• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why doesn't my iPhone like the QR code on the sign in front of Pilgrims Office in SDC? (And a work around)

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
This one may be a bit technical. I arrived at the Pilgrims Office twice last year in SDC. Now each time thankfully I had friends with me. So after enjoying the square in front of the Cathedral, we’d head down the ramp and to the right to the Pilgrims office… where the QR sign is posted. It’s posted so you can check in and receive a QR code that when read at a second location you get a number for your turn to meet with the friends at the office and receive desired documents. Like getting a number at a bakery.

Well, whenever I took a pic of the QR code using standard apple camera app it said, “would you like to go to this URL?” Yes!

But every time, for whatever reason, I get a server error.

Using ATT iPhone 12 totally updated, employing ATT international data plan. No local SIM.

The workaround is to have friends to connect to the QR, and then I use their phone to fill out my info. They get the “new QR” assigned to me and then they send it to me via Airplay, WhatsApp, whatever.

From that point on everything works perfectly. I show my delivered (via friend) QR code at the second place at the office and from then on I can wander SDC with no more server errors while waiting for my number to get close, so I can head back. Complete intended functionality.

Any ideas why my phone doesn’t like the initial QR code outside the office?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Damien - I can’t find it at the moment but someone posted a very helpful ‘how to get in the queue’ guide a few months ago which has the URL which the QR will send you to. I eondet if you get the same issue entering the address directly into your browser?

Download a different QR app and try again.
Sure, will do. But, um, it’s like an updated iPhone.
Damien - I can’t find it at the moment but someone posted a very helpful ‘how to get in the queue’ guide a few months ago which has the URL which the QR will send you to. I eondet if you get the same issue entering the address directly into your browser?
Sounds like a good test.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well, whenever I took a pic of the QR code using standard apple camera app it said, “would you like to go to this URL?” Yes!
Did you or anyone else take an actual photo of the QR code that is posted at the pilgrims office and can you post the image here? This would be the easiest way to see what could be wrong. Because we all could put our iPhone cameras at it to see what happens.

I just put my iPhone on another QR code from the Pilgrims Office that points to the same server. It recognises the url and then says:

Website QR Code. Open "df-server.info in Safari".
The way you describe it, your iPhone reads the QR code, that is it reads the url of the website but then Safari does not go there, correct?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think this is where it directs you, but now that Kathar1na’s on the case, it’ll get solved. I’ll order popcorn.
Acceso agencias expands to https://catedral.df-server.info/agencias/Individuo.aspx?lang=5. It is the same as in post #8 but set to English instead of Spanish as the user language.

The Acceso agencias link must be from an old post ☺️. It takes you straight to the online form and skips the blurb about the General Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the Data Protection and the Organic Law 3/2018 of December 5, on the Data Protection and guarantee of Digital Rights (their translation) which they added after an update of the webpage as a step before you reach the online form.

I can't think of anything that would explain what @Damien Reynolds describes. Because if I understand correctly, the iPhone does read this url and other urls, ie it focuses on the QR, lens is not dirty etc etc.

Did you or anyone else take an actual photo of the QR code that is posted at the pilgrims office and can you post the image here? This would be the easiest way to see what could be wrong. Because we all could put our iPhone cameras at it to see what happens.

I just put my iPhone on another QR code from the Pilgrims Office that points to the same server. It recognises the url and then says:

Website QR Code. Open "df-server.info in Safari".
The way you describe it, your iPhone reads the QR code, that is it reads the url of the website but then Safari does not go there, correct?
Exactly, but it says server error. I was not in troubleshooting mode at the time or else I would’ve taken screenshots. Workaround works. Here is me with friends in front of cathedral. Here is code one of them sent me. Note: I was not able to receive the code on my own without using one of my friend’s phones.

