• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why isn't Spain a cheaper vacation?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As with the weather, be prepared for sudden change! These articles make me laugh...so many words written and still nobody has a clue what's really going on or what to do about it. Just keep an eye on the situation because when it all comes crashing down it might happen quickly, which will affect exchange rates etc.

It's Spain, so there will always be lots of food and wine. Nobody will starve. :D

Buen Camino!

& Spain can only get better in my eyes(it's wonderful already), could go back to Barcelona anytime & enjoy Gaudi somemore.......... :) . I find Spain a very proud country, Portugal is similar,......people are still family orientated, & have not lost it like most prosperous countries around the world.

I know this is a generalistic comment; my opinion only, so please don't shoot me too much :D .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Pieces said:
*putting the gun down*

I think that would more be a matter of religion than of prosperity...

I think little to do with R, just simple things like serving you a coffee, you feel its the best coffee they've ever made, it's written on their face, time & time again. Very Humbling..... :D

The pride and professionalism of the Spanish camarero, restaurateur, hotelier or anyone offering food or shelter are admirable. Indeed a joy to behold to anyone who has endured engagement with the "hospitality" industry here in the UK. The quiet pride of the Senora who fed me, the sole peregrino and sole customer, in Riego de Ambros a few weeks ago will remain in my heart for ever. As will the thought "I got all this for how much? And a smile!"

Spain is a cheap "vacation" compared to most of the Euro zone, it always has been. But sometimes it isn't the cost we should consider but the value...

Falcon's post is a nice teaser but I don't think it hangs that close to the Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think little to do with R, just simple things like serving you a coffee, you feel its the best coffee they've ever made, it's written on their face, time & time again. Very Humbling..... :D

i was in northern spain on a walking tour.....went into a tiny hamlet called Sin...ordered a coffee (once i skirted past the giant barking dogs in the central piazza). The guy serving ..never went neer the coffee machine...just pulled a coffee from under the counter! As i went to sip it every one in the bar stopped talking and looked at me.

As scarey places go...Sin is top of my list.....conversly..Poo...50 km north is lovely and fragrant

To answer your point a little more seriously though...
I spend a lot of time walking in the UK and can say that Spain is universally cheaper than most of europe and the people seem genuinly happy to help

Tincatinker said:
The pride and professionalism of the Spanish camarero, restaurateur, hotelier or anyone offering food or shelter are admirable. Indeed a joy to behold to anyone who has endured engagement with the "hospitality" industry here in the UK. The quiet pride of the Senora who fed me, the sole peregrino and sole customer, in Riego de Ambros a few weeks ago will remain in my heart for ever. As will the thought "I got all this for how much? And a smile!"

Spain is a cheap "vacation" compared to most of the Euro zone, it always has been. But sometimes it isn't the cost we should consider but the value...

Falcon's post is a nice teaser but I don't think it hangs that close to the Camino.

We agree with you entirely. we too are humbled by the kindness and service received at what ever the 'price'. The last isn't what is important, the pride in service and the smiles matter so much more, along with the little extra kindnesses.

A thought:- Why should Spain be a ´"cheap vacation"?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The real point of the article is that the Euro zone has prevented Spain from lowering prices to attract more tourism, and has aggravated its employment and economic problems. Spain WANTS to be a cheap vacation in comparison to places like Germany for the economic stimulus. As part of the Euro, Spain cannot take advantage of currency fluctuations. When the Euro drops in value compared to the U.S. dollar, as it has since I had to purchase Euros in April, the cost of a vacation in Germany drops at the same rate as the cost in Spain. There is no benefit to Spain of a declining Euro.

The cost of a Euro has dropped from $1.35 to $1.27 since we were there David! I could purchase more cafe con leche now (perhaps vino tinto in our case) each week for the same dollar equivalent. :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
For a generation Spain was the bargain bucket,bucket and spade capital. Millions were lured to the Costas by the cheap prices and home from home food.The Northern coast with better food and higher prices was mainly enjoyed by the madrid population.Turkey,Croatia and Eygpt have taken lots of the cheap package tours....thus Spanish resorts are left to chase middle bracket vacations or have empty beds

None of this really affects the camino....few walkers want to get blind drunk for £10.00 and go clubbing

you can still get a week self catering inc flights for £200.00...in Alicante or Benidorm

& get an even larger hangover, found it pretty hard getting up La Faba & beyond as it was. Gosh it was cold that day!

Tom, I think it probably because you guys have found some gas somewhere & the US dollar has got expensive @ last :), & the euro was to much anyway.
To be honest I know nothing about these exchange rate & don't care either. I am alive & happy most of the time, what more do I need. Was with an 80yr old man last night, he makes me feel 125, just amazing picture of health :D .

Spain was just amazing, it kept on getting better & better, our Camino came to us, not the other war around. We fell in love with the cathedral, esp as we did a tour by a girl who was speaking many languages, in the evening sun on top of the roof between showers. Even our last pilgrim meal was great.
David

falcon269 said:
Here is a good explanation of the Euro factor:

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/ ... picks=true
on the same link there was an article stating that 15% of Americans where below the poverty line of $42000 for a family of 5 and in some area's this rose to 50% so maybe not that many able to take vacations anyway and thats after 200 odd years of those United States
our so called Euro zone is the first fledging steps of a United States of Europe-one I would be proud to be part of,if this means that part of our first tentative steps to getting there means that Spain is not the cheap option it once was to our cousins across the water-then thats a cross we will have to bear :wink:
Ian

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Spain is expensive country because of the Euro zone. This affect the tourism there. The things are expensive and much money have to pay to purchase anything. I was there last year and it was an expensive trip of mine.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.