• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why is this the beginning route from Porto?!?

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese, Aragon, Norte, SJWayUK, Nive
Simple question: why does the first day’s route on the Central Way from Porto follow a busy thoroughfare versus a less-busy route from village to village, passing by churches and town squares? The current way-marked route skirts a number of villages where you can see the church towers and hear the bells, preventing the modern pilgrim access to the shade, water, and spiritual visits found on the CF routing.

Given that this is a fairly modern iteration of the Way (the “real” one ran towards Braga), I am really curious as to how this route was selected. Anyone?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Simple question: why does the first day’s route on the Central Way from Porto follow a busy thoroughfare versus a less-busy route from village to village, passing by churches and town squares? The current way-marked route skirts a number of villages where you can see the church towers and hear the bells, preventing the modern pilgrim access to the shade, water, and spiritual visits found on the CF routing.

Given that this is a fairly modern iteration of the Way (the “real” one ran towards Braga), I am really curious as to how this route was selected. Anyone?
Good question…. I felt a bit like that on the day *into* Porto as well. A string of towns along a highway, but most inaccessible, on the other side of a noise-barrier. IIRC that was the walk from São Jão do Madeira and while I am very accepting of industrial/ugly walks, that one seemed to be really long….

Exactly! I don’t mind the industrial or traffic or cobblestones IF there is a purpose to the route. This one seemed purposefully non-pilgrim.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The start point is the Cathedral on the river but if you walk down the hill to Sao Bento Rail Station, you can not only enjoy the tiled walls but you can take a train to Sao Romano a few miles out and close to the Central route at Portela.

Attachments

• P1000139.JPG
    P1000139.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 27
St. James ways usually follow (more or less) historical paths.
That’s my point exactly! The historical path actually went to Braga but even if a minor path went towards Vilrão, it would have gone village to village and church to church. The way-marked “Central Way” skirts those specific landmarks, avoiding churches and village centers by a km or so. The current path is not only DEFINITELY not the historic one, but it’s a terrible layout for pilgrims.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I never understood why pilgrims rave about the Central route from Porto. The first few days I found dangerous along busy roads with many cars parked on the sidewalk. Drivers didn't seemed to pay much regard to pilgrims although there were few when I walked it in March. It wasn't until about day 4 that it got IMHO better.

The route out of Porto following the Coastal route or Litoral was safer.

One perspective on reflection is to look at pilgrims chosen path as the main roads of passage - also in continuous traditions some 800 plus years back

It was a paradigm shift for me to look at overview European route maps a millennium ago and the two lane / high speed road net of today - complexity was very similar and often going in parallel - history repeats itself somehow

On my Portuguese pilgrimage I started in Faro - one entry port from the Middle East and the holy land. Equally on “via del a plata” from Cadiz and not Sevilla I followed mostly history but sometimes it was totally changed- suburbia today was countryside of yesterday 🤔

Ultreia 🙏🏼!

That’s my point exactly! The historical path actually went to Braga but even if a minor path went towards Vilrão, it would have gone village to village and church to church. The way-marked “Central Way” skirts those specific landmarks, avoiding churches and village centers by a km or so. The current path is not only DEFINITELY not the historic one, but it’s a terrible layout for pilgrims.

Last edited:
One perspective on reflection is to look at pilgrims chosen path as the main roads of passage - also in continuous traditions some 800 plus years back

It was a paradigm shift for me to look at overview European route maps a millennium ago and the two lane / high speed road net of today - complexity was very similar and often going in parallel - history repeats itself somehow

On my Portuguese pilgrimage I started in Faro - one entry port from the Middle East and the holy land. Equally on “via del a plata” from Cadiz and not Sevilla

Ultreia 🙏🏼!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I cannot answer your question. However many people follow the coastal route initially to avoid the industrial start of this Camino. You can do this a number of ways. Either taking the Metro to Matosinhos and picking up the coastal route or grom the catherdral following the river to the coast and then heading North to Matosinhos. People then elect to head inland at Vilar do Conde or continue slightly further and take the Bus to pick up the Central way.

I know that the Pilgrim's Office disagrees with me but I've always taken the view that I can choose my route to Santiago. Them little yellow arrows are helpful sometimes and have sometimes been painted by Lucifer in spite. If I don't like where they're pointing me I'll go another way (Way). Modern mapping apps make for easy decisions but in the old days a compass or at least a wrist watch so I knew what time of day it was ergo which direction I should be walking got me to most places I wanted to be.

I've not walked from Porto yet, but when I do I'll try and walk those Villages and Squares. My way, not the High-way

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Simple question: why does the first day’s route on the Central Way from Porto follow a busy thoroughfare versus a less-busy route from village to village, passing by churches and town squares?

Good question. But sorry, have no idea of the answer.

I walked out of Porto 3 years ago on the central route, just because I had never done it before. (I have always walked to Matosinhos as I LOVE that particular walk out of Porto.)

It wasn’t too bad. Being a Sunday there wasn’t too much traffic and noise.

However, I did take the left fork after about 7 kms onto the “Caminho de Costa” to get back to the coast.

Nearing the airport I passed SIX cafes between 1.30 and 2.30 that were ALL closed.

I finally got a (lukewarm) beer at the Hotel Aeroporto.

But, hey, I eventually ended up at Orbitur Angeiras with my own bungalow (pilgrim discount) for 14 euros.

A rather weird day on the camino.

The fork on the central route, about 7 kms out of Porto, that takes you to the coast:

1324.jpg

So the current paths were signposted within the past 40 years and while folks claim they follow ancient routes, well believe what you’d like. As such, my original question was simply: why did the committee that laid out this modern route choose a path away from village centers and churches?!??!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back