• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why do pilgrims carry on when it is really hard?

I can't speak for others, but in my case it was about three things in particular. The pain of discomfort, in my case 14 days of shin splints, was a challenge that enabled me to connect to deeper emotions of pain. This helped me release some deeply felt anxiety and grief.

1. My mum had passed away 5 years previously, she was born in Spain close to Villafranca del Bierzo. I had a need to express my sadness at her passing, so doing it with my feet along a route that would pass through the area where she was born seemed to be the way to go. She had grown up in poverty and then lost her father when she was just 5 years of age. She had to suffer the brutality of the Spanish Civil War. Although I grew up hearing about her experiences, I had never really connected with the emotion of what she lived through. Knowing the Camino would be difficult, I felt it would at least help me connect with some of her past and above all feel her spirit - and it did this in ways I was truly unprepared for, but extremely grateful for.

2. My own life had recently been thrown a curved ball in January 2017, when I was diagnosed with Colon Cancer, so I felt the need to prove to myself or at least test myself. I had a successful operation but the follow up chemotherapy for 6 months took away a lot of my energy and self - confidence. On moving to Spain from the UK one month after finishing chemotherapy took a big toll on me. I wasn't working and a kind of depression set in. I battled to shake it off in the coming months, with the support of my wife and by getting back into practising Tai Chi. Then an opening appeared to walk the Camino Francés in September 2018. The moments of quiet reflection, despite being a talkative person, enabled me to process what had happened to me and rediscover the real spirit within me once again. The lack of sleep, discomfort and niggling injuries wore down the false bravado and I began to melt into a softness and sweetness that started to nourish my body and soul, it was the perfect antidote to the toxic chemotherapy treatment and all the psychological damage that followed.

3. I had become isolated on moving to Spain without a job and going through my post-cancer struggles, so walking and listening to others who had their own stories of tragedy and disillusion somehow helped me wake up from my feelings of self-pity. Also, those pilgrims I met who were full of energy made me laugh and smile a lot, they helped me value how precious it is to be alive and still have dreams.

So, without following a particular faith, the pilgrimage experience is something that helps heal pain, although part of that process is to feel pain. On the Camino our pain can be shared, expressed, released and understood better. On feeling the physical pain on the Camino the emotional pain is buried deep inside our heart (and stored as tension in our mind and body), so it starts to find a route to the surface in order to be heard, felt, acknowledged and finally released. In our daily lives we often have to behave a certain way, keep up an image of composure or control, so the grief and pain that may have befallen us gets buried, where it often can create illness and further harm. As we push ourselves to overcome all these things while on the Camino we find something rouses our spirit to awaken from it's sorry slumber or it's compliant obedience to what's expected of it. Slowly, slowly, step by step, transformation starts to take place. The joy and creativity lies just the other side of the pain; by pushing through, day after day, we start to glimpse the light the other side of the darkness and we start to become sources of light ourselves. At least, that's how it made me feel about it.
Thank you MarkyD This puts an entirely different light on this thread and resonated with some things that I, and many others I am sure, feel about how the Camino addresses our lives

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've been following this thread for a while.

I am intrigued to see that it evolved into the question of why pilgrims in general carry on while suffering. When the original post clearly asked why non-religious pilgrims carry on.

It made it sound as if non-religious pilgrims are an anomaly on the Camino; as if religious drivers are so natural and self-evident that the contrary has to be studied in awe and carefully explained. I really thought it was a strange thing to ask.

I don't get why so many departed from the original question.

/BP
Exactly my first impression when I read the question! You don't have to ascribe to religion in order to experience obstacles, experience suffering, carry on. It's the human condition that drives us, not organized religion. Organized religion doesn't exempt me from being human.

Why assume walking into Santiago have more meaning for a catholic, than say, a than a non-Catholic...is my query?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly my first impression when I read the question! You don't have to ascribe to religion in order to experience obstacles, experience suffering, carry on. It's the human condition that drives us, not organized religion. Religion doesn't exempt me from being very human, from having obstacles, deep emotions.

