• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why the Camino Frances?

Varda

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi all. I'm wondering why folks choose the Frances route over the other ones. Practical reasons? Spiritual considerations? I'd love to know what goes into making that decision as I begin planning my own camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Practically, it is the best supported and easiest to walk, with food and lodging every few kilometers.
Historically, it is the most walked and best known.
Spiritually? I don't think so. I found more peace on the Aragones and VDLP.
Those are my opinions...

Personally I think the Camino Francés sounds too busy and would not wish to walk it, I would prefer to choose a quieter more contemplative route. After all I am a happy hermit - :)
HH

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree with Annie. The infrastructure of the Frances makes for an easy (easier) journey. It is the most popular and populous route, mainly because it is the one that is most publicised. I walked the Frances because it was the one that I had heard of, could find a published guide to, and could get to one of the arbitrary start points without too much effort. I found out about the web of routes while I was on that journey and subsequently through this forum and other sources on the blessed 'Net.

The spiritual destination for some is Santiago and for some Fisterra / Finisterre; for some it is the journey itself. And it has to be said that for some the journey is just a tick on the to do / bucket list of achievements and a chance to web a selfie in the Plaza Obradoiro or the lighthouse.

Happy planning

Practically, it is the best supported and easiest to walk, with food and lodging every few kilometers.
Historically, it is the most walked and best known.
Spiritually? I don't think so. I found more peace on the Aragones and VDLP.
Those are my opinions...
Hey Annie, I'm intrigued. What route would be the VDLP?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When I decided to go I thought the camino went from Roncesvalles to Santiago. Midway through making arrangements to go I found I could start in SJPdP. When I got to SJPdP I met people who had walked from Le Puy ... my first hint that there were more ways than the Camino Frances.

Now, after having seen the network of caminos across Europe, I'm wondering if there shouldn't also be a way that starts on the west coast of North America ... and eventually gets to St Johns ... a camino del gringo perhaps ... From there the hard bitten ones could row to Galacia.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I learnt a little French at school but no Spanish, it was obvious to me that I would have fewer problems with language on the C.F. than on another Camino.
:oops:

As well as being practical for accommodation and other facilities the Camino Frances is also very sociable. You'll meet other pilgrims at any time of year. That's not to say its a big party, but if you enjoy new company or the reassurance of knowing that other people are nearby the CF is right up there. Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Walking into and out of countries, and even regions within regions, I have become so much more aware of how not only each route but each mile of the route has it's own unique 'terroir'. Though one meets with kindness and grace wherever one walks the greatest act of individual generosity I've experienced to date has been in Germany. It's true that moments of personal reflection and prayer do seem to rise and flow with much more ease on solitary, or at least less travelled, paths. But those route choices also come with the need to be far more alert and route aware-so one is alway 'on point' (I have learned to adapt my Rosary to include a quick 'signage sweep' after each 'Ave':eek:)
And in each country I've walked through, apart from Spain, I've had, at various levels, to 'explain' myself-the 'who, what and why' I'm doing it (and let me stress I don't mind doing that) So all in all choosing other routes is a little like following the course of a tributary downstream- to varying degrees there's always a bit of 'bushwhacking' that has to go on and that can be charming, challenging, enjoyable, adventurous, exciting.....but distracting!
On the CF (and probably all the other Spanish routes?) even though you're walking across one of the biggest countries in Europe one with profound, and proudly held, geographic, economic, political, social and cultural differences there is a powerful underlying and consistent 'current' that one feels immediately but it's hard to describe (sorry!). It means that an elderly lady feeding her chickens outside a tiny hamlet, a young businessman powering along a busy city street or a bunch of stoned but charming youths at a street party all not only give time to help/redirect/give information to a bewildered pilgrim they 'recognise' a pilgrim and seem to understand and respect, in an almost instinctive and visceral way, the concept of pilgrimage itself-in the very broadest sense of that word.
Perhaps it's that comprehensive popular understanding of, and sympathy towards, pilgrimage (specifically pilgrimage to their national saint?) that is so different? I've never had to 'explain' my pilgrim self to Spain because, it seems, Spain already knows who, what and why I'm am. And I do look forward to being a mindless (in the best sense) pilgrim back in the powerful flow of that mainstream once again.
I don't know what route you should take or where you should begin but I do know that en route to Santiago De Compostela you will, like all of us, end up walking, literally and metaphorically, into the heart of Spain.

Last edited:
On the CF (and probably all the other Spanish routes?) even though you're walking across one of the biggest countries in Europe one with profound, and proudly held, geographic, economic, political, social and cultural differences there is a powerful underlying and consistent 'current' that one feels immediately but is hard to describe (sorry!). It means that an elderly lady feeding her chickens outside a tiny hamlet, a young businessman powering along a busy city street or a bunch of stoned but charming youths at a street party all not only give time to help/redirect/give information to a bewildered pilgrim they 'recognise' a pilgrim and seem to understand and respect, in an almost instinctive and visceral way, the concept of pilgrimage itself-in the very broadest sense of that word.
Perhaps it's that comprehensive popular understanding of, and sympathy towards, pilgrimage (specifically pilgrimage to their national saint?) that is so different? I've never had to 'explain' my pilgrim self to Spain because, it seems, Spain already knows who, what and why I'm am. And I do look forward to be a mindless (in the best sense) pilgrim back in the powerful flow of that mainstream once again.
I don't know what route you should take or where you should begin but I do know that en route to Santiago De Compostela you will, like all of us, end up walking, literally and metaphorically, into the heart of Spain.

Nellpilgrim, beautifully phrased.
I wonder if it is the same on other Spanish routes?

Definitely yes....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had as much time as I wanted to walk the Camino. I could have chosen the VDLP or Norte, but I chose the VF because I was worried about what kind of shape I was in - I wanted to avoid the longer stretches between albuergues I was warned about on the VDLP. We didn't walk in the high season so I figured the social aspect would be enhanced on the VF. Too, the VDLP is longer and I wanted to spend any extra time visiting towns off the Camino.
And we figured since the Norte ran along the coast so much we'd be pretty cold and windy at the time of year we were walking it (April and May) - though I have no idea if that is true - I just spent a VERY cold April on the French Coast once and didn't want to experience that on the Camino.
I am happy with the choice we made, but when I walk it again I will walk the VDLP.
I don't speak any French and it never came up on the VF. I speak Spanish and even in SJPP, when all the English speakers at the Compostella office were busy we dealt with a woman in Spanish.

For us, the social aspect is a big part of wanting to go. We are interested in meeting people along the way, hanging out, sharing wine and food, having interesting conversations... so in addition to the infrastructure on the Camino Frances, the fact that there are plenty of other people on the route was an important consideration.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Aside from that is the historical aspect. The French Way is not the "oldest" camino, but it is the most richly endowed with stories, legends, art, architecture, music, etc., all of it somehow linked to the pilgrimage to Santiago. It is wonderful to walk a route where each town and city has seen a thousand years of pilgrim traffic, to feel the "vibes" of all the pilgrims who walked there before you, and see the monuments and treasures they left behind. There´s noplace like it anywhere in the world.

If I was travelling with another person, I would probably opt for a less-traveled route. Since I'm the only one I know crazy enough to go on pilgrimage for a month, the French Way makes sense because it is more densely populated with pilgrims. There is safety in numbers and I'm a social creature...

Personally I think the Camino Francés sounds too busy and would not wish to walk it, I would prefer to choose a quieter more contemplative route. After all I am a happy hermit - :)
HH
I love the crowds and love to meet up with other pilgrims. That is why I love the Camino Frances.
I have also learned how to be alone and by myself in the crowd. Gives me peace.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back