• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why I am Considering Leaving This Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertS26

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, (2013)
Camino Frances, (2014)
Camino Frances, (2015)
After almost a decade of receiving and giving information on this forum I am considering on leaving. I have not posted as much as some others, but I average 8 likes per post. That seems to be a very high number compared to most. But I am very much considering leaving. Why? I am frustrated. For example:

1. People with a lack of knowledge commenting. For example, when someone asks, "What's the best city to fly into? Paris or Madrid." People who have only flown into Madrid will post that "Madrid is the only way to go!' And people who have only flown into Paris will post "Paris is the only way to go!" In my opinion you should not be commenting unless you have flown into both Madrid and Paris.

2. People not giving context to their answers. A few years ago, someone asked if the climb out of SJPP was as difficult as some people were saying. A woman responded that she found it surprisingly easy. When I PM'd her, I found out that she started walking in Le Puy and was an aerobics instructor back home. Well, she should have found it easy under those circumstances.

3. People giving medical advice. I simply cringe when someone posts they have lower leg pain and want to know what to do about it. And people post all sorts of solutions without any medical background. That lower leg pain may not be shin splints, it may be a blood clot.

Finally, it drives me nuts when discussions metastasize. For example, today, someone posted that there is no language barrier on the Camino. But that quickly metastasized into something else. The original point was to let people know that the fear of not speaking Spanish should not stop you from walking the Camino. And yes, I understand, based upon extensive travels across Europe, that not everyone speaks English--especially in out of the way locations. But that was not the point of the post. It was about the non-existence of a language barrier on the Camino. Not a language barrier in the middle of nowhere.

Over time, I have chided people about these kinds of issues. But it seems that I am urinating into a stiff wind.

Maybe it's time to give up.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Over the years, I have often had these frustrations and others of my own creation. All of us can present arguments about how OUR posts are logical, to-the-point, and useful, whereas OTHERS are not. We need to accept that the truth lies somewhere in-between, an internet forum has certain weaknesses, and there are many less-sensible/intelligent/nice people out there. I simply do not see any possible way that can be eliminated while retaining a somewhat open forum.

Categorical statements annoy me too. Except of course when they are accurate and when people should understand MY context and qualifying thoughts.

When the effort and frustration reach the point of overwhelming the joy, learning or other value, then it is time to step back. From the forum, or other situations.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After almost a decade of receiving and giving information on this forum. I have not posted as much as some others, but I average 8 likes per post. That seems to be a high number compared to others. But I am considering leaving. Why? I am frustrated. For example:

1. People with a lack of knowledge commenting. For example, when someone asks, "What's the best city to fly into? Paris or Madrid." People who have only flown into Madrid will post that "Madrid is the only way to go!' And people who have only flown into Paris will post "Paris is the only way to go!" In my opinion you should not be commenting unless you have flown into both Madrid and Paris.

2. People not giving context to their answers. A few years ago, someone asked if the climb out of SJPP was as difficult as some people were saying. A woman responded that she found it surprisingly easy. When I PM'd her, I found out that she started walking in Le Puy and was an aerobics instructor back home. Well, she should have found it easy under those circumstances.

3. People giving medical advice. I simply cringe when someone posts they have lower leg pain and want to know what to do about it. And people post all sorts of solutions without any medical background. That lower leg pain may not be shin splints, it may be a blood clot.

Finally, it drives me nuts when discussions metastasize. For example, today, someone posted that there is no language barrier on the Camino. But that quickly metastasized into something else. The original point was to let people know that the fear of not speaking Spanish should not stop you from walking the Camino. And yes, I understand, based upon extensive travels across Europe, that not everyone speaks English--especially in out of the way locations. But that was not the point of the post. It was about the non-existence of a language barrier on the Camino. Not a language barrier in the middle of nowhere.

Over time, I have chided people about these kinds of issues. But it seems that I am urinating into a stiff wind.

Take a break. There’s no need to be categoric.

Despite the occasional frustration there is no more comprehensive, better informed and moderated forum on the general topic of ‘Camino’ than this.

Compared to pretty much any other forum in which I occasionally participate the general standard of civility here is exceptional.

Take a break. There’s no need to be categoric.

Despite the occasional frustration there is no more comprehensive, better informed and moderated forum on the general topic of ‘Camino’ than this.

Compared to pretty much any other forum in which I occasionally participate the general standard of civility here is exceptional.
Also - consider the ‘ignore’ function. I have an ignore list the size of the Mumbai telephone directory and I often recommend that other participants ignore me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In my opinion you should not be commenting unless you have flown into both Madrid and Paris.

The level of control you (seem to) want to impose on others is for sure contributing to your frustration. I too, get irked from time to time, but when my feelings cross into gatekeeping territory, it's a losing battle. The moderators are terrific at making sure threads aren't derailed and rules are being adhered to, and as others have said, this a forum with multitudes of experiences and opinions from many countries and cultures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friend Robert,
I don't really know what you are talking about. I know for a verifiable fact (just ask me) that everything I have ever said was the most correct, perfect answer that could be given. It goes without saying that others only serve to add fluff to forum while I am occupied with the demands of correcting others not on the forum (talk about a zoo of n'er-do-wells).
I could go on with my poor sarcastic attempt at humor but let us back up a few steps and take a few deep breaths. Our fellow contributors are trying to do their best to assist others. The degree of reliability of these answers may not equate to those of others, but I really don't think that our fellow pilgrims are trying to mislead others.
What to do? I would ask you to continue to take a few deep breaths and not take this forum or your own self so seriously. It is not the end of the world and those who pose questions have a plethora of responses to review before they make their own choice.
If you want to leave or slow down your use of the forum, then do so. But do it without rancor or other bad feelings. Do it for healthy reasons and then when you are ready, come back and read. As for me, I don't read nearly as much as a used to. I drop in every week or two to touch base with people who understand a part of my life and can rejoice in some of the things that I hold sacred.
His peace surround you, hold you, and guide you.

