• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why Start in Lisbon

santaremhostel

It all started in early 2014 in a meeting at the famous Restaurant “Martinho da Arcada” in Lisbon, and the purpose was to meet some pilgrims from the caminosantiago.me forum, with an extra “delicacy”, called “Pasteis de Nata”!
A group of pilgrims, and myself, as a forum member and owner of the Santarem Hostel, talked a lot about the Caminho Português issues. In particular, why do pilgrims prefer to start in Porto instead of Lisbon, where the caminho begins.
We have identified the early long stages, industrial areas, dangerous roads, etc etc, and found alternatives for those who do not like to walk 30Km stages or do not want to walk throw Industrial areas, usual on the outskirts of all big cities.
The first output was the document “WALKING FROM LISBON TO PORTO IN SHORTER STAGES” and you can find it here: Short Stages
Then, come up the idea to make a video with pilgrim’s testimony about those early long stages: Lisbon to Santarém.
In order to have a homogeneous testimonies, five questions or themes were proposed:
-Why start in Lisbon?
-How did you manage the long stages?
-The good and the bad?
-Lessons learned?
-If there was a pick & drop service will you use it?
So far I got 4 original videos, with some pictures kindly shared by Laurie and Maggie, to help you to understand the context.
As Albertino posted on the forum:
“…The information on this forum, given by people who walked this part, is an important motivation to others to do so as well. The track Lisbon to Porto deserves this attention…”
Enjoy the videos and your feed-back is most welcome!
Mario

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It all started in early 2014 in a meeting at the famous Restaurant “Martinho da Arcada” in Lisbon, and the purpose was to meet some pilgrims from the caminosantiago.me forum, with an extra “delicacy”, called “Pasteis de Nata”!
A group of pilgrims, and myself, as a forum member and owner of the Santarem Hostel, talked a lot about the Caminho Português issues. In particular, why do pilgrims prefer to start in Porto instead of Lisbon, where the caminho begins.
We have identified the early long stages, industrial areas, dangerous roads, etc etc, and found alternatives for those who do not like to walk 30Km stages or do not want to walk throw Industrial areas, usual on the outskirts of all big cities.
The first output was the document “WALKING FROM LISBON TO PORTO IN SHORTER STAGES” and you can find it here: Short Stages
Then, come up the idea to make a video with pilgrim’s testimony about those early long stages: Lisbon to Santarém.
In order to have a homogeneous testimonies, five questions or themes were proposed:
-Why start in Lisbon?
-The good and the bad?
-Lessons learned?
So far I got 4 original videos, with some pictures kindly shared by Laurie and Maggie, to help you to understand the context.
“…The information on this forum, given by people who walked this part, is an important motivation to others to do so as well. The track Lisbon to Porto deserves this attention…”
Mario
Olá Mario. Como estaís ? Tudo bem ?

Love your article here and again it is a good promotion for the Lisbon to Porto trail which is more than worth walking

All pilgrims of all countries Unite and come to Lisbon to start a great walk from there.
My wife and I did it last year and highly recommend it.

On the picture at the pilgrims office in Santiago with in the middle Laurie Reynolds aka Peregrina2000 , one of the initiators of the "new Lisbon to Porto trail"

Bom caminho image.jpg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mario
Good job of promoting the Portuguese Caminho.
Continues to promote the Caminho from Lisboa.
AMSimoes

So I see that 495 people have looked at this post. Did anyone get good information from these videos? Or did it help you make up your mind about where to start? Just curious. Bom caminho, Laurie
Originally planned to walk from Lisbon to Santiago but was concerned about safety issues, ie traffic, lack of sidewalks, and shoulders. I was also concerned about the walking distances each day. For me, I need to start slow and with short distances for the first few days and get myself into the grove.
Turned out that time was the deciding factor. We just didn't have the time to take in Lisbon and Porto and walk the entire Caminho. After riding the bus from Santiago to Lisbon, I wished I had the time. What beautiful country between Lisbon and Porto. So now I have an excuse to go back and walk the entire Caminho. Maybe by then a alternate route will be up and running.

Happy Trails

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Regarding Laurie's document “WALKING FROM LISBON TO PORTO IN SHORTER STAGES” , please note her last update:
"... UPDATE: Oct. 2014. I've posted this document in the resources section, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/short-stages-from-lisbon-to-porto.133/ and removed it from this thread so that there will be only one source to go to for updates and revisions. Always very happy to get comments and changes from any satisfied or dissatisfied users. Thanks, Laurie ..."

Just wondering if there is other information that the Lisbon fan club could provide that would help people who are debating whether to start in Lisbon, or whether these videos and the many threads on the topic are complete enough.