Attachments

• 8802C364-1C3F-45F2-82C0-5285944AAE86.jpeg
    8802C364-1C3F-45F2-82C0-5285944AAE86.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 07E3A522-C2B6-431C-B791-B8FB1CE53CAC.png
    07E3A522-C2B6-431C-B791-B8FB1CE53CAC.png
    531 KB · Views: 86
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Did you try another browser? I've scanned the QR Code image it with my iPhone XS and opened in Chrome, worked. Sidenote: At work - I'm a software developer - we had some redirect/certificate (http status 421) errors happen only with Safari (Desktop & Mobile) while other browsers worked fine, drove me nuts...

Here is code one of them sent me. Note: I was not able to receive the code on my own without using one of my friend’s phones
Stop right there ☺️. We are now in danger of entering the same area of QR code confusion that reigns in the other how-to-get my Compostela threads. I am not sure whether I have the energy to continue ... I'll step back and let others opine.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Ok. Sorry. This is not right. You want to tell a bazillion users to download a new app to receive a compostella? I fully recognize that my friend’s phones worked and mine didn’t. Twice.
I don't want to tell anyone anything of the sort, your reader isn't working so try another one, that's what I said.
My personal preference would be to buy an Android phone, much more user friendly. ☺️

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Android phone, much more user friendly.
You might be right, but let's not bash Apple. I'm working with Win, LX, OSwhatever and I came to the conclusion that software is never ever ready for the customer when shipped *lol*
I have to get a new phone
Nope!
We need a volunteer who passes by the Pilgrims Office, takes a photo of the QR
I'll volunteer, but only if I never ever have to write software that should behave the same in different browsers...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don’t want this thread to be shut down. I asked a legitimate question about my personal experience with the system not working for me. I, with the luck of friends found a workaround. It very well might be a personal issue, but saying don’t use an iPhone is just lame.

It very well might be a personal issue, but saying don’t use an iPhone is just lame.
I don't think it's an issue with your phone, I think it's Safari (but this is only a guess), try opening the QR Code after installing Chrome. Wish you the best of luck! I'm out of guesses what could be wrong. Sorry!

I don’t want this thread to be shut down. I asked a legitimate question about my personal experience with the system not working for me. I, with the luck of friends found a workaround. It very well might be a personal issue, but saying don’t use an iPhone is just lame.
Damien, go back and read my posts again, slowly this time, I made a suggestion, a legitimate answer, and you shut it down, If you don't get the answers you like why ask the question.
I'm out.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We must be clear about the issue. Which we aren't. There are three different QR codes involved in the whole process. All of them are urls or links to webpages.
  • The first QR code is posted at the pilgrims office. It is on paper. You scan / read it with your mobile phone. It takes you to the online form to fill in your personal data. Let's call it QR-1.

• The second QR code is the one posted as a sample in #11. Let's call it QR-2.

• The third QR code is the one that you see on the paper ticket with your number in the waiting line. You receive it on paper only at the pilgrim's office. You scan / read it with your mobile phone and it tells you how far the waiting line has advanced in real time. Let's call it QR-3.
The issue is about QR-1, right? Not about QR-2, right? And not about QR-3 either, you could read it, right?

Damien, go back and read my posts again, slowly this time, I made a suggestion, a legitimate answer, and you shut it down, If you don't get the answers you like why ask the question.
I'm out.
Ok, I read the responses slowly. Still no practical advice offered. Solutions were “download another app” or “use android”. I can only bank on my 20+ years in software development…. Not good for a customer experience.

We must be really clear about the issue. Which we aren't. There are three different QR codes involved in the whole process. All of them are urls or links to webpages.
  • The first QR code is posted at the pilgrims office. It is on paper. You scan / read it with your mobile phone. It takes you to the online form to fill in your personal data. Let's call it QR-1.

• The third QR code is the one that you see on the paper ticket with your number in the waiting line. You receive it only on paper at the pilgrim's office. You scan / read it with your mobile phone and it tells you how far the waiting line has advanced in real time. Let's call it QR-3.
The issue is QR-1, right? Not QR-2, right?
The sign out front gives me server error. Once I use another person’s phone I can get in and enter the info required. They then receive another QR code and send it to me. From there it’s perfect.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What HTTP Status code was sent? My theory was a 421 but you said server error, some 5xx?? then my theory is garbage :-( and you don't need to bother to install Chrome.