@RobertS26 -

Yep, give it a rest for a bit. You have a valuable and nuanced perspective ...and I would hope the Forum can retain access to it.

As my last "boots on the ground" experience is now 5 years past, I find little opportunity to honestly opine on anything but the most generic aspects of the Camino, so my contributions now are sporadic, at best.

But it is still a fun place to hang out once in a while.... and encourage the knowledgeable commenters who are grounded in context with a "like".

B

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After almost a decade of receiving and giving information on this forum I am considering on leaving. I have not posted as much as some others, but I average 8 likes per post. That seems to be a very high number compared to most. But I am very much considering leaving. Why? I am frustrated. For example:

Go ahead. Do you still have credit on your subscription? Don't waste it, sneak in from time to time, but don't hit the send button! I have actually read all the replies above, and you will see there that a broad opinion - opinion - not scientific fact - concurs that this forum is very well moderated. I have been coming out from my own stepping back, slowly - but like another poster above, I have little to say that is useful currently, so am learning to mind my own business and let a lot of it fly past. I read one reply to someone recently: go for a walk. Great advice! 😁

I know what you mean, up to a point. I sometimes wonder why people who have enough technical skills to use the forum do not use those same skills on Google to answer their questions with much greater accuracy and speed. I think the answer is that for many people, the forum is a space. It is a space where they can interact with, hopefully, like-minded people and where they can ask naïve, innocent questions without being ridiculed or shouted down. But I do find it frustrating sometimes. I don't know if you are of that generation (I suspect you may be) or whether you are a fan, but in situations like this I always find this helps:

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One thing to consider is the fact that people are sincerely trying to help when they offer opinions, give information without context, or go off on a tangent. I don’t think it’s done to intentionally mislead people, but our opinions are naturally based on the level of experience we have. And a real benefit of having members like you who have been around for a long time is that we can provide that context when it’s missing — either by linking to older threds, pointing out that a particular opinion may be too narrowly focused, or just adding our own opinions. But if that’s frustrating for you, I join the chorus that says — step back, take a break, or ignore the things that get to you.

I think it’s unreasonable to expect this forum to be a more perfect example of human behavior than what we find in our own “real life” worlds. But it’s a lot easier, and a lot less consequential, to just ignore the frustrating parts when they are written on a computer screen than when you are up close and personal with them, so I consider it good training.

I've been a member for about 12 years (a few months before my first Camino) and have found over the last several years that I usually only participate in threads where I have something concrete and beneficial to contribute. This tends to be about those less traveled Caminos as I admit that I too can become frustrated when the same question is asked x amount of times (just to gives one example). As a result I'm not as frequent as before but still maintain my connection to this IMHO great community.

Everyone is free to come and go but sometimes a break can also be healthy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Aww schuccks. If you’re leaving, leave. It’s the internet, people are people.

I understand, based upon extensive travels across Europe, that not everyone speaks English--especially in out of the way locations. But that was not the point of the post. It was about the non-existence of a language barrier on the Camino. Not a language barrier in the middle of nowhere.

I have read the other post and I don't see how it digresses. It is about language on the Camino. People have different opinions, that's all.

I really enjoy and appreciate the forum because I can get valuable information from it on various caminos. To me it's simply food for thought. The threads I'm not as interested in, for example the 300 opinions on different ways to pack your pack, I simply skip. But I would argue profusely for the right for those threads to exist. Others obviously like them, that's good enough for me. I enter the forum accepting others feel differently and I'm very much okay with that. You don't have to comment on or even read everything...sometimes just let it go.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I recently asked , on this forum, how difficult was Camino del Norte. Someone replied, it was difficult. I was worried because I was planning my camino and wanted a clear understanding of what it was like. I asked for a definition of difficult. I did Le Puy in 2014. I just finish Camino del a Norte and it was DIFICILÍSIMO! A different kind of “difficult” . There is such a thing as “individual differences” not two individual see things the same way. You can’t control that.

Maybe the forum is a large slice of the world pizza pie, we all want different toppings, maybe some are better cooks than others and some don't even want to cook.
We are all different,with different perspectives and different needs.
Reading the forum does not compel anyone to respond or participate, but it does allow us to interact with others from all over the world, in a civil manner. On the forum we can experience life, love, death, through the goggles of other people, which can groom, coax, support, coerce , and revive our spirit. The forum allows us to learn, and to mentally travel vicariously through the reports of others when we are living our daily lives away from the Camino.
Personally, I take the forum as it is, people asking and offering their experiences and advice, and am grateful that Ivar and his cohorts provide this mental and visual landing pad for all of us to utilize. In general, I think this forum is, and gives us the opportunities , to be kinder, gentler, caring people in a world that sometimes lacks sufficient doses of those things. My old guy pals and I were and are grateful for this forum in our planning and reminiscing. We believe our Camino/s and forum experiences have made us better people and continues to contribute to forging a better version of our older selves. Gratitude is a great quality to groom, especially here in the USA, and especially during this week of Thanksgiving.
As I finish this, the lyrics of the song "Bare Necessities" from the animated movie "Jungle Book" came into my head.