Why assume walking into Santiago have more meaning for a catholic, than say, a than a non-Catholic...is my query?
Beware: This is a sensitive subject to some people. I have already been called "almost troll-like" and "an angry person" by some honorable members in a less than flattering PM 😂😂! (Almost troll-like? Isn't that an oxymoron?) I suggest you tread carefully on this one buddy 😁!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My memory of why I carried on way back in the year five, my first Camino, was anger. I had a motorcycle accident when very young and still have a duff knee. I walked from Moissac to Logrono (or rather, some miles before Logrono) and the knee finally gave out (I didn't know about McDavid hinged knee braces then!). Worse, it made me so unstable in the pain that I fell and twisted my ankle on the same leg.
There was a stream, so after a while of doing and saying all the things we do when hurt I put my foot into it, way past the ankle - was so cold but I held it there for some while, then laced my boots back on super-tight (I wore boots back then). I stood and walked slowly but normally - (first aid tip - when hurt always walk normally!) and stayed overnight, then the next day I went to Decathlon and bought the cheapest klunker of a bicycle they had. Woman's frame, heavy, I had a rack put on it, went back and booked another night in another refugio and next day strapped my pack onto the bike and carried on westwards.

The anger? I had walked halfway, some 320 miles, and I wasn't going to let a duff knee stop me from getting to Santiago. NOTHING would stop me getting to the cathedral. I had worked out that with a bike my knee would move only in two dimensions and I could cope with that, it was the three dimension swivelling that brought the trauma.

I am almost ashamed to write this but I did not pray to God for help, or to ask why, or even to complain! I was filled with adrenaline and, honestly, anger (not at anyone else but at me and my failure and at my frail and damaged body) - I had made no promises to anyone, so no expectations, no prayers to carry with me - and so I cycled, and each day I improved, and I became lonely as on a bicycle you never ever meet the same pilgrims ever again - except sometimes other cyclists and back then they were all crazy adrenaline junkies - and some 320 miles later I arrived in Santiago and went to get my Compostela, all strong and brave and successful in having completed regardless of the odds and also rather opinionated and then was gently and softly asked "and why did you travel the Camino?" and to my utter utter surprise I fell into floods of tears, deep deep tears .... and my eyes were opened, like a dark veil being removed .. and I surrendered, and I was hooked, utterly utterly hooked.

So my story - you may call it stubbornness, or dedication, or someone else in control, but to me at the time (until the pilgrim's office) it felt like anger.

So my reasons. ;)
You have answered your own original question.

Beware: This is a sensitive subject to some people. I have already been called "almost troll-like" and "an angry person" by some honorable members in a less than flattering PM 😂😂! (Almost troll-like? Isn't that an oxymoron?) I suggest you tread carefully on this one buddy 😁!

But you posed a perfectly reasonable question...why did no one catch the "non-religious" pilgrim thing? As if we don't have deep mysteries living within ourselves as well? I'm not talking about faith, which is far more broad, personal and expansive. Most of the responses illustrated my point though...no one talked about religion per se, but of their common human experiences. And proves that walking the camino is one of those experiences that transcend religious affiliation.

PS The words "faith" and "religion" can be used interchangeably, doesn't mean they have the same meaning. Religion is a social and cultural system, faith is much more personal, maybe being loyal and trusting in a belief or....religion? ex: My gramma was Irish Catholic (religion) and clung to her beliefs (faith) during hard times.

ok maybe I did open a can of worms. lol

If I could respond to Bad Pilgrim and truenorthpilgrim? Perhaps clarify?

I thought my post was both simple and clear and was written to encourage responses. What cannot be denied is that the Camino is a Catholic pilgrimage to the remains of St James, and always has been.
My point was that Catholics have a tradition that is nearly 1200 years old that they follow.
The goal is to arrive at the remains of St James and whatever difficulties and pain are encountered along the way are inherent, a part of that pilgrimage. .... if it becomes too much they can pray for help, rest, then carry on - this is clear.
Surrender to God and responding to a calling are the same thing, just couched in different terms.