What HTTP Status code was sent? My theory was a 421 but you said server error, some 5xx?? then my theory is garbage :-( and you don't need to bother to install Chrome.
I wish I knew. Next time I go to Santiago I’ll be sure to include more info. More screenshots Etc. i had actually hoped other people would chime in and they experienced the same thing…

• The first QR code is posted at the pilgrims office. Let's call it QR-1.
  • The third QR code is the one that you see on the paper ticket with your number in the waiting line.
Here are samples for QR-2 and QR-3. I can read both of them on iPhone, and Safari opens the webpages without a problem. Damien, I guess you can do the same? Now we want a sample for QR-1.

(Sorry about the size. Thumbnails did not work so well).

QR-2.jpgQR-3.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've scanned the QR Code image it with my iPhone XS and opened in Chrome, worked.
Just to be clear: You mean the QR code posted in #11. Or do you mean that you had been at the pilgrims office in the past and scanned the QR code that is printed on a poster there?

BTW, the process is actually simple. You don't need QR-2 for anything. What you need it the 8 letter/digit code that you receive by email and text message. I think that the only person who has ever described the process simply and accurately posted in this comment https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/applying-for-compostela-2022.73807/#post-1010186.

You fill out the form. You get a code consisting of digits and letters by email and text. You note it down, for example on your credencial. You show the 8 digit/letter code to prove that you filled in the form. You get a waiting list ticket. You wait until it's your turn. You show your 8 letter/digit code again. You receive your Compostela.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ok. Sorry. This is not right. You want to tell a bazillion users to download a new app to receive a compostella? I fully recognize that my friend’s phones worked and mine didn’t. Twice.
Mine didn’t either, (last year), no idea why. I told the man at the entrance, he tried too and then let me in. I filled in the form manually 🙄 Maybe they’re just old phones, I know I should update mine…

Damien, have you had this problem outside of Santiago?

Here in Oregon, I frequently have to use a QR code (iphone 12, chrome) to access restaurante menus, etc. To make that work I need to ensure that I have wifi off (or I'm on wifi with specific local service) - otherwise, it will try to connect to the ubiquitous internet provider (xfinity) that I don't subscribe to. If wifi is off and cell service is on, no problems. If I forget that my wifi is on, the site never loads and I become that doddering older person who can't their phone to work.

Don’t wait until you get to the pilgrims office to register and receive a QR code. You can do it on the website days in advance. You then show this to the security guard and he will give you the QR code with you number on it. The only reason for the QR code on this one is so you can leave the office and check your place in line. It was really easy.

And while we are waiting for someone to post a first photo of the QR code in question (aka QR-1, see above) .... we can entertain ourselves by watching the counter on the webpage of the PO/Cathedral that counts how many Compostelas have been given out so far today and whose number is next. It's ten minutes past 10 o'clock in Santiago de Compostela, the Office has just opened its doors and they are currently serving the pilgrim with number 12 while I type this post. Click on Contador turnos.

🙃

And we can also sum up the known work arounds. What to do when it does not work? So far, we have:
  1. They give you a paper form and you fill in your data manually (bring your own pen - preferably).
  2. There are plenty of pilgrims and volunteers around who will help you.
  3. You can contact friends who fill in the online form for you and send you the confirmation.
  4. You can use your mobile phone to log on to the Pilgrims Office website and clicked on the Register tab to go directly to the online form (no QR reading required).
Any other work arounds?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And we can also sum up the known work arounds. What to do when it does not work? So far, we have:
  1. They give you a paper form and you fill in your data manually (bring your own pen - preferably).
  2. There are plenty of pilgrims and volunteers around who will help you.
  3. You can contact friends who fill in the online form for you and send you the confirmation.
  4. You can use your mobile phone to log on to the Pilgrims Office website and clicked on the Register tab to go directly to the online form (no QR reading required).
Any other work arounds?
I think they actually want you to register ahead of time. From what I hear they are going to have volunteers at Monte Gozo showing you how to register ahead. Possibly they will have the QR there. I did it a few days ahead on the website and just passed for the groups of people trying to figure out what to do. I assume the QR code takes you to the website anyway. Isn’t that what QR codes do. Of course you do need phone service or Wi-Fi.