As in life as well as on the Camino we will meet know it all, self interested characters. A simple Buen Camino usually suffices then beat feet or slow down and let it all pass through. . Buen Camino!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
IMO this forum is very well moderated.
I was once on a cookery forum and let me tell you that it was very b*tchy at times and those were discussions about making a roux...😉😆.

I am sure posters here use the ignorefunction to zone me out , like I do with others.
Bit as my visit to the pub today. If I see someone whom I prefer to avoid I just do that. If it is someone I like, we most probably will start a conversation.

Last edited:

I agree with HenrytheDog's comments. This is an extremely valuable forum --- I have learned so much from people, including yourself, who have posted on it. I think that in life in general, one finds people who fail to understand the question or who seemingly know it all. I would urge you to step back for a bit if you feel you must but not to exit altogether. Your contibutions to this Forum can continue to play a vluable role in properly educating pilgrims.

€46,-
I have always agreed with the saying, 'That opinions are like a******s, everybody has one.'
That said, the moderators are balanced here in that they will let discussions go fairly long and only shut them down before they go completely sideways!
It is often a matter of separating the 'wheat from the chaff' when reading a particular thread.
It is human nature that almost everyone believes how they go about doing something is the only 'correct' way.
I have learned a lot from others here and rather than getting offended, or annoyed, I tend to chuckle at times from some of the posts.
I probably enjoy the photos that others post about as much as anything here and I often find myself saying, 'I walked that route and never saw that.'
But ultimately all forums continually evolve, some come, some go. Some stay for a long time, others not as much. I think that is how forums ultimately stay healthy and relevent.

Some stay for a long time, others not as much. I think that is how forums ultimately stay healthy and relevent.
This is a great point. When Ivar first started the forum, we were many fewer, and our range of camino experience was probably much less. We were all much more “in the same boat.” Members had either walked the Camino Francés and maybe the Norte or Portugués, or were interested in doing so. Now we’ve got people who have walked for years and years, who walk caminos where there are no pilgrims, and it’s inevitable that our perspectives are going to be much more wide-ranging. Added to that is the fact that the amenities level on the Francés has changed so much that the camino is now a possibility for many who would never have considered it before. So we’ve got many more people with a much greater diversity in interests, abilities, and experiences. So the forum has to change to reflect that.

I personally think that one way to keep the forum healthy and relevant is for us old timers to be patient and try to remember what it was like when we were the newbies and the camino was a much different place than it is now.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Robert, the reasons you give for leaving are exactly the reasons a person like you should stay.

RobertS26, I hope you don't leave; your input will be missed by many, including me. Take a break if you need to, but I hope you continue to post in the future.

Your three points are well taken, but, in my experience, this forum has no more, and generally less, of that sort of thing than any of the other forums I follow. As others have said, our members are human and what you discribe is pretty typical human behavior, on fora or elsewhere.

I joined the forum before my first camino - something over 10 years ago. I find that I get less useful information from the forum each year; I hve worked out the answers to pretty much all of my questions as I walked 5,000 kilometers of pilgrimages in Spain, France and Italy. The first time I saw a thread asking what to pack or what shoes to wear I was fascinated. Now, not interested.

You may be in somewhat the same boat. But, over the years, as you learn less from posts, the value of your input grows. I hope we get to continue to benefit from that input.

Your observations echo my frustrations. However they are the same frustrations I have with any and all forums and chat threads I get involved in. For me, the Camino was a microcosm of the world we live in, presented to us in a geared down, time to think and consider format. There were Pilgrims who irritated me however in being in that amazing Camino state of mind I accepted that it was their Camino, that was their life. Not for me to bitch about nor waste energy fuming about. Nor attempt to have them change their character because it irritated me. And when I couldn't throttle back my irritation, the solution was to walk faster or slower, stop for a bocadillo or whatever pause that took me away from their irritation sphere. I feel the same with the keyboard warriors who type before thinking of the value or relevance of their comments. Can I handle a particular post and its comments? No? Well then at the first sign of steam coming out of my ears, time to move on to the next thread. Or if I'm in too much of a cranky mood, time to move out of the Forum and revisit the next one later. Or, if the frustration just wouldn't let go, I guess I would have to leave the Forum but I'm not there. If that's where you are Robert, makes sense to say adios. Its your Camino and not ours to comment nor judge.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Where is the "ignore" function? I have never noticed it! If I want to ignore, I simply do it....
Click on a user name …

Mine probably shows as slightly worn given the number by whom I’m rightfully ignored.

This is an even more niche reference than usual; but back in the 70s and 80s there was a low-brow ‘variety’ programme on UK television - the ‘Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club’. The occasional MC’s routine (Norman Collier standing in for Colin Crompton) was to pretend his microphone wasn’t working and he only spoke alternate words or partial sentences. You had to see it really. That’s what many threads look like to me.

Last edited:

Have you considered simply turning around 180 degree to stay dry? It's not that hard.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Perhaps another perspective is worth considering. This forum isn't a court room where truth is discerned by burning away the irrelevant in the crucible of debate and evidence. It's a one room school house. Here the younger students are puzzling at how to open the plastic box of crayons their mother thoughtfully stuffed in their pack, or discern the purpose of that plastic "V" shaped thingie with a hinge and a sharp point on one side and a pencil on the other. Meanwhile, the seniors are working through the quantum mechanics-like puzzle of finding the ideal routing to Zaragoza considering a starting point in Cincinnati, coupled with the fiesta on that day and the threat of a strike by Renfe.

