• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why do we walk the camino? A phsylogist¨s intelligent take on i

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
Some time ago, a Swede walked from Norway to Marocco. on the way, he was explained by a Norw. phsycologist. I have a feeling in the back of my heart, that you will find yourself somewhere in here, so I will post what the phsycologist said about walkers like us. After all, we are all in the same boat, dont you think? Give me credit for having spent 1 hour in translation in order to share this with you ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many people live a life, but they dream of another one.

The need to break loose from the everyday, letting go of all you have, and enter into a more real world, is something most people have felt. Either through concrete plans, or a dear wish temporarily put on the shelf. Why do we have this need? The psycologist Arnulf Kolstad answers:

How far back has humans performed similar travels for similar reasons?

Homo Sapiens has, as we know it, existed for ca. 300.000 years. It started in Africa, and since, humans have spread all around the globe. So, somebody must have started to use their feet on long trips, also in ancient times.

What is such a journey an expression of?
It expresses a wish to turn your back to the ordinary life, break up routines and traditions, develop both mind and body, plus give impulses to one's brain and establish new networks, both social and neurological. The lonely wandering is an enrichment. But you will need a rich inner life in order to have a pleasant journey on your own.

Why do humans have a need to break loose when the surroundings become to safe?

I do not necessarily believe that it has anything to do with safety in the everyday life; People embarking on such tours are normally resting well in themselves, which means they are safe with themselves, and do not mind unsecurity. I rather believe that it is a wish of experience even more of our world, the unknown, the distant. It is the unknown that attracts and not the known that is cursed.

Do all people have this need?

No, not all of us have the same strong need to break up, explore, experience the new. Some want to explore an experience, others want to nourish what they have. There are big differences here, and some are obviously tied to the need for safety, which some feel stronger than others. It can be related to lack of «basic trust», that early in your life experienced lacking trust to you your caretaker, which can result in that you rather want to keep close to the safe and comforting. It may also result from differences in temperament: Some are extroverts, while others are introverts and safety addicts.

Is this a typical Western thing, a need that arouses when «you have it all?»

The need to leave, the need for outbreak from the well-known and habits exists in all cultures. It is possible that that the Western, individualistic competition- goods- and commercial society where success is measured in your degree of consumption of material posessions, is a certain strain on those who hold other values in life, like having close relations to nature and other fellow humans. For them (us) it is a pest and plague to be squeezed into a lifestyle that we deep inside despise, with slavery elements such as paid work, bank loans, and slim opportunities to realize our opportunities and dreams. The Western monetary society is binding people on their hands and feet, and many are living one life, but are dreaming about another life.

The Western Monetary Society

Many are considering breaking loose from the ordinary work hell, put it all behind, and go away, and start anew. Some people actually manage to do it. Why are we so seldom converting these thoughts or words into real action?

I have myself broken up a few times, ignoring the income loss or whatever. I had many splendid experiences and a few bad ones: Those who envied me and wanted to make a similar trip, but couldn't: They had an assortment of excuses: Their carreers, their wifes, children, morgage, etc. All those arguments told that they were slaves in their own lives without being able to understand it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so it is: Many people are slaves to their life and to their banks: They just do not understand it. Try to break loose, my friend, walk, and think...

Hope you like it, and that you will have a
Buen Camino!
of your life and that it will change your life and your thinking.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And I have to challenge you: How do you reply to a cry of freedom and a significant change in your life? I am eager to hear...

Or maybe you are well off doing the walk?

B. F. Skinner was a firm believer of the idea that human free will was actually an illusion and any human action was the result of the consequences of that same action. If the consequences were bad, there was a high chance that the action would not be repeated; however if the consequences were good, the actions that led to it would be reinforced.He called this the principle of reinforcement.
Thus, if an infant were raised in a totally controlled environment, you could create a totally predictable being. Survival being the strongest instinct, given the necessary tools and unmatched physical ability...you could create a warrior. On the other hand you could provide the subject everything it needed: food, shelter, safety; creating basically a sheep.
As I understand it, walking the Way for either the warrior, or the sheep is to step beyond your current circumstance and, if truly desired, bring about a change in how you respond to adversity. With no direct perceived threat, both the warrior and the sheep will assess each situation at face value, not just go into "flight or fight" mode.
Sure there will be events that may require either force, or diplomacy to reach a satisfactory result, but when in company of those of kindred spirit (sharing food, shelter and safety) and open to personal growth your life style can change if you are willing and able to get off the fight or flight treadmill.
Going on Camino, especially with no physical attachment to your yesterday, and open to your today, may favorably impact your future.
Oh, B.F. Although raised a Christian, his disbelief in free will greatly influenced the growth of secularization among "intellectuals" on the university campi of today.
Seems a shame that one is incapable of escaping their preordained path.
The Good News is that, just when you believe that you are totally in control the Camino steps in and forces you to make a decision. And, since walking the Way can provide a roadmap to freedom.
You may indeed change your life!
Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow
Some time ago, a Swede walked from Norway to Marocco. on the way, he was explained by a Norw. phsycologist. I have a feeling in the back of my heart, that you will find yourself somewhere in here, so I will post what the phsycologist said about walkers like us. After all, we are all in the same boat, dont you think? Give me credit for having spent 1 hour in translation in order to share this with you ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many people live a life, but they dream of another one.

