• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why oh why

george.g

Time of past OR future Camino
French way 10, 11
Norte 12
Vdlp 13
Levante 14
Mozarabe/Malaga 15
Augusta 16
Mozarabe/Almeria 17
On the French Way now, I can put up with the snores, the plastic bag rustlers, the megawatt headlights and the 0530am starters, but why oh why do certain people insist on closing the windows?
Woke up several times now in what felt like a sauna!!
Regards
George

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I like fresh air even in winter but I guess it's a cultural difference. On the VDLP a couple of years ago I was confronted by three men who swore we would all get sick if we breathed the cool night air. It was sweltering! I waited until they were asleep then opened them. I can't remember where they were from.

Kind of depends on whether you are sleeping in the draft from the window or wishing you were sleeping in the draft from the window. Just remember, it's not personal or careless, spiteful or deliberate. People mainly do what they do at home -including snoring and waking early. Though I suspect the headlight wearing bag rustlers tend to live alone.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I sympathize with you, George. Just back myself from my second Frances and was a tad irritated by the same behavior. (Just like last time.)

On the bright side, I never got cold at night despite frosty conditions outside.:)

Hang in there!

B

On the French Way now, I can put up with the snores, the plastic bag rustlers, the megawatt headlights and the 0530am starters, but why oh why do certain people insist on closing the windows?
Woke up several times now in what felt like a sauna!!
Regards
George

lol - I'm with you. Never understood why people insist on having closed windows in a room with 10 people that you cannot swing a cat in... However - I think koilife might be right:p Rhetorical question...

I took a friend from the UK back to Norway with me for Xmas some years ago. My mum kindly opened the windows before he went to bed, it was below -20C outside. He woke up the next morning reconsidering what he thought about down duvet's and fresh air... We also see people leaving young babies outside in strollers in the middle of Winter in the Nordic countries - some seem to find this appalling, I don't.

I did find the Via Podensis from Le Puy much worse for this - seemed like the French still believe there's "miasma" that we need to be protected from (Or is it just that the heating systems are "dumb" and heat the whole building to the same temperature?). I get that some people might find the draft from the windows to be an issue - surely that would be the place for those that advocate a sleeping bag liner instead of a sleeping bag? If you think that sleeping next to an open window with fresh/cold air will make you sick, stick to polluted cities or bring a proper sleeping bag.

Yup - had a slight cantankerous moment :p mainly as I remembered sneaking up during the night to open windows

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I like fresh air even in winter but I guess it's a cultural difference. On the VDLP a couple of years ago I was confronted by three men who swore we would all get sick if we breathed the cool night air. It was sweltering! I waited until they were asleep then opened them. I can't remember where they were from.

Getting sick from breathing night air? Really? Ha ha.
People still believe that? That's like medieval, dark ages superstition.
"Shall we look for a witch to burn"? ha ha ha

I was told the same by people, mostly Spanish, who constantly closed the windows. I have been brought up with the opposite: stuffy rooms have unhealthy air. They still wanted the bunks near the windows though.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have an older French friend who hermetically seals the house every night. He acknowledges that camping out is healthy, but just can't accept letting air into the house at night.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
#1 I had a bunk by the open window (CF) on a warm September night and was reading, enjoying the evening air before lights out when a young man across the aisle came over and shut it with a vengeance. I asked him nicely, with gestures, how bout we keep it open just a crack? And an angry waterfall of foreign words rained down on me. It felt even dangerous. An hour later, as he was snoring loudly, I quietly opened it again, it was too tempting, just within arm's reach for me. I felt a bit deceitful, I mean, what if I actually got him sick or something? But the room was so hot. I felt like the parody of a selfish American, but still wanted my way with that damn window. He survived and I survived and he was gone before daylight.

#2 I remember a huge overcrowded, segregated room in Leon, I mean it was Stuff City. Forty or more double bunks piled together with hardly a passageway in between. The convent management shut the doors to make sure the women and men stayed apart? Incredibly hot and stuffy even with two small windows open. Lots of coughing and sneezing. Looked like a hard night coming on. Then a young woman closed one of the two small windows, and I remember panicking, thinking we might literally suffocate if the other one is closed, the carbon dioxide could get that high. I remember being so worried someone would shut off our only air source. Panic in the middle of the night can take on otherworldly proportions. I stayed awake all night, staring across the room over the tops of all those sleeping bodies, fixated on that tiny open window, desperately hoping no one would close it. Moving back and forth between helpless anger and peaceful acceptance. I must've been working out some crazy unknown karma that night.

Boogie men? No way. Everybody knows they are under the bed, not outside. Ha ha.....

Pah, everyone knows a closed window won't keep them out anyway.

