• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Choosing the Right Camino: A Comprehensive Guide to the Various Routes

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
It may be best for me but each Pilgrim is unique. The better question to ask is, "Which Camino Is Best For Me?" Click on the link to see the full article and pictures of many Caminos and other Global Pilgrimages.

First of all, it is important to be aware that the Camino de Santiago is a personal journey and there is no right, wrong, best or worst Camino. These are my opinions based on my experiences. Do some research and walk the Camino that appeals or calls to you. There are many options and my website discusses and compares many of the various Caminos de Santiago. In addition to various Caminos in Spain, there are several routes in France; Via Podiensis, Tours, Vezelay, and Arles. In Portugal, the Portuguese Way. Also, there are options, including; the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome, The Via Francesca to Assisi, The Japan Kumano Kodo and 88 Buddhist Temple Pilgrimages, The Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, a Nepal Trek, and others.

Of course your health, amount of time, money, and other factors should play into the decision. The Camino Frances requires about €28-35 per day more or less. A bit longer if you walk to Finisterre and or Muxia which are both highly recommended. Walking a Camino in Spain should cost approximately €25-35 per day if you are staying mostly at albergues. €30 to €45 per day in France and Italy. €75 per day in Switzerland. €65 per day in Japan. €35-50 per day in Nepal. Feel free to send me a message if you have questions regarding time, cost, or degree of difficulty for any of these pilgrimages. Obviously, the costs can be less if you use a tent and cook your own meals. Higher if you opt for hotels over albergues.

As the Camino de Santiago evolves, one hears more and more negatives about Camino Frances, especially that it is too crowded with as many as 200,000 walking it in 2019. The popularity of the Camino Frances has furthered the development of lesser known Caminos throughout Spain, including; Del Norte, Portuguese Way, Primitivo, Via de la Plata (VDLP), The English (Irish) Way. Also the more obscure ones; Aragones, Invierno, Madrid, Levante, Sanabres, Catalan, Mozárabe, etc..

Del Norte is less crowded and offers more beautiful nature including spectacular coastal vistas. Via de la Plata(VDLP) offers a more quiet and solitary experience. The mountainous Primitivo is more scenic and challenging. The Portuguese Way offers 2 countries and cultures. While these and other Caminos are all wonderful and great in their own way, there is something quite special about the Camino Frances that makes it ideal for the first time pilgrim seeking something different. Especially if they are looking for a spiritual experience.

First let's explore the negatives.

1. Too crowded. Well yes that is true. Of the 347,000 walking the Camino in 2019, 55% of all pilgrims walked the Frances. The highest numbers leave from SJPP in September and May. August sees thousands, especially groups of Spaniards beginning in Sarria.

2. Camino Frances loses some energy after Sarria with the influx of tourist pilgrims. There is a huge number of pilgrims starting here that swells the numbers and often overwhelms the pilgrims coming from further away starting points such as Leon, Pamplona, and SJPP or somewhere in Europe. Large groups of 10 to 20 or more can be a nuisance. While there are ways to reduce the negative energy, this stretch is often a letdown for long distance pilgrims.

3. A Race for beds. During the most crowded months there can be a race for beds which can take away from the joy of the walk. This problem has increased during the Covid era as some albergues are closed.

4. Too commercial. The Frances is certainly not a wilderness walk. There are frequent bars, restaurants, albergues, and hotels available all along the route. Some are not as pilgrim friendly as others. I met two Irishmen once that were stopping at every bar to have a pint. Not sure if they made it to Santiago but they seemed to be having a heck of a good time.

5. Too much pavement and urban walking. Yes there are some difficult stretches like Burgos and Leon and a good amount of pavement walking as well through smaller villages. This walk is very different from a wilderness trek like the Appalachian or Pacific Crest Trails.

Now that we have that out of the way, lets review the reasons why Camino Frances is the most special of all the Caminos in Spain and how you can optimize your pilgrimage:

1.While it can definitely be relatively crowded at times, there are ways to avoid the hoards. Some pilgrims walk in October to March when you will find the crowds to have thinned significantly. September and May are the busiest months. If it is in your nature, leaving early in the morning each day or later in the day can help with reducing the numbers you will see. A few days out of SJPP, after Pamplona the pilgrims seem to spread out and it seems not so crowded until you arrive in Sarria. Though there seem to be peaks and valleys, some people experience crowded conditions while another pilgrim a day or two behind may have no problem finding accommodation.

2. Admittedly, reaching Sarria pilgrims usually find the vibes change with the influx of the pilgrims walking the last 100K to Santiago which still qualifies them for a Compostela or Certificate of Completion. You can reduce this impact though. First, avoid stopping in the places suggested in the guide books, ie.; Sarria, Palas de Rei, Melide, Arzua. There are many albergues in quieter, smaller villages along this stretch. For solo pilgrims, I suggest hooking up with one or more other long term pilgrims for this stretch as it is harder to connect with the short term pilgrims. That said, refrain from making assumptions. Remain open as plenty of the short term pilgrims are beautiful spirits and some of my favorite pilgrim buddies were ones doing the 100K walk. You may want to reserve accommodation on this stretch especially during the high season. And avoid passing through Sarria on weekends if possible.