I think they actually want you to register ahead of time.
I had been tempted to add a point 5 to the list of known work arounds: Hospitalero/a in albergues close to Santiago will help you ☺️.

I remember that way back when all this had been introduced - in the summer of 2019 ! - posters had mentioned that they filled in the online form either in the Milladoiro albergue or Monte do Gozo albergue (or both) and that the hospitalera/o had assisted them and that the QR code that takes you to the online form had been displayed in the albergue. And, yes, as you said such QR codes are nothing other than a link to a webpage.

However, I could not locate the post, and since I like to doublecheck, I did not mention it ... ☺️

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
BTW, the process is actually simple. You don't need QR-2 for anything. What you need it the 8 letter/digit code that you receive by email and text message. I think that the only person who has ever described the process simply and accurately posted in this comment https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/applying-for-compostela-2022.73807/#post-1010186.

You fill out the form. You get a code consisting of digits and letters by email and text. You note it down, for example on your credencial. You show the 8 digit/letter code to prove that you filled in the form. You get a waiting list ticket. You wait until it's your turn. You show your 8 letter/digit code again. You receive your Compostela.
I do hope you're talking about me! 🥰

no entiendo porque es en español?
As I said 20 posts ago, we must be clear about the issue, and the more precise the details are that are provided in describing the issue the easier it will be to find an answer to a question ... . Asking without a quote or further reference in Spanish I don't understand why "it" is in Spanish? does not really fit this suggestion ... :cool:

I think they actually want you to register ahead of time. From what I hear they are going to have volunteers at Monte Gozo showing you how to register ahead. Possibly they will have the QR there. I did it a few days ahead on the website
Yes.. Since last year up at Monte de Gozo, the ACC have an information point set up at the Capela de San Marcos, where you can get a sello and register to get your code.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No, you are not the one who described the process simply and accurately.

You are the one who got 10 out of 10 points - or was it 100 out of 100 points - for understanding a simple process in which you had no active participation so far and which has been described in what must be by now hundreds of forum posts, some of them more complicated than necessary and some of them confusing and/or confused, and all of them posted with the best intentions in the world. 🥰 back at you. :cool:

You are the one who got 10 out of 10 points - or was it 100 out of 100 points - for understanding a simple process in which you had no active participation so far and which has been described in what must be by now hundreds of forum posts, some of them more complicated than necessary and some of them confusing and/or confused, and all of them posted with the best intentions in the world. 🥰 back at you.:cool:
😢 I'm not sure I will ever recover from this.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

You are the one who got 10 out of 10 points - or was it 100 out of 100 points - for understanding a simple process in which you had no active participation so far and which has been described in what must be by now hundreds of forum posts, some of them more complicated than necessary and some of them confusing and/or confused, and all of them posted with the best intentions in the world. 🥰 back at you. :cool:
Yes, @MaxHelado nailed it in this post:
Blimey. I thought walking the Camino would be the hard bit but it looks like that's a metaphorical walk in the park compared to getting a Compostela! :oops:

I've never done a Camino before so I have no knowledge of the process other than what has been written in this thread but let me try and capture some of the main points and then let's see if I've got it right. So here goes........