So my question - without that Catholic framework and no religious need nor desire to get to the remains of the saint, what encourages non religious pilgrims to carry on?

Think of it like this .... visiting Mecca (yes, I know non-Muslims cannot, but put that aside) ... if a non religious arrived after walking a few hundred miles through desert, thirst, blisters, attacked by wild creatures, but arrived - would a Muslim not ask "but why did you persevere?".
Or the great holy gathering at the Ganges - would a Hindu not look at you slightly bemused and ask why you had carried on and not turned back?

So my question - I already knew the answer for myself but thought it would be a good post for discussion.

It really is very simple - a Catholic on pilgrimage, on a Catholic pilgrimage, dedicated to arriving at the remains of St James knows why they carry on - so why do the non-religious carry on?
And most of the responses above beautifully answer that question, don't you think?

p.s. - I know people have different beliefs about everything and my post was not intended to upset anyone, merely to ask a simple question, a question that has produced some utterly wonderful responses.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
According to some studies** on the pilgrimage, some were for enlightenment but some were also for punishment, either set by the Inquisition or even a judicial punishment (for murder).

Again according to these studies, the Compostelle was a means of showing the pilgrimage had been completed and the punishment taken.

Views on the purpose of pilgrimage, like most views, are tempo-centric.

**https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/057121293X/?tag=casaivar-21

If I could respond to Bad Pilgrim and truenorthpilgrim? Perhaps clarify?

I thought my post was both simple and clear and was written to encourage responses. What cannot be denied is that the Camino is a Catholic pilgrimage to the remains of St James, and always has been.
My point was that Catholics have a tradition that is nearly 1200 years old that they follow.
The goal is to arrive at the remains of St James and whatever difficulties and pain are encountered along the way are inherent, a part of that pilgrimage. .... if it becomes too much they can pray for help, rest, then carry on - this is clear.
Surrender to God and responding to a calling are the same thing, just couched in different terms.

So my question - without that Catholic framework and no religious need nor desire to get to the remains of the saint, what encourages non religious pilgrims to carry on?

Think of it like this .... visiting Mecca (yes, I know non-Muslims cannot, but put that aside) ... if a non religious arrived after walking a few hundred miles through desert, thirst, blisters, attacked by wild creatures, but arrived - would a Muslim not ask "but why did you persevere?".
Or the great holy gathering at the Ganges - would a Hindu not look at you slightly bemused and ask why you had carried on and not turned back?

So my question - I already knew the answer for myself but thought it would be a good post for discussion.

It really is very simple - a Catholic on pilgrimage, on a Catholic pilgrimage, dedicated to arriving at the remains of St James knows why they carry on - so why do the non-religious carry on?
And most of the responses above beautifully answer that question, don't you think?

Firstly, not upset or offended, and thanks for further clarifying... :) And yes, everyone answered beautifully. The responses to your question speak to the power and magic of the camino. Explain why, someone like me (non religious), who does not agree with many catholic teachings, cannot stay away from the camino. It's this big, weird, powerful mysterious entity that keeps calling me back. Even people who say "I just like walking! It's just a walk" I always think but is it? Is it just a walk?

I'll leave it there, because for the last 45 minutes I've tried to craft a better response to your comment and I just can't seem to get the words out. Which means I need to go on another camino....

cheers!

Firstly, not upset or offended, and thanks for further clarifying... :) And yes, everyone answered beautifully. The responses to your question speak to the power and magic of the camino. Explain why, someone like me (non religious), who does not agree with many catholic teachings, cannot stay away from the camino. It's this big, weird, powerful mysterious entity that keeps calling me back. Even people who say "I just like walking! It's just a walk" I always think but is it? Is it just a walk?

