• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why is there soooooooooooo much choice!?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hello folks ... and I'm sorry in advance because you may have been here before!

I've read and read so many threads on here and other forums about sandals. I had my heart set on a pair of Keens (Newport most probably) but I keep reading about Teva's... and numerous others but these two come up time and time again.

I cannot find a stockist of Teva's or Keens within a few hours of me (even thought the website says there is) so have to buy online... I am loathed to buy shoes like this as I have such wide feet but I want a pair of hiking sandals and so I have no choice but to order without trying.

I am leaning towards the Keen for the toe protection but I am swayed by the Teva;s because they are so open.

So... if you have big wide feet (like me) and have purchased either Teva's or Keen's which did you buy? Were there problems? How did they fit? Did you buy your actual shoe size for sandals or go bigger?

all suggestion welcome... I think :confused:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
www.zappos.com will take returns and pay shipping both directions.

Hike in sandals only if you know you can! They offer no ankle support, and your foot slides on lateral crossings across sloped pathway. If you are slipping out of your sandal at the same time that you are slipping on the ground, there is quite an end result.:)

Do plenty of sandal hiking before you go to know for sure. For walking around the albergue or town, zori and Crocs are excellent. You can hike in Crocs.

I am leaning towards the Keen for the toe protection but I am swayed by the Teva;s because they are so open.

So... if you have big wide feet (like me) and have purchased either Teva's or Keen's which did you buy? Were there problems? How did they fit? Did you buy your actual shoe size for sandals or go bigger?

Les, don't know if this helps, but I have very wide feet and a high instep - and I can't get my feet into the Keens Newport - even the men's.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lesbrass,

I concur with Falcon: hike in sandals as primary footwear only if you know the sandals will be satisfactory -- before starting your camino.

I have settled on Keen footwear because they provide a wide toebox, which I need because my little toes -- through some genetic selection -- curl under, leading to blisters. (If this is a problem for you, too, then I can show you a simple way to wrap your little toes to prevent such blisters.)

Thanks chaps - this was the last thing I looked at before bed and the first thing I pondered when I woke up!

My decision last night was to get Keen's as my sandal and a pair of flip-flop crocs - which perhaps seems over-kill as I'll have 3 shoes but I think it should be ok. I have my boot for walking when needed, the Keens for walking when suitable and the croc as a slipper and shower shoe?

I currently wear an inexpensive pair of decathlon sandals and I wear them all the time... in fact I rarely wear shoes if I can avoid it, even in winter. I've always liked my feet to feel open, maybe because they are wide and shoes can be so uncomforatble for me? So I'm hoping that, even though I've not walked in sandals, because I'm used to wearing them it will feel more natural to me? But... I have 10 weeks to wear them in and get used to them too.

Honestly, do you know I've made choices for all of my kit and happy with the information here and elsewhere but I'm really fretting with shoes.

Lesbrass,

I have settled on Keen footwear because they provide a wide toebox, which I need because my little toes -- through some genetic selection -- curl under, leading to blisters. (If this is a problem for you, too, then I can show you a simple way to wrap your little toes to prevent such blisters.)

If I ever get a bliter with shoes it's always my little toe... it's a weak spot for me. I also walk on the side of my feet and I just want to do whatever I can to make sure my feet feel comfortable and get me to Santiago... so all help is very welcome!

So... I think I need to stop worrying quiet as much... and buy the shoes! I've been wanting Keens for months and really thought I would buy them in Bordeaux... even if the worst happens and they are not good for walking I can use them at home and I've heard they last forever.

Thank you folks... I really do appreciate your time and input!

I currently wear an inexpensive pair of ... sandals and I wear them all the time... in fact I rarely wear shoes if I can avoid it, even in winter.
Me too, and I would never wear sandals for hiking! Test your theory with some actual cross country, rocky hiking with a backpack.

Three pair of footwear is overkill. Make a decision and take only two. Save the weight. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My husband said much the sameon the overkill front - I'm going to buy and test... or as he says buy and test... buy and test... buy and test :cool:

LesBrass,

Since learning to tape my little toes, using a method I think I picked up from John Vonhof's "Fixing your feet", they haven't blistered since Zubriri -- including subsequent treks on the Appalachian Trail.

Little toes often blister because they curl under the adjacent toe, leading to formation of a wedge-shaped callous. The trick to preventing such blisters is to prevent the wedge-shaped callous forming, by wrapping the toe in tape to maintain the roughly round shape of the toe. I use small strips of KT tape, secured with a piece of duct tape (and when I haven't had KT tape have used duct tape exclusively). This is a case where a picture is worth a thousand words (attached). First, wrap a strip of tape around the end of the toe so the tape covers the nail and pad of the toe. Second, wrap a strip of tape around the circumference of the toe to secure the first piece of tape and to hold the rounded shape of the toe. Third, apply a piece of duct tape to secure the circumference tape. Fourth, apply Vaseline or some other lubricant between the toe and adjacent toe (so the tape does not cause friction on the adjacent toe). Keep all cut ends of tape away from the adjacent toe to eliminate points of friction. Repeat each morning of a long walk, especially if the long walk includes hard descents.

ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1404396302.013459.jpg

I've read and read so many threads on here and other forums about sandals. I had my heart set on a pair of Keens (Newport most probably) but I keep reading about Teva's... and numerous others but these two come up time and time again.

I cannot find a stockist of Teva's or Keens within a few hours of me (even thought the website says there is) so have to buy online... I am loathed to buy shoes like this as I have such wide feet but I want a pair of hiking sandals and so I have no choice but to order without trying.

I just bought two pairs of shoes for training for my walk next summer. While my feet aren't wide, I have bunions, which means I need a wide toe box and a wider type shoe. I tried on the Keen Newports and they hurt, just standing there in the shop. The Keen's Whisper sandals, which look very much like the Newports, feel very good. So, that is what I bought in one size larger than normal to accomodate for socks and swelling. I believe the Whispers weigh less than the Newports. They are also considered a water shoe.

If you have problem feet, like I do, then worrying about shoes is sort of a necessity. I bought two pairs of very comfortable and outrageously expensive shoes for a trip to Italy a few years back. I threw in a pair of old, truly ugly nurse/waitress-type shoes "just in case." Take a guess which pair of shoes I had to wear after I got blisters?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

LesBrass:

Take your time in making this decision. Sandals, shoes or boots, in my opinion, are/will be the most important piece of your kit. As your feet go, so goes your Camino.

I personally would never walk in sandals. That said, I have seen many who do. Good shopping.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi to accommodate wide feet and socks for my Camino during cold months I got a pair of Tevas
men's size. I would not use them in the Camino itself though mainly for off days and as end of day shoes... Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I walked in a pair of "Dark Earth Merrill" walking shoe - 1 full size bigger than I normally wear however I did wear 2 pairs of socks when I walked. When I wasn't walking I wore my Tevas - same size that I normally wear. Loved my Tevas. I picked them up at Mountain Equipment Coop in Vancouver Canada. Personally I would not wear sandals on the walk in order to protect my toes and feet in general but I absolutely loved wearing my Tevas in non-walking the Camino situations. Still do 1 year later. Good luck on your shopping.

Once I had my good equipment purchased and broken in I was very confident in my ability to walk the Camino. Buen Camino to you and have lots of fun

I cannot find a stockist of Teva's or Keens within a few hours of me (even thought the website says there is) so have to buy online... I am loathed to buy shoes like this as I have such wide feet but I want a pair of hiking sandals and so I have

no choice but to order without trying.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.