Before I get to the office in Santiago:
  1. I can find the application form on the website of the Oficina del Peregrino https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/ under the "Register" tab. I can make an application any time I choose and I will be sent (by email and/or text) an alphanumeric code. I'm walking at the end of May/early June and could, theoretically, make my application right now.
  2. I should keep the alphanumeric in a safe and sensible place. One good suggestion is writing it on my Camino passport.
At the office in Santiago
  1. When I arrive at the Pilgrims' Office I show my alphanumeric code to a volunteer who says "Great! This means you've already entered most of the information we need and we will be able to access your application quickly by entering this number when it's your turn. Come on in, take a ticket and join the queue".
  2. Sadly, my alphanumeric code does NOT get me into a priority fast-track line. In fact the alphanumeric code is nothing to do with the queueing system. That's why I have to take a ticket and join the queue.
  3. If I have my mobile phone with me I can check my queue ticket number and get some indication of how long it might be before my number comes up. This means I can go and have a coffee or perhaps even a badly needed foot massage.
Now back to the experts.

How did I do?

😢 I'm not sure I will ever recover from this.
When will you move from theoretical learning to active mastering the task in the field in or near Compostela? Provide, hopefully, a succinct but detailed description from beginning to end, perhaps with a photo of QR-1? Clear away lingering doubts related to QR-2 (I know when, where and how it gets created but how exactly does it get into the iPhone when you are on your own and without helpful friends, and is it ever used), perhaps bolstered by a survey of say 10 volunteers and 20 pilgrims? You show a lot of promise. And of course @trecile has a point.

Edited to add: 🙃.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When will you move from theoretical learning to active mastering the task in the field in or near Compostela? Provide, hopefully, a succinct but detailed description from beginning to end, perhaps with a photo of QR-1? Clear away lingering doubts related to QR-2 (I know that when, where and how it gets created but how exactly does it get into the iPhone when you are on your own and without helpful friends, and is it ever used), perhaps bolstered by a survey of say 10 volunteers and 20 pilgrims? You show a lot of promise. And of course @trecile has a point.

Edited to add: 🙃.
You remind me very much of a schoolteacher I used to have……

This one may be a bit technical. I arrived at the Pilgrims Office twice last year in SDC. Now each time thankfully I had friends with me. So after enjoying the square in front of the Cathedral, we’d head down the ramp and to the right to the Pilgrims office… where the QR sign is posted. It’s posted so you can check in and receive a QR code that when read at a second location you get a number for your turn to meet with the friends at the office and receive desired documents. Like getting a number at a bakery.

Using ATT iPhone 12 totally updated, employing ATT international data plan. No local SIM.

The workaround is to have friends to connect to the QR, and then I use their phone to fill out my info. They get the “new QR” assigned to me and then they send it to me via Airplay, WhatsApp, whatever.

From that point on everything works perfectly. I show my delivered (via friend) QR code at the second place at the office and from then on I can wander SDC with no more server errors while waiting for my number to get close, so I can head back. Complete intended functionality.

I am on about a kindergarten tech level so I google everything. Maybe this may help. I use the qr code shortcut on my Iphone SE and I never have a problem. Used it in Santiago in December without a hitch.
https://9to5mac.com/2018/06/26/ios-12-how-to-use-the-control-center-scan-qr-code-shortcut-on-iphone/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

This doesn’t answer your question, but others may have use of this: Last July I used my iPhone 6s with safari and standard app, but with MUNDO sim vice ATT, to read the QR code, and it all worked fine. I got the SIM as always at Madrid airport upon landing, 20 euro for 20 Gigs and plenty of local calling for 30 days. No waiting to get to cafes or albergues for wifi or their slow speeds.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I’m from Canada with iPhone and had same problem. Go back when they open. The people at entrance will bring you in to complete a paper form and then you go inside to shorter lineup. Process took me about 15-20 mins at 10:00 a.m.

I have sent @Albertinho a private message to ask him to take a picture of the QR code posted at the office, since he is currently working there. He said that he will do it tomorrow.
And @Alberthino has delivered!!! Thank you to this current volunteer at the pilgrims office in SdC! Now everybody can try the first step for themselves and see how easy it all is without even being in Santiago. I'll copy the relevant photo in a following post.