3. The race for beds can be a problem, especially once when I started from SJPP on Sept 10, 2019. This issue is related to avoiding the crowds so choosing your date and location to start can minimize this problem. If you are staying in albergues people are usually starting to shuffle around and prepare to leave by 5:30 or 6:00 so I naturally wake up early and like to avoid the crowds by getting ahead of them. It is also my favorite time of the day on the Camino as one can enjoy the dark sky fading into brilliant blue, red, orange hues before the glorious sunrises. If you choose to leave later in the morning to avoid the crowds it may be best to reserve at a private albergue. Of late, and especially during the Covid area, it has unfortunately become more challenging to walk without making accommodation reservations. Still doable though for purists.

4. Perhaps it being too commercial is true. However, this is a glass half empty kind of issue. Most albergues, bars, etc. are pilgrim friendly. Also, you will often discover rest stops offering food and drink on a donation basis. Some of the albergues are donativo, though their numbers are decreasing. That said, the albergues are still incredibly cheap at €5-10 for public albergues and €8-15 for private ones. And most importantly, the owners of the albergues, hospitalarios of the municipal and church albergues, are typically beautiful spirits putting their hearts and souls into creating an optimal pilgrim experience for each and every pilgrim. One of the special things about the Camino is that often you experience VIP service when paying just €5 to €10 Euro for your bed. In fact, the experience can sometimes be better than what you receive in a 5 star Hotel.

5. The Frances has a good amount of pavement which can create havoc on your feet. But all the Caminos have a good amount. Even Primitivo, which is considered a mountain trail. Frances, nor any of the other Caminos are wilderness trails like the Appalachian or Pacific Coast Trails. So the solution is simply to tolerate the tarmac and be thankful when you do find yourself on a dirt trail covered with pine needles in a forest. Also, take good care of your feet by placing preventative tape on toes and feet susceptible to blisters. Some pilgrims spread a preventive lubricant such as petroleum jelly on their feet before setting out each morning.

Now that we are less concerned with the negatives of Camino Frances let’s examine what makes it so special:

1. It’s History. The trail from Roncesvalles to Santiago is laden with cities, churches, a few castles, and natural spots that add historic and spiritual implications to your pilgrimage. A few examples include; Pamplona with its Feat of St. Fermin and Running of the Bulls and connection to Ernest Hemingway, the pass at Alto del Perdon, the Chickens of Santa Domingo de Calzado, Burgos and El Cid, Cruz de Ferro, and O Cebreiro and its story of the faithful shepherd. These and other stops can make your Camino special. Perhaps the most special stop is the Cathedral de Santiago, where on the center column of the old entrance, The Puerto de Gloria, is the hand indentation from the millions of pilgrims arriving over the last 800 years. You can feel the energy if you are aware.

2. The Pilgrim Experience is magnified on Frances because of the unique mix of pilgrims. You will encounter pilgrims of all ages, from babies with their parents, to 90 year olds. Mothers and Daughters. Fathers and Sons. I once walked with a Father, Son, and Grandfather. Occasionally you will come across pilgrims walking with dogs, or less so riding on horses. People who have lost their spouse or parents or children. Patients with late stage Cancer or other lethal diseases. People who have recovered from those same illnesses. Pilgrims in wheelchairs, with one leg, one arm, blind, etc.. The Camino Portuguese is similar, but definitely to a lesser extent. On the other Caminos, you will encounter more people with a hiker mentality. Also, Pilgrims who are on their second or third or more Caminos. They are less interested in Why you are on Pilgrimage. On the Camino Frances there is much more conversation as to your motivations and reasons for walking. Hence, Frances feels most like a Pilgrimage.

3. The Camino Spirit. This is an intangible, difficult to describe idiosyncrasy of the Camino Frances. The Pilgrim Experience above touches upon it. However, it’s more than that. Perhaps it’s the kindness and respect for pilgrims by Hospitaleros that offer you food and drink or a spot to rest observing you are hungry or tired. Or helping you get to another albergue when theirs is full. Perhaps one that sees you so tired they offer to put your sheets on your bed. Or take you to a doctor if you are sick. Or administer to and apply bandages to your heavily blistered feet. Or perhaps it is the kindness of pilgrims to other pilgrims. Sharing one’s food, offering to pay for a fellow pilgrim’s lunch or bed. Listening to your stories. Treating and bandaging other’s blisters. Or perhaps it is the kindness of local people who go out of their way to walk you to a Church or Albergue or offer to feed you or even provide a bed. Many pilgrims find that they keep running into the same people frequently, If so, approach that person and introduce yourself and explain your reasons for walking. You may find there is a reason you keep bumping into each other. I believe it is all these things and more that will make your pilgrimage special. You may find these occurrences on any Camino, but this magical spirit is strongest on Camino Frances.

Last to me, The Camino is a place that offers us a glimpse into the world as it should be. A place where simple acts of kindness overshadow all else. There seems to be less concern of money and material things. There is much more interest and concern in the pure joy of life and our spiritual side. People go out of their way to help you in all sorts of ways. There are many books written by pilgrims and very often they and other pilgrims talk about how their Pilgrimage was life changing.

A few recommended books:
  • 'To The Field of Stars by Kevin Codd. My favorite of the many books written by pilgrims of their actual pilgrimage and its impact on their life. What really draws me to this tale is the humbleness of the author who just happens to be a priest.
  • 'Walking Back Home' by Margaret Caffyn is a great read for anybody preparing to undertake their first Camino or Pilgrimage, especially women walking solo. She is a 60 year old woman who was told by most friends and family this was a bad idea but listened to her heart and undertook the Camino Frances. The first half is the story of her journey. The second half provides information to help one prepare for their Camino.
  • 'Walking on Edge' by Reino Gevers is a book that explores the spiritual aspect of the Camino. There are many books that address the journey but what makes this one different is the author's realization that the Camino is a journey within connecting you to your soul.
  • 'Iberia' by James Michener is perhaps dated, published in 1968 before the Camino became popular again. The book is a long nonfiction exploration of the history of Spain. The last chapter explores the historical side of the Camino. I found it to be illuminating with Michener's unique perspective and his conversations with local Camino experts.
So walk without expectations, seek to reconnect with your inner self, and look for ways to be of service to your fellow pilgrims and all others you encounter. Be aware of all around you as the Camino spirit may provide signs to guide you.

