• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why so many green doors in Spain?

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
I saw so many beautiful green doors while walking the Camino, I ended up with a collection of photos of them. Some are gradually disintegrating, some are repeatedly patched, some are lovingly restored and maintained. They are on houses, barns, fences, churches and horreos. Some are barely held together by scraps with the only purpose of keeping animals in or people out. Others invite you through a gate or into a home.

Mostly green (or.... is it that I started looking for green doors, so that is what I saw?). I am curious if anyone here knows how this trend may have begun; painting doors green.

That being said, I don't know why barns in America are painted that specific rusty red color.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I often wonder why Dr Who's Tardis is painted blue :D
Seriously though , they do look good , I noticed the same continuity myself , they emit a peaceful and welcoming aura .
The door to my farm house is also green .Door.JPG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I saw so many beautiful green doors while walking the Camino, I ended up with a collection of photos of them. Some are gradually disintegrating, some are repeatedly patched, some are lovingly restored and maintained. They are on houses, barns, fences, churches and horreos. Some are barely held together by scraps with the only purpose of keeping animals in or people out. Others invite you through a gate or into a home.

Mostly green (or.... is it that I started looking for green doors, so that is what I saw?). I am curious if anyone here knows how this trend may have begun; painting doors green.

That being said, I don't know why barns in America are painted that specific rusty red color.

You must have been collecting green doors. To me, most old doors in Spain are either unpainted wood, or covered many shades of brown paint. :)

In areas near the sea, what was left of the paint for the fishing boats was also used to paint the wood of the house. Because people were poor. They would mix the paint with oil and this would last very long and protect the wood very well.

Traditionally the doors and shutters of farmhouses and barns in the Netherlands are green too. That has to do with the use of the pigment Bremer green, or copper hydroxide. This pigment was mixed with heated linseed oil (the heating process thickened the oil) and produced a paint with a strong copper compound. The result was a very durable paint for outdoor use. No surprise this was popular back in the day: less maintenance.
Over time this old paint tends to discolor to a darker hue as the blue gets more distinctive: the yellow in the paint weakens by exposure to sunlight. A big mistake made in renovations today is to think the recent color of the old paint is the color it used to be. In truth it was a lot greener, but it explains the popularity of darker greens and blue nowadays as "traditional" colors.
And that, I think, is also the explanation for the use of green for doors in my country. It started out as a smart choice because of the strength and durability of the paint, and then it turned into a tradition. I reckon it is the same for Spain.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

And as for the Tardis, British police boxes in the 1960's were blue. And they tend to stick out less than a red telephone box, which also has see through windows. That would very much mess up the bigger-on-the-inside-than-on-the-outside bit. ;)

As visitors we are merely onlookers to somebody´s everyday ornament and decorative content.
I myself admire every stone wall or well built barn and abode I come across in Spain as my own native country country only have rounded moraine stones in the ground. I find the handiwork fantastic and expressive..
On the Island of Lamu I took photographs of all the decorative carved doors. Ireland has the same colourful doors and painted shop facades as in Spain...
So lets us merely revel in the display, as one day it might disappear into off-the-shelf doors from some timber yard store.
One father made his children ask me how pilgrim life and exploits were like as he said, "we live in Madrid but come here in the holidays and weekends to Granon and have had our grand parents´ house done up".

And the house now had no characteristic identity, and looked just - nice´ish ! of course I did not tell him that ...

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Slightly off topic. When I was in Norwaway. I noticed that most houses and all barn doors were painted red.
Was told that the first paint invented was white and that locals used blood from a slaughtered beast (for eating) to colour the paint red.

Seriously though , they do look good , I noticed the same continuity myself , they emit a peaceful and welcoming aura .
The door to my farm house is also green .View attachment 37053
The Tardis is the colour of the old police telephone boxes in England. It IS an old police box.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In Sweden the red colour everywhere is iron oxide (Fe 203) . Insoluble but was mixed w water and binder to make a swill ....
As it is mineral and not organic, it will not deteriorate further, in colour or otherwise and will protect wooden surfaces forever. The oxide would be abundant after the insdustrial process left mounds of the stuff...Cobber mines left this as waste product. Merits were that the surface opens for diffusion and allowed the drying of the wood...
The practise with animal blood goes further back, and usually new barn doors would be smeared with blood just after the slaughter and would keep for ages if not forever.
So practicality is the supreme master...
source: http://www.kemifokus.dk/om-svensk-rodfarve/ but alas in Danish...

Last edited:
Didn't know about the blood on barn doors, sounds a bit grisly. I do know that animal hair, usually that of horses, was used in plaster (and stucco) to increase strength. Also sometimes white of eggs or animal blood, to slow down the setting of the plaster.

ready available raw materials with excellent mileage.
I am myself fascinated with the Adobe building in every stage of decay along the route, shows how excellent a building material it has been and still is ...

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Where did you see so many green doors in Spain ?.
The traditional colour for doors in rural Galicia has been brown.
Spain is so diverse that maybe in another region could be green, but I really don´t know where.

I found the doors in Spain intriguing and fascinating. I took pictures of doors all the way from St. Jean to Santiago and they came in all different shapes and colors, some ornate and some plain, some handcarved, some with great detailed hardware, etc. I hope to put together a book of the doors of the camino some day from all of the photos that I took.

I found the doors in Spain intriguing and fascinating. I took pictures of doors all the way from St. Jean to Santiago and they came in all different shapes and colors, some ornate and some plain, some handcarved, some with great detailed hardware, etc. I hope to put together a book of the doors of the camino some day from all of the photos that I took.