The need to break loose from the everyday, letting go of all you have, and enter into a more real world, is something most people have felt. Either through concrete plans, or a dear wish temporarily put on the shelf. Why do we have this need? The psycologist Arnulf Kolstad answers:

• How far back has humans performed similar travels for similar reasons?

Homo Sapiens has, as we know it, existed for ca. 300.000 years. It started in Africa, and since, humans have spread all around the globe. So, somebody must have started to use their feet on long trips, also in ancient times.
  • What is such a journey an expression of?
It expresses a wish to turn your back to the ordinary life, break up routines and traditions, develop both mind and body, plus give impulses to one's brain and establish new networks, both social and neurological. The lonely wandering is an enrichment. But you will need a rich inner life in order to have a pleasant journey on your own.

• Why do humans have a need to break loose when the surroundings become to safe?

I do not necessarily believe that it has anything to do with safety in the everyday life; People embarking on such tours are normally resting well in themselves, which means they are safe with themselves, and do not mind unsecurity. I rather believe that it is a wish of experience even more of our world, the unknown, the distant. It is the unknown that attracts and not the known that is cursed.

• Do all people have this need?

No, not all of us have the same strong need to break up, explore, experience the new. Some want to explore an experience, others want to nourish what they have. There are big differences here, and some are obviously tied to the need for safety, which some feel stronger than others. It can be related to lack of «basic trust», that early in your life experienced lacking trust to you your caretaker, which can result in that you rather want to keep close to the safe and comforting. It may also result from differences in temperament: Some are extroverts, while others are introverts and safety addicts.

• Is this a typical Western thing, a need that arouses when «you have it all?»
The need to leave, the need for outbreak from the well-known and habits exists in all cultures. It is possible that that the Western, individualistic competition- goods- and commercial society where success is measured in your degree of consumption of material posessions, is a certain strain on those who hold other values in life, like having close relations to nature and other fellow humans. For them (us) it is a pest and plague to be squeezed into a lifestyle that we deep inside despise, with slavery elements such as paid work, bank loans, and slim opportunities to realize our opportunities and dreams. The Western monetary society is binding people on their hands and feet, and many are living one life, but are dreaming about another life.

The Western Monetary Society

Many are considering breaking loose from the ordinary work hell, put it all behind, and go away, and start anew. Some people actually manage to do it. Why are we so seldom converting these thoughts or words into real action?

I have myself broken up a few times, ignoring the income loss or whatever. I had many splendid experiences and a few bad ones: Those who envied me and wanted to make a similar trip, but couldn't: They had an assortment of excuses: Their carreers, their wifes, children, morgage, etc. All those arguments told that they were slaves in their own lives without being able to understand it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so it is: Many people are slaves to their life and to their banks: They just do not understand it. Try to break loose, my friend, walk, and think...

Hope you like it, and that you will have a
Buen Camino!
of your life and that it will change your life and your thinking.

Wow! loved that! So, so true! Thanks for sharing! I will thankfully copy and perhaps share with those I know that never Understood why I would do such a "trip." And we had a Buen Camino of our lives with lots of thinking! :)

Tonight my husband and I lay on our beds resting after walking around Santiago most of the day.. 1 more day here, but really ready to go home. Lots of rain! :) We had more than an adventure -- more than I ever imagined! Full trust in God got us through and beautiful people we met lightened our hearts and struggles.

Went to get our Santiago Francisci Conventus Compostelae today, I saw a man waiting at the door and felt compelled to greet him saying, "Buen Camino or hola," not knowing if he was a pilgrim. He broke out in a tearful, emotional huge smile. We listened to his story of why he did his pilgrimage and the honesty and closeness we all felt was amazing. He and others like him is what I will remember the most. They are my Camino "gifts" I will take home and cherish. Just had to say.