For those seeking the ultimate Experience, the most special of all Caminos is the one from your home. Many Europeans have this opportunity of course. For a few years after starting my Caminos, it finally dawned on me that us descendants of Europeans can also walk a dream pilgrimage if we know our ancestral homes. In 2018, I walked 3,800K from County Clare, Ireland to Santiago. It was the most special by far of my 15 Caminos. Find out more at It's A Long Way From Tipperary To Santiago.

After you decide which Camino is right for you it is advisable to review a Camino Packing List.

If you’re still undecided there are more detailed comparisons and descriptions available on my website:
  • How The Camino Del Norte Is Different From Camino Frances
  • How The Via De La Plata Is Different From The Camino Frances
  • How The Via Francigena (Canterbury to Rome) Is Different From The Camino De Santiago
  • How The Japan 88 Temple and Kumano Kodo Pilgrimages Are Different From The Camino De Santiago
  • How The Chemin DuPuy (Via Podiensis) Is Different From Camino Frances
  • Camino Ingles (Irish or English Way)
  • Camino Portuguese
  • Camino Primitivo
  • Camino de Madrid
  • Camino Aragones
  • Camino Invierno
  • Camino Levante
  • Via Francigena (Canterbury to Rome)
  • Via Francesco-Way of St. Francis
  • Inca Way to Machu Picchu and Choquiero
  • Japan 88 Buddhist Temple Pilgrimage
  • Japan Kumano Kodo Pilgrimage
  • Nepal Annapurna Circuit
  • Nepal Manaslu and Tsum Valley
Go to “globalpilgrim.net” for more information, pictures and links to the mentioned Caminos and other Global Pilgrimages.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
2. Camino Frances loses some energy after Sarria with the influx of tourist pilgrims. There is a huge number of pilgrims starting here that swells the numbers and often overwhelms the pilgrims coming from further away starting points such as Leon, Pamplona, and SJPP or somewhere in Europe. Large groups of 10 to 20 or more can be a nuisance. While there are ways to reduce the negative energy, this stretch is often a letdown for long distance pilgrims.

It depends on your mindset. I found renewed energy with all the shiny new pilgrims after Sarria.
Some of the large groups can be very joyous.
I kind of like being the "old pro" on the trail.
It's a way to reintegrate into post Camino life.
So I welcome the influx of new pilgrims, just so long as one of them doesn't take that last chocolate napolitana that I have my eye on!

For solo pilgrims, I suggest hooking up with one or more other long term pilgrims for this stretch as it is harder to connect with the short term pilgrims. That said, refrain from making assumptions.

If I am a pilgrim who has just walked a long stretch of the CF solo - from SJPDP for example - why would I want to hook up with others for the final 100km? I do enjoy most of my occasional encounters with other pilgrims but what I hope for most while I walk is solitude rather than companionship. There seems to be a huge assumption here that what we all are seeking is Kevin's cosy collective "pilgrim experience" which is defined in terms of building relationships with others. Isn't there room on the Caminos for a few quiet migratory hermits these days?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If I am a pilgrim who has just walked a long stretch of the CF solo - from SJPDP for example - why would I want to hook up with others for the final 100km? I do enjoy most of my occasional encounters with other pilgrims but what I hope for most while I walk is solitude rather than companionship. There seems to be a huge assumption here that what we all are seeking is Kevin's cosy collective "pilgrim experience" which is defined in terms of building relationships with others. Isn't there room on the Caminos for a few quiet migratory hermits these days?
You don’t seem to fet the gist of my intentions which are clearly stated in the first sentence. These were my opinions based on my experience. Your Camino is your Camino. Buen Camino!

It depends on your mindset. I found renewed energy with all the shiny new pilgrims after Sarria.
Some of the large groups can be very joyous.
I kind of like being the "old pro" on the trail.
It's a way to reintegrate into post Camino life.
So I welcome the influx of new pilgrims, just so long as one of them doesn't take that last chocolate napolitana that I have my eye on!

It does depend on your mindset. Of course. As mentioned I’ve met some of my best Camino buddies after Sarria. And had some great experiences. That said, the numbers can be overwhelming after Sarria depending on the time of year.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm also of the opinion that the CF is the best Camino. It has everything and it's the original Camino experience. And like you say, the crowding can be avoided. I've walked the last few years in June / July / August, enough people around for it to be interesting (the Camino is the people) but never a problem finding a bed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm also of the opinion that the CF is the best Camino. It has everything and it's the original Camino experience. And like you say, the crowding can be avoided. I've walked the last few years in June / July / August, enough people around for it to be interesting (the Camino is the people) but never a problem finding a bed.
Yes. Some people incorrectly assume I am negative on that part. On the contrary each and every day on The Camino is a gift. I have only had one bad day out of approximately 450 on The Camino. A year after that bad day I was grateful for the experience so I am back to 100% good days. 😊🙏😂

