• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why Norte over traditional France

BHop

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - Camino Frances - Finisterra
Hi all,

I`ve got a few ideas going around in my head about how best to spend 90 days doing a Camino this summer. I`m curious to hear your opinions on why you`ve decided to do the Norte route instead of the traditional Frances route. Other than, of course, less crowded trails, albergues, etc.

Ciao for now!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Norte was my 1st camino , Frances 2nd. I like them both, very different in Landscape, terrain, infrastructure. I had no expectations before walking the Norte so did not get caught up in what it should or shouldn't be, I found it very beautiful and uplifting. The Frances is special, I think not only does that come from from the amount of varied and quite exceptional people who walk it but also the sense of continuity that comes from the way the route largely just stretches out in front of you but also the historical depth of it.

The main reason I walked the Norte 1st was I wanted to walk from my house in Exeter to Plymouth and then get the ferry to Santander and on to the Norte, otherwise I might have gone for the Frances first. Both are worth walking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
7 years ago, when I first wanted to walk the Camino I wanted to walk Del Norte because I had just lost my mother, and she was from Santander. But back then there were not as many albergues and Iwould not have been able to walk some of the great distances. So I walked the Frances. Both offer beautiful scenaries, important cities here and there. The main difference in my opinion is the contact with other pilgrims. Norte is more about walking, Frances is more social, summer camp for adults I like to call it ;0)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Frances first. At the time, I thought it was the only Camino. Since that time, I have walked several other Camino's. I have found them all to be a little different. In regards to choosing one over the other, that would depend on what you want from your Camino. The Frances, topographically speaking, is more varied considering the Meseta. The route has more traffic and is therefore more social. The Norte is Coastal and provides one with many scenic ocean views. Day in and out the Norte, imo, is a little more physically challenging and while having fewer Albergues has some very nice ones.

If I had 90 days, I would probably walk them both and then go walk the San Salvador and Primitivo.

Ultreya,
Joe

Consider Le Puy for a start point, it has many admirers on the Forum who have walked various Camino's and rate this as the Jewel. But JP Flavin has it with the San Salvador/ Primitivo, visually stunning, very difficult days but fulfilling, can't wait to walk them again.

I looked up an answer I gave earlier ;-)

Del Norte compared to CF:
Longer route
Much more up and down, endless up and down
More asphalt
Not as crowded, but sometimes even there too many people!
Sometimes walking on the beach, not often, and many times with view on sea but on the cliffs
Several (large) tourist cities, these are obviously very commercial.
More (youth) hostals
Not so many nice terasses with red parasols to have a drink!
Colder and wetter due to distance to sea
Differences in landscape not as obvious as along CF (famous three parts with 'flat' middle area (Meseta) and rebirth (Galicia) at the end.) CdN is more 'more of the 'same'
Possibility to leave the del Norte for the C Primitivo!
Both are fine camino's!
For me the CFrances is a better camino to start a camino experience!
CF has greater diversity of nationalities.
CF has more Americans!
CdelNorte is a more social one, as you probably have to ask the 'locals' The Way more often.
Not as much cathedrals as on the CF
Did I mention the upps and downs already?
Great book written on the del Norte by Jean-Christophe Rufin (not in English yet I believe)
No Brierley guide on the del Norte!

Everyone is different, every day on every camino is different, all experiences are personal, just make them yours.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not as much cathedrals as on the CF

That's right but if instead of making all the Norte, you make the Camino Primitivo from the junction on the Norte towards the Primitivo, the number of Cathedrals of Norte plus Primitivo would be the same than on the CF... if we consider the co-cathedral of Logroño on the CF a cathedral.

In September ...