I'll leave it there, because for the last 45 minutes I've tried to craft a better response to your comment and I just can't seem to get the words out. Which means I need to go on another camino....

cheers!
Which just goes to show...there are many questions and just, sometimes, not many answers.
I have been on "camino" from the day I was born and carry the scars physically and emotionally willingly.
The day I give up will not be up to me.
Keep well everyone.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Which just goes to show...there are many questions and just, sometimes, not many answers.
I have been on "camino" from the day I was born and carry the scars physically and emotionally willingly.
The day I give up will not be up to me.
Keep well everyone.
This is certainly an interesting way of looking at the "camino" and so very true, figuratively speaking. You've added a valid, yet different way of thinking to the discussion.

Thank you Mycroft for your beautiful post - it touched my heart. For you, I post a photo of Mum and Dad - Pauline and Jim. The photo was taken by a street photographer in Sydney when they were courting (to use an old-fashioned expression) just after the end of WWII - they met when Dad was in rehab after returning from the POW camps In Japan - Mum was one of the nurses who nursed him back to health.

Best wishes from Oz -
Jenny
What a treasure, Jenny, to have such a photo and remembrance. I spend much of my time doing local history research, and before COVID lock downs, I did photographic research in our town museum.
I will add because of the similarity, have a dear friend who will be 99 in 2 weeks, who was in the last class of the US Army Nurse Cadette Corps. While training in a North Carolina hospital, she met her husband who had been wounded in the Battle of the Bulge. When I pilgrimage, I often think of her as an inspiration for perseverance.
And so it goes.

I don't know ... if someone were jogging in a park and their knee went would they carry on in terrible pain because they had promised themselves 30 laps and there were still 15 to go? No, they would stop.

So I wasn't really thinking of normal adventure hardships but serious debilitating pain and similar - pain that at home one would go to the doctor then take a few days off work, that sort of level - yet I have seen and tried to treat many who won't even stop for 48 hours to heal but insist on carrying on, even if they are in tears - it is that level I was wondering about - some years ago there was heavy snow in April all the way to Burgos and I saw a pilgrim trudging along, ankle deep, entering town ... his face looked awful, he was freezing - yet he was carrying on (mind you he could have been carrying on to get to the train station!!).

This is beyond anticipation of Santiago, or Camino family - is it merely to do with the fear of failing? Of letting ourselves down?
Or is there something in the core being of the human mind, a tenacity and bravery, that elsewhere displays itself more commonly as acts of heroism?
What a great question! I've found it fascinating reading the responses on this thread. I've thought about this a lot from my own experiences on the Camino.

It's impossible to completely avoid suffering, and a little bit of suffering seems intrinsically linked to our ability to experience joy. It's the same on the Camino, without a certain amount of hardship and struggle reaching Santiago just wouldn't feel the same.

However, I do think that pushing on despite excruciating pain (with the possibility of permanent injury) is something else. Personally, I have to watch out for a kind of 'summit fever', where I become fixated on the destination, with a willingness to reach it at any physical or emotional cost.

When I was suffering on the Camino del Norte a kind hospitalero, gently reminded me that it wasn't really about getting to Santiago, that it's a personal journey and an internal one, Santiago will always be there. It helped me get back to why I set-off on pilgrimage in the first place.

I think ultimately what drives me forward through the pain is a deep curiosity to learn and understand more about myself and others. However, knowing when to stop has also become an important part of the journey for me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi – I have been wondering, pondering really, for a while now. For the religious carrying on when Camino is difficult, terribly difficult, is simple. A Catholic, for instance, has surrendered to a God greater than themselves – they are surrendered and go on pilgrimage with the intention of arriving at the remains of St James for deep personal reasons and every step, everything that happens, is part of that surrender and that mission.

In a sense they expect it to be difficult, to have obstacles to overcome, possibly want it to be difficult, as carrying on and finally arriving in Santiago can have more meaning … more proof of intent. This I can see.