So here is our QR-1 (first image below). I pointed my iPhone 8, iOS 15.4.1, at it. I'm on my WiFi network. It recognised the link immediately and took me to the webpage (second image below) where you start the process of filling in the online form for your application for a no doubt well-deserved Compostela. Escoge un idioma = Chose a language. Any problems, anyone? If not, then we've already eliminated a number of potential explanations for the issue described in the first post.

(For test purposes, you obviously need to either print the QR code or view it on another device than your iPhone ☺️)
QR-1 and linked page.jpg

Last edited:
I have sent @Albertinho a private message to ask him to take a picture of the QR code posted at the office, since he is currently working there.
He said that he will do it tomorrow.
great, thanks 🙏🏽
So here is our QR-1 (first image below). I pointed my iPhone 8, iOS 15.4.1, at it. I'm on my WiFi network. It recognised the link immediately and took me to the webpage where you start the process of filling in the online form for your application for a no doubt well-deserved Compostela. Escoge un idioma = Chose a language. Any problems, anyone? If not, then we've already eliminated a number of potential explanations for the issue described in the first post.

(For test purposes, you obviously need to either print the QR code or view it on another device than your iPhone ☺️)
View attachment 121938
worked a treat for me ... and exactly as expected🙏🏽

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ok… totally works for me too from California on my Wi-Fi & with my cellular connection, using Safari and standard camera app.

I think it must be something weird with my data connection while in Spain. Remember it worked for friends! I’ll be back in Santiago in May, but the wonderful advice offered earlier for workarounds has me less worried about it!

Now I am going to wait a little bit to see whether everyone is on board before we move to QR-2 and the little puzzle that I have finally solved, I think. Because you see we have pilgrim office volunteers who say you must absolutely have this second QR code while other pilgrim office volunteers say, no, you don't need to present a QR code at our desk, you only need to present the alphanumeric code that is emailed and texted to you after you had registered your data in the online form and that you may have written with a pen or pencil on the margin of your credential so that you don't have to whip out your mobile phone again when it's your turn to proceed to our desk but we have seen pilgrims who presented both their QR-2 code and their alphanumeric code.

This is of course only of interest to us who read this forum and are trying to make sense of the posts here. For the overwhelming majority of the 320,000+ pilgrims who got their Compostela since the 'new' system was put in place in the summer of 2019, this is of no importance. They did their thing and got their Compostela. They did not ask themselves how it works; it worked and that was all they cared to know, and rightly so.

🙃

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, I was hoping for clarification on that point in the other thread a few days ago...

Get in as soon as your number is shown at the big screen above the door and show the QR code on your telephone to the staff
So we can find your registration and your correct names

Do the counter staff now have the means to scan the actual QR code from your phone to access your details or are they still using the 8 digit code to find your information as was the case last year?

Last edited:
where were your friends from? what countries?
1 x USA using local Spanish sim and an iPhone. He had no problem. 2 x UK no issues (I don’t remember the make of their phones). 2 x Czech Republic, no issues, prolly Androids. 1 x Austria, no issues! I believe I said before it might be a personal issue! Just me and my totally updated iPhone 12 using ATT international data plan which basically cycles me through Movistar or whatever local provider is available.

But again, I’d like to thank the nice people out there for troubleshooting my rabbit hole question. Not worried about it. Still curious tho. Trust me in May I will try again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mine didn’t either, (last year), no idea why. I told the man at the entrance, he tried too and then let me in. I filled in the form manually 🙄 Maybe they’re just old phones, I know I should update mine…
And heaven forfend that you should be in Spain with an old phone that has minutes (to call ahead) but no data plan! I had to say "no podemos" because it's not like they're putting up a free wifi for folks to use for this. (If they did that my tablet could do the job.) So they did the old fashioned paper version, and since no one copied my name from the passport or credencial, my middle name isn't on this Compostela. First world problems, right? ;)

Eh, right now I just want to figure out where to walk next and when...

it's not like they're putting up a free wifi for folks to use for this
I had been wondering about this. So the answer is: No.