I loved this article-- thank you so much for translating and posting. Wonderful article with so much food for thought. One of my favorite lines was "...you will need a rich inner life in order to have a pleasant journey on your own....". Many may go on the Camino looking for a rich inner life, many bring it along. Love that.

Thank you for heartfelt responses (as I interpretate it). Yes, it takes some courage to realize that you are in a vacuum, and how to get out of it. But remember: When you are stuck in survival, maybe there is a way out somewhere else. We tend to believe that our solutions are to be found in our neighborhoods, but perhaps they are to be found far away? And maybe our own solution is a key for the benefit of others, far away from us, and who perhaps stand closer to us than our nearest?

What do we do?: Support our young ones with their headphones, and wired up on the Net all day, or do we want to act like real human beings? If that is the case, where do we act?

I have many thoughts running on these subjects.... I may come to a conclusion one of thesde days...

One of my favorite lines was "...you will need a rich inner life in order to have a pleasant journey on your own....".
Wise: You have just grasped the essentials of why I posted this...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Wow! loved that! So, so true! Thanks for sharing! I will thankfully copy and perhaps share with those I know that never Understood why I would do such a "trip."
How good to hear; You will be doing them a good deed and giving them a true gift: I deeply hope they understand what you are offering them.

One of my favorite lines was "...you will need a rich inner life in order to have a pleasant journey on your own...."
I have been thinking about that. You (and the phsycologist) are incredibly spot on. I believe you are right there, buddy. Thanks.

Last edited:
All those arguments told that they were slaves in their own lives without being able to understand it.

@alexwalker -

Thank you! This turned on a very bright light for me.

I have been dealing with a surprising amount of hostility for walking the Camino. (And, it is not because I talk about it!:) Really, not even a tiny bit - it remains a very personal, private experience.)

The article and your comments have me thinking that perhaps this either due to envy (for taking time for myself) or anger for "deserting" the materialist mindset.

Anyone else run into this? Any other ideas for reasons, if so?

B

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
@alexwalker -

Thank you! This turned on a very bright light for me.

I have been dealing with a surprising amount of hostility for walking the Camino. (And, it is not because I talk about it!:) Really, not even a tiny bit - it remains a very personal, private experience.)

The article and your comments have me thinking that perhaps this either due to envy (for taking time for myself) or anger for "deserting" the materialist mindset.

Anyone else run into this? Any other ideas for reasons, if so?

B
I think people resent the idea of someone being brave enough to step away from the "known" and into the unknown. They take it as an affront to the way they live their lives, when in reality it seems they are harboring a bit of jealousy because they are unable/unwilling to take that step themselves.
The last part of the psychologists quote really nailed it. We tell ourselves the reasons we can't do something-the kids, bills, spouse-because we can't admit that we're scared to try something different. We spend our lives building walls, then complaining about the walls that hold us in, never realizing we can walk through the wall at any time.

Thank you very much for the work Alex.
The Swede certainly went for a long walk, but it seems it is not a question of distance but rather a question of what one feel a need for in ones life, which is at hand many times.

There are so many ways to respond to this question, and your challenge, and a book comes into my mind which has some relevance; Narcissus and Goldmund, by Herman Hesse.
The story, set in Medieval times, follows two friends, a teacher and a pupil, who choose different paths in their life.
Narcissus chooses an artistic and 'free' and careless way which brings him on the road and much enjoyment in life.
As a consequence of his lifestyle he remains alone and without wealth or status, but his path brings him inspiration, love and creativity.
Goldmund chooses the way of the cloth and build up stability, status and continuity (among other things).
It is an interesting story which draw upon 'classic' Greek dilemma, tragedy and choice, and their conversation at old age is one of reflection.

Although it is more than 25 years since I read it first time, I still find it a book which has much to offer.
Maybe the Camino sometimes can provide both at the same time.
The wanderer seeking to find oneself as well as an opportunity to create stability through spiritual or religious inspiration.

Lastly, there is one other book which comes into mind; Of walking in ice, by Werner Herzog.
It is really more a collection of notes or a diary, describing his walk from Munich to Paris during winter, which he has decided to walk to, in order to try to prolong his friends life (she is terminal ill and he thinks/believes/wish she will still be alive when he arrives to Paris).
It is a collection of his reflections and documentation of his, at times, hard struggle, but in many ways (in my opinion) a story about hope, dreams, determination and taking control of ones own life (regardless what the consequences may be).