Kalee66 has done some great uploads on this forum...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Where did you see so many green doors in Spain ?.
The traditional colour for doors in rural Galicia has been brown.
Spain is so diverse that maybe in another region could be green, but I really don´t know where.

I have dozens of pictures of green doors in Galicia. I agree that, once you start looking for something, you find it. We go through life with filters like this about many things.

This is so funny. I have several of these SAME doors photographed.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I love this thread. I love all things green though. Lime lifesavers, kiwi fruit, spinach, trees, green is just an amazing color.

I love doors too. What is going on behind them? The personality behind them is wonderful. Above, the two people talking and slightly bent over with canes with that last door backdrop is such a great photo.

door
I love this thread. I love all things green though. Lime lifesavers, kiwi fruit, spinach, trees, green is just an amazing color.

I love doors too. What is going on behind them? The personality behind them is wonderful. Above, the two people talking and slightly bent over with canes with that last door backdrop is such a great photo.

Those two men are both in their 90s and were born and raised in that town.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Very nice photos, everyone! And I was astonished to find that I have none of my own except this one. I tend to fixate on gates instead. So gee, thanks, Jill. Now I feel the need to retrace my steps while paying better attention.:confused:;)

Attachments

• Saria-Portomarin (21) - Copy.JPG
    Saria-Portomarin (21) - Copy.JPG
    558.1 KB · Views: 31
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In my area North- Center of Galicia fifty yers ago the house doors had the original colour of the wood. Some horreos and barns were painted mostly in red, blue or grey.
I din´t know that in some areas of Galicia they had preference for green.
Maybe someone started, probably in the coast, with this colour and the custom spread around.

Good to see so many well informed artist or should that be chemists have answered the mysteries behind green doors, red barns and blue police boxes. There is a great book on the history of colours and where pigments were sourced from, my copy is very battered as I took it to read on a Camino. You know when a book is precious when you are prepared to carry it thousands of kms and bring it home safe.

Loved the doors all along the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Here in Castilla-Leon there are so many green and blue and brown doors, because those are the paint colors that are sold pre-mixed. They are cheap and widely available in any hardware store. You want something else, you have to pay extra for it.
This is why my house is painted ochre yellow. It not only fits beautifully into the landscape around here, it´s also dirt cheap and easy to find and match!
(Not sure just why they settled on green, blue, white, ochre, and brown. Maybe those were just the local pigments, handed down through the ages. Some really thrifty people still buy buckets of white, and tint them themselves... or they use tempera powder paint. And then there are the hardcore, who make their own whitewash!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have dozens of pictures of green doors in Galicia. I agree that, once you start looking for something, you find it. We go through life with filters like this about many things.

This is so funny. I have several of these SAME doors photographed.
So do I, I love my photos of old doors on the Camino.

Thank you to all who have posted pictures of these beautiful old treasures. I didn't take many pictures of doors, but I did manage to catch an original old key still in use. I believe this was in Hospital de Orbigo.

Attachments

• Camino 198.jpg
    Camino 198.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
Here in Castilla-Leon there are so many green and blue and brown doors, because those are the paint colors that are sold pre-mixed. They are cheap and widely available in any hardware store. You want something else, you have to pay extra for it.
And there I was imagining something more profound. A while ago on a trip home to Hawai'i, I had read and loved this article with a story wrapped around window colors in Brittany, and that colored my thoughts.
But the reality? No deeper meaning to ochre or green or blue - just simple practicalities of cost and availability.
I love it when I'm wrong like this. Deeper meaning isn't always there. :cool:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
..... Ireland has the same colourful doors and painted shop facades as in Spain...
A few years ago, a friend and I had the pleasure of visiting Ireland. We noticed the many splendidly coloured doors. One of our guides told us that upon the untimely death of her much loved husband, a certain English queen ruled that all the front doors in her realm be painted black. The result was the brightly coloured doors we see today.

:p Some people do like a good story.

Below: Some Irish doors.
Image 2017-11-01 at 10.27 PM.jpg 004.JPG

So do I, I love my photos of old doors on the Camino.
Don't know about the green doors but the reason barns in America are that red color is because mixing iron oxide with linseed oil for paint coloring was a common practice. This made the red color.

A few years ago, a friend and I had the pleasure of visiting Ireland. We noticed the many splendidly coloured doors. One of our guides told us that upon the untimely death of her much loved husband, a certain English queen ruled that all the front doors in her realm be painted black. The result was the brightly coloured doors we see today.

:p Some people do like a good story.

Below: Some Irish doors.
View attachment 37126 View attachment 37127
Never take the word of anybody who has kissed the Blarney Stone!
In a lot of fishing villages the front doors are the same colour as the houseowner's fishing boat. My cousin was told that this was so that, if a boat drifted away, it would be easy to find the owner. She still half believes it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Never take the word of anybody who has kissed the Blarney Stone!
:D Yes, I figured that out early on!
In a lot of fishing villages the front doors are the same colour as the houseowner's fishing boat. My cousin was told that this was so that, if a boat drifted away, it would be easy to find the owner. She still half believes it!
Me thinks your cousin is having you on. ;):D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
:D Yes, I figured that out early on!

Me thinks your cousin is having you on. ;):D

No, she really IS that gullible - I remember her dad sending her down to the ironmongers for a "long weight" - she'd still be there if the shopkeeper hadn't taken pity on her.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
"With an open heart and quiet mind there are no door's". I saw this on either a door or window of a house in Herrerias, at the bottom of the "hill" on the way up to O'Cebreiro on the CF. It made the journal so gave me something to think about on that long slog to the top.
Don.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.