The topic of the thread is not really a first world problem. More a conundrum or a puzzle. There is nothing wrong with trying to figure out the answer to a puzzle, imho.

These threads often have unexpected benefits. For example, I am a dyed-in-the-wool non-reader of user guides or of the "What's new in this upgrade" info. It was only in the context of this thread that I discovered that I also have an inbuilt Code Scanner app; it does not have an icon on the screens which is I why I had not been aware of its existence until now. You access it from the Control Center. It is faster than the Camera scanner app, probably because the poor little iPhone camera needs a bit of time to figure out whether you want to take a photo of the QR code or read the QR code 😂.

Also, the inbuilt Code Scanner app allows you to tap to switch on the flashlight to have more light and you don't need to tap the url line because you are immediately taken to the website. How cool is that? Thank you, forum thread! :cool:

When I got to Santiago in October of last year, I had no idea there was a sign outside the pilgrims office with a QR code to read. Friends who had arrived a day earlier messaged me that I should bring up the Pilgrims Office website on my mobile and fill out the form before getting to the office. I didn't question why, I just accepted that was the process. LOL So I did that on a break before reaching Santiago. It was only once I arrived to the office that I learned I had bypassed reading the QR code on the sign outside the entrance. With code already "in hand", the volunteer at the door let me walk right in to get my queue number. Easy Peasy 🤷‍♂️

I haven’t been on the forum much these last few days but can’t resist being a “Kathar1na guinea pig.” But I am probably way out of sequence.

The QR code worked fine for me. One issue, perhaps — the English link takes me to a page that says “create a group.” But the Spanish link takes me to a page that says “Alta Individual.” Is that of any relevance?

I haven’t been on the forum much these last few days but can’t resist being a “Kathar1na guinea pig.” But I am probably way out of sequence.

The QR code worked fine for me. One issue, perhaps — the English link takes me to a page that says “create a group.” But the Spanish link takes me to a page that says “Alta Individual.” Is that of any relevance?
Hey Laurie, the issue for me was actually getting to the first URL, the one on the sign. My friends had no problems. Recent tests have indicated that I can access the URL from California no problemo via local cable Wi-Fi and local Att cellular. My “guess” it’s something to do with my Att international plan… I am the one on the trip who ignores advice to buy sims in Europe and just prefer to pay like $100 / month for unlimited data access using existing set up. Anyways, there are easy workarounds.

And now for the first time ever on this forum, all three QR codes in a row: QR-1, QR-2 and QR-3. The good news first: You can get a Compostela without them. However, if you have a smartphone and want to make use of it, for your own benefit and for the benefit of the Pilgrims Office and their staff and volunteers, here's another short run-down:
  1. You can ignore QR-2. While QR-1 and QR-3 are on a piece of paper and your smartphone can scan them and make use of them, QR-2 is on your own smartphone and you cannot scan it. From all I can gather, including @ivar's recent interview with current Pilgrim Office volunteer @Albertinho, nobody at the office scans QR-2 or makes use of QR-2 either. You will see this black and white square for a short moment after you have submitted your form. But contrary to long-standing advice on the forum, you don't have to save it. You can forget about it. However:

2. What is important is the 8-character long code that comes with QR-2. You will see it briefly on the screen, and you could write it down. But no worries, it will be emailed to your email address (don't make a mistake when you enter your email address into the form) and texted to your mobile phone number (don't make a mistake when entering it either). Show this 8-character code to the volunteers because it allows them to find your data in their computer. This is your personal identifier. In the example below it is 2204UDOA.

3. We have discussed the purpose of QR-1 and QR-3. QR-1 takes you to the online form to fill in and QR-3 takes you to a counter where you can see which ticket number is currently being served and when it's your turn. In the example below, 412 would be your own waiting line number.
It's really really easy, although given the volume of output that we managed to squeeze out of this topic over the course of nearly 3 years might make you think otherwise.