Lettinggo

The answer to B.F. Skinner is physiological. We now know the brain is not hard wired (as used to be thought) but remains plastic right up to the moment of death. It means change is always possible and is actually always happening. We also know that we have the ability to control how we think. That is very liberating.
I don't think it is necessary to physically and geographically wander to experience deeply, to be free, to explore and to be creative. A wall is not a prison unless we perceive it that way; I think of a friend who lives a rich and deeply fulfilling life even though confined to a wheelchair. For the last two years I have not walked a camino through choice. My priority was elsewhere. If I had walked a camino I would have been choosing to abandon something very precious to me - I often have the refrain in my head from the Janice Joplin song; "freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose..."

But for now I am very, very happy to pick up my wanderer's cloak and go walkabout next May!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Firstly, alexwalker, thank you for posting that translation.
secondly, if what I write seems A little incoherent it is because I am in hospital and on some quite strong drugs.
Lastly I apologise for any spelling errors or grammatical mistakes but I am having to dictate this.

S
But you will need a rich inner life in order to have a pleasant journey on your own.

How true!
In a way what is being said here is you need to be secure in order to be insecure.
But by being insecure, but secure, it enables you to be adventurous.
And by being adventurous you discover more.
More about life and also about your inner self.

HOWEVER
I do not think there are ever solutions to life's problems - only resolutions.

If there is an end goal it is that pot of gold at rainbow's end

Last edited:
Alex,
This is a brilliant thread and I thank you for starting it.
Some of us choose a life of ticking each and every day off our calendar while doing a daily check our current accounts and some of us choose to walk the Camino more than once.
It is a huge leap to leave everything behind for 45+ days.
I have posted several time on this forum about my admiration of the homeless who live along the Camino. In Biarritz they serve a purpose of caring for the stray animals and like the homeless souls you meet along the Camino they are lost in a world we may never understand. They are not there to play scams and sometime they could use a hand out of a meal or a beer.
As many of you know, I lost my daughter to suicide in 2010 and that has been my reason for walking the Camino every year since her death to lose myself in the beauty of the landscape of the Pyrenees, the Meseta and Galicia as I reconcile her death and attempt to find the dream.

While it is elegant to hypothesize esoteric reasons for walking the camino, I don't think it is anything more than trying for a change of state, which is the fundamental reason behind most activities in life. I did it because it is challenging and does not involve any degree of danger as mountain climbing might. I did it more than once because I enjoyed the complete break from responsibility. When I avoided goals and competition, I was responsible for nothing except myself. As liberating as that is, I became aware that I also enjoy the obligations I have in life -- family, work, etc. -- and return each time to what I had come to view as drudgery quite willingly. I feel no need to encourage others to act similarly, or to respond to their doubts or insecurities. For me, it is fun, and I always hope others will find the same sense of joy and pleasure that I do. That may not be mystical or unique enough for some, but for me it is plenty.;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for posting this thread. After reading, I return inward once again to ask myself why did I want to make the journey and more importantly, what did I learn from the experience? Since I have been home since mid July, I am still very much wrestling with a lot of these questions, such as what is the purpose of my life? What I do know about my walk is that I was able to walk with my 22 year old son, and see some of life through his eyes and he through mine. We were able to let go of a lot of emotional baggage we were both carrying surrounding the death of my husband and his father 1o years ago, and hopefully we both experienced some healing. Where the next step leads, I do not know, but I stand in grace for every step I was able to make on the Way in the wake of thousands of other pilgrims.

Perhaps the desire to escape (including altered states of consciousness), to move, to be nomadic are at the root of our evolutionary survival instincts. And maybe choosing not to escape or walk, may also be an expression of this instinct in a roundabout way. The issue, for me, that ties us all together is an inescapable existential truth: We are mortal, we all know we are going to die. This unsettles us. It's the essential human paradox. Our will to live in the face of a knowledge of the inescapable end to that life. Then it gets interesting. Our responses to that, our creative imaginations and coping mechanisms are many and elaborate, and some of our best (and worst), superlative efforts stem from this creative imagining and problem solving to that existential dilemma. Religion, travel, sports, politics, community activism, walking, meditation, drugs/alcohol, art, materialism/consumerism and on and on... We all chose our ways to face that existential reality.