But what I cannot see is why non-religious pilgrims carry on when those obstacles and possible suffering really strikes – walking in pain, walking through day after day of awful weather ….

… what drives them on?

What is the internal driver?

I offer no answers as I don’t know but I would like to open this to your thoughts ...
Well, for me it is really quite simple: i am determined to finish what i start; i want to be able to say i finished. It is a kind of religion with me.

There are many harder things in life for the average pilgrim. Religious or not.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi – I have been wondering, pondering really, for a while now. For the religious carrying on when Camino is difficult, terribly difficult, is simple. A Catholic, for instance, has surrendered to a God greater than themselves – they are surrendered and go on pilgrimage with the intention of arriving at the remains of St James for deep personal reasons and every step, everything that happens, is part of that surrender and that mission.

In a sense they expect it to be difficult, to have obstacles to overcome, possibly want it to be difficult, as carrying on and finally arriving in Santiago can have more meaning … more proof of intent. This I can see.

But what I cannot see is why non-religious pilgrims carry on when those obstacles and possible suffering really strikes – walking in pain, walking through day after day of awful weather ….

… what drives them on?

I offer no answers as I don’t know but I would like to open this to your thoughts ...
To answer this question, we need to ask, how many people get an an opportunity to really get in touch with themselves in a manner that is mainly independent of Pilgrim
is challenging the Camino to a duel to have the chance to come into the light and evidence to themselves they are special even worthy to be a valid human being. They have heard all the stories about how hard it is and the mystical experiences other pilgrims have They want to be tested to have an opportunity, to see what they can do in a journey which is different for every Pilgrim.They feel if they can achieve the completion of the journey, they will be changed for ever, as if going through a mystical Portal. Some even continue doing it, addicted to the mystical experience.
For many, seeking oneness through meditation is not conclusive, through completion of the Camino, we are awarded a form of Nirvana.

… what drives them on?

Hi David, maybe i may help, I completed the Camino Frances in April/May 2018. I have no religious preference, a non believer? No, but i guess im not a true believer either. My journey was driven by the memories of my loving son who died in my arms at 10 years old in 2006.
Each step, through pain or not was in his memory, each church service i attended was dedicated to him ( I found solace in those beautiful places, small or large) I truly believe that my journey originated as someone not aware of the powerful gravity that these religious places have, to find myself definitely being more and more drawn back for the reasons I initially denied.
I assume those who declare their journey is not for religious reasons are still as fiercely driven for their own reasons, and if they are lucky enough ( as i was) the spiritual seed is planted .
Nicky

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

… what drives them on?

I think 'psychology' provides much of the answer. And remembering that many people don't complete the distance of the camino - for those who push on through pain and discomfort - their psychological makeup would answer your question. The drivers may be internal or external but possessing a strength of will to finish doesn't require a spiritual or religious commitment.
I, like many have walked through pain. Having stopped and cried more than once on each camino - wondering if I can go on. And I have gone on...marveling at the wonders of restorative sleep, finding coffee or something to eat, finding shade or a break in the rain...small things that bring me back to myself and my experience. Ultimately not thinking too much about the journeys end helps. Thinking only of today, right now...being present...it reduces the sense of being overwhelmed and therefore energy is returned to the self, to continue.

The pure joy of accomplishment and the comradery of all types, ages and nationalities of pilgrims. I am not a believer in religion, however I am a spiritual being. I loved the personal challenge, which wasn't really that difficult and its super fun for those with an adventurous, gypsy soul.

… what drives them on?

I'm a staunch atheist, and I have completed 3 Caminos. Del Norte, Via de Plate and Portuguese. I "carry on" because I derive great joy from the process. The stress free ability to do nothing by put one foot in front of the other. To meet new people, experience the different cultures along the way, the different foods, the differing scenery. The chance to be alone with my thoughts for an extended time. The Caminos have without doubt been highlights of my adult life :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.