I had a dilemma about which camino and where to start at the end of last year. I posed a question on this forum asking for advice and received some very helpful responses. Take a look here if you have a similar quandary.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here's another reason to start in Lisbon, at least for those who like to do some touring before or after their Caminos. The New York Times travel section today has a lengthy article about the Alentejo, the area south and east of Lisbon. A few days here is a very nice way to wind down after walking, IMO, so if you fly in and out of Lisbon, consider this option! I've traveled a lot in the Alentejo and can recommend a route if anyone is interested. Bom caminho, Laurie

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/18/t...on&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

Here's another reason to start in Lisbon, at least for those who like to do some touring before or after their Caminos. The New York Times travel section today has a lengthy article about the Alentejo, the area south and east of Lisbon. A few days here is a very nice way to wind down after walking, IMO, so if you fly in and out of Lisbon, consider this option! I've traveled a lot in the Alentejo and can recommend a route if anyone is interested. Bom caminho, Laurie

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/18/t...on&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0
A litle more about Alentejo:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Mario, I wonder if you have any year-end statistics comparing your hostel's first year's occupancy statistics with 2014. That would give people an idea about how many more people are starting in Lisboa. I think that for some people, the idea of a solitary caminho is not so appealing, and my guess is that this section between Lisboa and Porto is in the transition stage out of "solitary."

Thanks, bom caminho, Laurie

Mario, I wonder if you have any year-end statistics comparing your hostel's first year's occupancy statistics with 2014. That would give people an idea about how many more people are starting in Lisboa. I think that for some people, the idea of a solitary caminho is not so appealing, and my guess is that this section between Lisboa and Porto is in the transition stage out of "solitary."

Thanks, bom caminho, Laurie

Hi Laurie.
Year-end stats. increased 27%

Top five countries:
2013 - 2014
Italy - France
Germany - Germany
Spain - US
France - Spain
US - Italy

New 6 Nationalities in 2014

Bom caminho
Mario

Hi, Mario, I don't think the cathedral's year end statistics are out yet, but it will be interesting to compare yours to theirs.

What they do show is a pretty big jump from 2011 to 2013 for pilgrims starting in Lisboa:

2011- 647
2012- 977
2013- 1067

My online calculator tells me that's almost a 65% increase from 2011 to 2013!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

glad you enjoyed it too ... thought it was well written. have been to Evora, etc ... but never to the coast - yet
saluti -

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
glad you enjoyed it too ... thought it was well written. have been to Evora, etc ... but never to the coast - yet
saluti -
Alentejo. Great area. Évora is a beatufiful town with a kind of a ruine of A Roman temple .but we also made a daytour in the area to Reguenho de Monsaraz and Mourão. An fairly flat area with now and than a hill with allways a castle on top so the during the medieval times they could oversee the area and defend this by intruders.
There is an beautiful lake district .it is nearby the Spanish border and far away from the camino but worthwhile visiting. Alentejo is famous for its food and wines.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    916.2 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Alentejo. Great area. Évora is a beatufiful town with a kind of a ruine of A Roman temple .but we also made a daytour in the area to Reguenho de Monsaraz and Mourão. An fairly flat area with now and than a hill with allways a castle on top so the during the medieval times they could oversee the area and defend this by intruders.
There is an beautiful lake district .it is nearby the Spanish border and far away from the camino but worthwhile visiting. Alentejo is famous for its food and wines.
ah - then lets dig up more alantejo pics, shall we :) only got a few left from evora - not many. but still have marvelous food memories - even though it's (for me) a bit on the heavy side in that region. but dangerously good. --- the alantejo area is certainly yet another PLUS for starting in lisbon ... hint hint.
thanks for sharing your images - hadn't seen the lake area before. - appreciate it.

Attachments

• P3021447.JPG
    P3021447.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • P3031453.JPG
    P3031453.JPG
    875.8 KB · Views: 9
  • P3031458.JPG
    P3031458.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • P3031463.JPG
    P3031463.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Amorfati
Or, if you prefer you can make the "Rota Vicentina". See the link:
http://www.rotavicentina.com/?lang=en
AMSimoes
oh my, what have you done ?!?! :)
this is EXACTLY the area i had meant to explore - before plans shifted last year. soo glad you reminded me of it and provided this great info/link. Obrigado!
many many thanks - and there is NO doubt that i shall be returning to portugal over and again (as i've done since teen years :)
am so thrilled i now have this link to explore further. Saluti !!

ah - then lets dig up more alantejo pics, shall we :) only got a few left from evora - not many. but still have marvelous food memories - even though it's (for me) a bit on the heavy side in that region. but dangerously good. --- the alantejo area is certainly yet another PLUS for starting in lisbon ... hint hint.
thanks for sharing your images - hadn't seen the lake area before. - appreciate it.
Great pics Claudia Very recognisable . Come back once more and visit the lakes. Beautiful area.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Laurie,
The only stats I have are the pilgrims that stayed in Santarem Hostel.
Now there are more places to stay in Santarém, including an albergue run by Santa Casa where you only pay 5€ or 6€ per night. There are some limitations like curfiew, one nigth stay only etc...
Therefore the stats that I can provide are not real regarding your request, but the number of pilgrims start in Lisbon have incresased a lot in particular this year 2018. I believe that you can find the information you need at Via Lusitana which you know for a long time.
I have met you in 2014, when we start to talk about this issue and let me tell you that since that, the number of pilgrims have increased every year.
You paper about short long stages help a lot. Believe me ;)

Bom Caminho
Mario

-Why start in Lisbon?
-The good and the bad?
-Lessons learned?
Mario
I, too, love Portugal and have lived there and in the Azores. At times, on tthe Camingo, I took a bus, or the local train, for a stage. The train is wonderful if part of your desire is to actually meet and connect with local people rather than simply trek through their country in the company of other Caminho followers.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back