It's human nature for the tall students to vote for basketball for today's gym class, while their smaller peers are plotting how to clandestinely puncture the ball. Everyone has to come to class, but not everyone comes similarly equipped, or is there with the same purpose.

I think everyone has shared your frustrations at one time or another, I was immediately reminded of the immortal words of Mr. Incredible in

which I hope is broadly viewable. Rather than being frustrated by all this, I try to find a place where I can contribute. Generally, I just respond to an aspiring pilgrim that I can help to better prepare, ease fears, or bolster self confidence. I will never persuade the mob that their brand of shoe is not the answer to life, the universe, and everything. There is no way that I can save the world, and keep it saved, here. However I can, perhaps, provide one person with something useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a one room school house. Here the younger students are puzzling at how to open the plastic box of crayons their mother thoughtfully stuffed in their pack, or discern the purpose of that plastic "V" shaped thingie with a hinge and a sharp point on one side and a pencil on the other. Meanwhile, the seniors are working through the quantum mechanics-like puzzle of finding the ideal routing to Zaragoza considering a starting point in Cincinnati, coupled with the fiesta on that day and the threat of a strike by Renfe.
I LOVE this analogy and have bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks!

I walked my first Camino earlier this year, and I sifted through this forum daily for months before I went. I found it extremely informative and useful, and I'm grateful for all the advice I got here.

Of course, I was mindful of the fact that if you ask a question of 10 different experts, you'll get 10 different answers. Anytime you are sifting through advice, you have to separate out the wheat from the chaff and use what works for you. Sometimes there's a lot of chaff!

The other advice I try to be mindful of comes from my wife: sometimes the best response is no response at all. It's difficult sometimes, but usually a good idea. Ignore it. Move on. Let the moderators do their thing. They do a good job!!

€60,-

If I would follow your way of looking at things, I would complain about your statement. No language barrier on 'the Camino'? Ever tried the Camino de Invierno, the Mozárabe or almost every other lesser known Camino without a word of Spanish? I assume with 'the Camino' you mean the Camino Francés, but there is no such thing als 'the Camino'. I won't blame you. Like I won't blame others for telling that Paris or Madrid is the way to go.

I have been here (on and off) for at least 11 years and this is definitely the most constructive, polite, informative and well-moderated forum I have ever known.

Last edited:

Humans are difficulty 😂😂

Consider the forum for the many questions and answers that are good. Agreed, some are more useful than others and uninformed opinions can be extremely annoying, but I expect most readers can detect and filter them out.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know I sometimes feel like replying “ Use Google” FGS!
Yeah, and how many times have we thought, "Why the heck don't you read the whole thread before you reply?!" or "What's with the silly off-topic post?" :eek:🤣

We all have "interesting thoughts," but attending to a more enjoyable thread works wonders to give them space to float away without being fed. Photo threads are fun, and never contentious.

Sounds like you need another camino??? enjoy. and keep posting

€46,-
After almost a decade of receiving and giving information on this forum I am considering on leaving. I have not posted as much as some others, but I average 8 likes per post. That seems to be a very high number compared to most. But I am very much considering leaving. Why? I am frustrated …

From David Foster Wallace’s 2005 commencement address, “This Is Water,” at Kenyon in 2005.

“It just depends what you what to consider. If you're automatically sure that you know what reality is, and you are operating on your default setting, then you, like me, probably won't consider possibilities that aren't annoying and miserable.”

In general people are more intelligent than we think. If there is some bad advice (in your or anyone else's opinion) there is far, far more good. We can separate the wheat from the chaff.

In general people are far more intelligent than we think. If there is some bad advice (in your or anyone else's opinion) there is far, far more good. We can separate the wheat from the chaff.
In the context of the forum I do agree; the good far outnumbers the bad.

In general though, if one thinks how stupid the average person can be (and I most certainly hold my hand up to that) then we must accept that half the population’s more stupid than that.

€46,-
I have only walked one camino, the Frances, and flew into Paris. I would give advice about getting to SJPDP from Paris. What is wrong with that? I wouldn't report that journeying from Madrid or Barcelona is better. I also do have a bugbear though. People who ask a question before doing a search of the forum first. The same questions gets asked over and over. I probably did the same when I commenced researching the walk. These days, sometimes I respond and sometimes I don't.

One thing to consider is the fact that people are sincerely trying to help when they offer opinions, give information without context, or go off on a tangent. I don’t think it’s done to intentionally mislead people, but our opinions are naturally based on the level of experience we have. And a real benefit of having members like you who have been around for a long time is that we can provide that context when it’s missing — either by linking to older threds, pointing out that a particular opinion may be too narrowly focused, or just adding our own opinions. But if that’s frustrating for you, I join the chorus that says — step back, take a break, or ignore the things that get to you.

I think it’s unreasonable to expect this forum to be a more perfect example of human behavior than what we find in our own “real life” worlds. But it’s a lot easier, and a lot less consequential, to just ignore the frustrating parts when they are written on a computer screen than when you are up close and personal with them, so I consider it good training.
That seems to be lost on some. I am also considering leaving.

I think that you've just given all the reasons why your presence is so valuable and why I'd like you to stay.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Roberts26 - thank you for your ten years of forum contributions.