I enjoy and like your write up, but have to point out that you perpetuate my pet peeve.
"...with the influx of the pilgrims walking the last 100K to Santiago which still qualifies them for a Compostela...".
Unless something has changed recently, that last 100k is the only requirement for a Compostela.
Walk the first 700k for yourself, and the last 100k for the certificate (whatever your reason).
I'm an easy audience otherwise. I love the CF and everything about it. Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I enjoy and like your write up, but have to point out that you perpetuate my pet peeve.
"...with the influx of the pilgrims walking the last 100K to Santiago which still qualifies them for a Compostela...".
Unless something has changed recently, that last 100k is the only requirement for a Compostela.
Walk the first 700k for yourself, and the last 100k for the certificate (whatever your reason).
I don’t understand. I was simply stating a fact. As I mentioned multiple times each of us does our own Camino. I make no judgement on others. Walk 5k, drive your Camino and get stamps. It’s your Camino. Burn Camino to you and every pilgrim.

Hi guys,

First post!

My wife and I want to do the CF in March. How has the CF been affected due to COVID? Are masks still mandatory outdoors in Spain? We will be leaving from the UK, both fully vaccinated which I believe as of last week now means we can fly to France! :)

My wife and I want to do the CF in March. How has the CF been affected due to COVID? Are masks still mandatory outdoors in Spain? We will be leaving from the UK, both fully vaccinated which I believe as of last week now means we can fly to France!
The forum has lots of threads that discuss these very questions. If you look on the main list of Forums (click on "Forums" on the top bar of this page, or on the logo at the top, or here, you'll see how the forum is organized. Scroll down the list and you'll see there is a whole forum called "Covid & the Camino", and that includes mask use. One recent thread about masks is here.

Feel free to ask any specific questions on one of those threads, or create your own thread.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi guys,

First post!

My wife and I want to do the CF in March. How has the CF been affected due to COVID? Are masks still mandatory outdoors in Spain? We will be leaving from the UK, both fully vaccinated which I believe as of last week now means we can fly to France! :)
Have a browse through recent posts Rob; plenty of current peregrinos share their real-time experience on here. None of them can forecast what the situation will be like in March but I, and many others, will be there at the same time as you.

Currently it’s ‘feasible’ and one might hope that the situation will improve further in the coming months.

The current answers to your questions are ‘substantially - just like everything else’, ‘yes’ and ‘yes, with a pre-travel negative test; unlike Spain’

It may be best for me but each Pilgrim is unique. The better question to ask is, "Which Camino Is Best For Me?" Click on the link to see the full article and pictures of many Caminos and other Global Pilgrimages.

First of all, it is important to be aware that the Camino de Santiago is a personal journey and there is no right, wrong, best or worst Camino. These are my opinions based on my experiences. Do some research and walk the Camino that appeals or calls to you. There are many options and my website discusses and compares many of the various Caminos de Santiago. In addition to various Caminos in Spain, there are several routes in France; Via Podiensis, Tours, Vezelay, and Arles. In Portugal, the Portuguese Way. Also, there are options, including; the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome, The Via Francesca to Assisi, The Japan Kumano Kodo and 88 Buddhist Temple Pilgrimages, The Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, a Nepal Trek, and others.

Of course your health, amount of time, money, and other factors should play into the decision. The Camino Frances requires about €28-35 per day more or less. A bit longer if you walk to Finisterre and or Muxia which are both highly recommended. Walking a Camino in Spain should cost approximately €25-35 per day if you are staying mostly at albergues. €30 to €45 per day in France and Italy. €75 per day in Switzerland. €65 per day in Japan. €35-50 per day in Nepal. Feel free to send me a message if you have questions regarding time, cost, or degree of difficulty for any of these pilgrimages. Obviously, the costs can be less if you use a tent and cook your own meals. Higher if you opt for hotels over albergues.

As the Camino de Santiago evolves, one hears more and more negatives about Camino Frances, especially that it is too crowded with as many as 200,000 walking it in 2019. The popularity of the Camino Frances has furthered the development of lesser known Caminos throughout Spain, including; Del Norte, Portuguese Way, Primitivo, Via de la Plata (VDLP), The English (Irish) Way. Also the more obscure ones; Aragones, Invierno, Madrid, Levante, Sanabres, Catalan, Mozárabe, etc..

Del Norte is less crowded and offers more beautiful nature including spectacular coastal vistas. Via de la Plata(VDLP) offers a more quiet and solitary experience. The mountainous Primitivo is more scenic and challenging. The Portuguese Way offers 2 countries and cultures. While these and other Caminos are all wonderful and great in their own way, there is something quite special about the Camino Frances that makes it ideal for the first time pilgrim seeking something different. Especially if they are looking for a spiritual experience.

1. Too crowded. Well yes that is true. Of the 347,000 walking the Camino in 2019, 55% of all pilgrims walked the Frances. The highest numbers leave from SJPP in September and May. August sees thousands, especially groups of Spaniards beginning in Sarria.

3. A Race for beds. During the most crowded months there can be a race for beds which can take away from the joy of the walk. This problem has increased during the Covid era as some albergues are closed.

4. Too commercial. The Frances is certainly not a wilderness walk. There are frequent bars, restaurants, albergues, and hotels available all along the route. Some are not as pilgrim friendly as others. I met two Irishmen once that were stopping at every bar to have a pint. Not sure if they made it to Santiago but they seemed to be having a heck of a good time.

5. Too much pavement and urban walking. Yes there are some difficult stretches like Burgos and Leon and a good amount of pavement walking as well through smaller villages. This walk is very different from a wilderness trek like the Appalachian or Pacific Crest Trails.

