• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why do we walk?

YasminVdC

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Leon to Compostela (September 2015)
Camino SJP to Burgos (July 2017)
Why does one walk the Camino?
Why does one walk at least 100 kilometres through sun, rain, grief, pain, anger, frustration, blisters, doubts and a million more things to then just take a plane/bus or train home to what we call 'real life'?
Do we do it to try and find some sort of release?
Maybe relief?
Purpose?
Excellence?
Humility?
Comradery?
Memories?
Maybe all of the above? Or none of the above?

I do remember what I sought when I first walked the Camino. I sought peace.
Peace in my mind. Peace in my heart.
I had just lost my mom one year prior. She had committed suicide and i forcefully found myself at a new beginning. Because for so long I had walked her path. Chased her down the twist and turns of life to, in the end, only find myself lost with her.
And that is when she chose to leave.
I chose to stay and walk my own path.

But no matter how much I searched, I must say I found no peace on the Camino. None to stash away in my already far to heavy backpack and take home with me.
But I did find other things along the way:
Forgiveness: for what I had tried but failed to do. And for all the things I didn't do.
Kindness: from other people, but also from within.
Perseverance: the kind of toughness that does not numb you down.
And perspective. Because to look back is to look ahead.

And though I still don't really know why I walked the Camino, I can say I did walk it. 300 godforsaken kilometres of it.
And believe me: there wasn't one day that went by where I didn't seriously considered quitting. Or stopping indefinitely.
But I didn't. I crept one. And I walk it.
I remember counting down the kilometres. 300 more to go. 20 more to go. 1 more to go.
When I found myself looking at the cathedral of Santiago, I felt no release. Nor relief. I only felt my tired body, my aching feet and my sweaty face.
It wasn't until several hours later after bathing, resting and eating in a nice little hotel I booked myself 1 week prior, that I felt it.
I felt gratitude.

And I think that is why we walk it.
To find all the things we weren't' looking for.
And to let go of all the things we think we are trying to find.

When I stepped out of the plane back home, for the first time in so many years, I was glad to be home. And when I looked into my fathers' and stepmothers' eyes I felt nothing but love, happiness and gratitude to see them again.
The next days, the same feeling oozed out of me every time I did something I had done for years or met someone I had known forever.
I felt happiness. Happiness for what I had, without it being affected with the sadness I felt for what I had lost.

I never really spoke about my Camino. I showed pictures. Told a few nice-to-know facts I had learned along the way. But I never really spoke about it in depth.
I didn't need to.

And now the Camino is calling me again.
Only this time I will leave with the gratitude I found last time I walked it.
God only knows what I will find this time.

And to all of you out there, walking your own path, I would like to wish you well and

Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The reasons for walking the Camino are as varied as the Peregrinos themsleves.

Introspection, for me, is welcome, always. I have found some respite, until I can return to the Camino, in meditation, which I have not done in years, and really do not know why I stopped doing it so many years ago.

For me, the Camino is there to challenge myself, spiritually, religiously, physically, socially and in many permutations of all of these. It allows me to see my limits, in unfamiliar territory, but, yet, so wonderfully welcoming, accepting, freeing atmosphere, that it can become addicting. But what a positive, affirming addiction it can be, or the grreatest curse for those who have have hit a wall, their wall, a wall that they packed and brought with them.

If self-realization is a need, the Camino will become a mirror and show you exactly who you are, sometimes magnified.

It is my prayer that all Peregrinos are able to see the demons in their life and vanquish them, for all the heros in their life, are given their just due and that your life is enhanced in many positive ways.

For those who are seeking, find the hope, faith, love, courage, mercy, gratitude, kindness, compassion, grace, that will make your life complete.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back