CF --- CdN
meseta --- playas
flat plains --- rolling hills
brown --- green
dry --- wet
wind --- waves
sheep --- cows
grapes --- corn
crowded --- tranquil
bushes --- trees
beer --- sidra
red wine --- white wine
rivers --- beaches
red dirt --- brown dirt
Burgos, Leon --- Santander
SJPdP --- Hendaye, Irun
Logroño --- San Sebastian
Pamplona --- Guernica
lomo de cerdo --- seafood
Hemingway --- FG Lorca

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This question comes up fairly regularly on the forum, and I've chipped in my tuppence worth before, so apologies for repeating myself. I too wondered about the Norte over the Frances, but having done some research and then followed my instincts, I opted for the Norte and was very glad I did so, as I had a fabulous walk. The official statistics suggested that the ratio of walkers on the routes was 7 to 1, but I read that while there were fewer walkers, the camaraderie between them was stronger on the Norte. Walking in May and June I found there was the space to walk alone if I wanted to, but people to walk with and hang out with in the evenings if I wanted company. The irony is that before long I formed a tight camino family and there was very little time spent alone, and then a camino friendship blossomed into a romance, and the last half was walked hand in hand with a very sweet soul from Germany (we are still together two years later). The variable scenery, coastal views, beaches, mountains, valleys, ridges and panoramas made for great walking, plus the variation of rural locality, small towns and big cities meant that no two days were ever the same. If I had 90 days, I would start in Le Puy, walk up to Irun, follow the Norte to Oviedo then take the Primitivo head to Santiago, then on to Finnesterre or Muxia. Whatever route you decide to do, I hope you have a great walk, it will certainly be a great experience.

@BHop, I take it that the 90 days is an acknowledgement of the limits of a visa issued on arrival in the Schengen zone. Were you planning to take that long on either CF or CDN, or did you have other plans?

Hi all,

I`ve got a few ideas going around in my head about how best to spend 90 days doing a Camino this summer. I`m curious to hear your opinions on why you`ve decided to do the Norte route instead of the traditional Frances route. Other than, of course, less crowded trails, albergues, etc.

Ciao for now!
Thanks everyone for your insights and comparisons. Back from the VdlP and wondering which Camino will be my next. Your comments are helpful and greatly appreciated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Jocks don't need a visa Doug. Just permission to leave the nether regions of this sceptred isle! ;)
I had the impression @BHop was a Canuck rather than a Jock. But who am I to quibble. Having become a landowner is Scotland over Xmas I am not even sure I will be allowed in, let alone out again.

Sorry Doug, I have no idea why I thought BHop to be a Scot. Senile Dementia rules! Land in Scotland? And here I am thinking you a dyed in the wool Aussie mate!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
OT warning!! Indeed, but I think I own the grand total of 1o1 square feet in two plots - part of a conservation scheme near Glencoe. The scheme itself seems like a wonderful idea, but I am not even sure that I can put up a tent on either of my plots it as I expect they will be occupied by trees!

Last edited:
OT warning!! Indeed, but I think I own the grand total of 1o1 square feet in two plots - part of a conservation scheme near Glencoe. The scheme itself seems like a wonderful idea, but I am not even sure that I can put up a tent on either of my plots it as I expect they to be occupied by trees!
Doug, I too am a land owner at the same place, My wife decided I needed to be a Lord or something, LOL, we visited there last year and it really is a nice place and the conservation efforts that the purchase helps are really in place. Any Way, Chin up, I don't believe you deserved the public response on another thread.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I love the sea, and walking with a child made the varied landscape of the Norte more interesting for him. Frequent swims helped, too! The side trip to Oviedo was a great highlight for us.

The side trip to Oviedo was a great highlight for us.

I too highly recommend the detour to Oviedo. It adds just one day. After experiencing the big city atmosphere of Santander I decided to later bypass Gijón. After Villaviciosa I walked to Pola de Siero where only three of us stayed at the very nice local albergue. Pola to Oviedo is only 16 km which allows you to spend most of a day there. Then I walked back to Aviles and continued along the CdN to Arzua. One pilgrim who initially planned to do this also missed a key turn. By the time he realized his mistake he decided to just change plans and walk the Camino Primitivo instead. We met again in SdC. He absolutely loved the CP and told many great stories about his unplanned adventure.