Now that we have that out of the way, lets review the reasons why Camino Frances is the most special of all the Caminos in Spain and how you can optimize your pilgrimage:

1.While it can definitely be relatively crowded at times, there are ways to avoid the hoards. Some pilgrims walk in October to March when you will find the crowds to have thinned significantly. September and May are the busiest months. If it is in your nature, leaving early in the morning each day or later in the day can help with reducing the numbers you will see. A few days out of SJPP, after Pamplona the pilgrims seem to spread out and it seems not so crowded until you arrive in Sarria. Though there seem to be peaks and valleys, some people experience crowded conditions while another pilgrim a day or two behind may have no problem finding accommodation.

2. Admittedly, reaching Sarria pilgrims usually find the vibes change with the influx of the pilgrims walking the last 100K to Santiago which still qualifies them for a Compostela or Certificate of Completion. You can reduce this impact though. First, avoid stopping in the places suggested in the guide books, ie.; Sarria, Palas de Rei, Melide, Arzua. There are many albergues in quieter, smaller villages along this stretch. For solo pilgrims, I suggest hooking up with one or more other long term pilgrims for this stretch as it is harder to connect with the short term pilgrims. That said, refrain from making assumptions. Remain open as plenty of the short term pilgrims are beautiful spirits and some of my favorite pilgrim buddies were ones doing the 100K walk. You may want to reserve accommodation on this stretch especially during the high season. And avoid passing through Sarria on weekends if possible.

3. The race for beds can be a problem, especially once when I started from SJPP on Sept 10, 2019. This issue is related to avoiding the crowds so choosing your date and location to start can minimize this problem. If you are staying in albergues people are usually starting to shuffle around and prepare to leave by 5:30 or 6:00 so I naturally wake up early and like to avoid the crowds by getting ahead of them. It is also my favorite time of the day on the Camino as one can enjoy the dark sky fading into brilliant blue, red, orange hues before the glorious sunrises. If you choose to leave later in the morning to avoid the crowds it may be best to reserve at a private albergue. Of late, and especially during the Covid area, it has unfortunately become more challenging to walk without making accommodation reservations. Still doable though for purists.

4. Perhaps it being too commercial is true. However, this is a glass half empty kind of issue. Most albergues, bars, etc. are pilgrim friendly. Also, you will often discover rest stops offering food and drink on a donation basis. Some of the albergues are donativo, though their numbers are decreasing. That said, the albergues are still incredibly cheap at €5-10 for public albergues and €8-15 for private ones. And most importantly, the owners of the albergues, hospitaleros of the municipal and church albergues, are typically beautiful spirits putting their hearts and souls into creating an optimal pilgrim experience for each and every pilgrim. One of the special things about the Camino is that often you experience VIP service when paying just €5 to €10 Euro for your bed. In fact, the experience can sometimes be better than what you receive in a 5 star Hotel.

5. The Frances has a good amount of pavement which can create havoc on your feet. But all the Caminos have a good amount. Even Primitivo, which is considered a mountain trail. Frances, nor any of the other Caminos are wilderness trails like the Appalachian or Pacific Coast Trails. So the solution is simply to tolerate the tarmac and be thankful when you do find yourself on a dirt trail covered with pine needles in a forest. Also, take good care of your feet by placing preventative tape on toes and feet susceptible to blisters. Some pilgrims spread a preventive lubricant such as petroleum jelly on their feet before setting out each morning.

Now that we are less concerned with the negatives of Camino Frances let’s examine what makes it so special:

1. It’s History. The trail from Roncesvalles to Santiago is laden with cities, churches, a few castles, and natural spots that add historic and spiritual implications to your pilgrimage. A few examples include; Pamplona with its Feat of St. Fermin and Running of the Bulls and connection to Ernest Hemingway, the pass at Alto del Perdon, the Chickens of Santa Domingo de Calzado, Burgos and El Cid, Cruz de Ferro, and O Cebreiro and its story of the faithful shepherd. These and other stops can make your Camino special. Perhaps the most special stop is the Cathedral de Santiago, where on the center column of the old entrance, The Puerto de Gloria, is the hand indentation from the millions of pilgrims arriving over the last 800 years. You can feel the energy if you are aware.

2. The Pilgrim Experience is magnified on Frances because of the unique mix of pilgrims. You will encounter pilgrims of all ages, from babies with their parents, to 90 year olds. Mothers and Daughters. Fathers and Sons. I once walked with a Father, Son, and Grandfather. Occasionally you will come across pilgrims walking with dogs, or less so riding on horses. People who have lost their spouse or parents or children. Patients with late stage Cancer or other lethal diseases. People who have recovered from those same illnesses. Pilgrims in wheelchairs, with one leg, one arm, blind, etc.. The Camino Portuguese is similar, but definitely to a lesser extent. On the other Caminos, you will encounter more people with a hiker mentality. Also, Pilgrims who are on their second or third or more Caminos. They are less interested in Why you are on Pilgrimage. On the Camino Frances there is much more conversation as to your motivations and reasons for walking. Hence, Frances feels most like a Pilgrimage.

