to return to the trail every year, be it a new trail or the old charmer. I could try to explain why I go but just don't have the words.

That was the questions I asked myself the first time I walked el Camino frances. But I did it again and again (always from St Jean) To my surprise, the same route but there was always different in many ways, I cannot tell myself or anybody why I did the same Camino so many times, there was like a "calling". I sort of missed the route, very strange indeed. Hardly I got home, I started thinking about the route again. Until one day I stopped thinking about it and now I am looking to walk a different Camino this coming year.

You just missed out the enchanted moment when you arrive at the cathedral and climb the little step that enable you finally to embrace James at the back of the altar and to prey for few moment under where you can find the sarcophagus of saint James the Apostle James, thanking him to have looked after you safely on your pilgrimage, (which is the reason way you just accomplished it). Is it ????.
Hugging a statue does nothing for me but kneeling before the reliquary of a man who walked with, talked with, ate and drank with Jesus is, to say the least, truly awesome. To think his mortal remains are almost within touching distance astounds me. I know many say its a myth, it is not really him, but I am a believer, otherwise, its just a long walk that I probably would not have repeated and plan to go back in 2018. So, yes, it is as you say 'an enchanted moment'

Hugging a statue does nothing for me but kneeling before the reliquary of a man who walked with, talked with, ate and drank with Jesus is, to say the least, truly awesome. To think his mortal remains are almost within touching distance astounds me. I know many say its a myth, it is not really him, but I am a believer, otherwise, its just a long walk that I probably would not have repeated and plan to go back in 2018. So, yes, it is as you say 'an enchanted moment'

Do you know tpmchugh, the first time & year for the 10 second I hugged James; that was the moment my body released all the misery, pain, suffering, that he went trough during my pelgrimage and (I'm glad I din't ) strongly was going to burst into tears.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Do you know tpmchugh, the first time & year for the 10 second I hugged James; that was the moment my body released all the misery, pain, suffering, that he went trough during my pelgrimage and (I'm glad I din't ) strongly was going to burst into tears.
All my releases happened when I stood in front of the cathedral for the first time. I bawled my eyes out, then I cried at mass and down in the crypt and went to mass and cried again. Went back two years later and cried all over again then last year going through the Holy Door it happened again. Obradoiro seems to do it for me :)

All my releases happened when I stood in front of the cathedral for the first time. I bawled my eyes out, then I cried at mass and down in the crypt and went to mass and cried again. Went back two years later and cried all over again then last year going through the Holy Door it happened again. Obradoiro seems to do it for me :)

I'm very plase for you, keep it up!!

Ultreya :)

I walked to Leon, then due to injury could walk no more.
I did not fail, you did not fail. We both walked.
Distance does not count.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I also have done several Caminos, 12, with 6from Pamplona to Santiago. It has been interesting to watch the development of Northern Spain and the economic changes, but I am going to branch out to France and Italy and do shorter sections. The Camino is a great journey, however one does it! Susu60

Simply because it’s fun. Next time for me is Camino Del Norte March 2018 .

Before doing my 2016 Camino Francis, my first, I never dreamt of going back. Reading this forum beforehand...I just couldn't understand why people are drawn back over and over. Then I did it...on my third day I was in so much pain I thought I'd quit. A group of pilgrims I'd met and been travelling on and off with....were waiting for me as I walked into Zubiri....limping, crying defeated. They cheered for me. Talked me through the pain emotional and physical. I donated a great deal from my backpack that day...even my Camino guide...nothing was so important to carry that would prevent me from moving forward. Later at dinner a young German fellow I'd met earlier in the day while walking...came over and said I needed a big German hug....and encouraged and congratulated me on making it and going on. I battled so much emotional and Physical pain during my Camino experience. With Lipedema, Multiple Sclerosis and now newly diagnosed Babasia a co Lyme disease...which the onset by timing of symptoms from July 1998. All are debilitating pain diseases.
Yet I felt more authenticly me on my Camino. I wasn't yielding to the needs of my 5 children, my 6 grandchildren or my wonderful husband. It was for the first time in 52 years I was walking purely for me. Dealing with my needs...all my diagnosis..the M.S. and skin Cancer the previous year. I felt embraced by the Camino. Even with my baggage I could encourage and assist fellow pilgrims as they did me. Life was pure....simple.....challenges great...but therefore the rewards were as well. If you fully give yourself to the experience...it's very freeing and healing.
Now I pray to return and walk it again.
Buen Camino
My wonderful, thoughtful
Camino family

I've done three routes, and I can tell you that nothing brings the spirit of the Camino out in full force like the Camino Frances. It's the most popular, you meet the most people, and it's the least expensive.

Incidentally, after I went to Finesterre, I turned south and walked down the Spanish and Portuguese coast to Fatima. That was an experience, but it still didn't beat the French way.

Sometimes we can think too much

Penny,
Meeting you on the Camino was great! You seemed so strong even after you told Janet and I about your struggles. Your bravery and strength are examples for others to emulate.

I have to return and be a Camino repeater. This time we will be serving as hospitaleros.

When you are able to return to the Camino, please share with us so we can be with you in spirit and hopefully when you share in the forum.

Buen Camino!

Penny,
Meeting you on the Camino was great! You seemed so strong even after you told Janet and I about your struggles. Your bravery and strength are examples for others to emulate.

I have to return and be a Camino repeater. This time we will be serving as hospitaleros.

When you are able to return to the Camino, please share with us so we can be with you in spirit and hopefully when you share in the forum.

Buen Camino!
I loved meeting both of you as well. Some of my precious memories. I pray to return and when I do you'll all know. Goodluck and best wishes on your return.
Hugs

This made me laugh.....once The Camino is in your blood it's a bond. The CF in 2016, my partners' bilateral knee replacements in 2017.....now its the Del Norte in 2018.....What an fantastic place this forum is, all contributors resonate with my feelings on this amazing journey. Yes I've been to NYC, loved it so much but won't go back...same with Inca trail, Galapagos Islands, Myanmar, Transmongolian railway...been there, done that, loved them. But, the Camino! 7 weeks of walking every day is somehow an addiction to just being in the moment with nothing else to clutter the mind except for hoping to get a bed at the end of the day, hoping the feet don't get too sore ....oh I think that's all I worried about!!! May 2018 can't come soon enough. Buen Camino

My husband and I walked the Frances in 2015 to turn the page on our retirement. This was a Camino of exploration...

It was also a pilgrimage of reflection, prayer and penance. I joined the Catholic Church in 2016.

In 2016, the “Jubilee of Mercy”, we walked the Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome - to the Vatican.

We are walking the Frances again in 2018.

Why?

We loved sharing the experiece with so many other pilgrims.

Walking a familar, well marked route allows one to truly live in the moment and appreciate every step.

This is a Camino of praise and thanksgiving - and I’ll be able to fully participate in Mass and the sacraments along the way. I can’t wait!

There are so many ways to experience the Camino - an adventure is one of them.

For some of us, it’s a profoundly spiritual connection to the pilgrims who have walked before us.

And aren’t we blessed to have a Forum like this to learn about all the reasons we walk? Yay Ivar!
When are you planning for your Camino in 2018?

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back