I really am liking all of the diverse opinions here.

I am from Vancouver Island in Canada, and have all summer to do with as I please. I know I'm only able to stay in the Schengen area for 90 days, so my plan was to start in Le Puy and do that route, or hike the length of the Pyrenees mountains to either SJPDP or Irun and continue from whichever town I end up at.

I'm a mountaineer back home so I've become accustomed to long days with lots of up and down, so I'm fairly confident in my conditioning to do the Norte route in a reasonable amount of time. I do like the idea of a social atmosphere along my Camino, but think due to the increasing popularity, that I would still find that part of the experience on the Norte route. It's a tough call! Either route would be great. I'll be bringing a 1-man tent and sleeping gear with me, so I'll be very flexible if the hostels are full. I stealth camped my way through Patagonia (Though, the towns weren't quite as populated)...Ahhh, either way, it's going to be fun!

I appreciate all of your opinions here. Keep em coming!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all,

Ciao for now!
90 days?
Hi all,

Ciao for now!
If you do the Norte, I'd recommend starting in Irun. Irun - Santander is the most spectacular part.

Hi BHop,
Le Puy to Basque country allow 35 days as there is the Cele Valley on the GR65.
StJPdP to Biarritz allow 4 days
Biarritz to Irun allow 2 days.............enjoy the broadwalk
Irun to Santiago all the way on Norte........allow 35 days
Santiago to Muxia and then Finisterre ........allow 5 days.

With the other 10 or so BHop relax and enjoy the scenery/company/food and wine.
**If you can fly from Lisbon to Vancover there is the 10 days......visit Portugal.

I think you will go Norte because the Maple Leafs love the sea and the sound of the ocean.

To our eternal regret BHop we turned down a property purchase in Maple Bay many years ago .
Our kids were determined not to follow dads weakness and ended up getting a little shack on Hornsby Island.

Take your time early on Le Puy , enjoy the company of the french , especially as far as Cahors and have a wonderful time on the Norte , it is getting very popular. You will find wonderful spots to camp and do not fall in love with anyone in San Sebastian ....otherwise BC could become a distant memory.
David

If Me Rufin is on the forum: I'd love to translate your book!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, I have finally booked my ticket. I will be leaving from Vancouver to Paris on Thursday the 4th, and hopefully getting to Le Puy within a day or two to start my walk. I appreciate everyones input here and am definitely leaning towards heading up to the Norte route. Seems more my style. I'll be bringing a sleeping bag, mattress, and tarp too. We'll see how the stealth camping goes :)

Taking a bit of a risk going 1 way, but I'm going to try and advise ahead of time so security agents aren't asking questions at the airport. All part of it right? ha!

Well, I have finally booked my ticket. I will be leaving from Vancouver to Paris on Thursday the 4th, and hopefully getting to Le Puy within a day or two to start my walk. I appreciate everyones input here and am definitely leaning towards heading up to the Norte route. Seems more my style. I'll be bringing a sleeping bag, mattress, and tarp too. We'll see how the stealth camping goes :)

Taking a bit of a risk going 1 way, but I'm going to try and advise ahead of time so security agents aren't asking questions at the airport. All part of it right? ha!

I forgot to mention BHop that the certain camping spots on the Norte could stop the return flight

What do you mean Thornley? How could camping cause issues with a return flight? Just because I have a sleeping bag?

€46,-
What do you mean Thornley? How could camping cause issues with a return flight? Just because I have a sleeping bag?

Think Maple Bay [BC] combined with rolling hills to camp above the tapas bars on beach.

Bhop, I'll be leaving tomorrow for Irun. I start walking the 4th of June. I'll be taking 90 days and camping as well. You will probably over take me in a couple weeks. Have a wonderful journey. Peace.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.