I work in an office that has all the windows sealed shut and air conditioning to ventilate us rats on the wheels... strangely people are sick all the time with permanent colds and coughs.

Our building regulations have become obsessed with airtight buildings to save energy. My parents have just moved to a new house and it's incredibly stuffy. At the other end of the scale I used to live in a 300 year old farm house that the wind howled through and was permanently cold.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Aaaaaaaawwww. So cute wittle kitty (kinda scary at the same time). She will def keep you safe.

Let's all throw weight concerns to the wind and just carry bags stuffed with stuffed animals. And cracker jacks. And funny hats. And board games. And tiny violins. Yay Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
CaminoKris, when do you start walking? I'll be leaving St. Jean on June 7 or 8th. Hope to see you and your kitty!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Got it as a gift and it is small enough to take. Can't take my real ones!...

On my first camino for sentimental reasons I carried a beloved stuffed moose!!

Not full size but as bulky as a sleeping bag! The moose, known as Mo, shortened from Mousse au chocolat, was a large toy which long ago I gave to my father for his 90th birthday. After my father’s death Mo came back to me. In 2004 he traveled in a stuff sack deep within the pack. Although disguised as a ‘pillow’ he was in truth my silent confidante during that first challenging camino.

We both made it to Santiago but once with a moose is enough! Ever since Mo stays on his shelf at home and now we mentally 'tweet' as I walk.

MM

Last edited:
It's the European way. I was educated at a boarding school in England where all windows were supposed to be open all the time, summer and winter. I well remember our German language teacher, who was German, would march into the classroom, tell us to close all windows and announce, 'Better to die of stink than cold'. Since we were all teenage boys with baths once a week, we really did stink!

It's the European way. I was educated at a boarding school in England where all windows were supposed to be open all the time, summer and winter. I well remember our German language teacher, who was German, would march into the classroom, tell us to close all windows and announce, 'Better to die of stink than cold'. Since we were all teenage boys with baths once a week, we really did stink!
I'd rather die of cold...

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
People forget how much heat other people give off, about 50 watts per person. Eight people in a room is going to kick out around 400 watts, the equivalent of having an electric heater on all night.

Right then! That's another money saving tip for me. I think I'll invite 12 people to spend next winter with me. My heating bill will be next to nothing :D

Buen (windows open) Camino

Me too, camino-david, from 7 to 18. Windows never fully shut

Don't think we stank as we had cold baths every morning followed by a brisk short walk before breakfast and then showers after games every day.

Stuff the cold baths and the brisk walk - however, 50 years on from school, the bedroom windows are still never, whatever the season, completely shut !

I read somewhere that 93 rabbits gives off the same amount of heat in a sitting room as gas central heating - lettuce fired heating? Result - and the great thing is you only have to buy two.

Thinks: wonder if they would be a good addition to a winter Camino rucksack ......

I read somewhere that 93 rabbits gives off the same amount of heat in a sitting room as gas central heating - lettuce fired heating? Result - and the great thing is you only have to buy two.

Thinks: wonder if they would be a good addition to a winter Camino rucksack ......

And that's your evening meal sorted, too :)

I wonder if we aren't preaching / complaining to the choir here. Perhaps if someone could translate some of these comments and get them posted on the forums in Spain, France, Italy and other countries (?), we might start a conversation to figure out how to resolve this cultural difference - and that's all it is - a CULTURAL difference.
Maybe those who do not want open windows could congregate in the nether reaches of the room and let the fresh-air folks have the bunks near the windows? ...as long as the windows aren't open too much... compromise is good...
Maybe a conversation prior to lights out with all (or most) of our new roomies re the fresh air business -- work out a plan? Just a thought -- as opposed to conflict (and the feeling of being suffocated).
Buen Camino to ALL! :)

... But not for long !!!

images

Cheers David!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Bathing once a week?

I did find the Via Podensis from Le Puy much worse for this - seemed like the French still believe there's "miasma" that we need to be protected from (Or is it just that the heating systems are "dumb" and heat the whole building to the same temperature?). I get that some people might find the draft from the windows to be an issue - surely that would be the place for those that advocate a sleeping bag liner instead of a sleeping bag? If you think that sleeping next to an open window with fresh/cold air will make you sick, stick to polluted cities or bring a proper sleeping bag.

Yup - had a slight cantankerous moment :p mainly as I remembered sneaking up during the night to open windows

That must be a colloquialism too as here in Aquitaine our neighbours told us that in order to keep the house cool in warm weather we must close all windows and shutters during the day and open the windows up at night... works well too... until visitors come and insist on opening everything during the day... then we have a house like an oven at night! :rolleyes:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back