3. The Camino Spirit. This is an intangible, difficult to describe idiosyncrasy of the Camino Frances. The Pilgrim Experience above touches upon it. However, it’s more than that. Perhaps it’s the kindness and respect for pilgrims by Hospitaleros that offer you food and drink or a spot to rest observing you are hungry or tired. Or helping you get to another albergue when theirs is full. Perhaps one that sees you so tired they offer to put your sheets on your bed. Or take you to a doctor if you are sick. Or administer to and apply bandages to your heavily blistered feet. Or perhaps it is the kindness of pilgrims to other pilgrims. Sharing one’s food, offering to pay for a fellow pilgrim’s lunch or bed. Listening to your stories. Treating and bandaging other’s blisters. Or perhaps it is the kindness of local people who go out of their way to walk you to a Church or Albergue or offer to feed you or even provide a bed. Many pilgrims find that they keep running into the same people frequently, If so, approach that person and introduce yourself and explain your reasons for walking. You may find there is a reason you keep bumping into each other. I believe it is all these things and more that will make your pilgrimage special. You may find these occurrences on any Camino, but this magical spirit is strongest on Camino Frances.

Last to me, The Camino is a place that offers us a glimpse into the world as it should be. A place where simple acts of kindness overshadow all else. There seems to be less concern of money and material things. There is much more interest and concern in the pure joy of life and our spiritual side. People go out of their way to help you in all sorts of ways. There are many books written by pilgrims and very often they and other pilgrims talk about how their Pilgrimage was life changing.

A few recommended books:
  • 'To The Field of Stars by Kevin Codd. My favorite of the many books written by pilgrims of their actual pilgrimage and its impact on their life. What really draws me to this tale is the humbleness of the author who just happens to be a priest.
  • 'Walking Back Home' by Margaret Caffyn is a great read for anybody preparing to undertake their first Camino or Pilgrimage, especially women walking solo. She is a 60 year old woman who was told by most friends and family this was a bad idea but listened to her heart and undertook the Camino Frances. The first half is the story of her journey. The second half provides information to help one prepare for their Camino.
  • 'Walking on Edge' by Reino Gevers is a book that explores the spiritual aspect of the Camino. There are many books that address the journey but what makes this one different is the author's realization that the Camino is a journey within connecting you to your soul.
  • 'Iberia' by James Michener is perhaps dated, published in 1968 before the Camino became popular again. The book is a long nonfiction exploration of the history of Spain. The last chapter explores the historical side of the Camino. I found it to be illuminating with Michener's unique perspective and his conversations with local Camino experts.
So walk without expectations, seek to reconnect with your inner self, and look for ways to be of service to your fellow pilgrims and all others you encounter. Be aware of all around you as the Camino spirit may provide signs to guide you.

For those seeking the ultimate Experience, the most special of all Caminos is the one from your home. Many Europeans have this opportunity of course. For a few years after starting my Caminos, it finally dawned on me that us descendants of Europeans can also walk a dream pilgrimage if we know our ancestral homes. In 2018, I walked 3,800K from County Clare, Ireland to Santiago. It was the most special by far of my 15 Caminos. Find out more at It's A Long Way From Tipperary To Santiago.

After you decide which Camino is right for you it is advisable to review a Camino Packing List.

If you’re still undecided there are more detailed comparisons and descriptions available on my website:
  • How The Via Francigena (Canterbury to Rome) Is Different From The Camino De Santiago
  • How The Japan 88 Temple and Kumano Kodo Pilgrimages Are Different From The Camino De Santiago
  • Camino Portuguese
  • Camino Primitivo
  • Camino de Madrid
  • Camino Aragones
  • Camino Invierno
  • Camino Levante
Click on GlobalPilgrim.net for more information, pictures and links to the mentioned Caminos and other Global Pilgrimages.
Hi Kevin. I'm a Canadian from the small town of Oliver, British Columbia. Thanks for posting this article. I did my Camino France's in 2019 for the six weeks starting the 2nd week of September and ending October 29th. I used the full-sized guide book written by John Brierley which was so valuable for me as its maps always show both the "slightly" shorter regular low lying "red" highlighted walking routes as well as the more challenging but less crowded and more wilderness oriented "green" highlighted routes. I always opted for the green routes, but invariably, sometimes there are breaks in these green routes and the pilgrim has no choice but to go with the red coloured route for a few kilometers or so. But that was okay because it enabled me to meet some of the most wonderful people I've ever met in my life, as I walked in groups or just with one other person. Amazingly I met a woman pilgrim at a nice charity run hostel along the way who was from my country and had spent a summer working as a fruit picker in my town of Oliver, British Columbia Canada and she and I set out the following morning hiking together until about noon. I only stayed in government subsidized hostels for all of my Camino until I arrived in Santiago de Compostela and the government hostels were booked solid, so I stayed in a regular private enterprise one which had low rates. I had the odd outbreak if bed bug bites during my Camino and as luck would have it an Australian lady pilgrim was heading back to her country and she gave me her silk sleeping sack made in Nepal and this prevented any further bed bug bites for me. Santiago de Compostela was jamb packed with Pilgrims when I was there but I found that exhilarating and really got off on the group energy of it. But after receiving my regular and my "detailed" Compostela certificates, I kept walking onwards up the Atlantic coastline to Finisterra where I received another certificate and from there carried on further up the coastline to Muxia where I received another certificate as well. From Muxia I boarded a bus back to Santiago de Compostela, it was the first time in 6 weeks that I'd travelled anytime and anywhere other than by walking, and by now I had a limp as I really pushed myself hard to get to Muxia from Finisterra in one day, (about 35 km). The best bar I've been to in my life was in Muxia, great beer and free tapas as well as great hamberguesas. I didn't know that my Camino was a record year for numbers of people walking it, wow, 300,000! Oddly, it didn't seem crowded at all to me. When I got off the bus after my trip back from Muxia to Santiago de Compostela I stayed in a nice hotel, and in the morning got the train back to Madrid where I originally landed at the Madrid airport from Canada. I stayed the night in Madrid in another nice hotel, it was a real treat after all the hostel life, which was good too as I got to meet so many fellow Pilgrims. As well, the hostels were Co-ed, and in one I met a nice young French couple who were carrying their little four month old child their back. Well, I hope this posting of mine can serve as a positive testimonial for any aspiring Camino hikers. Cheers, Mike Miller, (Oliver, Canada).