I guess the forum in some ways is like a school - there are the permanent staff like the mods, and long serving members and then there are the students - that neverending flow of people that decide to walk a Camino or two and who look to the staff to learn from.

The problem is that, like school students, the neverending flow people ask the same questions over and over.

The other problem is that when the staff chime in, it's like a staff meeting where a topic inevitably gets off track or goes on too long and that's when the mods step in.

They say "It's your Camino" and in a way, it's your forum and mine and everyone's.

There is nothing wrong with taking a long service break! Maybe this is a good time.

If and when you return, tell me I'm wrong, but there will be new train of neverending people with mostly the same old questions.

The Camino will go on, long after we are gone, and what an absolute joy it has been to discover and partake walking a Camino or two and hopefully Match 2023, a third. And yes, I was one of the neverending in 2015. 😀

Now, I'm probably one of the highly ignored, occasionally fuming because one of the mods has closed a thread before I was able to add my sixpence worth. 😇

But yes, Roberts26, you have probably helped more people over the years than you are aware of! Cheers

Last edited:
This is a forum, people express opinions, if you are tired of giving answers then don't, let someone else do it. Have a look at our motto for some guidance.
We have a Motto !?
(BTW I only discovered the forum rules after being here for a year or two).

Oh my !
I enjoy the forum , the views, the humour, etc. please take what interests you, be tolerant of those who asks travel hints, tips and tricks and the warnings. all are valuable sources of info if it applies to you - FyI We have started from Madrid and Paris it was based on research and our needs to start the Camino .
Please don't let the responses get you down ... its a wonderful journey and sharing info is part of the journey ... i for one dont read every one but those that interest me - the forum is a valuable source and provide wide and varied opinions relax and enjoy .... its not competition of who or right or wrong - its sharing - so you can form your opinion -
Ps dont give up 😊
HRR

1. I disagree. Sometimes info needs to be patched together—ie 2 different people—one who came into Madrid and one who came into Paris.
2. I agree that not giving context isn’t that helpful. However, there always seem to be others who do give context, and thus overall allows readers to come to a pretty good conclusion (or at least a range of possibilities depending on the readers specific situatio).
3. I’m an internal medicine doctor from the US who rarely needs to give any advice as I rarely see any posts that needs medical advice. I think the readers know that most of the advice is from the non medical (especially as most of the inquiries don’t need or require a medical doctor)
4. Moving away from the original question can be frustratin. However, I have also seen moderators close down discussions for this very reason. And when I see the post going off topic, I have no problem switching to another post.
I agree that if you are finding yourself upset or stressed out by the posts, considering a break from the forum might be right for you. There are thousands of people on the forum. Sometimes we all might forget that these are individuals with different personalitie and needs.
I wish you the best with whatever you decide.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, well, for the Latin scholars, how about you translate the real motto, published on the front page of the forum? "Where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn. Helping pilgrims since 2004".

Yes, well, for the Latin scholars, how about you translate the real motto, published on the front page of the forum? "Where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn. Helping pilgrims since 2004".
Ubi praeteriti peregrini communicant et futuri peregrini discunt. Peregrinis adiuvandis ab MMIV

Isn't Google translate a wonderful thing? Though I suspect 'ab' is wrong.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well; it’s been a while but: pilgrim is peregrinus; so in the plural (lupus, lupi, lupo …) it’ll be peregrini.

Where is ‘ubi’ and communicate and discuss will be commuinicant and discunt or discant.

As to forming that into a sentence and filling in the many gaps; it’s been 44 years and I only did Latin because my dad wouldn’t let me do woodwork. I’m not sure why they were mutually exclusive options, but there you go.

Latin in the Forum. Apt. Possibly a reason to bring out the daggers (et tu Brutus?) but not to leave.

I am not sure if we are still on topic, but this thread only reinforces my view that we have a great bunch of members, and diversity is a wonderful thing.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I suspect it’ll be the Norwegian for ‘quantum ille canis est in fenestra’

Your starter for ten points …

Haha I'm trying to learn some basic Norwegian right now and it's HARD...too hard for me. But maybe this stretched idiom fits, given that we're all at different stages in life and on the forum. :)
Man skal ikke skue hunden på hårene
Translation:
You shouldn’t judge the dog on its hairs
Meaning: You shouldn’t judge a book by its cover.

And I am always learning. Had never heard of the Scunthorpe problem before. Down the Google rabbit hole again.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Finally, it drives me nuts when discussions metastasize. For example, today, someone posted that there is no language barrier on the Camino. But that quickly metastasized into something else.
And with the digression into Latin, we come to the final phase of a forum thread. 😂

Haha I'm trying to learn some basic Norwegian right now and it's HARD...too hard for me. But maybe this stretched idiom fits, given that we're all at different stages in life and on the forum. :)
Man skal ikke skue hunden på hårene
Translation: You shouldn’t judge the dog on its hairs
Meaning: You shouldn’t judge a book by its cover.
Close

My offering was the skool motto for St Custards as any fule no. It loosely translates as ‘How much is that doggie in the window!’

If you’re not a slightly bookish 50+ British male that may be total gibberish.

i think you need to go on a big long walk !

€60,-
Close

My offering was the skool motto for St Custards as any fule no. It loosely translates as ‘How much is that doggie in the window!’

If you’re not a slightly bookish 50+ British male that may be total gibberish.
Indeed. ITI SAPIS POTAND ATI NONE. God only knows what the OP thinks of all this. Half of me thinks enough already, time to close. The other half thinks no, let's let it run and see where it goes.