An aside, I'm not sure how BF Skinner ends getting dismissed in earlier posts. Seems like a bit of a non sequitur in relation to the OP. But in defence of behaviorism, it's important to note this field of psychology has evolved since Skinner and remains a vibrant, growing field of study and an important contributor to pedagogical and therapeutic fields. Cognitive behavior therapy continues to be a highly effective therapeutic model and this model wouldn't exist without the breakthroughs made by early behaviorists. The fact is, the nurture part of our nature/nurture being-in-the-world is hugely influential on who we are and how we are shaped. Pavlov's dogs will still salivate at the sound of that bell, and I will always drool when my wife merely mentions she is planning to cook my favourite dish. My decision to do the Camino was very much a result of positive reinforcement based on the benefits experienced via past walks, hikes and travels. As it was based on the negative impressions left on me by decisions to stagnate during my allotted vacation time from work. And none of this is necessarily at odds with free will or brain plasticity. We are are complex machines, not reducible to a simple psychological concept.

BiarritzDon, I'm sorry for your loss, but what a beautiful way you've chosen to honor your daughter! I hope that every time you step out on the Camino you find a little more comfort, a little more peace.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As many of you know, I lost my daughter to suicide in 2010 and that has been my reason for walking the Camino every year since her death to lose myself in the beauty of the landscape of the Pyrenees, the Meseta and Galicia as I reconcile her death and attempt to find the dream.
I didn't know. Please receive my deepest condolances, from one father to another, as well as a sincere wish from me to one day share with you a beer, a meal, and a good, long conversation. And a walk. I cannot do your walk; you'll have to do that by yourself, but I can walk with you.

Last edited:
@biarritzdon I also did not know. Too much pain. Very close to home. We are all much closer to the abyss than we realise. I'm glad you are a member of the forum. Walk in peace.

I know the both of you, Alex and Don. In 2014 I had the pleasure of meeting Don at Bayonne, and then linking up with Alex at St. Jean Pied de Port to begin our Camino together.

I think you two would become good friends very fast. Try a PM between the two of you. I think you both have more in common than can be expressed in this forum.

Alex: A HUGE thank you for posting the initial message! I always feel so much better about "my magnificent obsession" when I see it discussed intelligently.

Be well,

Thanks Tom.
It is Sunday 12/10 and I am currently watching a huge rain and thunder storm in the Pyrenees from my balcony. I am sure anyone who ventured out between SJPdP and Ronsevalles around noon is soaked to the bone and freezing tonight.

Thanks Tom.
It is Sunday 12/10 and I am currently watching a huge rain and thunder storm in the Pyrenees from my balcony. I am sure anyone who ventured out between SJPdP and Ronsevalles around noon is soaked to the bone and freezing tonight.

Biaritzdon a strong visual image of the Pyrenees, good luck to the ones who safely reached the monastery who did not feel over whelmed by their 1st day and will continue.

Alex & all contributing to this thread,

Thanks for the translation and esp. the heartfelt words. I just stepped off the Camino but it clearly isn't finished yet. Who knows, maybe it stirs a lifetime.
For me the decision to walk the Camino was to address the rut. Mine is a beautiful rut, and yet the desire to create new pathways both neural and earthly begins to beckon whenever life gets to cozy. This doesn't manifest as walking each time although I do hike frequently in the Mtns. near my home in NM. Sometimes it's just a strong pull to deepen the internal exploration through meditation.

The line" But you will need a rich inner life in order to have a pleasant journey on your own." is intriguing. I want to accept/identify with it at first but then it feels a bit condescending. Do we really need/have a rich inner life to explore the world or do we just need to bring an open heart to wherever we wander?
And in closing if we do feel that safety in ourself that was mentioned earlier it is easier to wander with an openness felt on the Camino that seems less apparent here in Madrid.

My reasons for wanting to tackle this challenge are on so many different levels. The 'down and dirty' answer would be 1) because I can and 2) because the Camino is there and beckons me like a little niggling feeling behind my right ear at the base of my brain that sometimes arises when I need to do something, say something, or take an action that has long been untended to.

I'll be retiring officially next May, and as I step through the portal into my new life, the perfect transition would be the walk along the Camino. Although I'm not doing the entire length of the Camino Frances, only 1/2 of it, still those 3 weeks will be enough to hopefully move me through my fears and anxieties about taking such a long trip, alone, and dealing with the logistics of travel, walking what will amount to roughly a 1/2 marathon each day, tasting new food, stumbling along with my very poor grasp of the Spanish language, and just generally trying to figure out how 'to be' as a stranger in a strange land, alone. It's not complicated nor is it very psychological - it will just be my Camino in my way!

Wow! Absolutely great article! Thank you so much for it, Alex! I think I will send this to all my friends..:)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back