• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why have you written on the Camino-stone ?

Hanne

Hurricane-Hanne
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés(2007&2008), Finesterre&Muxía(5times), Portugués(2009), Aragonés(2008), Primitivo(2011), Vasco del interiór(2012), Inglés(2009), Via de la Plata(2013&2015), Sanabrés(2013), Del Norte(2013), San Salvador(2015) and Inverno(2015).
Camino Baztan and Le Puy in the future.
On my recent camino to Finesterre and Muxía, I noticed a lot of writing on the Camino-stone; Names and mantras etc., but why ??
If it's just because it was fun in the moment, a better option would be to take a selfie of you and the stone and make a update online.
I don't think other pilgrims care, that you have been there, and it does not look good with all the grafitti on the camino-stones, so please don't do it in the future !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't know why people have the need to deface things with their scribbling but it's gone since history began. I saw graffiti on walks in Pompeii dating back to its heyday.

It is ugly, selfish, and rude in my opinion. I wish people would stop.

A couple of years ago some idiot spray painted right to life messages all over the stones and walls.

On my recent camino to Finesterre and Muxía, I noticed a lot of writing on the Camino-stone; Names and mantras etc., but why ??
If it's just because it was fun in the moment, a better option would be to take a selfie of you and the stone and make a update online.
I don't think other pilgrims care, that you have been there, and it does not look good with all the grafitti on the camino-stones, so please don't do it in the future !
I am seeing a lot of graffiti and it's really annoying. I don't need to see peoples names. I don't care if they were here. It means nothing. It adds nothing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I doubt very much that any members on this forum are writing graffiti on the Camino.
We are a very , very small percentage of the pilgrims.
Unfortunately, there is really no way to reach those who do these things.
But it's ok to be grumpy eh?
I get grumpy.
I like to be grumpy.
I like grumpy people.

Kind regards (yeah right)
Gerard

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't know why people have the need to deface things with their scribbling but it's gone since history began. I saw graffiti on walks in Pompeii dating back to its heyday.

It is ugly, selfish, and rude in my opinion. I wish people would stop.

A couple of years ago some idiot spray painted right to life messages all over the stones and walls.
I agree completely with Hurricane-Hanne, but have to add that Romans at Pompei didn't have smart phones which, OTOH doesn't mean that nowadays "we" are cured from sending messages in different ways :D

I am seeing a lot of graffiti and it's really annoying. I don't need to see peoples names. I don't care if they were here. It means nothing. It adds nothing.
On Camino Sanabres this year (I think in spring) a guy named Evan (or Ewan?) sprayed his name on every possible surface there is. At first it seemed kind of funny but after a day or two seeing his name for 30 or 40 times each day it really annoyed me. I thought to myself: "So what if you were here?!!! Give me a break or I'll walk faster and find you somewhere and sprayed my name all over your face!" :p

Never got to meet him though...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On Camino Sanabres this year (I think in spring) a guy named Evan (or Ewan?) sprayed his name on every possible surface there is. At first it seemed kind of funny but after a day or two seeing his name for 30 or 40 times each day it really annoyed me. I thought to myself: "So what if you were here?!!! Give me a break or I'll walk faster and find you somewhere and sprayed my name all over your face!" :p

Never got to meet him though...
Yes, so what if any of Is were there? Let's,just leave it the way we found it, instead of asking it to change to fit our suburbian needs.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes this reminds me of how wonderful the stone buildings, walls are. The graffiti so takes away from the hard work to build them. It is very unfortunate.

I doubt very much that any members on this forum are writing graffiti on the Camino.
We are a very , very small percentage of the pilgrims.
Unfortunately, there is really no way to reach those who do these things.
You are probably right! First- (and only one-) timers on the Camino de Santiago, not pilgrims, who can't stop the walking. The Camino-holics ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I wonder. There was packing list post early this year (actual list was in a linked blog, so a search here doesn't find it easily) where the items included "black marker, in case I feel like doing some graffiti" and I was kind of surprised that not one person who responded mentioned that.

Last edited:
The mojones are just granite or concrete. They have little significance to the Spanish except as markers. I suspect most of the artists are from Spain. I would never carry the additional weight of a marker pen, so it isn't me. ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One name I really resent seeing is that of pinturero falangist José Antonio Primo de Rivera, carved into the stone of the Praza de Quintana above the memorial to the Batallon Literario of 1808.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The mojones are just granite or concrete. They have little significance to the Spanish except as markers. I suspect most of the artists are from Spain. I would never carry the additional weight of a marker pen, so it isn't me. ;)
Best laugh I have had all day! I used to laugh at cutting off the handle of a toothbrush....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The biggest responsibility lies on the first person who writes on a fresh, clean surface...

Others will take this as licence to scrawl ...

Only grafiti that I did like was going up to the Cruz de Hiero:

- on the last traffic sign before the top ;

"Learning to Fly, as I ain´t got no wings"

first signpost after the cross:

"Coming down is the Hardest Thing..."

Forgot to take a snap, but it kept me humming Tomm Petty the rest of the stretch....

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back