I find it interesting when people feel the need to post on any board/forum regarding their desire to leave the board/forum and why. If you aren't happy on said board/forum... just leave.

As for postings and replies - for the most part - people are simply trying to be helpful, in the way they know how to be helpful. As with everything - you won't like everything you read. Your opinion will differ often. You won't think everyone's replies are relevant. Not every reply will have context attached (in fact - most don't). All of this, in my opinion, is simply to be expected. If frustrated and/or it stresses you out - then yes - take a break or leave the board/form. No need to explain.

Please do not do give up because your comments are exactly the kind of commonsense and succinct view that persons undertaking their first Camino, or walking a route that they haven't done before, need! That said, and at the risk of confusing non English speakers, I agree that it is a case of having to sort the wheat from the chaff.

As far as urinating into the wind goes, I was going to respond to the invitation a few days ago to recount one's funniest moments on the Camino by saying that I did exactly that on the Camino Frances in 2016 - it was a bitterly cold and windy day; so cold that I was oblivious to which way the wind was blowing. Suffice to say, my wife thought the event hilarious, but it took an hour or two before I could see the funny side....... Hang in there Robert!

Where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn. Helping pilgrims since 2004

to Te Reo Maori
Ko nga waahi o nga manene o mua ka ako me nga kaimorihi a muri ake nei. Te awhina i nga manene mai i te 2004

and back to English
The place past tourists will study with future tourists. Helping tourists since 2004

Shades of the Tower of Babel: I have not had so much fun since 10h today.

To @RobertS26, I can only add similar thoughts. Many members do not read the question (or whatever) carefully and there can be much dross to wade through.

Most of this year I have been absent without leave and had a similar patch about 2 years ago.

I have learnt a lot. And hopefully given as much stuff back.

One little incident, that took seven years to play out, stays with me:
2014:
A member asked for exercises to go up the various hills on the Frances
Picking up some clues from the question, I replied with some specific local hills.

2017:
En route from Torres del Rio to Logrono, I stopped to watch a youngster and his grandfather harvest olives. As I restarted, a pilgrim fell into step. We quickly realised we were from the same country and region. Then followed a catechism type question and answer session:
Are you on this forum? Yes!
Have you posted a request about getting up hills? Yes!
Did you get a reply? Yes!
Was it useful? Yes!

2021:
I am walking on a local beach at low tide with all my gear, including a distinctive garb.
Another person comes across to greet me and to recall the incident of 4 years before.

There have been other similar, shorter lived, incidents

I have trolled through itineraries of others and talked with the authors
I have found a possible great easy route from France into Switzerland (will let you know if it works)
I have watched the notes from many fade away over the years.
But one or two continue and I look forward to reading them.

So, @RobrtS26, I say to you, for all you do, kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, be strong, patient and confident).

Well; it’s been a while but: pilgrim is peregrinus; so in the plural (lupus, lupi, lupo …) it’ll be peregrini.

Where is ‘ubi’ and communicate and discuss will be commuinicant and discunt or discant.

As to forming that into a sentence and filling in the many gaps; it’s been 44 years and I only did Latin because my dad wouldn’t let me do woodwork. I’m not sure why they were mutually exclusive options, but there you go.
I did Latin too (the examiners complained, as they did every year, that the student were memorising the translations) but I reckon I can still translate the last part .... MMIV. How is your carpentry these days?

I think you are right but at the end of the day it’s just a forum and like any other communications channels is mainly made up of nonsense. Like overhearing a conversation on a train or a bus, or in a pub!

People come here for a multitude of reasons. To gain knowledge, to impart knowledge, for companionship, because they are bored, for entertainment and so forth.

Some of the things I read on airlines fares, ATM and so on are almost beyond believable, and there is the odd character who shouldn’t be allowed out of their front door, let alone on a Camino, but the end it’s a well meaning gang with some great knowledge on some good pretty obscure stuff.

Try not to let it fester and to be too important. No need to check out your average likes. Just make your point and run for the hills!

As you mentioned yourself - it's time for you to give up....

You sound the right person to belong to this forum and, if you allow, could I make some suggestions and observations.
I treat the forum as I would when in a library or bookshop. I select what i am interested in and leave the remainder untouched and unread. That is not to say I would not revisit old threads at a later date.
I did a little experiment and opened "recent posts". The vast majority were in dark blue (I had not opened, read or showed sufficient interest in). There was only a couple of threads in light blue that I had read. There again, I am not one that spends a lot of time on this forum.
Your point about duplication; repetition and not staying on subject is pertinent and on display in some of the posts. I am sure you were not seeking a Latin lesson which has no relevance to the thread you have generated.
The forum can be like the proverbial curates egg at times...good in parts but generally it does what it says on the tin.
Could I suggest that a sabbatical may be in order and a recharge of batteries. Selectivity in what you read helps and if tbe irritation in some members is the problem then I would recommend the use of the "ignore" button. It is not perfect but eradicates those that say one thing and do another.

I have only walked one camino, the Frances, and flew into Paris. I would give advice about getting to SJPDP from Paris. What is wrong with that? I wouldn't report that journeying from Madrid or Barcelona is better. I also do have a bugbear though. People who ask a question before doing a search of the forum first. The same questions gets asked over and over. I probably did the same when I commenced researching the walk. These days, sometimes I respond and sometimes I don't.
In my defense - I’m very computer challenged - have been on this site for two years + Have asked and received info on HOW TO SEARCH and I still don’t know how to search threads. I barely can post a question. I’m completely lost (easily frustrated) and have little patience with electronics … or most anything. That said this forum was very valuable to me when I partially walked the Camino Frances (September 2022) and I’m so grateful it’s here.

