• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why do some people insist on shutting windows?

george.g

Time of past OR future Camino
French way 10, 11
Norte 12
Vdlp 13
Levante 14
Mozarabe/Malaga 15
Augusta 16
Mozarabe/Almeria 17
As an observation, certain European nationals must have the windows shut tight at night irrespective of the numbers sleeping in the same dorm! Even to the extent that they will get up in the early hours and quietly close them, honest!
In the morning can you imagine the air quality.
Perhaps French mother's threaten their kids with the bogy man?
Regards
George

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think it's the old school idea... the cold night air will make you sick. Sadly, sickness is probably more likely to occur from the germ incubator that's created by locking everything up tight. :)

It is just a personal preference. I believe it is a healthier environment with the window open. Some might not like the smell, noise or have other reasons. I recommend you talk to the folks in your Albergue and try and reach a solution. Maybe those that like a window open sleep in one end and closed window group the other.

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Reminds me of this article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15987082

“…the British do not have a term for a "colpo d'aria". It literally translates as a "hit of air" and seems to be incredibly dangerous for Italians. They can get one in their eye, their ear, their head or any part of their abdomen. To avoid getting a colpo d'aria, until at least April, they must never go out without wearing a woollen vest, known as a "maglia della salute" (a shirt of health)”

I know it's a massive stereotype but I burst out laughing when I first read this because I have some Italian friends and the midly cold air/coats/scarfs thing is so true!

Mosquitoes. And other bugs. Otherwise, I'd leave the window cracked open.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am far too timid to open, or shut, a window in a common area, unless I have asked everyone - and I'm not too likely to get general permission. But one reason that I might like to shut windows is a lot of street noise, as I am a light sleeper. I sleep poorly if it's stuffy, but I may not sleep at all if it is too noisy (Yes, I am aware that hostel rooms are shared with snorers).

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
One of my pet peeves in albergues. The medieval notion that the night air is bad and the windows must be kept shut. Ridiculous.
Instead you end up with a hot, smelly, stuffy albergue. Whenever I slept near a window I always opened it up before I went to sleep, and slept with my head near the window. That way if someone were to get up and close it, I woke up and opened it again.

as a Spaniard, all I can say is, we like sleeping in the dark, we have blinds and we use them, we hate sleeping with no blinds, unlike you norther Barbarians ;);););) haha!

blinds are a blessing! you open the window at day, then close it at night, it is a cultural difference

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I live in Northern Alberta. There is snow over half the year here for the most part and up to minus 40 and 50 degree weather during the very cold months. Unless it's a blowing snowstorm outside or I risk icing up my windows too badly to close them if I need to, the window stays open a crack even then. Blinds are not essential unless I have a migraine.
For all you window shutters out there, think for a moment. OXYGEN. It does get used up no? (think about putting a lid over a burning candle...it goes out)...There are a lot of people breathing heavy...sleepers tend to breathe deep, and recycled air is definitely more dangerous than being a little chilly or having a mosquito buzzing around. Air quality is essential to a good night sleep, having the room slightly cooler helps one sleep better. And honestly I don't care what people think...if its stuffy I'm gonna open the windows...It's nuts to sleep in a room full of people breathing each others recycled air. I know air comes in no matter what but fresh air is important for good health. ANOTHER REASON IM TAKING A TENT. Lordy I know we are supposed to be tolerant but there is tolerance and then there is just omg stupidity. Im not going to sleep somewhere that makes me sick. I'm kinda getting sick to my stomach thinking about it...people release all sorts of toxins and gas and omg...gross ....give me open windows or give me a tent.

Last edited:
I'm rude.
I first wait until the dorm is reasonably full.
Then I walk to the window and if it is not already open, I open it.
Then in a loud voice that all can hear I suggest that if anyone attempts to close it during the night they will have me to deal with.
I hold a fist up and accompany it with a friendly smile.
Seems to do the trick.
Regds
Gerard

as a Spaniard, all I can say is, we like sleeping in the dark, we have blinds and we use them, we hate sleeping with no blinds, unlike you norther Barbarians ;);););) haha!
blinds are a blessing! you open the window at day, then close it at night, it is a cultural difference
After leaving my Barbarian roots behind in America I have come to appreciate what you say rather reluctantly.

You had windows??
Perhaps everyone should now consider adding a toilet seat and a window to their pack?

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Albergue priorities. Lower bunk, away from doors (especially toilet door), near electrical outlet, near window - so you can open it!

I have an older French friend who believes camping in fresh air is healthy, but still seals out the evil night air at his home. akkk!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Human warmth.

I don't either like sleeping in dense atmospheres.

But my body rules and if I'm tired enough (and after 5 or 6 hours walking, I swear I am) I don't care even if everybody is smoking, chatting and laughing out loud.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the VĂ­a de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?
Trail from Santiponce to Guillena is totally underwater. as was local road. Only option was highway that you can't walk on. Nice man gave us ride around for 15 euros.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back