• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why do People Walk the Camino - with Ivar Rekve (who shares a Secret!)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, thank you for this series. I note that you have excellent lighting conditions Robo - what is the secret?

It's not that hard really, well I guess it's all relative.
I do a lot of videos and webinars (very amateur) from my desk, so it's actually permanently set up like a studio.
As is my living room, whilst I work from home :rolleyes:

This was just recorded on my PC (Zoom) using a webcam.

But for lighting, I have:

1 main light (softbox) at about 45 degrees and above.
1 reflector (in place of a fill light) at about 45 degrees on the other side.
1 'hair light' softbox above and behind me.

A 'classic' studio setup really.

So it's 2 very cheap video lights with softboxes and stands (maybe $70 each) and a reflector (about $30).

You could get close to the same effect if you had good window light at about 45 degrees probably.

Hope that makes sense.

I can PM more detail if you need it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's not that hard really, well I guess it's all relative.
I do a lot of videos and webinars (very amateur) from my desk, so it's actually permanently set up like a studio.
As is my living room, whilst I work from home :rolleyes:

This was just recorded on my PC (Zoom) using a webcam.

But for lighting, I have:

1 main light (softbox) at about 45 degrees and above.
1 reflector (in place of a fill light) at about 45 degrees on the other side.
1 'hair light' softbox above and behind me.

A 'classic' studio setup really.

So it's 2 very cheap video lights with softboxes and stands (maybe $70 each) and a reflector (about $30).

You could get close to the same effect if you had good window light at about 45 degrees probably.

Hope that makes sense.

I can PM more detail if you need it.
You are very kind to offer more details. I will try to see what I can do. I use a MacBook air normally, though occasionally I use an ipad. I don’t like the ipad, I prefer the control I can get on the laptop. I open a daily zoom meeting at 7pm Gmt, with a closed group, and we share a silent moment focussing on the frontline workers who are caring for those in danger because of corona virus, Covid19. Our focus is not optimum lighting, but I would like to try to improve the effect, as it makes the experience much more pleasant when I see how sharp and clear yours is. Anyway, once more, thanks for these little cameos, they are short and sweet, and informative.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wonderful interview. Brings memories flooding in of the most amazing experience of my life as a 70+ year old from Australia who was brought down twice once with bad health and once from the soul destroying cold temperatures and wet days my shorts and t-shirts were inadequate for but who still wants to come back one more time........

Enjoyed the interview very much, thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You are very kind to offer more details. I will try to see what I can do. I use a MacBook air normally, though occasionally I use an ipad. I don’t like the ipad, I prefer the control I can get on the laptop. I open a daily zoom meeting at 7pm Gmt, with a closed group, and we share a silent moment focussing on the frontline workers who are caring for those in danger because of corona virus, Covid19. Our focus is not optimum lighting, but I would like to try to improve the effect, as it makes the experience much more pleasant when I see how sharp and clear yours is. Anyway, once more, thanks for these little cameos, they are short and sweet, and informative.

In that case, just make sure you have good light, natural from a window if possible, or a lamp of some kind. From the front or side. Not behind you or it looks like one of those silhouette criminal interviews! And try to get the webcam at eye level.

Was that "the secret"?
I think the "secret" was that Ivar hasn't walked the Camino. I think I heard Ivar say this in another video, so it wasn't really a secret. It is surprising, though, considering that Ivar has played such a significant role in this community.

He needs to walk it! And then stay home with the child while his wife walks it. (I've seen families with small children doing the camino, but it looks a lot more heroic than i would ever attempt.)

Ivar, as soon as it is feasible and safe for you, please walk the Camino. 👍

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
80,000 on this forum, that’s staggering! I had to listen again to make sure I heard you right Rob. Congratulations Ivar, that’s worth celebrating! A good jobs bars are open again. ;)

Oh my God - Ivar has never walked the Camino, thought he had already done ALL the routes😄😄😄 lol!!!!
Enjoyed the interview ROBO - must tune into the other videos, thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back