Hi Kevin. I'm a Canadian from the small town of Oliver, British Columbia. Thanks for posting this article. I did my Camino France's in 2019 for the six weeks starting the 2nd week of September and ending October 29th. I used the full-sized guide book written by John Brierley which was so valuable for me as its maps always show both the "slightly" shorter regular low lying "red" highlighted walking routes as well as the more challenging but less crowded and more wilderness oriented "green" highlighted routes. I always opted for the green routes, but invariably, sometimes there are breaks in these green routes and the pilgrim has no choice but to go with the red coloured route for a few kilometers or so. But that was okay because it enabled me to meet some of the most wonderful people I've ever met in my life, as I walked in groups or just with one other person. Amazingly I met a woman pilgrim at a nice charity run hostel along the way who was from my country and had spent a summer working as a fruit picker in my town of Oliver, British Columbia Canada and she and I set out the following morning hiking together until about noon. I only stayed in government subsidized hostels for all of my Camino until I arrived in Santiago de Compostela and the government hostels were booked solid, so I stayed in a regular private enterprise one which had low rates. I had the odd outbreak if bed bug bites during my Camino and as luck would have it an Australian lady pilgrim was heading back to her country and she gave me her silk sleeping sack made in Nepal and this prevented any further bed bug bites for me. Santiago de Compostela was jamb packed with Pilgrims when I was there but I found that exhilarating and really got off on the group energy of it. But after receiving my regular and my "detailed" Compostela certificates, I kept walking onwards up the Atlantic coastline to Finisterra where I received another certificate and from there carried on further up the coastline to Muxia where I received another certificate as well. From Muxia I boarded a bus back to Santiago de Compostela, it was the first time in 6 weeks that I'd travelled anytime and anywhere other than by walking, and by now I had a limp as I really pushed myself hard to get to Muxia from Finisterra in one day, (about 35 km). The best bar I've been to in my life was in Muxia, great beer and free tapas as well as great hamberguesas. I didn't know that my Camino was a record year for numbers of people walking it, wow, 300,000! Oddly, it didn't seem crowded at all to me. When I got off the bus after my trip back from Muxia to Santiago de Compostela I stayed in a nice hotel, and in the morning got the train back to Madrid where I originally landed at the Madrid airport from Canada. I stayed the night in Madrid in another nice hotel, it was a real treat after all the hostel life, which was good too as I got to meet so many fellow Pilgrims. As well, the hostels were Co-ed, and in one I met a nice young French couple who were carrying their little four month old child their back. Well, I hope this posting of mine can serve as a positive testimonial for any aspiring Camino hikers. Cheers, Mike Miller, (Oliver, Canada).
Sounds like a wonderful Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"I don’t understand. I was simply stating a fact. As I mentioned multiple times each of us does our own Camino. I make no judgement on others. Walk 5k, drive your Camino and get stamps. It’s your Camino. Burn Camino to you and every pilgrim."

Sorry, Kevin. I do not mean to attack you personally, or what you wrote. We agree on the CF completely.
Your phasing just pinched my nerve, and I had to say something. Please accept my sincere apology.
Buen Camino, amigo. :D

4. Perhaps it being too commercial is true. However, this is a glass half empty kind of issue. Most albergues, bars, etc. are pilgrim friendly. Also, you will often discover rest stops offering food and drink on a donation basis. Some of the albergues are donativo, though their numbers are decreasing. That said, the albergues are still incredibly cheap at €5-10 for public albergues and €8-15 for private ones. And most importantly, the owners of the albergues, hospitalarios of the municipal and church albergues, are typically beautiful spirits putting their hearts and souls into creating an optimal pilgrim experience for each and every pilgrim. One of the special things about the Camino is that often you experience VIP service when paying just €5 to €10 Euro for your bed. In fact, the experience can sometimes be better than what you receive in a 5 star Hotel.

A few recommended books:

• Camino Portuguese
  • Camino Primitivo
  • Camino de Madrid
  • Camino Aragones
  • Camino Invierno
  • Camino Levante
Click on GlobalPilgrim.net for more information, pictures and links to the mentioned Caminos and other Global Pilgrimages.
Thank you for your insight and opinions. I have the CF as my first choice, despite having walked many different Caminos for a number of years. It sings a special tune in me.

I completely agree with your recommendation of the book(s) by Kevin Codd. It is a good investment to read them before you go. A very honest and humble priest. Here is a link to Amazon:

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It does depend on your mindset. Of course. As mentioned I’ve met some of my best Camino buddies after Sarria. And had some great experiences. That said, the numbers can be overwhelming after Sarria depending on the time of year.
That's why I think that it's best to prepare for the "shock" of the influx of new pilgrims at that point by finding positives about the opportunity to meet new people, the joy of the school and family groups of Spaniards, etc. We need to remember the excitement that we had when we were starting out and posing for pictures in the front of the 790 km sign in Roncesvalles.

