• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

why spanish sim card?

david buedts

Time of past OR future Camino
camino frances september2015
This is probably a stupid question, but why should I buy a spanish sim card and not just use my own?
thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi David
I use my own sim card when I am walking in Spain or Portugal.This has worked very well for me .I carry a basic mobile phone to send/receive texts and am contactable if needed.Very rarely do I make a phone call ,(maybe to get a key for an albergue or book accomadation in Santiago).I do not blog and periodically check emails in internet cafes.
Buen camino and enjoy
Maura

This is probably a stupid question, but why should I buy a spanish sim card and not just use my own?
thanks
It is much less expensive. Roaming charges may be huge. My brother used ATT data, and returned to a $600 bill. Read the fine print on what is really included in unlimited plans!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Price! 20 Euro for SIM card, 2 GB data and 5 euro talk credit.

Simple answer you get 2gigs of data for 15 euro. Google maps. Just select navigate and it will direct you to your marker.

thanks

It may be different since your phone is on Belgian network in the EU, and roaming within the EU in your case might be affordable compared to others from outside the EU. Check with your provider on how much it costs to roam in other parts of the EU, it most likely will cost you extra unless your provider has a special roaming package.
Travel outside the EU and use your smartphone with data roaming turned on and get the shock of your life.
There are numerous stories of high roaming data bills from people all over the world.
http://www.theguardian.com/money/20...-how-avoid-smartphone-bill-shock-post-holiday
http://jeffreifman.com/2014/06/04/yes-you-can-spend-750-in-international-data-roaming-in-one-minute/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi David, Welcome here ( welkom ). Belgian myself and when on the Camino I don't bother with a spanish Sim anymore. If you keep the data and calling limited you will be fine.
I'm with Mobile Vikings and they have a neat app where you can see on a daily basis how much you have spent. I guess other Belgian providers have the same feature.

Buen Camino én Fijne Camino!

The conversation makes more sense if you stay what country you're from when buying a SIM card. Being from the USA the SIM card seems to make the most economical sense with my unlocked phone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No need for Spanish SIM card if you are from any EU country. I got my provider lock data roaming (used free wifi), called only when needed (a few euros during the whole walk), no sms. No problems.

Dus Sabine, just turn off the roaming on my phone then? Gewoon roaming uitschakelen? That's what the guy from telenet said...

Dus Sabine, just turn off the roaming on my phone then? Gewoon roaming uitschakelen? That's what the guy from telenet said...

Indeed David, this is the way how I do it abroad. And if you walk the Camino Frances wifi is widely available anyway. I only put on the roaming for a short time when walking to call ahead for a booking etc...
I don't know how detailed Telenet is in their bills but like I said I'm very satisfied with the app by Mobile Vikings.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just remember there is a difference between DATA roaming (mobile internet) and phone roaming. Decide which one you want to turn off. Data roaming is the very expensive one. But you can turn it off and use wifi, thats for free in most places. If you turn off phone roaming at the provider, you can't call while abroad.

Just remember there is a difference between DATA roaming (mobile internet) and phone roaming. Decide which one you want to turn off. Data roaming is the very expensive one. But you can turn it off and use wifi, thats for free in most places. If you turn off phone roaming at the provider, you can't call while abroad.

I just put on the phone roaming on at a certain moment when expecting or making a call.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was able to use tools like Facebook, FB Messenger, Skype for calls, email and FaceTime via free WiFi connections for my communications throughout our Camino from Sarria into Santiago. Did not get a SIM card.

The conversation makes more sense if you stay what country you're from when buying a SIM card. Being from the USA the SIM card seems to make the most economical sense with my unlocked phone.
Hello,
This is an issue I have been researching of late.
I have a US phone and I will be traveling in Portugal, Spain, France and Holland.
I was thinking of buying an unlocked phone then SIM card there.
I will only use for calling reservations if needed, but would like for pictures.
I was advised here in US by young man to just get What's app or other app that works with the internet,
and use my regular US phone.
Does your Spanish SIM card work in other countries as well ?
Thanks much for any advise

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have an iphone 5. When I arrived ar Chamartin to get a SIM, they said they don't have the chip that fits iphone 5. Since I had time, I took a metro to Sol station. Just outside the station was Orange (network) office, and the plan I got was 2Geg of data only per month for 20 Euros. Wish I had 20 Geg of data and some call credit just in case I need to call someone. I was at the Terminal 4 and needed to call a hotel for shuttle pick-up, but I could not.

What SIM card to purchase for 15 euro, and from where ?

thx
I got mine from orange in pamplona. The orange france were more expensive.the 2 gigs may be valid outside of spain as well.

Google maps is important to me.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have an iphone 5. When I arrived ar Chamartin to get a SIM, they said they don't have the chip that fits iphone 5. Since I had time, I took a metro to Sol station. Just outside the station was Orange (network) office, and the plan I got was 2Geg of data only per month for 20 Euros. Wish I had 20 Geg of data and some call credit just in case I need to call someone. I was at the Terminal 4 and needed to call a hotel for shuttle pick-up, but I could not.

Really appreciate all responses
Thank you very much

Hello,
This is an issue I have been researching of late.
I have a US phone and I will be traveling in Portugal, Spain, France and Holland.
I was thinking of buying an unlocked phone then SIM card there.
I will only use for calling reservations if needed, but would like for pictures.
I was advised here in US by young man to just get What's app or other app that works with the internet,
and use my regular US phone.
Does your Spanish SIM card work in other countries as well ?
Thanks much for any advise

If you can unlock what you already own, have that done first, then buy a SIM card and use it in your phone, no need to buy and carry a second device that you need to keep track of.
What service is your current phone on?
A Spanish SIM will roam in other countries around the world, the credit will get used up quickly when used outside of Spain and will be difficult to add credit outside of Spain.
If it runs out of credit in another country outside of Spain, just buy another local SIM card in the country you are visiting.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you can unlock what you already own, have that done first, then buy a SIM card and use it in your phone, no need to buy and carry a second device that you need to keep track of.
What service is your current phone on?
A Spanish SIM will roam in other countries around the world, the credit will get used up quickly when used outside of Spain and will be difficult to add credit outside of Spain.
If it runs out of credit in another country outside of Spain, just buy another local SIM card in the country you are visiting.
many thanks

This is a great thread for me to read.

I am Canadian and my carrier (with a fee) will allow me 100 minutes per month and 100 free roaming minutes. 200 minutes of outgoing texts and unlimited incoming texts.

I know that i can blog, check email, facebok etc on free wifi without incurring any fees at all.

My concern is caling ahead to places to make a reservation?

Do I need to worry about that? If not, then I wont look into Spanish SIM Cards.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is a great thread for me to read.

I am Canadian and my carrier (with a fee) will allow me 100 minutes per month and 100 free roaming minutes. 200 minutes of outgoing texts and unlimited incoming texts.

I know that i can blog, check email, facebok etc on free wifi without incurring any fees at all.

My concern is caling ahead to places to make a reservation?

Do I need to worry about that? If not, then I wont look into Spanish SIM Cards.
Most cases the hostalleros in the previous place will call the next place. Even if you just stay for coffee you can ask the bartender to call ahead. They have phone numbers, thats the system and it works. Remember that municipal auberges don't take reservations at all, we are speaking about private ones now. I was only in one place that had a big sign saying they won't make any phone calls for you (i.e. reservations or luggage transfer) but they were strange in many other ways too. But thats where you use some of your 100 minutes.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.