Scan them! ☺️
QR 1-3.jpg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And now for the first time ever on this forum, all three QR codes in a row: QR-1, QR-2 and QR-3. The good news first: You can get a Compostela without them. However, if you have a smartphone and want to make use of it, for your own benefit and for the benefit of the Pilgrims Office and their staff and volunteers, here's another short run-down:
  1. You can ignore QR-2. While QR-1 and QR-3 are on a piece of paper and your smartphone can scan them and make use of them, QR-2 is on your own smartphone and you cannot scan it. From all I can gather, including @ivar's recent interview with current Pilgrim Office volunteer @Albertinho, nobody at the office scans QR-2 or makes use of QR-2 either. You will see this black and white square for a short moment after you have submitted your form. But contrary to long-standing advice on the forum, you don't have to save it. You can forget about it. However:

2. What is important is the 8-character long code that comes with QR-2. You will see it briefly on the screen, and you could write it down. But no worries, it will be emailed to your email address (don't make a mistake when you enter your email address into the form) and to your mobile phone number (don't make a mistake when entering it either). The volunteers want to see these 8 characters because it allows them to find your data in their computer. This is your personal identifier. In this example it is 2204UDOA.

3. We have discussed the purpose of QR-1 and QR-3. QR-1 takes you to the online form to fill in and QR-3 takes you to a counter where you can see which ticket number is currently being served and when it's your turn (in the example, 412 would be your own waiting line number).
It's really really easy, although given the volume of output that we managed to squeeze out of this topic over the course of nearly 3 years might make you think otherwise.

Scan them! ☺️
View attachment 122064
Just to be sure like, Qr-1 is the important one as far as reading on my local phone, this is the one that doesn’t work for me only. Now friends and helpers can access it, so I just use their phones literally to fill out the form. After that they receive QR-2 and they just send it to me via AirPlay or WhatsApp. Qr-2 and Qr-3 are never actually scanned by me, it’s for the nice people at the office only.

Just to be sure like, Qr-1 is the important one as far as reading on my local phone, this is the one that doesn’t work for me only.
It's not that important. It's just an easy way to get to this page on the Pilgrim's Office website where you can register. To avoid the QR code problem in the future just bookmark that page on your phone's browser.

It's not that important. It's just an easy way to get to this page on the Pilgrim's Office website where you can register. To avoid the QR code problem in the future just bookmark that page on your phone's browser.
Yep. Bookmarked it this morning. But a Qr-1 is just a url for whatever reason doesn’t work in SDC iPhone 12, updated, using Safari and Att international data plan.

A note on a different potential explanation for the Q1 issue...
My husband and I arrived in Santiago July 24th, 2021. Both of us had Samsungs with US Sim cards (ATT) , but when we'd arrived in Spain, my phone connected to Orange, and his to Vodafone ( as far as I remember).
My phone *never * accessed the Internet using a cellular connection. So I could scan the QR code, but I never was able to access a website without using WiFi. His worked just fine, and I used Damian's tricks of using my husband's phone to register and obtain QR2.

A note on a different potential explanation for the Q1 issue...
My husband and I arrived in Santiago July 24th, 2021. Both of us had Samsungs with US Sim cards (ATT) , but when we'd arrived in Spain, my phone connected to Orange, and his to Vodafone ( as far as I remember).
My phone *never * accessed the Internet using a cellular connection. So I could scan the QR code, but I never was able to access a website without using WiFi. His worked just fine, and I used Damian's tricks of using my husband's phone to register and obtain QR2.
My guess too is the difficulty connecting to initial URL (QR-1) is something to do with the ATT international plan, as that’s what I had but nobody else. On the plan my phone would readily access the internet via cellular however… I mean it worked the whole time otherwise. I think it’s supposed to figure out which local cell provider has the best signal and switch accordingly. This can also be accomplished manually in settings. Darn it though I don’t remember if I tried to switch networks in front of the office…

I just used my camera and clicked on the little yellow box which transferred me to instructions. Husband with a Samsong told the guy he couldn’t do it so he filled out a paper form!

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.