Take a break and/or walk a Camino.

This reminds me a little of how annoying it can be sometimes between SJPP and towards Logroño to have to listen to all of the newbie talk about blisters and so on, frustrating & boring etc, except then I remind myself that I talked the same way back on my 1993, and we've all been there and done that.

In any case, if you do want to leave the forum, don't delete the account - - because if and when you change your mind and come back, you'll be happy to have it still there.

If needed, just change your settings to avoid getting emails.

Ubi praeteriti peregrini communicant et futuri peregrini discunt. Peregrinis adiuvandis ab MMIV

Isn't Google translate a wonderful thing? Though I suspect 'ab' is wrong.
It should be "Vbi praeteriti futurique peregrini inter sesum communicant. Ad peregrinis adiuvam addandum absque MMIV".

Hola Robert,

Sorry, I am coming late to this... if participating here frustrates you... take a break. Say, until spring. Come back for a few days, and if it still frustrates you... take a longer break...

There are people leaving the forum every day... most do not make a fuss about it. Your contributions have been great over the years, and I hope you continue to come by here... but if it does not give you joy, then it might be time to take a break. Long or short...

All the best,
Ivar

€149,-

Come and go. Spend as much time or as little as is required, to make you happy. It's pointless grinding yourself down, over and over again. You are one of many that can answer questions. Let someone else take up the slack.

I don't come here more than once a week and it isn't my life mission to answer everyones question or worry about threads that have a life of there own. If it has become your life to answer every question and care that much, maybe you do need to step back and take a good look around. Life is about living and if you have reached that level of burnout, go do something else. Come back in a month or year (or more). This place will still be here, mostly the same people will be here, the same new posters will be here asking the same questions. ;)

Have a good day. :)

Probably best to keep it in English. Don't want the forum falling foul of the Scunthorpe problem.
My home town from age of 9 & we were taught that the original name was Escum(f)Thorpe or village of the dark men.

I have left the forum before for a while , hence the ‘2’ after my name, also take regular breaks when I become annoyed, then annoyed at my irritability, but I am sure that links to visiting the forum moving to an obsessive activity rather than checking in with forum friends or seeking information. Social media can exert an almost vampiric dependency, breaks are refreshing if only to restore a healthier perspective, at least that is my experience.😬

I find it interesting when people feel the need to post on any board/forum regarding their desire to leave the board/forum and why. If you aren't happy on said board/forum... just leave.

As for postings and replies - for the most part - people are simply trying to be helpful, in the way they know how to be helpful. As with everything - you won't like everything you read. Your opinion will differ often. You won't think everyone's replies are relevant. Not every reply will have context attached (in fact - most don't). All of this, in my opinion, is simply to be expected. If frustrated and/or it stresses you out - then yes - take a break or leave the board/form. No need to explain.
I find it interesting when people feel the need to post on any board/forum regarding their desire to leave the board/forum and why. If you aren't happy on said board/forum... just leave.' @jeanineonthecamino

This is to overlook that for some long serving members there is both an emotional as well as an informational (giving and receiving) attachment to this online gathering. I have read posts that gave support to pilgrims who found themselves bereft or in difficult situations while walking the Camino or unexpected medical diagnosis that put paid to a long-planned departure. Reading of member's life-threatening illnesses, notifications of deaths, requests for prayers for people we will never meet, expressions of gratitude and the candid exposure of fears and vulnerabilities, have all been part of my experience of the posts on this forum. There have also been a few shameless trolls, quickly dealt with by the moderators.
Some of us have made friends of forum members through the option of using PMs to communicate but have never met in person, so this often feels like a family (thank you to Ivar & the Mods) but as others here have written, sometimes family members fall out. I hope that Robert decides to take a break rather than leaving. I have enjoyed his posts for many years and am glad that he shared his thoughts about leaving rather than just disappearing, it seems a courteous thing to do, and his post indicates what a wrench it would be to leave after a decade of belonging.

Of course, everyone has to decide if the pain and suffering they endure reading unhelpful comments on these forums are sufficiently offset by the helpful insights and information to be found here; if the interactions with people you don't get along with are sufficiently offset by the interactions with the people you do get along with. In this way, it is not unlike walking a Camino: there is suffering (or at least effort) and there are rewards. People will decide for themselves if it is worth it.

As with a Camino, there is always the option of taking a "rest day", and others above have suggested perhaps a break from the Forums as an alternative to leaving permanently. Personally, if I ever get too frustrated or unhappy, I am unlikely to permanently closet he door against my return.

In general, we're all imperfect, as is the information and perspectives we share here. We get closer to understanding by looking at the breadth of information and perspectives shared on a particular topic or in answer to a particular questions. We can assess each for its reliability based on the knowledge and experience of the poster, the similarity of their situation to ours, and how much we know of those factors. When I keep those in mind, it helps me to deal with the situations that Robert526 has raised:

For the first, when someone only has experience of one, they can still provide valuable information about that one. Don't trust them on the comparison, of course, but the information they provide can help you make your own comparison. The more information I have, the better able I am to make the comparison myself. If the only person who has done both has very different perspectives and priorities than me, I'd rather that be supplemented by information by people whose priorities are closer to mine. I get to see more parts of the elephant, as it were.