20170705_153158.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

A few recommended books:

• Camino Portuguese
  • Camino Primitivo
  • Camino de Madrid
  • Camino Aragones
  • Camino Invierno
  • Camino Levante
Go to “globalpilgrim.net” for more information, pictures and links to the mentioned Caminos and other Global Pilgrimages.
Thank you so much for this wonderful post and information. As a pilgrim to be ( April this year) this fills me hope and excitement of finally doing the Camino Frances. A burning desire for years now. 🙏⭐

A few recommended books:

• Camino Portuguese
  • Camino Primitivo
  • Camino de Madrid
  • Camino Aragones
  • Camino Invierno
  • Camino Levante
Thank you for your summary Kevin, it has really helped me. My first Camino was the northern route, encompassing the Primativo. Iv been feeling called to walk the Francese this year, starting in mid August,but have received many negative comments especially in regards to it being overcrowded. I really appreciate your balanced and realistic reflections on this topic and look forward to walking it with a receptive and open heart 💓
Louise

Thank you for your summary Kevin, it has really helped me. My first Camino was the northern route, encompassing the Primativo. Iv been feeling called to walk the Francese this year, starting in mid August,but have received many negative comments especially in regards to it being overcrowded. I really appreciate your balanced and realistic reflections on this topic and look forward to walking it with a receptive and open heart 💓
Louise
Thanks very much Louise. This post also may help you: How the Del Norte Is Different From Camino Frances.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

A few recommended books:

• Camino Portuguese
  • Camino Primitivo
  • Camino de Madrid
  • Camino Aragones
  • Camino Invierno
  • Camino Levante
Balanced, informative and comprehensive!

Hi Mike, I live just down the road from you, in Nelson. I'm curious about flying in and out of Madrid, and how you got from there to SJPdP? I have gone via Paris and Barcelona, and each of them involves trains and buses, and, even, an Uber, to get there. I enjoyed your summary, by the way :)

I don't know which Camino route is best, and I have done the Frances and Portugues. For me the Frances was the most enjoyable and I guess one could say it is my favorite. All my experiences were on the Camino pre-Covid-19, so I have no idea what it is like now or what the future holds for any of the routes. Will it ever be like it once was? Who knows? I hope so. Despite the griping and complaining you read on this forum sometimes from members who dislike large groups of pilgrims, I personally liked the energy and vibe they can bring. If I wanted to experience 100% solitude I'd go on a wilderness hike lol.
My experiences on the Frances were all during the height of the walking season. The months of June through October. At times quite a few pilgrims, before and after Sarria. At times I walked alone all day. There were times I walked into a town I wanted to stay in and had to find a place to stay after encountering 2-3 albergues that were full. Other times the albergues were not filled and a few times there were very few pilgrims in large albergues in popular towns and on a couple of occasions I was the lone pilgrim in a large albergue (interesting experience lol). One would never know what they'd encounter day to day. That was pretty cool. I never played the bed race game, though on a few occasions I did rush too much or start out in the dark, very early. Still, I'd rather sleep outside for the night than be a robot bed racer, not smelling the roses.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think you are saying you are just fine with people who walk 100K for their Compostela. I couldn’t agree more. We each walk our own Camino.

Thank you. Excellent summing up of the situation today. There are still reasons to do the Francès, but people should be made aware what to expect. Moments for meditation, peace, being alone, or being in touch with nature are rare. Busy Francès as a first experience is still a must. I have done a number of caminos and every one has its unique character. Some of them were very lonely.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Kevin, indeed I enjoyed reading your summary! Thank you for this.

@ Gilberto del Camino, we shouldn't make anyone to be aware what to expect on anything! No expectations keep your mind free......once i walked from my hometown to Santiago in a "pre Smartphone age" with hardly any knowledge about "The Camino".
Just inspired by an older Lady, who walked from her door in France to Santiago and she showed me her credentials and shared her experiences with me, meantime she was crying (i was overwhelmed by her story).
So i just carried four Guidebooks (ca.2kg) for each country i wanted to walk through, with me.
My punchline is, to know how my Camino was, take therefore all adjectives and built the highest form of them!
I'm convinced that the Stars lead us anyway....

enjoy

Wonderful post and details well the cons but especially the pros of the CF as I have battled with the many alternatives for a short Camino due time, and especially as you say: "The Camino is a place that offers us a glimpse into the world as it should be. A place where simple acts of kindness overshadow all else."

After I walk a half-dozen more caminos I hope I'll be able to offer my opinion on which is the best! Your Point 2 always jumps out at me as the perfect example of just how different each of our individual pilgrimages are.

I actually didn't encounter the huge crowds after Sarria ... I encountered them at the beginning of the CF. There was a corporate "event" happening with sponsored walkers (the rumor was that it was coca-cola), there was an Italian club with hundreds of bicyclers, and groups of party-pilgrims around Pamplona who I only saw for a few days. I guess the energy changes day-by-day.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
After I walk a half-dozen more caminos I hope I'll be able to offer my opinion on which is the best! Your Point 2 always jumps out at me as the perfect example of just how different each of our individual pilgrimages are.

I actually didn't encounter the huge crowds after Sarria ... I encountered them at the beginning of the CF. There was a corporate "event" happening with sponsored walkers (the rumor was that it was coca-cola), there was an Italian club with hundreds of bicyclers, and groups of party-pilgrims around Pamplona who I only saw for a few days. I guess the energy changes day-by-day.
Of course. Each pilgrim’s experience is different. Just a humble opinion.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back