For the second, if people don't give context, don't pay them as much heed. You don't know how relevant it is to you. But it does contribute to the overall mosaic of answers you get.

For the third, even people with a strong medical background may be reluctant to give advice without actually seeing the patient. But having the benefit of a broad range of people's experience is rarely harmful, if one doesn't treat it as qualified medical advice.

It is all about developing good judgement about how useful and valid any piece of information is, which is equally true whether on the forums or Googling something (often recommended as an alternative source of information).

As for the final pet peeve:
Finally, it drives me nuts when discussions metastasize.
I found it amusingly ironic watching this very discussion metastasize into a discussion of the Latin translation of the Forum motto.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I find it interesting when people feel the need to post on any board/forum regarding their desire to leave the board/forum and why. If you aren't happy on said board/forum... just leave.' @jeanineonthecamino

This is to overlook that for some long serving members there is both an emotional as well as an informational (giving and receiving) attachment to this online gathering. I have read posts that gave support to pilgrims who found themselves bereft or in difficult situations while walking the Camino or unexpected medical diagnosis that put paid to a long-planned departure. Reading of member's life-threatening illnesses, notifications of deaths, requests for prayers for people we will never meet, expressions of gratitude and the candid exposure of fears and vulnerabilities, have all been part of my experience of the posts on this forum. There have also been a few shameless trolls, quickly dealt with by the moderators.
Some of us have made friends of forum members through the option of using PMs to communicate but have never met in person, so this often feels like a family (thank you to Ivar & the Mods) but as others here have written, sometimes family members fall out. I hope that Robert decides to take a break rather than leaving. I have enjoyed his posts for many years and am glad that he shared his thoughts about leaving rather than just disappearing, it seems a courteous thing to do, and his post indicates what a wrench it would be to leave after a decade of belonging.
My first paragraph was just an observation of people (in general) deciding to leave a group/forum and announcing it to the world and telling the world why they are unhappy in the group/forum because of the way others respond to questions. I simply find that a strange practice of some - if you want to leave - just do it. No need to announce why and tell the readers you don't like the way some of them are answering questions.

You may notice my second paragraph suggested taking a break or leaving... and yes, taking a break is usually a great option. Especially for long term members of a group. I wasn't saying this person SHOULD leave. That is totally different. And if he chose to leave and wants to stay in touch - why didn't he simply say "I am leaving this group, but if you and I have been online friends - pm me and I will share with you my contact info so we can keep in touch! "?

And I have no issues with people telling us, their online friends, they have some life altering events going on in their personal life and asking for support or explaining their absence due to life issues. That is different from saying I am leaving because I don't like the way some of you respond to posts.

Anyhow - hope he decides to take a break instead. Not like you can just delete your account - so he can come back if he choses.

Take a break and/or walk a Camino.

This reminds me a little of how annoying it can be sometimes between SJPP and towards Logroño to have to listen to all of the newbie talk about blisters and so on, frustrating & boring etc, except then I remind myself that I talked the same way back on my 1993, and we've all been there and done that.

In any case, if you do want to leave the forum, don't delete the account - - because if and when you change your mind and come back, you'll be happy to have it still there.

If needed, just change your settings to avoid getting emails.
Why think in hierarchical terms such as "newbie" and, by implication, "experienced, seen and heard it all before"? Arent we all "Peregrinos" plain and simple - whether it is our first or tenth Camino? And aren't helpfulness, humility and tolerance desirable attributes in a pilgrim?

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Should I delete your account?
I have just come home from burying a friend - away all day, emotionally tired and back to this thread. And find this is still going on. And on. Have not read any more, but suggest closing this thread. Or I will use my recently acquired knowledge of how to use the ignore function. Good night! Buen camino! Bon courage! Whatever may apply to your case...

Why think in hierarchical terms such as "newbie" and, by implication, "experienced, seen and heard it all before"? Arent we all "Peregrinos" plain and simple - whether it is our first or tenth Camino? And aren't helpfulness, humility and tolerance desirable attributes in a pilgrim?
How interesting! When I used the quote function to populate this, there is some additional text here that doesn't appear in the posted item above, which I have italicized.

I was going to say at the outset that I don't accept the implication @Donaldclive proposes here, at least not so far as it applies to the Camino. I hope that I will continue to walk, but not to refresh an experience that I have already had. I expect that whatever pilgrimage I do next will bring new and different experiences to later reflect upon, and share with others.

There is, however, some element of truth in his suggestion that those of us who have been forum members for several years will have seen it all before. And yes, new members - newbies if you like - make themselves pretty obvious in this process as they seek to inform themselves about how they prepare for and undertake their first pilgrimage.

When the same questions get raised as part of this cycle, it can be tempting to say 'the answer is still what it was last year when we last answered a similar question', and even perhaps to forcefully suggest the member asking should learn to use the search function. This seems less to be done less often that it might once have been, and I don't think that is a bad thing. For a start, just as every year brings its 'newbies', they also bring members who have experienced their first camino and who are enthusiastic to share that with others.

And in some things, there is great strength in matters that lend themselves to that to have a broad range of options presented for discussion. It is rare that there is one simple and universally correct approach to any of the myriad matters we discuss here. More, it helps all of us if our thinking on some things is tested in a more wide ranging discussion.

I know that I am much more selective today about what matters I choose to discuss. Don't think I am not tempted, but there are now many more members able to object to some of the more egregious nonsense when it gets raised, and I am happy to leave that to them.

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.